PDA

View Full Version : Greyhound Racing in RI: It's OVER!!!

Freedom
05-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Well, as of August 8th. After 62 years, greyhound racing in this state is DONE!!!

Been watching this battle on "the Hill" for a few months now. FINALLY the Governor signed the Bill late today.

I know several folks in the area who have rescued greyhounds as their pets. What loving dogs, but with so much to learn. One is still "afraid" of the kitchen floor and remains on the carpeting, after a full year of living with his new family, and another rescued greyhound as well.

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/national/northeast/view/20100514greyhound_racing_in_new_england_ends_with_ ri_bill/srvc=home&position=recent

FabulouslyFierce
05-14-2010, 09:52 PM
That is awesome! Those poor babies, I'm glad people are starting to fight more for the doggies!

MonicanHonda
05-14-2010, 11:57 PM
That is awesome news!

moosmom
05-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Greyhounds are gentle giants. My nephew has two of them, and one of the managers at BB&B has 7. Racing like that should've been banned years ago.

IRescue452
05-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Great news!! The paperwork on my friend's retired greyhound shows that his grandfather and father had over 3000 puppies in their lifetime, each. Only a small percentage of greyhound pups make it to racing, and less of those make it past the first few races. How many puppies were put down to make a few good racers? Terrible sport. Now to get rid of the even more barbaric sport: horse racing. Of course, since rich people love horse racing more than dog racing, that one will be a battle.

Freedom
05-19-2010, 06:35 PM
3000 EACH? OMDog!

Karen
05-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Congratulations. If the dogs were treated nicely, I wouldn't mind greyhound racing, as I know some of them just love to run, but I have heard too many horrors to ever support the "sport' and was glad when we banned it here in Massachusetts.

Vette
05-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Woot woot! thats awesome. glad to hear it