PDA

View Full Version : What can we do about this?

catnapper
05-20-2010, 08:32 PM
There is a nursing home next to our house. About 6 months ago, they instituted a policy of no smoking on company grounds. That meant the employees left the grounds to smoke on MY property. We called the nursing home and complained. Things were good for a while, where we would have to occasionally call the home to remind them to remind their employees about smoking on our property.

but a few weeks ago they hired a new punk. No better word for him but punk. He's about 18 (maybe 20) and thinks he knows everything and has a mouth on him. I asked him politely to move long and smoke elsewhere. My husband asked him. We've asked him several times. We called the nursing home and for the first time we got no response from them. Today he was outide smoking on our curb again. This time, I grabbed my camera and told him that I was taking his picture to take to his boss.

It escallated to polite yelling of "I'm filing harrassment charges" from all parties in the nursing home lobby -- him, me, and Cameron (I couldn't leave him home alone!) He was there the whole time telling the nursing home people NOBODY should smoke outside HIS house... comic relief at its best :rolleyes: (seriously, imagine it, a three year old standing there adamently telling a mad man that he's not allowed to smoke in the yard
!!!)

So I left the nursing home with NO resolution, except two head people appologizing and telling me that the young man in question is new and didn't understand. I was actually in tears in the lobby...... I had nose surgery two days ago for my sinus issues. I take allergy shots every week. I am highly sensetive to cigarette smoke, and I don't think I should have to deal with HIS smoke invading MY home.

I did stop by the police station after the "incident" and they said technically he's allowed on my curb but I am also allowed to call them and file a complain every time he sits there. It could turn into a major fight if this guy decides to become a jerk about it. And I'm afraid he will.

Karen
05-20-2010, 08:41 PM
A hose, and a dousing every time he's there. He'll "get it" and you can say "I was just watering the grass!"

catnapper
05-20-2010, 08:48 PM
A hose, and a dousing every time he's there. He'll "get it" and you can say "I was just watering the grass!"

I was just photgraphing my property this afternoon. He said my photograph of him was harassment since I had asked him to stop smoking there earlier. I can only imagine his reaction to the hose being turned on him.

He is SUCH a punk. He stood up in the center of the street and asked sarcastically, "isn't THIS public property" of course the middle of the street is public property! :rolleyes: I was referring to MY grass that he had his tooshie parked on moments earlier.

I can envision him and his buddies egging our cars, painting our fence, etc. in defiance of today's spat.

All I wanted was to have him smoke elsewhere :(

DJFyrewolf36
05-20-2010, 08:50 PM

Good idea!! :D He really shouldn't be smoking on your curb, especially if you have issues regarding cigarette smoke. Maybe you can find some way to make your curb a no smoking zone? Maybe one of the neighbors who does smoke will be inclined to volunteer their curb to the smokers?

Hellow
05-20-2010, 09:59 PM
If he's just standing there on the curb, I would think that would be on the road's right-of-way, and there's not much you can do about that.
However, if he sets foot on your lawn, then you can possibly get him for trespassing.
Just a theory. I'm not a lawyer.

RICHARD
05-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Place a no trespassing/Please No smoking sign at the edge of the lawn.

Take photos.

Next, write a little note to the facility and explain to them that you would appreciate THEIR cooperation in keeping you home/area smoke free. Hand deliver it with some cookies to the head of the place.

Keep your cool- My dad used to say.....

Mejor tener un loco, y no dos!

Better to have one crazy person, not two!;)

Then if the shiat still hits the fan and you have to make a stand, you have a position that no one can challenge.

'Luck.

wombat2u2004
05-21-2010, 03:54 AM
But isn't a certain distance between the the kerb and your property boundary, actually public property ??? Such as where the public utility would locate a footpath. If that is the case, and he is standing and smoking on that strip then he has a perfect right to do that legally. Not morally mind you, as you have expressed your concerns to the nursing home.
If he were standing on public property, and you stuck the hose on him, he could have you charged with assault....because he is doing nothing illegal.

Perhaps the better way to go, is to seek out the people who actually own the nursing home, or senior management, and express your concerns to them.
Tell them that your health is suffering because of that guy smoking in close proximity of your house.
And why doesn't the nursing home provide an area specifically for smokers....they do here in Australia.

Catherinedana
05-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Try contacting the department of elder affairs in your area and see if they will send out an ambudsman to act as an intermediary between you and the Nursing Home. The NH will not want complaints about them to reach Dept of Elder Affairs, believe me.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-21-2010, 07:11 AM
I had nose surgery two days ago for my sinus issues. I take allergy shots every week. I am highly sensetive to cigarette smoke

have you told him this? maybe if you change tactic and ask for his understanding he might be a bit more reasonable. If not, then I agree with Karen - turn the hose on him!

sasvermont
05-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Can you think of some foul stinky spray to put in that area, so he (the smoker) will not be so comfortable? How about having a portable sprinkler going - on a timer and let him get a little wet!

Gosh, I think he needs his block knocked off ...... I am surprised your husband has stayed as cool as he has.....

I think I would rent a big, nasty, loud dog....and stake him right near the smoker........

I sound mean, don't I?

I am so considerate of my neighbors that it infuriates me to see and hear about others who are not....

Keep us posted....

SAS

catnapper
05-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Can you think of some foul stinky spray to put in that area, so he (the smoker) will not be so comfortable? How about having a portable sprinkler going - on a timer and let him get a little wet!

Gosh, I think he needs his block knocked off ...... I am surprised your husband has stayed as cool as he has.....

I think I would rent a big, nasty, loud dog....and stake him right near the smoker........

I sound mean, don't I?

I am so considerate of my neighbors that it infuriates me to see and hear about others who are not....

Keep us posted....

SAS

I can see setting Callie loose on him.... she's kill him with jumping. Actually, she's not too sure of most men, so maybe.........

And don't get me started on neighbors! I have one who is stealing my internet and I STILL can't figure out how to fix the free internet connection.

Another lets his dog poop all over my yard and I can't get it through his head that he needs to pick up after his dog EVERY time, not just when he sees me see her poop.

And yet another who has the NICEST orange cat who prefers my yard and front porch. He's turned the front porch into his personal litterbox. Well, my front porch is enclosed, so he's turned the under part into a litterbox. You go into the closed-in part, and it smells llike cat urine, and its not MY cats making hte smell. I tried to get the cat last nice. He was sleeping on the shed's roof. I was seriously contemplating making him go *poof*

Pawsitive Thinking
05-21-2010, 09:33 AM
I have one who is stealing my internet

you can lock it so nobody can use it apart from you - not sure how though but I am sure someone here will be able to help you with the technical stuff

Catherinedana
05-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Is a fence an option?

catnapper
05-21-2010, 10:25 AM
Is a fence an option?

We have one, but that doesn't stop the neighbor's cat or the other neighbor's dog from pooping on the spots outside the fence.

cassiesmom
05-21-2010, 11:36 AM
Does the nursing home own itself? I'd go past the on-site administrator to the head of the holding company. Although they have the right to establish a smoke-free facility, they also have a responsibility to be good neighbors.

Could you contact the Better Business Bureau? Forward the photographs to the local newspaper (Dear editor, see what a bad corporate citizen this facility is!) ?

Husky_mom
05-21-2010, 11:57 AM
one "solution" for the dog pooping... pick up poop and leave it on the dog owners yard.. maybe then they´ll pick it up..

about internet.. I kinda knew how but have completely forgotten..lol.. maybe Hellow or Catty1 can help on that..

about kitty.. isn´t htere a deterrent for kitties.. as there is for doggies?

and as for punk.. he does sound like the type he would vandalize one´s property.. but you sure are in your right to be smoke free.. sinus or not.. I cannot stand smoke myself.. not sure what can be done.. but hopefully it gets sorted in the est way..

way to go Cam!! ;)

Hellow
05-21-2010, 05:32 PM
I have one who is stealing my internet and I STILL can't figure out how to fix the free internet connection.

You can contact me via email or PM and I'll see what I can do about helping you with that.

Karen
05-21-2010, 05:38 PM
It is work, but you should consider putting chicken wire fencing under the porch. You can do it behind whatever latticework or posts there are, so it isn't as visible or unattractive from the street, but it will keep the cat from getting in there. It also keeps out skunks, coons and other critters who might decide it's a good hiding place, and keep Cam out of there, once he's old enough to think of it as a hiding place.