PDA

View Full Version : Obviously....

RICHARD
05-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Before I read the article? I knew the answer to the 'worst name for a pet'....

Guess, then read....:eek:

http://www.pawnation.com/2010/05/14/what-your-vet-thinks-about-your-pets-name-and-about-you/?icid=main|main|dl2|link7|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pawnati on.com%2F2010%2F05%2F14%2Fwhat-your-vet-thinks-about-your-pets-name-and-about-you%2F

Marigold2
05-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Good read Richard. I have always named my pets people names for they are my children. Boscoe, Kei Kei and Clover already came named.
I do think Boscoe is a great name. My daughter usually does the same thing except for her two hamsters one was named Lint, the other Cougar. I loved the name Lint, it sounded so English, they have the best pet names like Toast, Bubbles and Wicky.
My husband meets lots of pets in clients homes. One he remembers fondly is Moose the basset hound.
When I was a kid we had a cat called Fastback, he would climb on up your back and sit on your shoulders and neck all day if you let him.

Catherinedana
05-18-2010, 06:52 AM
One of my Quaker Parrots was named Beekman and my vet told me that he loved that. She was actually named after a character in a book. So is Teacake, my lovebird.

Our other lovebird is called "Edla", named after the script supervisor on Gunsmoke (my husband is a big fan). Unfortunately, he is a male!! :eek:

wombat2u2004
05-18-2010, 09:20 AM
I had a budgie once called "Cheeky Chops".
That's because every morning I would say to him "get lost squirt", and he would say it back to me. :D

smokey the elder
05-18-2010, 09:21 AM
I tend to give my fosters very geeky names at times (and even my own cats.) RB Mobius got her name because she twisted like a Mobius strip when she was a kitten. CB, short for Carbon Black, was a black kitten. Quark was another black kitten that I swear could go invisible. (A "quark" is a very elusive subatomic particle.) A friend of mine had a cat named Sohcahtoa. This is from a trig mnemonic!:D

wombat2u2004
05-18-2010, 09:24 AM
At the moment I have my two Borders...."Bear" and "Ruby", a King Charles Cavalier "Shirley", two budgies "Fonzie and Babe", and my daughter has about 10 goldfish whose names range from Sebastion to Milo.....hee hee.

wombat2u2004
05-18-2010, 09:29 AM
A friend of mine had a cat named Sohcahtoa. This is from a trig mnemonic!:D

Hee hee....reminds me of when I was a surveyor years ago.
Maybe I should have thought along those lines when naming my pets, and called my dog "Azimuth" :p

happylabs
05-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Love it! The name Meatball made me laugh. The mule in the old Little Rascals show was named Algebra.

Casey's full name was Rosey Nosed Quesadilla Jones. She was almost Rosey for short but Casey seemed to fit her better.

My Black Lab we had years ago was Herbert T. Hoover. My ex loved the name Herbert and Hoover was because of the way Labs tend to vacuum things up. :D

And...last but not least....our Chocolate Lab Maggie was Brown Sugar Magnolia Jones. Sugar Magnolia was the name of a Grateful Dead song. Mr. Wonderful loved the Grateful Dead. :rolleyes:

Jones is not my last name. That part is a long story. :D

gemini9961
05-18-2010, 10:00 AM
My 3 dogs have "people" names. Sadie, Maggie and Grant. My childhood cat was Smokey and yes, she was gray. :) My brother's cat was Midnight and she was black. We got them as kittens we my brother and I were little so creativity was not our forte.

Bonny
05-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Had an Australian Shepherd named Bob Barker. There is a famous TV game show celebrity with that name. Bob got his name because the first night he spent with us was out in the garage & he was fitfully barking. Our bedroom wall & garage wall are joined. My husband said Barker, Bob Barker. We ended up bringing him in the house & putting him in a box with a stuffed furry toy dog, & ticking clock to sleep with.

aTailOf2Kitties
05-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Only my fish and birds have ever had funny names. My dogs were Lady (the movie) and Tiffany (after the pop singer). Not very imaginative, but I was a kid.

My male finches were Arnold and Danny (they were "twins"). Arnold's mate was Solo, because she was the only survivor from her brood. I think Danny's girl was Danielle. Their original offspring were Eeeny, Meenie, Miney and Moe.

Some of my goldfish were Hoover and Eureka cuz they always kept the bottom of the tank clean for me. Another goldfish was Booger, cuz he was a BIG ol' booger I picked myself. Then there was Nugget... My mollies were Millie molly and Dolly molly. Most of my bettas were greek letters: Alpha, Delta, Gamma... My angelfish was Gabriel (later named Gabrielle after a few eggs appeared)

Working at the vet clinic I saw all sorts of weird names: Dammit, Deogee (D.O.G.), Ciate (C.A.T.), Chicken Breast, Catpoo...OMG the list goes on...

I didn't name Toby or Havoc. Honestly, Toby is the one who's a menace. Havoc is a sweetie-pie :)

Taz_Zoee
05-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Growing up we had so many animals I can't even think of all of them right now. But I will tell you the ones that stick in my memory.
We had a white pony named Flea-Bitten. She had that name when we got her. She had small black spots on her, so I guess that's where it came from. We just called her Flea.
We had a litter of cats and named one DC (Dumb Cat). Can't remember why we named him that. But he turned out to be the smartest one. Got hit by a car and lived.
We found two GSD's years ago and named them Boo and Bigfoote. Boo was named because he was a scaredy-cat dog. And Bigfoote was because he had huge feet. We spelled it like a popluar monster truck at the time.

That's enough for now. :p

At the shelter I volunteer with they come up with some of the strangest names. They usually stick to a theme with the group as it comes in together. Some of them you can't pronounce or don't even want to call the animal. I was luck with Taggart. I really liked his name, that's why I kept it. :)

Suki Wingy
05-18-2010, 04:04 PM
I've always hated the over obvious names. I knew a liver chestnut coloured horse named Liver.

dab_20
05-18-2010, 04:54 PM
This is interesting. I remember interning at my veterinary hospital, there were some pretty odd names. I'm trying to think of one I remember was so odd.... brain fart :rolleyes: hehe

I've always named my pets human names... I don't know. I just go onto baby name or pet name websites and look until I find one that fits.
I think my favorite name I've named my pets was "Sugarbabie"... my white and tan guinea pig.
Another I like is "Painted Dreamer" that we named my little pony. We rehomed her a little over a year ago though to someone who had lots of time for her.

aTailOf2Kitties
05-18-2010, 09:01 PM
it's always funny when people let thier kids name their pet. I recall a male cat named "Angelica" because the kids insisted on it, LOL. There was a dalmation puppy named "Two Tom" cuz the kids honestly thought that was the name of one in the movie (it was actually TwoTone)

I almost forgot about the parakeet I had named "Boid" :D

Catty1
05-18-2010, 09:23 PM
At the boarding kennel where I work PT we have a regular client. He is an engineer, and his cat's name is Benzene. :D

There was a lively and irrepressible orangie named Wheels, too! If I think of any others, I'll post them here.

My sister swore that she talked to a guy years ago who named his two cats "Hey You" and "Who Me". :D

Twisterdog
05-18-2010, 10:00 PM
As a dog groomer, I see a lot of pet names.

I like the creative ones.

I think about every third dog we groom is named Gizmo. It's getting really overdone.

Pet names are like kid names - trends come and go. Over the last few years we have groomed a LOT of dogs named Zoe and Chloe.

I personally don't like the movie names. Understandable if you have little kids, I guess, but still .... I have groomed dogs over the years named Ariel, Aladdin, Mufasa, Simba, Buzz, Woody, etc. Of course, right now every other dog is named Marley. I just groomed a dog named Miley. :rolleyes:

When I was a kid we had a dog named Blood. Definately unique. (I didn't name her.)

Of my nine dogs, I named exactly zero. My son named Zeke, Vanilla and Sequoia. Rocky, Iggy, Gia, Lucky, Pepper, Georgie came with those names.

My uncle had a dog named "U-Back." He said he would let the dog out, it would run around for about 30 seconds then come stand at his feet. He would always say, "You back?" It stuck.

My current rescue pom was named Bandit. Lame, IMO. One of my groomer's three year old son thought we were calling him Bandaid. Funny. And my groomer says, as she tries not to step on him, "You are always underfoot, Sir!" So his new name is Sir Bandaid Underfoot.

RICHARD
05-21-2010, 11:18 PM
http://www.parentdish.com/2010/05/20/can-i-name-my-baby-after-the-dog/?icid=main|main|dl5|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parentd ish.com%2F2010%2F05%2F20%2Fcan-i-name-my-baby-after-the-dog%2F

Seriously?:o

krazyaboutkatz
05-21-2010, 11:51 PM
I've never been very creative with pet names. Storm, Pearl, and Ziggy Stardust were already named and I liked the names so I kept them. Sky was named Herman which I couldn't stand so I looked at his beautiful blue eyes and he became Sky. I was also going for a weather theme at the time because I had Storm, Sunny, and Cirrus before I adopted Sky.

My RB Pepper was named Chocolate before I adopted him but it didn't suit him so I named him Pepper because he was black, full of energy, and he would sometimes sneeze. Little did I know how common this name was. I named my RB Sunny even before I adopted him because I always wanted an orange male cat named Sunny and it went with Storm's name well. I named my RB Starr this because it kind of went with the weather theme again.

Growing up we actually had a female dog named Lucky. My mom named her because she was born on Friday the 13th which is supposed to be unlucky. She never ended up having any weird illnesses since she was named Lucky and she lived a good long life.:)

I named the family cat Puff. I was only 8 years old at the time and she was a fluffy orange cat. Another cat we had was already named before we adopted him and he was a large gray cat and you guessed it his name was Smokey.:)

We named one of our rats Quincy and I named another one Michelle. We also had two guinea pigs named Ann and Dan. We had two mallard ducks for a short time and we,the kids, named them Pecky and Quacky. How original and pretty embarassing now.:o

AdoreMyDogs
05-21-2010, 11:55 PM
The best and most fitting name I've ever heard for a pet was an adorable little long hair doxy named "Link". I loved, loved, loved that name. I don't plan on ever having a Doxy, but if I did, he/she would be named Link.

Kersey was actually named "Kersee" by her foster parents before I adopted her. She was named after Jackie Joyner-Kersee, the Olympian, due to her amazing athletic skill of leaping effortlessly over a chain-link fence w/ a single bound. I loved the name Kersee but wanted to make it my own, so I changed the spelling. Boone was named after the super hot guy in the show "Lost". I liked the name (and the man playing Boone was SO good looking) I decided to name my puppy Boone. Graham (my RB Aussie mix boy) was named after the cereal Golden Grahams, because he was about the same color as Golden Grahams, and at the time, it was my favorite cereal hehe.