PDA

View Full Version : how to password internet connection?

catnapper
05-15-2010, 07:10 PM
We are SURE our neighbor is stealing our internet. Today we somehow were able to peak into their computer. We have tried and tried to set I up a password on our internet connection. We have a Linksys router (or thing-a-ma-jig) and Verizon DSL. Any helpers?

blue
05-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Wireless router? Log into the router, set password for the router, then set a WEP key for the network, and disable the SSID broadcast.

catnapper
05-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Wireless router? Log into the router, set password for the router, then set a WEP key for the network, and disable the SSID broadcast.

Huh? :eek:

Ok, I figured out how to get a new SSID with password, but now can't figure out how to get rid of the old one that just says "linksys" and isn't protected.

Also, how can I change the name from the long string of random letters and numbers to a name we in the house recognise? And then how do I change the password from the randomly generated one I was given?

Karen
05-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Blue is right. The most important thing is to activate the WEP encryption in the Linksys web-based control panel. That's what will keep them from using your connection. The control panel will let you change the name of your router/access point but this is really unimportant.

catnapper
05-15-2010, 08:43 PM
I activated the WEP encryption, but somehow ended up with two connections -- one still says "linksys" and the other is the randomly generated list of numbers. I still can't figure out how to change the name and password (so I can tell the kids what network to use when they're home)

and I still can't delete the non-encryted "linksys"

Catty1
05-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Go back into your router wireless settings.

Where it says "linksys", change that name to whatever you want.

You can also change the random list of numbers to a password(encryption key) you can remember. Remember to SAVE all your options.

WPA is the most secure setting, but WEP is fine.

If all else fails, call your internet provider and have them walk you through it. You're their customer, they should be willing to help.

Hellow
05-16-2010, 02:33 PM
This is why I just use Ethernet. In most cases, far simpler and more secure, and nowhere near as big of a PITA as wireless networks can be. In my experience, at least.

What exact model of Linksys wireless router do you have? It should say on the bottom or front. WRT-54g's are a popular form of Linksys wireless router.