PDA

View Full Version : Ah, the delights of spammers

Karen
05-17-2010, 07:24 PM
I have been amused lately by the new influx of spam purporting to be a psychic reading enclosed for me. If they really WERE psychic, wouldn't they know I'm deleting it unread?

Asiel
05-17-2010, 07:44 PM
You sound like me......:D :D

Hellow
05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
I haven't got any of those, but my spam folder has been having fun eating a bunch of messages like this one:

To: <<hellow@blank>>
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 19:04:09 -0400
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0006_01CAF5F3.BA9A4190"
X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook, Build 11.0.6353
Thread-Index: Aca6Q7J9K8MYI4UL14U3P2OUQCD5LS==
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2670
Message-ID: <01caf5f3$ba9a4190$0100007f@houston_jeri>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01CAF5F3.BA9A4190
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

WHAT A GREAT IDEA! Ring anytime We proelxvide a cos38dncept that will allohkoww anyoc5itxbpune with sufficient wo7acu81hfrk experience to1do1dw o451fbtain a fully verifiable University Degree. Bachelon74g7xrs, Masters oa7r even a Domr7cto3zel7gdrate. Think otf1mkphf it, within fozwur to1i six weeks, yohsswu tozogn6my5od0a1sy co6outoiguld be a cozcllege graduate. Many peo6itple share the same frustratio7pk0yywn, they are do55ing the wo2v5p41rk o12nwf3f the perso083kn that has the degree and the persossyn that has the degree is getting all the monc8ney. Doyx4g3tnt yo8bnxu think that it is time yo4baj9u were paid fair cou0aaelmpensatiouf05n foelqwv74r the level o4gi66gf woht1brk yo2elz3u are already dogbing? This is yoka09tbrur chance toiky4 finally make the right moelr6vjnove and receive yoelouselur due benefits. If yoyt9ssmu are moxtfj3kre than qualified with yoelpq6nel1pur experience, but are lacking that prestigionsus piece ovcwf paper kno18az60gywn as a d
iploc11kjgma that is o9uhb1ften the passpo97art to361n3 success. CALL US To3z7zstsmDAY AND GIVE Yob8UR Wo6kbayRK EXPERIENCE THE CHANCE To8rk EARN Yocpel3ndcU THE HIGHER CoxcjsnbMPENSATIocjwk02N Yoo6nU DESERVE! Ring anytime <cut phone="" number="">

Meh. This message listed many addresses in the "To:" header that were people with accounts on the same domain as mine, so I'm guessing they're specifically directed at said domain. Still, it would flip any slightly good email spam detection system, so I have to wonder why they even send them, unless they're doing it just to do it.
</cut></hellow@blank></cut@cut>

Vette
05-17-2010, 09:15 PM
LOL spammers are everywhere. even in video games :rolleyes:

Marigold2
05-17-2010, 09:25 PM
I have won billions in English lotto.

Karen
05-17-2010, 09:40 PM
I get messages all the time saying I have won money in this or that lotto - pick a country, and I have won it ...

Hellow
05-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Oh. 2 million USD from Nigeria.

Subject: YOUR AWAITING PARCEL FOR PICKUP
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 17:09:29 +0800
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1251"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000

Good day!!!

This is to notify you that your parcel is still in our possession, this
parcel contained an International Cashier Bank Draft/Cheque worth the sum
of $2 Million dollars only and it is ready for delivery to your door step.
Meanwhile, before the delivery or shipment will take place, you are advice
to send to us the following dataЎЇs mention.

FULL NAMES:
DELIVERY ADDRESS:
DIRECT CELL NUMBER:
DATE OF BIRTH:
MARITAL STATUS:

The above requested informationЎЇs will enable us deliver your parcel
correctly without any mistake or delivering your parcel to a wrong
person.

FedEx courier service company mailing you as per your parcel that was
brought to this company to be delivered to you by lottery groups.

We are happy to inform you once again that your parcel that contains the
sum of $2 million dollars is among the 24 parcelЎЇs listed which is now in
our office and also with your name as the receiver despite that we lost
your private residential addressЎЇs, which is an indication that you can
now re-send your residential address, telephone as stated above back to
the FedEx company where (<cut>)

Meanwhile remember that the sender of this parcel to you that the
fiduciary agent still owes this company the sum of $290 before incident
occurs, note that this company has spend out of their incomes in the
process by recovery back your parcelЎЇs dear customer we once again
appreciate your patronage in our favour.

Without hesitations you are to pay for just the balance left by your
sender since we have lost his contact via Western Union so that your
parcel can be delivered to your residential address before it accumulate a
demurrage after one week only, as you know your parcel is not just an
ordinary parcel but with a huge amount and I think you understand what I
mean by accumulating a demurrage? Which you will not allow to happen to
your recovery parcel that almost gone if not for the love that the good
God have for you by favouring you.

We assure you that your parcel will arrive at your country in two days
time and it will get to your door step the third day as soon as this
company receive the balance left by your senderЎЇ and the tracking number
of your parcel will be sent to you via e-mail immediately so that you can
track it yourself to see your parcel coming on the way and you will also
know when it will arrive at your country because we operate in trust and
loyalty.

FedEx provides access to a growing global market place through a network
of supply chain, transportation, business and related information
Services.

YOU ARE TO MAKE PAYMENT OF $290 VIA WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER.
Below is our approved payment department officer where you can direct all
payment to for safety.

SENDERS NAME-------
RECEIVERS NAME------NOEL EBOH.
SENDERS COUNTRY/ HOME ADDRESS -----
RECEIVERS COUNTRY----129 DEFENCE HOUSING AREA Abuja NIGERIA.
TEXT QUESTION------------ COLOR?.
TEXT ANSWER--------------- YELLOW.
AMOUNT TO BE PAID --------- $290
AND ALSO WITH THE MTCN NUMBER.

Please you have to send the full payment information including the MTCN
Number for we to fully proceed on your delivery

FedEx is one of the world's great success stories, the start-up that
revolutionized the delivery of packages and information. In the past 30
years, we've grown up and grown into a diverse family of companies -a

FedEx that's bigger, stronger, better than ever. Call:{}

WAITING TO READ YOUR E-MAIL.
YOURS AFFECTIONATLY.
MR.KELVIN SMITH.
</cut></[email protected]>

Marigold2
05-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Aren't we a lucky group? We could end world hunger, poverty and save many furbabies with all this cash.

catland
05-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I received a message telling me about how I needed to look into consolidating the enormouse debt from my credit cards.

Of course, the fact that I don't currently have any credit cards didn't seem to cross their minds.:eek:

momcat
05-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Another reason to hate computers!

DJFyrewolf36
05-18-2010, 04:04 AM
For some reason I get a lot of emails for "male enhancement products"

Do they know something I don't? :confused:

Pawsitive Thinking
05-18-2010, 06:46 AM
My parcel is "ready for despatch" - all I have to do is give them my bank details...............so kind of them, sending me something I haven't ordered ;)

moosmom
05-18-2010, 08:44 AM
I get them all the time. I've won the Australian Lottery, inherited money from some long lost relative in Nigeria (Nigeria???? right). Everytime I get one, it immediately goes into the "spam" pile.

wombat2u2004
05-18-2010, 09:02 AM
For some reason I get a lot of emails for "male enhancement products"

Send em to me....hee hee :p

wombat2u2004
05-18-2010, 09:11 AM
I have been amused lately by the new influx of spam purporting to be a psychic reading enclosed for me. If they really WERE psychic, wouldn't they know I'm deleting it unread?

But THAT'S exactly what those unread readings say. "Within 1 minute, you will dispose of this unread psychic reading message".
BECAUSE.....the exact one that you will eventually choose to open will have the message in it that was intended exclusively for you. :D

kokopup
05-18-2010, 09:36 AM
I have all the latest in spyware ,malware, etc, etc but i still have a lot to slip by in spite of all these programs. My real problem though is my virus,malware software blocking files that I want to go through. I have a netbook that I use a lot at night and a desktop that I use during the day. Starting a week ago I found that my virus software blocked Word files that I tried sending from my netbook to my desktop. i would get a message saying " OE has detected an unsafe file that has been deleted." It did not put it in quarantine somewhere so I could retrieve it. The virus software just deleted the file no matter what format I used to send it.

I finally had to resort to copying my file by using a flash drive. All efforts to email
a simple Word file failed.

Laura's Babies
05-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I got a new one for all of you! Spam by phone! I got a phone call today warning me my extended warranty on my vehicle was fixing to expire and I needed to renew it if I wanted to keep it. I wasn't aware you could even GET a warranty on a 9 years old vehicle with over 100K miles on it, much less that I had one on it... Did I do wrong in hanging up on them? :rolleyes:

pomtzu
05-18-2010, 12:33 PM
I have also already won billions, turned down offers to partner with a scammer that would net me millions, gotten mail from servicemen who have found barrels of money on Sadams property and want me to help get it to the U.S., sob stories of dying women whose husband and children have been killed and they want me to invest their millions in charities in the U.S., mail from the FBI directing me to deal with someone in Nigeria and that it is all legit, and on and on and on.......
The one that tickled my funny bone is one I got a couple of days ago. It was from a 17 year old whose parents were killed in some horrible accident, leaving her all their millions. Of course she couldn't get the money till she was in her mid 20's, so she wanted to sign it over to me, and then help her get to the U.S. She is presently in an Ethiopian refugee camp. Gee - I wonder when refugee camps got computers for their "residents" to use??? :rolleyes::confused:
What half way intelligent individual could believe any of these?????

Asiel
05-18-2010, 08:36 PM
What you're getting sounds twice as bad as what I get here. My gosh, some of those I never heard of and I thought I heard them all.....guess news ones are thought up every day. Those refugee camps are getting more and more modern aren't they ; )

Catty1
05-18-2010, 08:48 PM
kokpup - Spyware and antivirus programs don't stop spam...they have nothing to do with it (I presume you are talking about email spam).

How many programs are you running?

Not sure what "OE" is, but if it is deleting safe files, I'd dump the program!:eek:

kokopup
05-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Catty1

Not sure what "OE" is, but if it is deleting safe files, I'd dump the program!

It appears that Outlook express (OE) has added a feature in a recent update
that deletes files that meet certain criteria. I'm not sure what it uses to determine a file has a virus but it isn't doing a very good job. The files it is rejecting are Word files I'm sending to myself. There is a absolutely no chance of a virus.

Since this just started it must have come through on one of my recent MS
updates. I have good virus software without Outlook getting into the act.

If you do a Google search on "OE deleting unsafe files" you will see that many people have had the same issue.

wombat2u2004
05-19-2010, 03:04 AM
What half way intelligent individual could believe any of these?????

They make millions out of gullible people...that's why they do it, because sometimes it works.

smokey the elder
05-19-2010, 08:27 AM
I got a new one for all of you! Spam by phone! I got a phone call today warning me my extended warranty on my vehicle was fixing to expire and I needed to renew it if I wanted to keep it. I wasn't aware you could even GET a warranty on a 9 years old vehicle with over 100K miles on it, much less that I had one on it... Did I do wrong in hanging up on them? :rolleyes:

That's been showing up on both my cell phone and landline. My car is 8 years old with 150K+ miles on it.

Karen
01-21-2019, 04:19 PM
Okay, the past few weeks, my inbox is full of many many many emails purporting to be young ladies - all 25, scantily clad, etc., - who "love sex" and want to "firetruck" minus the ire-t, but with at least a couple extra uuus in that word.

Dear spammers,

While i am now widowed, even if I wanted to "get together tomorrow" for some fire trucking, my partner of choice would not be 25, would not be female, and would have better sense than emailing pictures like that.

Also, spammers, I am allergic to pot,/marijuana don't need it in oil form either!

And, spammers, telling me you have hacked into my email and are blackmailing me because you control my computer and recorded me visiting x-rated sites, try at least sending that to someone more gullible, and try an account with a name attached to it, not for example, "[email protected]."

cats4ever
01-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Sounds like my inbox!

mon
01-21-2019, 06:41 PM
We get some pretty evil phone scammers too. We usually never pick up the land line but we have received messages that our home is going to be repossessed and our taxes are in arrears and we haven't filed our income tax. Hilarious. That is all complete bullshit. Every single word. Never owed one dime, never will. You are quite right. Some folks might believe that crap and get all worked up, maybe financially screwed over as well. I think they pick on vulnerable peeps who they can rip off. Very sad. I'd rather starve to death and die in a ditch than prey on the most vulnerable people in our society. Everyone needs an answering machine. Screen your calls. If you are in debt....I wish you weren't.

phesina
01-21-2019, 09:00 PM
I get way more phone calls like that than ones from people I might actually want to hear from and talk with.

I am so thankful for the caller-ID on my phone! I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number and want to hear from whoever it is.

A lot of the spam calls even leave messages! I get one (or two) every day from some bunch that want to sell me "medical braces." Those come from different numbers all the time, so I can't just put a number for them on the "do not call" list.