PDA

View Full Version : I fall down - go BOOM!

gini
05-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Above is my feeble attempt at humor in describing my recent upset and why I have been quiet lately.

On the evening of my birthday 4/29, while at a lovely dinner with my brother and niece I fell. It is one of those crazy things that you could not duplicate if you tried. I was getting up to greet Slick who had arrived as a surprise. The aisle between tables was very narrow and my foot started to slide and there was nothing to break my fall.

I broke my femur.

I have been in the hospital until last Thursday afternoon.

It will be a slow, but hopefully steady recovery. I will have physical therapy for a few weeks.

Big hugs to all who knew about this and kept in close contact.:love::love::love:

happylabs
05-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Oh my so sorry to hear about your fall. :( It is scary when you fall. I have "issues" with steps, having fallen about 3 times in the last 5 or so years. There is nothing physically wrong with me, that I know of, I have just always been clumsy!

Hope you are on your way to recovery soon! :)

Bengalz
05-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Dear Gini,

I do hope you're feeling better - what a nasty thing to happen and on your birthday!! I know that Slick can have a staggering effect on people:rolleyes::D:love: but that darn table should not have gotten in your way!

Are the furry nurses keeping you amused? Take good care and let your leg heal properly.

Hugs, Betty

pomtzu
05-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Ouch - I feel your pain. I have been down that same road, only ice was the culprit in my case. :( Take it slow and easy and don't try to over-do. Hope you're back to your old self really soon! :)

Randi
05-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Gini, I'm so sorry to hear this - and on your birthday of all days! :( I know that if Slick had showed up here unexpected, I probably would have fallen over, too. ;)

Heal up fast and make sure you are spoiled every single day! Your three orangies will surely help you feel better! :) Wish I could be there to help.

Big (((hugs))) :love:

snakemama
05-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Ouch ouch ouch! My brother broke his femur a few years ago and it was NOT FUN. I hope your recovery and P/T goes smoothly!

Cinder & Smoke
05-24-2010, 02:23 PM
"I fall down - go BOOM!"

That's the SHORT version ...
It was more like "I fall down, Leg go CRAAAACK! :eek:

Medical Assistance ? ... Naw, just let me sit here on the floor for a minute.
OK ...Help me up into the chair. I'm fine! ... Dinner, anyone?
She ate her dinner - even though it prolly hurt to chew!

Time to go home ... "Get Checked?" ... I'm fine - take me home!
Can't walk ... was "assisted" out to her car.

Homeward bound ... Get Checked?" ... HOME, please!
Home at last --- Brudder Bill requests an assist from the BIG Neighbor ...
Carried in and deposited upon her bed for the night.
"It'll be better in the morning ..."

It wasn't. :(
Several phone calls to/from concerned relatives + threats of impending doom ...
Our Heroine agrees to a visit to the ER ... by CAR. (Don't need no Ambulance!)

Made it to the ER ... one look and an X-ray :eek: ... "You're STAYING!"

The Sir Jury Guy was pleased with his pin-job = "Good as New" he reported.
He left out the part about she'd need to re-learn how to walk on it! :rolleyes:

I got in on the adventure a lil late ... the P Therapy gang was almost out of new torture games to torment her with.

The big ongoing snafu was calling her ...
The Switchboard's instruction were simple enough: "If you know your
Party's 4-digit extension, DIAL it at any time." ... SOUNDED simple!

The sweet-young-thing that kept answering thought we were "simple"!
In broken English, the greeting was always similar ... "Is no Gini here -
she not live here ... please to stop calling!" ... She began to sound "TENSE"!

After reporting the "problem" to the Switchboard about 4 times ...
the gal said "Wait a minnit ... lemmie check sumpin."
Turned out Gini did NOT have a "Direct Dial" phone; you had to go through
the switchboard to get Gini's room - unless you wanted to bother the
broken English girl again.

"MOM's Hospital Tails" bring back a LOTTA similar memories of MY stay
in the White Coat Lab ... those were The Daze.

Welcome HOME, Mom!!
:D

caseysmom
05-24-2010, 02:35 PM
I am so sorry that must have really hurt and I know how hard it is not being able to use your leg, I definetely feel your pain.

Catty1
05-24-2010, 02:37 PM
OMG. The femur can hold the weight of a small compact car! You must REALLY have hit the ground!

I hope you are feeling way better - are you in a cast?

Get healed SOON!:love::love::love:

Pinot's Mom
05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your fall! I hope you feel back to normal soon!

Medusa
05-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Oh my, I've never broken a bone and every time I hear of an accident like that, my bones hurt. I'm sorry that you fell, Gini, especially on your birthday. That just sucks canal water. I do hope that you're feeling better now. Are you able to get around? A girlfriend fell on the ice on Feb. 8, broke her ankle in 3 places and her leg. She has a rod and 3 pins in her now and she's still laid up, can't put any weight on it yet. So if you're able to navigate, this is a good thing. Prayers going up for your healing, Gini. Keep the faythe. :love:

Queen of Poop
05-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Ouch, ouch, ouch. So glad you are on the mend. You're a seriously strong woman to have done all that and gone to the hospital the next day. I have no doubt you'll be back on two feet in no time! Kitty love will heal you all the faster. Cali and Diego send purrrrs. Take care and take it easy.

momoffuzzyfaces
05-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Gini, I'm so glad you are on the mend!!! What a rotten thing to happen, specially on your birthday!!! Are you sure seeing Slick didn't make you faint from surprise? ;)

Feel better soon my friend!!! :love::love::love:

Karen
05-24-2010, 05:32 PM
We've been praying for you since a little birdie told us. Gini, you, like me, are not a Weeble! No Falling Down!

Glad you are home with the purrnurses!

lizbud
05-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Wow Gini, I am so sorry to hear that.:( I hope you heal up quickly and
completely. Hope you have plenty of help while you concentrate on getting
better.:)

p.s. I had to look it up to see if the femur was the top or bottom bone.:rolleyes: Can never remember which is which.

shais_mom
05-24-2010, 06:56 PM
OMG. The femur can hold the weight of a small compact car! You must REALLY have hit the ground!

I hope you are feeling way better - are you in a cast?

Get healed SOON!:love::love::love:

Hip and High Femur fractures are generally not in a cast. They are pinned (or replaced) and then you almost immediately start weight bearing so you don't lose muscle mass or movement. If you (not you specifically just in general) think about where your hip/femur is - there really isn't a whole lot of room there for a cast. Same as a pelvis, or a rib fracture. Sometimes put in braces or for ribs - girdles, but not casts. Some bones are not casted. I've been doing this for over 12 years and haven't seen a hip fracture in cast yet. Steps off the medical Platform. Carefully as to not end up where Gini has been!
:)
Boy, with the account that Phred gave - you wouldn't think he came into the know late - you'd have thought he was sitting there at the table with all of them! :eek:

Gini - I'm so glad you are feeling better!

zippy-kat
05-24-2010, 08:11 PM
I think this calls for a round of peeps!

:love: You! Feel better!!

Asiel
05-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Omg.....I'm so sorry to hear this and I can feel your pain having gone through that, Must be a thing that hits when we reach a certain age. I can count the number of bones that I have not broken so please be careful and let yourself heal properly before attempting anything strenuous.

Karen
05-24-2010, 08:25 PM
That reminds me - I have a batch of peeps, unopened, probably several years old, that I found when moving stuff in the pantry (yes, I am blessed with a large pantry, 'specially for a little house). Shall I mail them West? I know you like them stale, but am not sure how stale is too stale! They aren;t - I dunno - anything that ever expires, are they?

Marigold2
05-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Oh I am so sorry to hear about your fall. :(
Perhaps you can catch up on some great summer reading with a few or many Lemon Drops to ease the pain.

captain
05-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Good Grief Gini ............. :rolleyes::eek:
Glad to hear you are healing up, Thanks to Phred for filling us in on the details.
My Goodness ME!!!!

Slick - it is ALL your fault :p

K9karen
05-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Boy, I'll be that'll be a birthday you'll never forget! :rolleyes:
Sending you hugs and wishing you a quick recovery! :love::love:

krazyaboutkatz
05-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Gini, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I was wondering where you were. I hope you heal up quickly. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

slick
05-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Picture it. It's January, 2009 and my boss has the whole gang together. Apparently we need to pick our dates for 2009 vacation. Well....me, I book 2010 vacation a year in advance. "What if I flew down and surprised Gini for her birthday?" I was looking forward to visiting with her, sharing some much needed belly laughs and hugs. Little did I know what was in store.

The plan was that I was to walk into the restaurant posing as a flower delivery girl. "She'll never know it's me.....:D:D" "I've lost 50 lbs and I'll wear makeup and a wig and big sunglasses and lots of temporary tattoos. I'll fit right in with the LA crowd.:cool::cool:"

So there I was....just walked in, presented her with flowers and didn't she know it was me right off the bat, and the rest is history as she tells it. My vacation was spent going back and forth to the hospital, but it was worth it to see that she made it through sir jury successfully.:love:

Apologies to all PT'ers as I had to keep this to myself.

Gini, it's good to see on line again and I promise I won't breathe a word about the "goings-on" when the morphine kicked in..... :D:D

Love and hugs :love::love::love:
slick xoxoxo

anna_66
05-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Oh my, what a terrible & nice birthday all rolled into one:eek:

I hope your feeling better soon!

Love and (((HUGS))) Anna

pancakefoot
05-25-2010, 06:52 AM
Hi,
Be careful with what you food your cutey. Raisins and nuts aren't good for dogs, are they! He's a cute one. Take care.

smokey the elder
05-25-2010, 08:06 AM
pancakefoot, I think you responded to the wrong thread.

Gini, I hope you feel better. Femur breaks are nasty. I hope you're not on osteoporosis meds; one side effect is femur breaks!

shais_mom
05-25-2010, 09:37 AM
pancake foot must have had some morphine as well!

Anikaca77
05-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Oh my goodness, you are a strong women, more than me I probably would've been crying.

My brother broke his femur in a car accident and then ended up putting a rod in his leg because it couldn't be fixed.

Take your time to heal and be careful and don't be affraid to ask for help.

Melissa

Killearn Kitties
05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Boy, with the account that Phred gave - you wouldn't think he came into the know late - you'd have thought he was sitting there at the table with all of them! :eek:

:D Absolutely! Thanks for the account, Phred.

I hope you are back to normal soon, Gini. Please be careful with yourself.

Cinder & Smoke
05-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Boy, with the account that Phred gave -
you wouldn't think he came into the know late -
you'd have thought he was sitting there at the table with all of them! :eek:

:D

"MOM" tells a detailed Tail when she's Bored Silly sitting in the Hospital
surrounded by non-English speaking attendants! :eek:

And if Mom was "out & about"; Brudder Bill or Mom's Nurse were usually
there to pick up the phone and spin a yarn or two.
Call in at the right time - and the Tail writes itself!

;)

Logan
05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Oh my goodness, Gini! I'm so sorry about your fall and broken leg. I hope your little nurses are taking good care of you. Still it is a nice surprise that our Slick came to surprise you. Guess she ended up with a surprise too, huh? Wow! :eek:

Well, Happy Birthday to you. Get well soon!
Logan

sirrahbed
05-27-2010, 03:36 PM
oh my gosh gini I am so sorry!! Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better though - what a story!!! (((HUGS))))

gini
05-28-2010, 10:24 AM
That reminds me - I have a batch of peeps, unopened, probably several years old, that I found when moving stuff in the pantry (yes, I am blessed with a large pantry, 'specially for a little house). Shall I mail them West? I know you like them stale, but am not sure how stale is too stale! They aren;t - I dunno - anything that ever expires, are they?

Oh, they are probably perfect!!!:D:D

gini
05-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks everyone for all of your wonderful good wishes. It is a slow go - and I hate to admit it but the pain pills are a welcome sight. I was trying to not take them but the leg told me that was stupid - why endure the pain.

Pain pills upset my stomach.

My three orange nurses are just the best. Only problem is that Rascal wants to park himself on the bumb leg. But he was really thrilled to see Mom come home and makes sure to sleep with me every night.

The physical therapist is now coming three times a week - so hopefully I can progress quickly and be up and about. No driving for a couple of months though.

lizbud
05-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi Gini,

Still keeping you in my prayers for a smooth recovery. Have you started
pt yet? (((Hugs))):)

Randi
05-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Only problem is that Rascal wants to park himself on the bumb leg.
Isn't that typical, but Rascal is only trying to help you heal faster. :D

Gini, I know things like this takes time, but I hope the progress will go smoothly and faster than you expect. :) Concerning painkillers, you should be able to get some that doesn't upset your stomach - ask your doctor!

:love: hugs :love:

ChrisH
05-31-2010, 08:08 AM
Oh, Gini, so sorry to hear about your accident. :( http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/Hugs2.gif Glad to read you are home though and are on the road to recovery. Prayers and good thoughts winging their way for you.

wombat2u2004
05-31-2010, 08:12 AM
Oh boy....I just read this one.
So sorry to hear of your mishap mate.
Get well soon.....I'm sure you'll be up and about in a jiffy ;)
Wom

Bengalz
05-31-2010, 09:02 AM
Gini,

I just had a deliciously nasty thought:D does this mean you get to use a cane while convalescing? Very useful;)

Hope you're feeling better:love:

Cincy'sMom
05-31-2010, 11:45 AM
I missed this whole story until there was talk of it yesterday. Sorry I am late to the party, but hope you are starting to feel a little better Gini. What a birthday adventure!

gini
06-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I went to the surgeon today for my post surgery checkup. I got to see the X-ray of the results - HOLY COW! The plate and screws are HUGE.

I would be what you could call - packing metal!!!

But the best news is that everything is healing right on schedule and my leg is perfectly aligned and ready to run.

I still have some swelling or adema which hurts - but he guesses two more weeks with the walker and then I can (yes, Betty!!) have a cane.

It is really difficult to get around my home with a walker,so I will be happy.

Rascal, Annie and Emma have not let up once in their duties......and actually Rascal and Annie fight over which one gets to be by the wound!

I am positive I am doing so well just because of them!!

Thanks again everyone - :love::love:

caseysmom
06-04-2010, 12:18 AM
The screws on my foot looked pretty large on xray but they were very small...not sure about the plate thougth:eek: Do you get all the hardware out?

I'm glad your doing better I know it must be hard.

krazyaboutkatz
06-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Gini, thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that you're healing as scheduled.:) Hopefully everything will continue to go well. Your furry nurses are just very concerned about you. Take care. (((HUGS)))

Killearn Kitties
06-04-2010, 04:57 AM
Glad to hear such a positive report, Gini. You really made a good job of that injury!

Medusa
06-04-2010, 06:07 AM
Gini, I sure hope that you're feeling better and better each day. A girlfriend broke her leg and ankle in 3 places on Feb. 8 and she's still laid up, can't put any weight on that leg at all. This must be the year for fall down go booms. Please take care. :love:

sirrahbed
06-04-2010, 08:39 AM
I am glad to read this positive report!! It will be so nice to move from walker to cane I bet. Take care gini!! :)

gini
06-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Gini, I sure hope that you're feeling better and better each day. A girlfriend broke her leg and ankle in 3 places on Feb. 8 and she's still laid up, can't put any weight on that leg at all. This must be the year for fall down go booms. Please take care. :love:

Mary, does my heart ever go out to her! My neighbor broke her ankle last year and it took her over five months to heal so she could walk on it.

shais_mom
06-04-2010, 10:31 AM
The screws on my foot looked pretty large on xray but they were very small...not sure about the plate thougth:eek: Do you get all the hardware out?

I'm glad your doing better I know it must be hard.

Usually in a hip pinning they are there to stay!

The screw that was in my foot was a couple inches long - I thought it was too big too especially for my pinkie toe! I still have it in the container they sent it home with me in.

gini
06-04-2010, 10:37 AM
I wanted to share this with you all because it is so funny - and seems so Cali - forn - i a!!!! as Richard would say.

The day I was released from the hospital I had to have an ambulance take me home. I have steps into my home I cannot negotiate yet and my brother couldn't lift me.

So, I am in the ambulance and can see outside. Right before he gets to my street he makes a strange turn - but I say nothing. Then he drives right on by the other way you can get to my home. So I said - you have passed the street to my home. He responds with "LADY, I AM USING MY GPS!"

Now of course, what do I know as opposed to the GPS. Having lived here for 33 years doesn't give you full knowledge over a GPS.

So we keep driving and now I know we have a serious problem. I say
something again and now the guy is irritated - he says "you live at
540 NORTH - right?" Uh, no.................it is 240 SOUTH!!!"

Hmm, so the attendant and the driver do some comparisons on their paperwork and it turns out neither one of them have the right address or zip code. So now they pay attention to me and drive me to my home.
I was pretty relieved to find myself in my own living room and watch Mutt and Jeff drive away laughing their heads off.

Cinder & Smoke
06-04-2010, 10:56 AM
I thought it was too big too especially for my pinkie toe!

I still have it in the container they sent it home with me in.

Which one --- the Screw or your Pinkie Toe ???? :eek:

:p
:love:

shais_mom
06-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Which one --- the Screw or your Pinkie Toe ???? :eek:

:p
:love:

The Screw - would you like to see it sometime?;) :p

Grace
06-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Usually in a hip pinning they are there to stay!

The screw that was in my foot was a couple inches long - I thought it was too big too especially for my pinkie toe! I still have it in the container they sent it home with me in.

I had 5 screws, smaller than yours, and a plate in my right ankle for a year. Had a pair of earrings made with two of the screws and the plate is on my key chain.

Randi
06-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Gini, I'm so glad your healing is on schedule, but I know it must be a "pain" to have to use a walker. Hopefully, you can use a cane soon. :)

I bet Rascal, Annie and Emma are doing all they can to help you feel better. I can picture them all over you. :D

Fister and I wish you a speedy and full recovery, lots of purrs and big hugs. :love: :love:

Barbara
06-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Gini, I had heard that story before but now I read all the nasty details:(
It is true, for us ladies who have been 39 10 years long the healing takes a lot longer than for all the kids out there.
I am glad to hear you are on the mend however.
I heard one time that cat purr should be a good frequency for healing bones and I hope this is true.
All best wishes from Germany again.

(And BTW I wish someone de-frosted us ;))