PDA

View Full Version : Garden Party #379!

RICHARD
05-20-2010, 09:24 AM
I forgot to post a Thursdays thread!

Since we started out Garden last week, I think we can have a garden party this week!

I was peeking in on my cucumber plants! They have sprouted!

I think some little dainty sandwiches and drinks are in order!

DONE!

Catherinedana
05-20-2010, 10:02 AM
This weekend we are going to mow and pull and transplant and remove and change and rake and mulch. . .well, you get the idea. So I guess I'll have about 15 dainty sandwiches to sustain me and a gallon of water.

If you saw my "Nature in the raw" post response, you will note that pureed snake is also on the menu. :confused:

RICHARD
05-20-2010, 10:24 AM
This weekend we are going to mow and pull and transplant and remove and change and rake and mulch. . .well, you get the idea. So I guess I'll have about 15 dainty sandwiches to sustain me and a gallon of water.

If you saw my "Nature in the raw" post response, you will note that pureed snake is also on the menu. :confused:

LOl, I found a lizard beneath my tool box the other day.

Toonces was freaking out, walking around it. I picked the box up and almost had a heart attack!

15 dainty sandwiches, gloves and a gallon of water?

DONE!

Pinot's Mom
05-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Our new vegetable garden was completed last weekend. There is still some weeding to do in the main garden areas, but I'm definitely up for a garden party! We'll have to watch Pinot with the toads, though! ;)

I'll have dainty sandwiches and spiked iced tea, please! :)

Cinder & Smoke
05-20-2010, 10:44 AM
If you saw my "Nature in the raw" post response,
you will note that pureed snake is also on the menu. :confused:

:eek:
See >>> http://petoftheday.com/talk/showpost.php?p=2265814&postcount=3

Is the Snake served "on the Bun" or as the Soup du Jour??

:p

I'll munch on whatever is Snake-Free ... and hold the Mushrooms, please.
;)

catland
05-20-2010, 10:48 AM
ergh (is that a word?) still cold and rainy here in stumptown - we'll get a taste of nice weather and then another "unusual cold front for this time of year" moves in on us. The only heat I'm feeling are my hot flashes.:eek::eek:

do we have a drink of the week?

Catherinedana
05-20-2010, 11:17 AM

Soup. . .definately.

Lady's Human
05-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Dainty sammiches

In Thursdays?

Where is Richard and who hacked his account?

Is the Barkeep in the L+F?:eek:

pomtzu
05-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Eewwwww - Cucumbers in any form other than pickles, are just plain Yuk IMO. Just one bite and I can taste them for days. :eek:

Strawberries and rhubarb are in season here now. A big slice of s/r pie sounds mighty good! :)

lvpets2002
05-20-2010, 12:00 PM
:eek: WoW my favorite kind of pie.. Please gets me a slice of that too.. Ok anyone seen Orc?? I sure hope he is not digging up Richard's cucumbers..:D

Strawberries and rhubarb are in season here now. A big slice of s/r pie sounds mighty good! :)

Queen of Poop
05-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Oh, Oh, (waves hand frantically), could I get in on that pie please???? One of my favs!!

Catherinedana
05-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Oh, yes! Large piece of pie!!

Lady's Human
05-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Funny, we just made Rhubarb pie yesterday. :D

Karen
05-20-2010, 02:36 PM
You should send me the rhubarb pie recipe! We have rhubarb in the church garden just sitting there ...

cassiesmom
05-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Barkeep, may I please have iced tea? Here, I've brought a lemon to use for tea and other drinks. It's sunny and 70F in Chicago today, so iced tea seems appropriate.

Thank you,
elyse

RICHARD
05-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Cucumber martini!

•2 oz. Vodka (Grey Goose)
•1/4 oz. Lemon Juice
•2 slices Cucumber
•3 pieces Mint
•1/2 oz. Sugar Syrup
Mixing Instructions
Muddle mint and a cucumber slice in a cocktail shaker. Add other ingredients and ice. Shake and strain into a chilled martini glass, and garnish with a slice of cucumber and a fresh mint sprig.

I'll be back....DONE!

lvpets2002
05-20-2010, 04:28 PM
:eek: WoW that drink sounds interesting.. Barkeep could you please gives Me & the Orc ones.. Found Orc finally.. Yup he was playing in the garden with the mega blaster water gun.. MMmm :p

wombat2u2004
05-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Funny, we just made Rhubarb pie yesterday. :D

Oh yum......never tried that.
We stew the stalks and eat it hot with custard here.

wombat2u2004
05-20-2010, 06:22 PM
I'll have a cucumber sandwich with the crusts cut off please.
An Earl of Grey tea.
And permission to stick my little finger out as I drink the tea, while listening to the maid play the harpischord :p

RICHARD
05-20-2010, 09:34 PM
I'll have a cucumber sandwich with the crusts cut off please.
An Earl of Grey tea.
And permission to stick my little finger out as I drink the tea, while listening to the maid play the harpischord :p

Yes, please don;t put you eye out with your pinky.

All of the above.....and a rhubarb pie. DONE.

And leave the maid alone.:eek::D

LP,

Two cucmber martinis....

DONE!

CM,

One glass of tea!

And warm weather all month.

DONE!

Karen,

Recipe and a slice!

DONE!

CD,

Pie!

DONE!

QoP,
Anther slice!

DONE!

POM,

Another slice!

DONE!

LH,

I needed litlle class this week!

DONE?

Catland,
Hi!

One cucumber martini and a dry spell!

DONE!

Cinder & Smoke
05-21-2010, 02:47 AM

Soup . . . definately.

The AC must have been set to "Puree" rathe than Slice, Dice, or Chop.

wombat2u2004
05-21-2010, 02:50 AM
And leave the maid alone.:eek::D

I' will try very hard.....but no promises :D:D

RICHARD
05-21-2010, 07:05 AM
The AC must have been set to "Puree" rathe than Slice, Dice, or Chop.

IT keeps the blades from getting clogged. :eek::o:D

WOM,

I'll dress the ORC up in the French Maid Uniform.
THAT will learn ya!:eek::D

Bonny
05-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Richard I am on the run. A large cup of cozy chamomile tea with honey in it & throw in some of those petite sandwiches in a bag for me. Can I barrow Orc with his water blaster for the day? I need him to help control any unruly students. I promise he won't get arrested. ;)

Pinot's Mom
05-21-2010, 11:33 AM
I never got my sandwiches, so I guess I'll just sit here and drink - you'll have to deal with the consequences! :p

wombat2u2004
05-21-2010, 11:38 AM
WOM, I'll dress the ORC up in the French Maid Uniform.
THAT will learn ya!:eek::D

Good.....ORC can wash the dishes...hee hee

pomtzu
05-21-2010, 11:44 AM
I never got my sandwiches, so I guess I'll just sit here and drink - you'll have to deal with the consequences! :p

I think maybe everyone got caught up in the thought of s/r pie! :p

Barkeep - you're falling down on the job, and if you're not careful, PM will be falling down right beside you. You really need to get this gal some food - and fast...............:eek:

RICHARD
05-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Richard I am on the run. A large cup of cozy chamomile tea with honey in it & throw in some of those petite sandwiches in a bag for me. Can I barrow Orc with his water blaster for the day? I need him to help control any unruly students. I promise he won't get arrested. ;)

Tea, hunny and petite sandwiches! DONE!

PM,

Dang, I don't know why I miss you all the time. Seriously...:o:( I

I know HOW I missed you.....After I post I rarely check anything from before that post. I posted the Cucumber Martini recipe and didn't go back...

Dainty sandwiches and spiked ice tea.
Done and Sorry!

momoffuzzyfaces
05-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Please give me a super size cherry vanilla coke. I've had a hard evening kitty wrangling. The babies are all tucked in their bed in the shed for the night so it's just me and my regular 4 right now. :love:

Oh, I called the National Cemetery about the problem with no being able to put a flower on Dad's grave because of their renovations. They came and took the flower out for me. Wasn't that nice? (if only they would take some kitties to Texas) :D

RICHARD
05-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Oh, I called the National Cemetery about the problem with no being able to put a flower on Dad's grave because of their renovations. They came and took the flower out for me. Wasn't that nice? (if only they would take some kitties to Texas) :D

Very cool,

Now you have to make your delayed trip when everything is done......

DONE!:D

RICHARD
05-21-2010, 11:41 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/funny-pictures-cat-wants-sandwich.jpg

Youz get a dayntee won, tuff guy?:)

Pinot's Mom
05-23-2010, 02:09 PM
PM,

Dang, I don't know why I miss you all the time. Seriously...:o:( I

I know HOW I missed you.....After I post I rarely check anything from before that post. I posted the Cucumber Martini recipe and didn't go back...

Dainty sandwiches and spiked ice tea.
Done and Sorry!

That's OK.:( I didn't need any food anyway....sniff....sniff....

RICHARD
05-23-2010, 03:00 PM
That's OK.:( I didn't need any food anyway....sniff....sniff....

No diets here at Thursdays!!!:p

Queen of Poop
05-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Hey all, I'm going to try a new pizza. Gluten free, has ham and pineapple. Anyone want to try it with me? Could I have one of those special drinks to help wash it down?

Pinot's Mom
05-23-2010, 04:38 PM
I love hawaiian pizza! I'm in! Funny thing - we are going out for pizza tonight! ;)

RICHARD
05-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Hey all, I'm going to try a new pizza. Gluten free, has ham and pineapple. Anyone want to try it with me? Could I have one of those special drinks to help wash it down?

Yes you can!

One cucumber margarita, DONE!

PM,

And pre-party slice for you!

Done!

Just got back from the store.

I put a pork shoulder in the oven this morning and cooked it for 4 hours.

I picked up some BBQ sauce and the freshest HOT rolls.

I got pickles and onions!

DONE?

Lady's Human
05-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Pickled beets anyone?

Just going through an old recipe book, found some recipes I remember......

Goign to have to make sure we have some green tomatoes this fall.

RICHARD
05-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Pickled beets anyone?

Just going through an old recipe book, found some recipes I remember......

Goign to have to make sure we have some green tomatoes this fall.

Oh, I was looking for a good "pickle recipe". I made some - experimented w/cucumbers - but the spice mix I used was for sweet pickles.:eek::confused:

I saw some pickling spices on line and wondered if anyone used them...:confused:

slick
05-25-2010, 07:47 PM
I'd like something strong please. I hate work. :rolleyes:

RICHARD
05-25-2010, 08:03 PM
I'd like something strong please. I hate work. :rolleyes:

Tequila straight,

Shots anyone?

DONE!

Pinot's Mom
05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
I know, if I order a DRINK you'll pay attention....:rolleyes:

OK-tequila w/lime and salt, please.

RICHARD
05-25-2010, 08:21 PM
I know, if I order a DRINK you'll pay attention....:rolleyes:

OK-tequila w/lime and salt, please.

Tequila, lime salt and the complimentary chips and salsa....

DONE!

Chips, say something complimentary to Pinot's Mom..:D

Karen
05-25-2010, 08:35 PM
If Lady's Human has Grandma Smith's pickle recipes, we'll have to have him share them with you Richard! As I both live in a city, have a yard too shady and dirt to poor to try to grow veggies, and am allergic to cucumbers, I didn't get the recipes.

Pickled beets, wow, been a while!

RICHARD
05-25-2010, 10:10 PM
If Lady's Human has Grandma Smith's pickle recipes, we'll have to have him share them with you Richard!!

I figure I have to something NICE for him....:D

Never had pickled beets before.:eek:

Karen
05-25-2010, 10:15 PM
Never had pickled beets before.:eek:

We used to call them pickled beeps! ;) Grandma Smith had really really yummy pickle recipes. And fairly legible (at least compared to her daughter, my mother) handwriting, too.

Lady's Human
05-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Yep, we're getting more into the older recipes.......

Mustard pickles, however, are a non-starter. Blech.

RICHARD
05-25-2010, 10:59 PM

Wait, you cannot post food reviews with posting a recipe first!:D

One man's pickles are another man's Blech!:rolleyes::D

wombat2u2004
05-25-2010, 11:42 PM

Mustard pickles are great !!!! Everytime I get a splinter in a finger, I whack the old mustard pickles on it, wrap it in an old dirty bit of gauze, and presto......it sucks that splinter right out in a day or two.

Bonny
05-26-2010, 09:01 AM
A mid-morning request before I have to go out & work in the gardens.

A large cold glass of MILK please.

A dill pickle sandwich with plenty of butter on the bread.

Pinot's Mom
05-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Anybody but me like watermelon pickle?

pomtzu
05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
As long as we're on the subject of "pickled" - how about some red beet eggs. That's what folks in these parts call hard boiled eggs and beets pickled together. If you've never had any, they are delicious, even if the eggs look rather strange, being the same color as the beets.
Being a native New Englander, I never heard of them or saw any till I married into a PA Dutch area family. It took me quite a while before I got up the nerve to eat one of those red eggs, but after just one, I was addicted. :) YUM!!!

pomtzu
05-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Anybody but me like watermelon pickle?

Me - Me (waves hand) ;);)

I don't care much for watermelon, but the pickled rind is great. That's what you're referring to - right?? :confused:

I made pickles once - too much work, considering I'm the only one here that likes them. I like dill or sweet, and absolutely love the bread and butter chips.

Queen of Poop
05-26-2010, 11:08 AM
In my last life I became the family pickle maker. Learned from his Granny and put it into practice for many years. Wonder who is going to make them now.

Pickled beets - yuck, beets are only good in borcht!

Everyone's gone to the field today and I'm here at the office by myself. Sure wish today was as busy as yesterday. Waiting for the rain to start later today and turn to snow on Friday.

Could I get a hot chocolate with a huge dolop of whipped cream please?

Bonny
05-26-2010, 11:24 AM
I make water melon pickles & sweet chuncks. The water melon pickles take a lot of work but they are worth it. :) I tried making dill pickles last year & they turned out to be HEART ATTACK DILL PICKLES they had to much canners salt in them & they ended up getting thrown out.

RICHARD
05-26-2010, 02:31 PM
I whack the old mustard pickles on it, wrap it in an old dirty bit of gauze, and presto......it sucks that splinter right out in a day or two.

Not even going to comment onb that.

The possibilities? Endless

DONE!

QoP,

Hot choco and WC?

DONE!

Bonny,

Dill pickle sandwich-extra butter and milk.

PM and Pom.

Watermelon Pickles, DONE!

Pickled beets, eggs and pickles for the rest of ya!

DONE!

Catherinedana
05-26-2010, 03:05 PM
One man's pickles are another man's Blech!:rolleyes::D

Hee hee! Profound!

RICHARD
05-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Hee hee! Profound!

Seriously,

What do you want from me?:eek:;)

Pinot's Mom
05-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Me - Me (waves hand) ;);)

I don't care much for watermelon, but the pickled rind is great. That's what you're referring to - right?? :confused:

Yup-that's the stuff! We were on a bike ride several years ago, in Virginia, and one of the rest stops had them. I had not seen watermelon pickle since I was a kid and went nuts! Coop thought I'd lost my mind.;)

momoffuzzyfaces
05-26-2010, 05:48 PM
I love pickles of all kinds!!! When we were kids, there was a little store across from out grade school that we could go buy these HUGE dill pickles. So, yummy!!! Maybe why I have high blood pressure now but sure great then. :D

Can I have a cherry vanilla coke? :love:

RICHARD
05-26-2010, 07:00 PM
I love pickles of all kinds!!! When we were kids, there was a little store across from out grade school that we could go buy these HUGE dill pickles. So, yummy!!! Maybe why I have high blood pressure now but sure great then. :D

Can I have a cherry vanilla coke? :love:

CVC!

DONE!

There was an old gas station on the way home from school that sold hot and dill pickles. Half a pickle was 5 cents and a whole one was a dime.

Wow..those were the days!:D