PDA

View Full Version : Why post "horrible" stories.

happylabs
05-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Why do people find it necessary to post on here things like "the worst animal abuse case", etc.?

When I see those topics I stear clear of them.

Does anyone here really want to read these topics? If so, why? Just curious.

Alysser
05-27-2010, 11:56 AM
In my opinion, I just don't think it's good to be sheltered to the sad and awful things that go on in this world. I was oblivious to it for awhile and look where it got me last summer. While I prefer happy stories, I think a mix of both is necessary.

pomtzu
05-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Well, I suppose you can look at it as being informative. I personally don't care to see or read about them, since I'm aware of what goes on, not just a particular incident. I really do appreciate it when a new thread such as this is started, and the originator is thoughtful enough to put a warning on it. I have seen some that had no warning, and I started to read, without knowing what I was in for. Now that upsets me a lot.

caseysmom
05-27-2010, 12:20 PM
My pet peeve is people that just post random news stories and don't even comment on them...I can go read the news.

Catty1
05-27-2010, 12:25 PM
From March 22, 2003: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=23125

We have created a new forum for any post that is in some way controversial, upsetting, or just makes us go eeeew! In it are threads about the war, debates and arguments about religion, patriotism and politics, and the recipe for "poop cake."

Those posts have been "sent to The Dog House." If you are easily upset, The Dog House is not a place you want to go.

We do not mean any offense to dogs in naming it "The Dog House."

Pet Talk is designed to be a friendly place for people who know how special pets really are. It's not a suitable place for discussing the nature of war, which religion is "the true religion," or truly controversial subjects.

Many of our members, however, are compelled to discuss these issues. We have created "The Dog House" so that our members may share their thoughts in a friendly, caring considerate manner.

Don't be offended if your post is moved into The Dog House. If you are upset by a particular post in another forum, and think it needs to be sent to The Dog House, you can Private Message or email me or Paul. We know every pet is special, and every member of Pet Talk is special, too. We are just trying to make Pet Talk the friendliest place we can for all our members.

happylabs
05-27-2010, 12:47 PM
From March 22, 2003: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=23125

Thanks for posting that. I think that was before I was a member here. I have gone through some tough times of my own and right now I am trying to avoid negative topics. I guess I am an ostrich. :D

Randi
05-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Helen, I think it's good you brought the topic up. Personally, I don't like to read stories about animal abuse, so I simply stay clear of them. ;)

Queen of Poop
05-27-2010, 12:56 PM
I think they are important stories and we need to at least know of them. It's the only way we can push to have animal rights put front and centre. To make the punishment for the humans more than just a slap on the wrist.

Karen
05-27-2010, 01:02 PM
That's why the Dog House exists, so the "horrible" stories are easy to avoid.

Laura's Babies
05-27-2010, 02:32 PM
I think we need a mix of BOTH just to remind us of how much cruelity there is out there in the world and to remind us to be more aware. A lot of them I don't read or watch the actual video but it reminds me that it happens in the world and makes me more protective of mine.

smokey the elder
05-27-2010, 03:19 PM
One does not need to click on the link. It is entirely appropriate that fair warning be given.

Medusa
05-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I posted that "horrible" story b/c I hoped that people would sign the petition to impose a stiffer penalty on these people. I didn't view the video and I don't intend to but I also can't be an ostrich. I can't put my head in the sand and pretend that life is always a pink bubble. These animals were cruelly treated and if we aren't made aware of these cases, then we can't help them. If we can't help them, then we have no business calling ourselves animal lovers. We all have problems and we all go through rough times but I would venture to say that NONE of us have EVER had the things done to us that were done to these poor, defenseless animals w/no voice. Ohio's animal abuse laws are archaic and need to be changed so that longer sentences and stiffer penalties will be imposed upon the perpetrators of such crimes. The louder the outcry, the better we stand a chance of helping an animal live its life w/o being abused and tortured. Really, I'm amazed that anyone would object to hearing of such cases. Don't view the video; I didn't but don't hide your eyes either. PLEASE. The animals need us.

moosmom
05-27-2010, 06:20 PM
I see enough abuse as a volunteer and I try to avoid those "horrible" stories. I know they're out there, I just can't stomach them anymore.

Freedom
05-27-2010, 06:53 PM
There are things in the Dog House I will read. But I don't open the animal abuse stories. I appreciate the warning in the title, and wish some titles weren't telling so much already! And as someone said, the ones with no warning, OM GOSH! Please people!

happylabs
05-27-2010, 08:09 PM
I posted that "horrible" story b/c I hoped that people would sign the petition to impose a stiffer penalty on these people. I didn't view the video and I don't intend to but I also can't be an ostrich. I can't put my head in the sand and pretend that life is always a pink bubble. These animals were cruelly treated and if we aren't made aware of these cases, then we can't help them. If we can't help them, then we have no business calling ourselves animal lovers. We all have problems and we all go through rough times but I would venture to say that NONE of us have EVER had the things done to us that were done to these poor, defenseless animals w/no voice. Ohio's animal abuse laws are archaic and need to be changed so that longer sentences and stiffer penalties will be imposed upon the perpetrators of such crimes. The louder the outcry, the better we stand a chance of helping an animal live its life w/o being abused and tortured. Really, I'm amazed that anyone would object to hearing of such cases. Don't view the video; I didn't but don't hide your eyes either. PLEASE. The animals need us.

I didn't know it was just a link to a video. Also, I don't generally sign online petitions either. But it is good that you had a warning in the title.

Medusa
05-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Also, I don't generally sign online petitions either.

Nor do I but www.change.org has the petition and I believe in their work, so I thought I'd pass it along to people w/a conscience. I certainly wouldn't twist anyone's arm; that's not my style but if enough people demand justice for animals, perhaps Ohio's laws will change and other states will follow suit. Sometimes people turn a blind eye and a deaf ear b/c it isn't a fuzzy kitten or a cute puppy that has been abused and that has to change. Moosmom posted in the Dog House about a man, Kyle Berry, who abused and killed kittens, asked for our support in giving her slogans for signs while she stood outside the court house and even posted his photo and asked us all to forward it so that he could never adopt again. I heartily supported her efforts as did most PTers. I asked only that people sign the petition to prevent this group of people and one man in particular from getting a slap on the wrist. Ninety days in jail is not enough. He already posted bond. As I've repeatedly mentioned, I did not view the video and I did not expect others to do what I myself could not do. However, a little support for abused animals is not too much to ask from people that profess to love animals. Perhaps that's where I made my mistake b/c this web site is called Pet Talk and not Animal Talk.

chocolatepuppy
05-27-2010, 09:35 PM
I agree we need to post about animal abuse. Who will be the voice for these animals if no animal people know about them? I wouldn't judge anyone for not wanting to read or see pictures/videos about the abuse. But someone has to know about it in order for something to be done about it.

Grace
05-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Before anyone signs an online petition, they should read this - http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.asp

carole
05-27-2010, 10:11 PM
I am also one that steers clear of these posts, mainly because i did read one some time ago and it haunted me, i could not sleep at nights, thinking about it and it really made me physically ill, so for me i just have to stay away.

I am not ignorant to what goes on in this unkind world of our's and i think sometimes we have to put it out there for others who chose to read it,again if it helps animals in anyway then i can only be for it, just for me personally it is not what i need to read,me reading it is not going to change anything,except make me distraught.

Catty1
05-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Grace, I agree - the Snopes article, however, refers to epetitions, that are "circulated" (Snopes' words) via email. They are worse than useless as signatures cannot be verified - I mean, what's to stop me from adding all the names and email addresses/location from my address book to such a petition?

The email address set up to receive all these "petitions" has usually crashed from the load long before you get to send your quota of '500 signatures' in.

Having said that, groups like Care2 and The Petition Site use a very different method - one must go to that site to sign the petition, and should some authority question the petition, it is quite easy for the petition creator to verify that all participants attached their name in a valid manner.

The petition 'form' seen here shows all the verifiable information - no pesky email circulating. http://www.change.org/petitions/view/shut_down_conklin_dairy_farms_and_arrest_and_charg e_gary_conklin_and_his_crew_with_animal_cruelty

But yep - email petitions are crap.

wombat2u2004
05-28-2010, 12:35 AM
I agree we need to post about animal abuse. Who will be the voice for these animals if no animal people know about them? I wouldn't judge anyone for not wanting to read or see pictures/videos about the abuse. But someone has to know about it in order for something to be done about it.

Hear hear.......yep, I agree with that one.

Twisterdog
05-30-2010, 12:03 AM
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

blue
05-30-2010, 12:06 AM

Truth.

moosmom
05-30-2010, 07:46 AM
I'm with you, Carole. I'd prefer to stay away from most of them. I've seen far too much in my years of rescue. The one post about the dairy farm abuse I STARTED to watch. The minute I saw the calf being tossed onto some hay, I hit my cancel button. I don't need to get anymore depressed than I already am.

Miss Z
05-30-2010, 01:48 PM
I agree that graphic videos usually needn't be posted. We're all animal lovers here, so we don't need any shock tactics to convince us that the abuse is wrong. We can read it on a page and feel enough emotion.

As for the threads themselves, they form a valuable part of the doghouse. As has been said, the doghouse is for controversial topics regarding either animals or the news (not, actually, funny pictures and chain e-mail anecdotes as it was becoming filled with when I last logged on. But, before I get slapped, it's a free forum!). If people do not wish to read them, then no-clicky. ;)

moosmom
05-30-2010, 03:35 PM
You are going to make one hell of a veterinarian, Zara. I'm proud of you!! I say you either click it or don't click it. Plain and simple.

Marigold2
06-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Yes this is my motto. Good people CAN stop evil.
I always speak up especially for the animals for they cannot speak for themselves, knock on doors, collect monies. They are at our mercy and we are the most evil creature on this planet.
Sometimes I speak up and make others angry but at least I care and take action. I am the women who says "excuse me, excuse me but you have TP on your shoe, your gas tank is open, you dropped something from your purse, you have something in your teeth, don't yell at your kid that way, don't treat a dog that way".
Yes I am that women on the street. I am also the one that talks to strangers and says " nice purse, oh isn't it hot here, what a cute friend you have what breed is it, I love your hair".
I have taught my kids to speak up all well. Don't stand by and let the world continue to be evil and heartless. Demand better, do better. Expect better from others and yourself. Make people explain why they did something really really stupid, that makes them think and learn.
We only rent this beautiful planet, we need to make it better then we found it and so far well we have royally F it up.
It's hard really really hard to look at evil sometimes..........
I personally can't look at pictures of concentration camps.
But I will not let that stop me from speaking up and trying to make things better.
If we turn our back because something is ugly or tough or painful we are cowards then, we make it worst by not changing it, by making it seem as if it was ok. Only when we speak up without fear and with true confiction can we change the wrongs.
We send our children to war to protect the world, we have no right to look away from the damage then that is done to them.
Let us be true and brave and honest and most of all fearless in the sight of pain so that we can change it.

Medusa
06-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Yes this is my motto. Good people CAN stop evil.
I always speak up especially for the animals for they cannot speak for themselves, knock on doors, collect monies. They are at our mercy and we are the most evil creature on this planet.
Sometimes I speak up and make others angry but at least I care and take action. I am the women who says "excuse me, excuse me but you have TP on your shoe, your gas tank is open, you dropped something from your purse, you have something in your teeth, don't yell at your kid that way, don't treat a dog that way".
Yes I am that women on the street. I am also the one that talks to strangers and says " nice purse, oh isn't it hot here, what a cute friend you have what breed is it, I love your hair".
I have taught my kids to speak up all well. Don't stand by and let the world continue to be evil and heartless. Demand better, do better. Expect better from others and yourself. Make people explain why they did something really really stupid, that makes them think and learn.
We only rent this beautiful planet, we need to make it better then we found it and so far well we have royally F it up.
It's hard really really hard to look at evil sometimes..........
I personally can't look at pictures of concentration camps.
But I will not let that stop me from speaking up and trying to make things better.
If we turn our back because something is ugly or tough or painful we are cowards then, we make it worst by not changing it, by making it seem as if it was ok. Only when we speak up without fear and with true confiction can we change the wrongs.
We send our children to war to protect the world, we have no right to look away from the damage then that is done to them.
Let us be true and brave and honest and most of all fearless in the sight of pain so that we can change it.

I agree, Monica. I guess I'm that person as well. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
06-03-2010, 04:45 AM
Sometimes just reading about the suffering of others stops me in my tracks to count my blessings