PDA

View Full Version : Something to Ponder

wombat2u2004
05-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Doctors vs Gunowners

Doctors:

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.

Now think about this:

Guns:

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
(Yes, that's 80 million)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.

Statistics courtesy of FBI

So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Therefore, we must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

Out of concern for the public at large, I withheld the statistics on lawyers.
For fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical help. :p

momcat
05-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Get real! You conveniently left out the statistic on how many people die while being treated by a doctor for a gunshot wound. Some jerk running around with a gun is far more dangerous than a doctor...the jerk with the gun has no regard for human life and safety. Doctors do. You can twist statistics to say anything you want as you have just proven. Don't you dare even start on lawyers. Get off your damn computer and get your facts straight.

happylabs
05-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Get real! You conveniently left out the statistic on how many people die while being treated by a doctor for a gunshot wound. Some jerk running around with a gun is far more dangerous than a doctor...the jerk with the gun has no regard for human life and safety. Doctors do. You can twist statistics to say anything you want as you have just proven. Don't you dare even start on lawyers. Get off your damn computer and get your facts straight.

:eek:

wombat2u2004
05-20-2010, 08:03 AM

wombat2u2004
05-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Get off your damn computer and get your facts straight.

No.

Bonny
05-20-2010, 08:30 AM
Doctors also like to charge $$$$$$ big time for removing bullets.:D

Puckstop31
05-20-2010, 08:37 AM

Well, educate us then. What ARE the facts, as you see them? See, I am one of those "jerks with a gun". Yet I have a VERY high regard for human life and safety, especially that of my family. Such a high regard that I am not going to rely on somebody else to keep them safe. I pray every day that I never have to.

How many people do die as a result of gunshot wounds? Of those, how many were inflicted by LEGAL gun owners?

Also, Wom, FWIW, did not twist the statistics. If anybody did, its the FBI. What motivation does the FBI have to lower crime statistics? Last I checked, government agencies try to justify their existence, not give reason for funding cuts.

Hoplophobes are interesting.

---

Wom - I do find it interesting that on one hand you have said our Bill of Rights should be burned up... Then you post this.

wombat2u2004
05-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Wom - I do find it interesting that on one hand you have said our Bill of Rights should be burned up... Then you post this.

True. I don't support your Bill of Rights.

wombat2u2004
05-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Well, educate us then. What ARE the facts, as you see them? See, I am one of those "jerks with a gun". Yet I have a VERY high regard for human life and safety, especially that of my family. Such a high regard that I am not going to rely on somebody else to keep them safe. I pray every day that I never have to.

How many people do die as a result of gunshot wounds? Of those, how many were inflicted by LEGAL gun owners?

Also, Wom, FWIW, did not twist the statistics. If anybody did, its the FBI. What motivation does the FBI have to lower crime statistics? Last I checked, government agencies try to justify their existence, not give reason for funding cuts.

Hoplophobes are interesting.

---

Let it be Puck......the post was intended as a joke anyway. But I guess some people are just crabby. ;)

wombat2u2004
05-20-2010, 10:09 AM

I am real.
I conveniently did nothing of the sort.
I twisted nothing
I have proven nothing of the sort
And I will start on lawyers if I choose
I won't get off my computer.
And I will get my facts straight if I choose to.

Now some advice for you........
You don't like what I write ??? You have a choice.......don't read my posts, or put me on ignore....either way, I will not lose a second of sleep.
Now run along and get a life !!!!

Bonny
05-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Wombat, What is wrong with our bill of rights? Just because we have lost a good part of our freedoms & our phony elected officials are busy taking more of them away from us? :mad:

wombat2u2004
05-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Wombat, What is wrong with our bill of rights? Just because we have lost a good part of our freedoms & our phony elected officials are busy taking more of them away from us? :mad:

Your freedoms are too open to abuse.

Puckstop31
05-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Your freedoms are too open to abuse.

I agree... In a sense. That is the reality of the world.

But a vast, vast majority of people are law abiding and exercise our God given and Bill of Rights confirmed rights. Our Bill of Rights does not GRANT any rights. It simply confirms Natural Law. You can torch the paper all you want. You can have European/Australian 'limits' on self defence, speech, press etc... That does not change my fundamental right to free speech, self defence, etc...

See, who gets to define "abuse"? You? The government? Society?

Also, are you saying you would rather be 'safe' than free?

wombat2u2004
05-20-2010, 06:02 PM
I agree... In a sense. That is the reality of the world.

But a vast, vast majority of people are law abiding and exercise our God given and Bill of Rights confirmed rights. Our Bill of Rights does not GRANT any rights. It simply confirms Natural Law. You can torch the paper all you want. You can have European/Australian 'limits' on self defence, speech, press etc... That does not change my fundamental right to free speech, self defence, etc...

See, who gets to define "abuse"? You? The government? Society?

Also, are you saying you would rather be 'safe' than free?

There has to be a limit to "freedoms". Duties of people are just as important as their rights.
I'm very happy to live under a system which doesn't have a Bill of Rights. I can't speak for Europeans, but I can certainly speak on behalf of Australians.
I believe that the majority of Aussies would prefer that to. Freedoms here are assumed, they have no need to be stated in some document, and we don't have the problems that such a document brings. There have been a number of times here that proponents of a Bill of Rights have tried to introduce that document, but it has failed every time.

Also, are you saying you would rather be 'safe' than free? No, I'm not saying that, in my opinion I'd rather have both, and I already do.....again without the problems of a Bill of Rights.

In Australia, where parliamentary democracy usually works reasonably well, we can trust the legislators. If they do not act justly, particularly if they act oppressively, they will be dismissed from office at the next election. This is how our democracy works.

A Bill of Rights here would, as in the United States, politicize the Courts. It would amount to, or produce, a form of judicial imperialism. It would transfer great power from the elected representatives of the people in all their variety, to the judges. But the judges are unelected.

A Bill of Rights entrenches attitudes to rights which become out of date with changing times. I have stated that in all threads on this subject that I have posted on. Any Bill of Rights drawn today would soon be out of date.

"See, who gets to define "abuse"? You? The government? Society?"
We all do.
Isn't that exactly where your Madison was coming from ??? He was reluctant to draft a Bill of rights in the first place.........who defines the rights of the people ??? Him ???

Lady's Human
05-20-2010, 06:33 PM
The bill of rights doesn't empower individuals, rather it limits the power of government.

Key difference? You trust your legislature.

We don't.

Lady's Human
05-20-2010, 06:34 PM
BTW, it was a JOKE!

Humor! (though the stats are straight from the FBI............)

Bonny
05-20-2010, 07:01 PM
Might as well bring in the lawyer he can stick up for he doctor & help him bury his mistakes. :eek:

wombat2u2004
05-20-2010, 07:14 PM
The bill of rights doesn't empower individuals, rather it limits the power of government.

Key difference? You trust your legislature.

We don't.

Fair enough.
Everything here has worked fine so far, so we are ok with what we have.

wombat2u2004
05-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Might as well bring in the lawyer he can stick up for he doctor & help him bury his mistakes. :eek:

Never seen a lawyer with a shovel :p

Lady's Human
05-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Never seen a lawyer with a shovel

I have.....a JAG officer attempting to dig a foxhole in the field......

Not a pretty sight. :D

wombat2u2004
05-21-2010, 03:06 AM

Pity he never buried himself...hee hee :p

Bonny
05-21-2010, 06:40 AM
I know a couple of lawyers that can handle a shovel pretty good but mostly golf clubs. ;)

Puckstop31
05-21-2010, 09:12 AM
First, thank you for the honest responce Wom.

There has to be a limit to "freedoms". Duties of people are just as important as their rights.
I'm very happy to live under a system which doesn't have a Bill of Rights. I can't speak for Europeans, but I can certainly speak on behalf of Australians.
I believe that the majority of Aussies would prefer that to. Freedoms here are assumed, they have no need to be stated in some document, and we don't have the problems that such a document brings. There have been a number of times here that proponents of a Bill of Rights have tried to introduce that document, but it has failed every time.

It is very interesting that you (and obviously other Australians) are OK with the simple 'assumption' of rights. Granted, Natural law already grants the certain rights to mankind, it need not be written down. But, sadly, mankind is sinful. (Or, if you prefer, hasa tendancy to selfishness or evil.) So all it would take to deny you your natural rights is the political will to make it so and a population willing to let it happen.

That is a LOT of trust to put in people who have power over you.

http://www.aph.gov.au/LIBRARY/pubs/rn/2001-02/02rn42.htm

Also, are you saying you would rather be 'safe' than free? No, I'm not saying that, in my opinion I'd rather have both, and I already do.....again without the problems of a Bill of Rights.

In Australia, where parliamentary democracy usually works reasonably well, we can trust the legislators. If they do not act justly, particularly if they act oppressively, they will be dismissed from office at the next election. This is how our democracy works.

A Bill of Rights here would, as in the United States, politicize the Courts. It would amount to, or produce, a form of judicial imperialism. It would transfer great power from the elected representatives of the people in all their variety, to the judges. But the judges are unelected.

A Bill of Rights entrenches attitudes to rights which become out of date with changing times. I have stated that in all threads on this subject that I have posted on. Any Bill of Rights drawn today would soon be out of date.

Freedom of Speech could become outdated? Right to face your accuser? Right to self defence?

What society thinks is important certainly does change. Natural LAW does not. That's why it is LAW.

"See, who gets to define "abuse"? You? The government? Society?"
We all do.
Isn't that exactly where your Madison was coming from ??? He was reluctant to draft a Bill of rights in the first place.........who defines the rights of the people ??? Him ???

"We all do". So, if society suddenly decides its OK to discriminate against, say the Aboriginals, good? The tyranny of the masses is still tryanny. Ask Ancient Greece.

That is my biggest beef with NOT having a written BOR. It makes everything relative in a black and white world. The 'progressive' types can try to (and often succeed) in convincing society that up is down. Just because the masses say something or believe something does not make it so. Thats the cool thing about the truth... Its the TRUTH. Why not write it down?

Also, no, Madison was quite in favor of a Bill of Rights. He fought for it agsint those who did not want a written BOR.

http://www.usconstitution.net/madisonbor.html

Puckstop31
05-21-2010, 09:14 AM

LOL. Or any Air Force officer. We had this intel guy traveling with us last trip to Bosnia. He killed the clearing barrell, THREE TIMES.

"Sir, do us a favor will ya? Do NOT put a round in the chamber next time we go out, ok? We got your back."

wombat2u2004
05-21-2010, 11:25 AM
James Madison, who wrote the US Bill of Rights, had earlier been opposed to the inclusion of any Bill of Rights in the Constitution. His reasons for not wanting it are also the reasons usually given by opponents of the inclusion of a Bill of Rights in the Australian Constitution.

One of the chief arguments against a constitutional Bill of Rights is that it gives judges too much power. The courts interpret the constitution, and from the highest court there is no appeal (though the Constitution can be amended -- a difficult process). As Americans sometimes say, "The US Constitution is whatever the Supreme Court says it is". In many cases the Supreme Court has interpreted the Bill of Rights by means of wire-drawn reasoning, reflecting the judges' political and social views.

The Supreme Court's power to interpret the constitution has made the appointment of judges a political issue, and in 1937 President Roosevelt sought to appoint additional judges (to "pack" the Court) so as to change the court's attitude (the US Constitution does not fix the number of judges). A President is expected to nominate judges ideologically acceptable to his supporters, and the Congress scrutinises these nominations in a partisan way. Since judges hold office for life, a President's nominations may make a long-term difference to the interpretation of the constitution.

To many it seems better to keep the courts free of politics and leave rights issues to the ordinary political process, in which politicians can be held responsible by the electorate -- on this view the best safeguard of basic rights is the political culture of a democratic country. However, this does not protect very well the interests of any group or groups who are regularly in a minority (e.g. racial or religious groups). The main argument in favour of a constitutional Bill of Rights is that it will protect the rights of minorities more effectively than the democratic process will. On the other hand (and this was one of Madison's original objections), people hostile to some minority will try to restrict and narrow the definition of rights when the Bill of Rights is being drawn up -- and the more explicit the definitions the narrower they are likely to be.

Puckstop31
05-21-2010, 12:01 PM
James Madison, who wrote the US Bill of Rights, had earlier been opposed to the inclusion of any Bill of Rights in the Constitution. His reasons for not wanting it are also the reasons usually given by opponents of the inclusion of a Bill of Rights in the Australian Constitution.

One of the chief arguments against a constitutional Bill of Rights is that it gives judges too much power. The courts interpret the constitution, and from the highest court there is no appeal (though the Constitution can be amended -- a difficult process). As Americans sometimes say, "The US Constitution is whatever the Supreme Court says it is". In many cases the Supreme Court has interpreted the Bill of Rights by means of wire-drawn reasoning, reflecting the judges' political and social views.

The Supreme Court's power to interpret the constitution has made the appointment of judges a political issue, and in 1937 President Roosevelt sought to appoint additional judges (to "pack" the Court) so as to change the court's attitude (the US Constitution does not fix the number of judges). A President is expected to nominate judges ideologically acceptable to his supporters, and the Congress scrutinises these nominations in a partisan way. Since judges hold office for life, a President's nominations may make a long-term difference to the interpretation of the constitution.

To many it seems better to keep the courts free of politics and leave rights issues to the ordinary political process, in which politicians can be held responsible by the electorate -- on this view the best safeguard of basic rights is the political culture of a democratic country. However, this does not protect very well the interests of any group or groups who are regularly in a minority (e.g. racial or religious groups). The main argument in favour of a constitutional Bill of Rights is that it will protect the rights of minorities more effectively than the democratic process will. On the other hand (and this was one of Madison's original objections), people hostile to some minority will try to restrict and narrow the definition of rights when the Bill of Rights is being drawn up -- and the more explicit the definitions the narrower they are likely to be.

A good arguement. And indeed Madison was originall opposed to a BOR.

I am grateful he changed his mind and had the first 10 Amendments added.

It is a shame that what we have for government today barely pays the Constitution any mind anymore.

wombat2u2004
05-21-2010, 12:08 PM
A good arguement. And indeed Madison was originall opposed to a BOR.

I am grateful he changed his mind and had the first 10 Amendments added.

It is a shame that what we have for government today barely pays the Constitution any mind anymore.

Are your pollies so out of touch with the ordinary man ???
If that is so, can't something be done about that ???

wombat2u2004
05-21-2010, 12:16 PM
I know a couple of lawyers that can handle a shovel pretty good but mostly golf clubs. ;)

I had a laugh about a statement made by my daughters boyfriends father....(a future in law ??? I hope not, he's a lawyer).......the statement..........
"Everyone who ever was in the military forces gets some form of PTSD"
That coming from someone who has never held anything in his hands but a pen.
I held my tongue on that one. ;)

blue
05-21-2010, 10:19 PM
It may have been a joke, but it isnt wrong.

Grace
05-21-2010, 10:40 PM
You can thank the State of Rhode Island, home of "the otherwise-minded, for the Bill of Rights. Rhode Island refused to ratify the Constitution - demanding that the Bill of Rights, which guarantees individual liberties, be added. Even with that, they were the last of the 13 to sign on.

wombat2u2004
05-21-2010, 10:57 PM
It may have been a joke, but it isnt wrong.

Well I can't vouch for the numbers and percentages....but if someone asked me, I'd say that it would have to be close to the truth....yeah. ;)

RICHARD
05-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Stop.

Guns and people do not kill, bullets do....The only exception?

You have your head caved in while a victim of a pistol whipping.

wombat2u2004
05-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Stop.

Guns and people do not kill, bullets do....The only exception?

You have your head caved in while a victim of a pistol whipping.

Also....I heard of a guy who dropped his gun on the ground, tripped over it, and was then run over by a bus.

Marigold2
05-22-2010, 09:42 PM
LOL that is funny Wom.

What about Dr's that shoot themselves or their wives after killing a patient and feeing the law come down on them, what about that ha.............???:D:D

Doctors vs Gunowners

Doctors:

(A) The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.

(B) Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.

(C) Accidental deaths per physician is 0.171.

Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services.

Now think about this:

Guns:

(A) The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000.
(Yes, that's 80 million)

(B) The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.

(C) The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is .000188.

Statistics courtesy of FBI

So, statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

Remember, 'Guns don't kill people, doctors do.'

FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.

Therefore, we must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand!!!!!

Out of concern for the public at large, I withheld the statistics on lawyers.
For fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical help. :p

blue
05-22-2010, 09:49 PM
What about Dr's that shoot themselves or their wives after killing a patient and feeing the law come down on them, what about that ha.............???:D:D[/FONT]

Dont forget the lawyers that get the doctors off so they can kill again.

Bonny
05-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Wombat, What about the doctors & lawyers that give us some form of PTSD when they hand us the bill for their services. :eek:

wombat2u2004
05-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Wombat, What about the doctors & lawyers that give us some form of PTSD when they hand us the bill for their services. :eek:

Well there ya go.
Your Bill of Rights does not contain a "Freedom to not pay my bills" clause. ;)