PDA

View Full Version : New photos and update, 7-12-10

jenluckenbach
05-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Hello all, sorry to be away so long. Hope this thread finds you all well.

I just had to share with you my little addition.

17 year old Taboo, the silver Persian.

You will have to bear with the story in order to get to the photos. :p

I have worked at the same grooming shop 15 years now and for most of those years we had a client, a little elderly lady with 2 Shih Tzus and this Persian. She was a REGULAR! those dogs were groomed every 3 weeks. And the cat as needed.

About 7 years ago she (and one of the dogs) passed away and her grow son took the remaining dog and cat in as his own. I was impressed because so many people don't feel the need to care for these orphans, even though they were beloved pets of someone important in their own lives.

But this man lived in a very small place and really wanted to find the cat another home. But, for years, he continued to bring them both for their grooming.

The last time I saw them was in Dec 2007, The dog had died and I assumed that now the cat had too.

Yesterday this man from the past called to say Taboo (now 17 years old) has been returned to him after bouncing from home to home. She was in deplorable shape, matted worse than anyone could imagine! Could we groom her?

When they showed up for their appointment the man told me that he felt so bad that this "supposedly good home" had allowed this to happen to her. But at the same time he was now involved with a lady with EXTREME allergies. He was in a bind.

Then I took her from the carrier. The fur was a solid cast over her frail, thin body, and yet she nuzzled her face in my hand as if she remembered me. I went to clip her nails and they were so long they wrapped around in, not 1, but 2 complete circles. Only God prevented them from imbedding into her pads.

I called the man back and offered to care for her for the rest of her life......and here she is....TABOO! (next post...LOL)

catnapper
05-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Oh my gosh -- what a journey she took to get to you! I'm sure you'll do a marvelous job at fattening her up and getting her back to health..... and I dare you to show a photo of your matching shaved hair jobs ;)

jenluckenbach
05-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Since I don't have a camera at work I cannot show you a before photo, but I can show you the nails I saved. The one in the lower left was the worst.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/Taboonails.jpg

I also attempted to take photos of the piece of fur that came off her back, front and rear legs almost completely still attached. Where you see it split, that was over her backbone and I needed to split it in order to get it off....it was actually connected.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/Taboofur1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/Taboofur2.jpg

So here she is....totally bald since I needed to shave her entire body with a #40 surgical blade. Poor pink kitty, just like a newborn mouse with no fur.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/Taboosideview5-20-10.jpg

And her still pretty face even at 17

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/TabooFaceMay202010.jpg

thanks for listening

catnapper
05-20-2010, 08:08 PM
OMG.... I had no idea their nails could curl under like that. I'm heartbroken to see that. Poor thing looks terrified, but I bet she'll be perfectly at home in no time.

Catty1
05-20-2010, 08:09 PM
OMG! Poor Taboo!:eek: I know that fur was all glued together, but it looks like a pelt, as if the poor girl had been skinned!

Her fur will grow back beautifully. If she nuzzled you at the kennel with all those tangles and awful claws, then she must be a real sweetie.

God bless you for taking her in!:love::love::love:

Welcome home, Taboo!

Laura's Babies
05-20-2010, 08:13 PM
The *blankity*blank* person that let her get like that should be reported and jailed! That is horriable! Poor girl did nothing to get neglected like that. Thank God that man got her back and brought her to you! God Bless you Jen for taking this poor, soon to be, beautiful baby in to love for the rest of her life!

jenluckenbach
05-20-2010, 08:14 PM
OMG.... I had no idea their nails could curl under like that. .

actually. she is very lucky because they usually dont curl "off to the side", they grow straight back into the pad.

aTailOf2Kitties
05-20-2010, 08:23 PM
I saw a matted mass just like that back when I worked at the vet years ago. We had to shear the cat like a sheep and it all came off in one piece. Poor thing could barely move beforehand. I kept the fur for quite a while after that til my boyfriend got too creeped out by it. I'm like "dude, it's just fur", although it was still rather cat-shaped.

RedHedd
05-20-2010, 08:52 PM
OMG God bless you for taking her in. She's one lucky cat!

Queen of Poop
05-20-2010, 09:06 PM
OMG that poor baby. What a horrible time she has had. So glad she was delivered to you, now she can live out her senior years loved and well taken care of. Thank you so much! :love:

Barbara
05-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Oh Jen- what a story! I loved all your stories about your gang and I am glad there is a new one to tell- you are such a good writer.
But I am so very sorry for poor Taboo- I just cannot believe how people can neglect a living being that much. But I know that when my friend Angie stole her Persian boy Kaiser from his former owner (another story...) he looked just nearly as bad and he got a summer shaving ever after.
I am glad Taboo's owner and you could help her and I hope she has a long and happy life.

krazyaboutkatz
05-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Poor kitty.:( I'm so glad that the man got her back and then brought her to you. Now she's going to live the rest of her life in a wonderful caring loving home.:) Welcome home Taboo!!!:)

Sonia59
05-21-2010, 05:09 AM
What a story! Poor girl. How these people could do this to such a sweet old lady :( But I am glad she is with you now. She will live quietly, well cared and loved :)

jenluckenbach
05-21-2010, 06:03 AM
Morning update.

She eats! that's good. She's understandably upset and growling. She peed on the bedding and not in the box provided (now that worries me) :eek:

She'll settle.

Medusa
05-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Oh the poor, sweet baby! How cruel people can be! They can also be wonderfully kind, though, as you have been for lucky little Taboo, lucky b/c she's in your hands now. The expression on her face is priceless, though, Jen. How adorable. I can't wait to see her after she's settled in and her fur grows back and is well groomed. Kudos to you, Jen, and lots of lovin' for that sweet ol' gal. :love:

Freedom
05-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Horrible! Those folks should be reported.

Bless you for taking in dear Taboo. Can you tell if she is skinny because they didn't feed her, or because she is old maybe ill? I guess time will tell.

Dear Taboo, things are going to get better sweetie.

smokey the elder
05-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Poor Taboo. Hopefully the peeing was because she was very upset. I hope she eats well for you and is healthy. Thanks for taking such a sweet old girl.

catmandu
05-21-2010, 09:33 AM
I got Mr Fluffy more or less the same way Jen. His Guardian who loved him had to go to a Petless Nursing Home so My Dear Friend Norma Broadbent brought Mr Fluffy over after having him groomed.
He was a Huge Fluffy Puffy Persian about 14.
Sadly hois teeth were rotten through and through and I didnt realize this until it was too late.:(
I was a Bad Pawpie:(
This mans daughter took all of Mr Fluffys food , toys and blanklets and left him in an empty house drinking from the toilet:(
Taboo certainly doe not look like a 17 year Young Cat , Jen.
We are so sorry that she had so many false starts, buut now shes with one of the Very Finest People on Pet Talk, Our Heroes Jen and Charles!!:love::love::love:
God Bless You Both for Caring:love::love::love:

Maya & Inka's mommy
05-21-2010, 09:35 AM
She's understandably upset and growling. She peed on the bedding and not in the box provided (now that worries me) :eek.

In my opinion she is in a shock because all what happened to hear yesterday...! It must have been traumatic for her when you removed all that bad fur.... . But don't worry, she will get over it! And then she will be the most sweet and loving lady :love::love::love:

Aw Jen, it is such a great thing you are doing for her, thank you so much :love:

cassiesmom
05-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Morning update.

She eats! that's good. She's understandably upset and growling. She peed on the bedding and not in the box provided (now that worries me) :eek:

She'll settle.

I'm with Lut. She must have been so scared after having her claws trimmed and her coat shaved down, especially since she was out of the routine of having her coat cared for on a regular basis. I'm sure she will be very beautiful when her coat grows in, she will have a healthy diet with you, not to mention tons of love and TLC.

:love: Bless you, Jen for taking care of Taboo! And gentle *kiss* of welcome for her.

And a candle-
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=10846355

Pinot's Mom
05-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Oh, Taboo, welcome back into the real world of people who love and care for you! You'll settle in soon; just let Jen take real good care of you and it will be wonderful! Purrs and gentle headbumpies to you, sweetheart!:love:

Thank you, Jen! :D

Husky_mom
05-21-2010, 12:04 PM
good thing your paths reunited.. that baby so deserves a better chance..and even furless she´s so pretty :D

phesina
05-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Welcome HOME, Taboo! What a lucky kitty you are.. at long last!

God bless you, JEN. :love::love::love::love::love::love:

jenluckenbach
05-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks guys, but I don't feel all that special. I wanted to help, we all help in our own ways.

Sometime while I was work she pooped in her box, and possibly peed too (i need to go scoop it out yet)

I will be taking her in to the vet Monday for what they call a "senior panel" combo blood work and urinalysis. We'll see how her liver and thyroid are, bladder and kidneys.

She was always a petite cat, so thin is the norm for her, but the tests will tell if there is more going on.

I dont know how her hair will grow in at her age, but I dont care. Its just that right now she's naked and has red patches here and there from the ordeal.

I'll keep you updated.

momoffuzzyfaces
05-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Aw, poor baby!!! I'm so glad you got her Jen. :love:

I'd sure love to give those people who did that to her a kick where the sun don't shine!!! :mad:

Prairie Purrs
05-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Thank you for taking in this poor little girl! She must feel so much better without all that matted fur. She's a lucky lady indeed to have ended up in your care!

Killearn Kitties
05-21-2010, 04:07 PM
It is absolutely heartbreaking to see a cat in that state.
You are a saint, Jen. :love: Thank you for taking her in.

cassiesmom
05-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Jen, how are things with Taboo? Is she still eating and using her litter pan? I hope she gets an A+ at the doctor tomorrow :love:.

Paws and fingers crossed,
elyse

jenluckenbach
05-23-2010, 06:26 PM
-She has been eating well. She has used the litter box, with one accident after the first one. She drinks an awful lot and pees profusely...so we can be sure something will show up on the blood work. Age related, I am certain, but if we can control it all the better.

She still growls when I lift her out of the cage, but I assume most of that is pain...sesitive skin from being shaved so closely...maybe arthritis...and simply not feeling like herself with that cast of fur on.

I'll report tomorrow after the vet, but the blood results wont be until tuesday.

She loves her chin scratched and we got our first purr. :)

krazyaboutkatz
05-23-2010, 06:44 PM
I hope that whatever condition that she may have that it's easily treatable. Good luck at the vets tomorrow.

snakemama
05-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Darling Taboo has finally found the right retirement home! She is lucky to have you!

Karen
05-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Awwww! Looking forward to new pictures in a week or so!

jenluckenbach
05-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Blood work came back already. Thyroid issues. A daily pill.

The vet left a message on my machine, so I have not had the chance to pose any questions, but I ASSUME that since liver, kidney nor diabetes was mantioned, then those areas must be looking good.

Taboo weighs in at 4 pounds 14 ounces. Slightly dehydrated, so sub Q fkuids have been suggested. I must admit that even though I have done fluids before, sticking a needle into that tiny, skeletal body with rice paper-thin skin, is a bit scary.

She continues to eat well, poops are firm and no report of parasites, and the excessive peeing will hopefully calm down once the thyroid is more regulated. (not sure about that)

I already bought tiny puppy diapers to use on her if need be. ;)

Catty1
05-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Thank God she has you! And prayers that the thyroid meds will settle things down and fatten her up a bit.

Any more purrs? :love: :)

shais_mom
05-24-2010, 07:10 PM
I am just speechless at the "pelt" that came off her! It looks like a possum! HOLY MOLY!
I'm so glad she found you again-
And I'm traumatized over her nails - Am going to be checking my cats nails when i get Home!

Nomilynn
05-24-2010, 08:56 PM
How wonderful that she will have you for the rest of her life, knowing love and not pain, and care and not neglect. :love:

moosmom
05-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Jen, you never cease to amaze me with your big heart and kindness.

SHAME on those people for not taking better care of Taboo. She's now in a better home and I'm sure once she feels comfortable in her own skin, she'll come around.

I've got a Maine Coon rescue that was a product of a divorce from Melissa in PA. She was doing pretty well with me in my room until I made the big mistake of stacking the baby gates in the doorway of my room up too soon. Now she won't come out from under the bed. She's going to the vet tomorrow to have HER mats removed. I think that's one of the reasons why she's so cranky. My best friend is going to take her (so she THINKS temporarily) so the cat can have a quiet, peaceful existence. She needs to be an only cat. If Susie won't keep her, I'll have to think of another plan. I just want her to be happy.

Right now Bad A$$ Buddy isn't helping things.

snakemama
05-25-2010, 12:16 AM
Well, thyroid isn't too bad...at least she should put weight back on quickly, and the peeing problems should clear up. :)

smokey the elder
05-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Thyroid is easier to manage than diabetes, as long as she is easy to pill. I love the senior cats; even though they may only have a few more years, they are so grateful to have a home and love.:love:

krazyaboutkatz
05-25-2010, 11:40 AM
At least you now know what her problem is and hopefully the pills will help her. Good luck.:)

lizbud
05-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Awwww! Looking forward to new pictures in a week or so!

I hope she feels better soon. Poor baby, she must have been in
so much pain with every move she made in that tangeled mess of hair
and those nails.:(

jenluckenbach
05-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Taboo got her first pill tomight, what an angel!

I got to talk to the vet today. The thyroid is only slightly high, so the dosage is low. 1 liver enzyme was a bit high, but most likely caused by the thyroid. The meds should help and maybe allow her to gain some weight.

So, all in all, not bad for an elderly little lady.

Catty1
05-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Good news. Looking forward to seeing her grow and glow! :-)

jenluckenbach
05-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Taboo took her first walk around the house today. (she only walked around the living room before this)

The first thing she did was pee on the couch! :rolleyes: But, just to clarify (and let you know that I do not blame her) the couch is covered with plastic because others have peed on it before AND there must have been some pee already on it that I did not notice, so of course, she thought she was allowed to go there.

A little while later she found a litter box to go poop in.

Right now she is laying in front of an open window.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/5-29-2010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/manofmanycats/5-29-10.jpg

Her skin is looking good (in case I did not describe what had happened, a day after shaving the skin became really red. Then in a few days it got all crusty. :( but almost all that is gone now.)

The cats are tolerant of her, and she doesn;t bother them either.

And a special note to Catmandu......the first thing she found was a FAMOUS Canadian catnip mouse, that even at 17 years of age, can't be resisted!!

phesina
05-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Awww.. Taboo.. so good to see you! You are doing great exploring your new digs!

Welcome HOME!!!!!

Love from your friends in Ann Arbor

cassiesmom
05-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Jen, Taboo's skin/coat looks better already! Is she drinking better? I am hoping you won't have to give her fluids. Taboo, if you could go potty in the litter pan from now on, that would be good. (Although I maybe it's good that you chose to use the plastic once, since you're a little dehydrated, because mum got to see you "go" and how much you put out.) Those Catada catnip mousies can do wonders! Enjoy all the things you can check out from your open window, too like birds singing, breezes and leaves. Gentle *kiss* for you sweety.

columbine
05-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Dear little Taboo, dream of a crystalline forest stream that tastes like heaven, and drink up plenty of water! And eat lots and lots of tasty food, and give Jen some happy purrs to let her know how much better you're feeling.

Love, Columbine

Laura's Babies
05-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Awwe Jen! She is lovely, even without her fur. I would not be able to resist spoiling her rotten or keeping my hands off of her and making sure that for whatever time she has left, that she knew she was adored and had nothing to worry about anymore. I know you are doing the same thing and she will be taken care of better than she ever has been.

Lets hope these meds get her back on track and she can stay healthy and blossom.

catmandu
05-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Thank You for mentioning that Friend Jen.
I told My Found Cats how their gifts are still going strong and have helped out a Dear Senior Kittyzen Lady who has found her place in the sun.:love:
They are gratified and send a Huge MEEEEOOOOOOW To Taboo:love:
And of course to Our All Time Heroes Jen and Charles:love::love:

Medusa
05-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Aw, sweet girl. I'm sure she feels so much better w/all that matted fur gone and her claws clipped and her new meds getting her back on track. I know what you mean about the subQ's, though. Puddy was 5 lbs. and even less when she became so sick and was she ever boney. I hated giving her the subQ's but she felt better immediately afterwards. Have you thought of putting B12 in the bag? It really perked Puddy up. Taboo is so lucky to have you, Jen. :love:

jenluckenbach
05-30-2010, 01:15 PM
The fluids have a B complex in them, but I admit to not giving them to her yet.

She pees SO much that I didnt want to add to that right away. She does drink well, though, so that is good.

Moesha
05-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Jen, you have such a big heart and are such a wonderful person. Thank you so much for taking this sweet girl in and giving her a loving caring home for the rest of her days. She reminds me so much of Peanut as she got older - long hair that takes maintenance that the old girl can't give herself, and so very frail, and especially the little puppy diapers. I always have a bittersweet smile on my face when I see pics of Peanut with her little diapers. She was such a trooper in her old age and never complained about anything, and I have a feeling Taboo is going to be the same for you once she settles in and knows she is loved again.

Please tell me she is doing well now and pics of her with her new fur growing back in please? :)

jenluckenbach
07-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Hi all. I wanted to update on Taboo.

She gained an entire pound over the last month. Good for her!!!

She did need to go from 1/2 a pill once a day to 1/2 a pill twice a day for her thyroid. but that is OK. Hopefully we'll get the right dose after her next thryoid blood test.

She's a spunky little girl. But she knows the routine already. She knows about feeding time twice a day and that she must get the pill first. She growls and grumps when I handle her, but I don't care...it's just her way. She takes the pills well enough. that is all that matters.

She keeps the other cats in their place, too (LOL).

She sleeps in a carrier (by her own choice) most of the day, but still likes the occasional catnip fix.

She makes me smile. :) :)

I'll work on getting new pictures.

KnightOwl
07-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Jen, Taboo is a precious bundle. Kudos to you for the love and care you have given her. As I read from post one through to today's post I had my heart in my throat. I am so happy She is doing so well.

You definitely have a love for the little ones. Just wish more folk were that way.

Bless You!

krazyaboutkatz
07-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Jen,I'm so glad to hear that she's gained some weight and is doing well on her thyroid medicine.:) She sounds like a little feisty girl but I'm sure that this is the reason she's still around too. You're taking such good care of her and I hope she'll be with you for many more years to come.:)

Laura's Babies
07-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Jen, I thought about her the whole time I was gone and been meaning to ask you about her and for possiably another newer picture. I worried about her the whole time I was on the boat but cell service was to bad to get online very much. I did check one time but it took so long to pull it up, I didn't try again.. I am so glad to hear she is doing well... ((((HUG)))) her for me.

cassiesmom
07-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Yay, Taboo! I am glad you have gained one pound and I am also glad you take your medicine! Happy napping in the summertime, sweety!

jenluckenbach
07-12-2010, 02:46 PM
attaching Taboo's newest photo.

She is SO good. She now waits for her pill, or jumps back out of her cage (the one she eats in) to get her pill before each meal.

You can actually SEE how she is filling back out, gaining weight.

krazyaboutkatz
07-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm glad she's doing so well and is such a good girl when it comes to pill time.:)

momcat
07-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi Jen, it's great to hear from you again! Bless you for giving Taboo the loving, caring life she so rightly deserves. She is a beauty! Could I ask you to give her some chin scritchies for me?

Hi Taboo,
I'm very happy to meet you. You never have to be afraid ever again, you're a PT kitty now and believe me it doesn't get any better than that. You'll soon see that we PT kitties get only the very best of everything and the love from our purrents never ends. You're safe now and will be very well cared for. You couldn't have a better Meowmie but I think you know that already.
I hope you feel better very soon. Settle in to your furever home. As soon as you get your cell phone be sure to let your fellow kitties know. We would love for you to join us on a Catmobile trip when you're all better!

Yout friend,
Groucho

lizbud
07-12-2010, 06:13 PM
She looks so much better now.:) I know she's got to feel much better too.
Good job Taboo.:)

phesina
07-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Oh, God bless you, Jen and Taboo both. Thank you so much, Jen, for giving her the wonderful home she deserved so much and she needed so badly.

Dear Taboo.. Happy days are here again! :love::love::love::love::love::love:

cassiesmom
07-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Hi, Taboo! You look better! I'm glad you are doing so well! *kiss* for you

P.S., Cassie said you should sit with her and the other senior kittyzens on the Catmobile :)

Laura's Babies
07-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Awww! Look at her!! What a girl!! She is filling out and that fur is growing back and she'll be a real knock out before you know it. Are you able to start brushing her with a soft brush now to get her use to being brushed again? Ohhh! I'd offer to come brush her if you weren't so far away. I love brushing mine and so do they.

It is GREAT one on one time for mine and I talk to mine the whole time I am brushing them.