PDA

View Full Version : How long for leg/foot to heal?

Sher.Fla
05-28-2010, 05:04 PM
10 days ago, Lily, my Yorkie/Maltese mix, mis-jumped up to my recliner and fell backwards off the foot rest. When she jumped back on she was holding her left back leg up off the chair. By Friday, she was walking very gingerly on it, but still holding it up off the floor/ground when standing, so I took her to the vet. She xrayed it and said nothing was broken. She also felt around it and said the only place Lily seemed to react was around her toe area. I was 'dismissed' with only that. If I hadn't asked her if I should limit her in any way, she wouldn't have told me. She said, "yes, jumping, running".. (for those that read my other post titled "Time for a new vet", you will understand about this vet. This was the visit that prompted me to write that thread.)....

Anyway, it is now 10 days later and Lily is still walking on it on our short walks, but again very gingerly, but continues to hold it up off the ground when standing... I notice she does put it down once in a while now. But this is really bothering me that it is lasting so long. She does jump up on the couch and then on the back of the couch to look out of her favorite window and continues to jump up on the recliner with me. I don't think there is any way I could stop her from making these jumps. I don't think she is in any great amount of pain. She wants to play with the 'laser' beam, but I don't do it, because there is too much running and twisting around when she does that and I am sure she would really mess her leg/foot/toes(?). She just can't understand why we can't play with it as we usually do it every day.

Is there anything else the vet should have done for Lily? Anti-inflammatory shot? pain pills? Anything I can give her? Ibuprofen?

Also, I showed her a little bump on her nose that feels like a tiny wart. It started with a little nick from the groomer a couple of weeks ago and that is how it healed... She felt it and said... "yeah, it feels like a little mass".... end of conversation... I just didn't feel comfortable pressing her for more information... any of you ever have a little nick heal like this? It is just a tiny hard bump.

I am going to take Lily in next week to a new vet that I have heard good things about. Hopefully she is taking new patients and I hope to have answers to both of Lily's problems... In the meantime, any replies would be appreciated.

I am sorry this is so long...

Thanks so much...:)

Karen
05-28-2010, 05:06 PM
It does seem too long if nothing really is broken, I think taking her to a new vet is the right thing to so.

pomtzu
05-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Maybe it's just a sprain, and she isn't resting it enough to completely heal.
From what you've said in this thread, and the other about finding a new vet, I'd say it's definitely time, and well overdue.
And you should be able to ask any reputable vet anything, without feeling uncomfortable about it. Afterall - that's part of what you're paying for.
PLEASE change vets soon. You aren't doing yourself or Lily any good by continuing with this present one, who appears not to care about anything other than collecting her fee. :mad:

Sher.Fla
05-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks a bunch... yeah, she collected $135 for that little visit... :rolleyes: a little much, I think...

Asiel
05-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Ibuprofen should never be given to dogs or cats, ever. It isn't a med any vet uses because of the severe side effects.

pomtzu
05-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Ibuprofen should never be given to dogs or cats, ever. It isn't a med any vet uses because of the severe side effects.

Very true.

Baby aspirin is acceptable, but I'd still check with a vet before giving any "people" meds. I have Myndi on one baby aspirin twice a day - she weighs 10 pounds - and this is with her vet's approval, of course.

Seravieve
05-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Glad to hear you've found a new vet to try out based on others' recommendations. I think that is definitely needed, as your other vet sounds rather dismissive of everything.

The vet could have given a week's worth of Deramaxx, or something similar, as an anti-inflammatory medicine. That's what we always seem to get when anyone gets hurt. I'd probably limit her activity more too.

If it continues to bother her, it could be some kind of torn ligament or strain. We thought Eli had just hurt his leg, and a month later he was still limping... 2nd opinion found that he had actually torn his ACL.

Hope the new vet has some better ideas. =)

Catlady711
05-29-2010, 04:49 PM

Very true.

Baby aspirin is acceptable, but I'd still check with a vet before giving any "people" meds.

Definately agree, NEVER EVER give Ibuprofen/Tylonol to pets!! I would NOT reccomend Asprin either as it can interfere with anything the vet may want to give for pain. This would cause you to have to go an additional WEEK without any meds to get the Asprin out of the system before starting any other meds.

Limit the activity dramatically, and see the new vet soon. It could be a strain, torn/damaged ACL, hairline fracture (if you didn't trust the vet, I wouldn't trust the x-ray interpretation).

Depending on the injury things can heal anywhere from a couple weeks, to a couple months. You'd need a good vet to have a look to know for sure.

pomtzu
05-29-2010, 05:18 PM
I would NOT reccomend Asprin either as it can interfere with anything the vet may want to give for pain. This would cause you to have to go an additional WEEK without any meds to get the Asprin out of the system before starting any other meds.

No - I would not recommend anything without first consulting with a vet. I meant that aspirin is safe to use (with vet approval/knowledge), where as Ibuprofen is not. Sorry for any confusion.

Sher.Fla
05-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Thank you so much for your opinions. Lily is actually seeming to be a little better the last day or so. She is putting her foot down when standing more and more. I think she is slowly getting better. When she walks there is no limp or anything. It just looks to me like when she first starts out that she is walking 'softer' on it, but after a while she walks normally. We are still going to the new vet this coming week. She is due for some shots regardless of the leg issue.

Thanks again for your replies..:)