PDA

View Full Version : I helped out at a low/cost spay neuter clinic yesterday!!

moosmom
05-19-2010, 12:25 PM
Dr. Stinkney is amazing. I got to see a spay and a neuter. I know most people would be grossed out. But it didn't bother me at all. I found it fascinating when she did a neuter. I never saw a cat's testicles and will never look at another male cat the same way. She sliced open the sac and popped out the testicle, the size of a marble.

The spay was quite different. I never knew a cat's uterus was the size of a piece of dental floss. I was fascinated!!!! I told them if they needed help to let me know. I monitored the cats once they were out of surgery to make sure they were waking up. Wow!!!!

phesina
05-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Wow! What a fascinating experience that must have been, Donna.

I bet they were delighted to have your help, too.

Husky_mom
05-19-2010, 01:26 PM
wow.. nice experience..

dental floss?.. as in the string or the packet it comes in?.. now I´m intrigued.. lol

Randi
05-19-2010, 01:28 PM
That must have been interesting, although I'm not sure I'd like to actually see it done in real life - yeah, I'm a wimp. :o Well, perhaps I could handle it on a good day.

When Fister was trapped and neutered, Danish TV filmed it all for a childrens programme, so it was shown on TV. I taped it of course and still have it.

Are you gonna continue helping out there? Good for you - and the animals! :)

catmandu
05-19-2010, 03:02 PM
That would be an once in a lifetime experience to see that side of Our Cats that only veternarians and their assisstants usually only see!
That was so good of you to volunteer your help, and we hope that you will go back again soon:love::love:

momcat
05-19-2010, 06:30 PM
So when do you start veterinary school?

Laura's Babies
05-19-2010, 06:46 PM
I help SBR on S/N day and assisted the vet with no problem. To me is was all about HELPING to save so many lives and instead of seeing it as gross, I saw it as helping to do what had to be done.

With THAT said... I had a vet years ago that wanted me to just stand there and talk to him while he did MY cat... I freaked out and ran!

Freedom
05-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Good for you, Donna. I know when our feral cat rescue has a spay day (they do the boys too, but they call it a spay day), they need all the helpers they can get. Lots of us are just toting cats in carriers back and forth, and as you did at the end, watching to make sure they are OK afterwards.

Not sure I'd want to see the real surgery though.

When she is in heat, the female's uterus is almost the size of your pinkie finger.

RICHARD
05-19-2010, 09:02 PM
I never saw a cat's testicles and will never look at another male cat the same way. She sliced open the sac and popped out the testicle, the size of a marble.

LOL, I'll try to take pictures of the Orange Stray that visits.

This dude puts me to shame?:eek::rolleyes::o

moosmom
05-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Huskymom,

The string. I asked her why there wasn't alot of blood and she said that if the cat were in heat, there would be more blood. She said that dogs bleed like crazy.

RICHARD,

Thanks to your post, I laughed so hard, the phlegm in my chest came up. Appreciate it. You accomplished what Mucenex couldn't.

Eileen,

Vet school??? You're joking right??? I'm too old to go back to school. Besides, with my ADD, I forgot what I was just gonna post. Never mind.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-20-2010, 09:10 AM
LOL, I'll try to take pictures of the Orange Stray that visits.

This dude puts me to shame?:eek::rolleyes::o

An image I don't need thank you very much ;)

Must have been a great experience - really makes you appreciate the skills involved in being aa surgeon of any kind