PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what's happening w/Coco Puff

Medusa
05-12-2010, 07:55 AM
He's been sleeping soundly and then suddenly he wakes up screaming. And I do mean screaming. A friend was here last evening when it happened and she said "What's wrong w/him? Was he fighting w/someone?" It's as though he's had a nightmare that he's waking up from. He doesn't appear to be in any pain but this has got me concerned. Has anyone else seen their cats do this?

Freedom
05-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Now THAT is a new one! No idea, hope you get the route of this issue.

Cuddles for Coco Puff!

happylabs
05-12-2010, 08:37 AM
No, not heard of it or experienced it. Poor baby is having nightmares maybe. :(

Medusa
05-12-2010, 08:47 AM
No, not heard of it or experienced it. Poor baby is having nightmares maybe. :(

That's what it seems like to me. I rescued him from kittenhood so what in the world would he have nightmares about? He's had a cushy life. LOL

catmandu
05-12-2010, 09:42 AM
I think that Cocoa Puff is having a dream.
He smells Sea Food and then sees a restaurant with signs of all sorts of great platters of shrimp, tuna and lobster.
He runs to the door and sees that horrible word.
CLOSED!
No wonder he screams NO!!!:eek:
We are hoping that it is a bad dream, and nothings wrong with Big Cocoa Puff:love::love::love:

Pawsitive Thinking
05-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Is this a recent development or has he always done it?

Medusa
05-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Is this a recent development or has he always done it?

It started about a week ago. He was sleeping at the bottom of my bed and had an episode and I flew out of bed b/c I thought he had hurt himself. He really is loud and seems to be in distress. My Creamsicle does it, too, but she always has and I chalked it up to her CH. Coco Puff is very slightly CH so maybe that's the link.

Laura's Babies
05-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Could someone have possiably (innocently or not) hurt him or just scared the daylights out of him? That is such a puzzel but I can't see him suddenly start having nightmares without something triggering it.. or possiable another cat hurt or scared him?

Medusa
05-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Could someone have possiably (innocently or not) hurt him or just scared the daylights out of him? That is such a puzzel but I can't see him suddenly start having nightmares without something triggering it.. or possiable another cat hurt or scared him?

Nothing as simple as that, I'm afraid, Laura. He was the only sleeping upstairs w/me when it first happened and he was alone on the back of the sofa yesterday evening. I sure hope it doesn't continue. I feel so badly for him. His blue eyes get as big as saucers.

Killearn Kitties
05-12-2010, 02:16 PM
What age is Coco Puff? Is it possible he could have a touch of dementia? I know that affected cats can howl when they are disoriented.

catmandu
05-12-2010, 03:35 PM
That could be true as I notice My Dear Old Princess almost 20 once in a while being agitated when theres noone around her:eek:
One thing about Older Ctas is that they stay in one spot almost all the time too.:confused:
My Princess is now relocated to the Kichen corner and Michael almost never leaves the spare bedroom bed:confused:
We are praying that theres nothing serious about Cocoa Puff , and apologize if you are offended by that sea food restaurant dream.
:love::love:

Medusa
05-12-2010, 03:46 PM
What age is Coco Puff? Is it possible he could have a touch of dementia? I know that affected cats can howl when they are disoriented.

He's a youngun, only 5 years old.

pomtzu
05-12-2010, 03:47 PM
I've never had a cat do it, but lately Myndi will wake out of a sound sleep just barking and carrying on. She's 14 now, so I just chalk it up to her age, and probably a little bit of senility too, since she acts somewhat strange at times. The latest is pacing around aimlessly. :(

Medusa
05-12-2010, 04:56 PM
It just happened again. I wonder if it's some kind of seizure. I went to him and picked him up and let me hold him but no purr. I may call Dr. Lee tomorrow if this keeps up.

lizbud
05-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I hope the Vet can help you with this. I would think it is a physical
problem & not a "mental" one. If there is no unusual stress in the house,
that could influence behavior.

Catty1
05-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Maybe it is a slight seizure, maybe connected with the slight bit of CH he has.

Hugs and prayers for Coco Puff.:love::love::love:

phesina
05-12-2010, 08:27 PM
It just happened again. I wonder if it's some kind of seizure. I went to him and picked him up and let me hold him but no purr. I may call Dr. Lee tomorrow if this keeps up.

Is there any chance he could be deaf?

Laura's Babies
05-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Maybe it is a slight seizure, maybe connected with the slight bit of CH he has

??????

I think a vist with Dr. Lee is called for now since he just did it again. That is so alarming...Scary for him too, poor baby.

krazyaboutkatz
05-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Mary, I'm sorry to hear this.:( Hopefully it's nothing serious and Dr. Lee can get to the bottom of it. Good luck.

Medusa
05-13-2010, 06:47 AM

His hearing goes in and out b/c of his sinuses. I can always tell when he's deaf again b/c he's so loud. He hasn't had another episode since I posted about the last one but I'm going to call Dr. Lee anyhow.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-13-2010, 10:05 AM
It started about a week ago. He was sleeping at the bottom of my bed and had an episode and I flew out of bed b/c I thought he had hurt himself. He really is loud and seems to be in distress.

As this is a recent development then I think you are taking the right course of action in getting him checked over. Just because there is no obvious sign of injury or illness it doesn't mean there isn't something going on that needs looking at.

Pinot's Mom
05-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Mary, I thought of deafness as well, but it was just all I could think of.:confused:

Let us know what happens with the vet - good luck! :love:

slick
05-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Mary, forgive me, I'm just seeing this now. Prayers and love coming your way that it's nothing serious. :love::love: