PDA

View Full Version : Newmarket OSPCA to euthanize hundreds of animals Update #23 - temporary layoffs

Catty1
05-11-2010, 08:39 AM
Oh NOOOO! :(:(:(

http://www.680news.com/news/local/article/53593--newmarket-ospca-to-euthanize-hundreds-of-animals

Newmarket OSPCA to euthanize hundreds of animals
Jaime Pulfer and 680News staff May 11, 2010 08:54:42 AM

TORONTO, Ont. - Hundreds of animals are being put down at an OSPCA shelter in Newmarket, Ont., because of a ringworm outbreak.

About 350 animals will be put down over the next few days.

The shelter has been trying to contain the outbreak for weeks.

OSPCA spokesperson Rosaline Ryan told 680News this is a particularly aggressive form of ringworm that has reached epidemic proportions.

"This is [a] completely heartbreaking situation [...] I know that people are upset, and I understand it, I'm upset too," Ryan said.

Ringworm is a contagious skin fungus that affects animals and humans.

Even so, Toronto Humane Society spokesperson Ian McConachie told 680News they've called on Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty to launch an investigation into this unprecedented situation.

"We hope that something will come in and the animals will be saved. As I said, we've recommended they consult with experts, and I think a better solution can be found, rather than euthanizing all these animals," McConachie said.

But, the OPSCA said it has consulted experts.

680News has learned it could be a few weeks until the shelter is completely sterilized and reopened.

Karen
05-11-2010, 10:24 AM
I am glad they are trying hard to contain the outbreak and hopefully not as many will need to be euthanized!

Catty1
05-11-2010, 10:40 AM
The implication in the article, Karen, is that they have been trying for weeks and have just given up! :(

There are some comments posted below the article - some offering to foster, etc. I hope some other pet people and shelters in the area can pitch in and save these cats!

Catty1
05-11-2010, 10:42 AM
It's already started. :(:(:(

http://www.680news.com/news/local/article/53593--newmarket-ospca-to-euthanize-hundreds-of-animals

I hope they pass peacefully...I am sure this is beyond heartbreaking to some if not all the staff. :(

Freedom
05-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Oh how sad! I am sure the staff are finding this overwhelming to cope with.

Ringworm can be treated and as the 2d article says, it takes time. Wish they had more foster homes as that would be the way to deal with this.

Prayers for all those animals.

Catty1
05-11-2010, 11:37 AM
It includes dogs, cats....only two turtles will be left.

One man rushed to the place when he saw his cat on the front page of the paper. His daughter had developed allergies...if hit cat is still alive, he will give it to his mother.

6 staff have ringworm too.

One staffer was fired (if you read the article) a week ago, as due protocols were not followed, apparently.

What a sick, sad, infuriating mess. :(:(:mad::(:(

Catty1
05-11-2010, 01:06 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/human-error-led-to-mass-euthanasia-at-newmarket-animal-shelter-ospca/article1564978/

Human error led to mass euthanasia at Newmarket animal shelter: OSPCA

Protocols were not followed, spokeswoman says

Toronto — The Canadian Press Published on Tuesday, May. 11, 2010 1:23PM EDT Last updated on Tuesday, May. 11, 2010 1:30PM EDT

An Ontario animal shelter battling a ringworm infection began euthanizing some 350 dogs, cats and other animals Tuesday, with officials blaming human error for the outbreak.

The Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said it decided to kill the animals after an attempt to contain the infection – which had also spread to six workers at the Newmarket, Ont., shelter – failed.

“We have some standard protocols as would any shelter when there is an outbreak of this type,” said Kate MacDonald, the society's chief executive.

“Unfortunately, we have determined in this situation that due to human error, the protocols were not followed.”

While Ms. MacDonald would not say what protocols failed she added “we don't believe it was willful.”

The ringworm could have been introduced by any animal “that's come through the door,” said Tania Firmage, acting director of animal care for the OSPCA.

Screening animals for ringworm is “part of the protocol” and tests show all of the rooms at the shelter have been infected, she added.

MacDonald said the illness had been festering for weeks and all adoption activity at the shelter has been suspended.

The branch will undergo a thorough cleansing and an inspection to ensure the ringworm is eradicated before it reopens for adoptions.

A handful of high school students were protesting outside the shelter Tuesday, and security guards were stationed outside the building.

Frank Klees, the Conservative member of provincial parliament for the riding, called on the province to step in and stay the euthanasia, but the Liberal government said it stood by the OSPCA's decision.

Ms. MacDonald said the OSPCA does “not take euthanasia lightly” and is “extremely saddened by the situation.”

Meanwhile, the embattled Toronto Humane Society weighed in on the OSPCA’s decision, calling it the “easy way out.”

President Bob Hambley called the action “unprecedented,” considering that ringworm is treatable.

A spokesman for the Toronto society echoed the sentiment.

“Ringworm is a fungal infection. It infects the skin and the hair of the animals,” said Ian McConachie.

“The treatment is three antibiotics and twice weekly shampoo using a special shampoo for the animals.”

While Mr. McConachie acknowledged isolating and treating more than 300 animals would be a time consuming, difficult process, he said killing the animals isn't the solution.

Both Mr. McConachie and Mr. Hambley's words follow an OSPCA raid on the Toronto shelter last November in which five senior managers were charged with animal cruelty.

The Toronto shelter is due to reopen on June 1 with a new slate of directors.

Medusa
05-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Oh how awful. :(

phesina
05-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Oh my God... How absolutely sad and tragic. This is just horrible.. especially since it didn't have to happen but for human error.

We had some ringworm in our shelter recently, but not that many cats were exposed, and the treatment protocols were very strictly followed.

This is heart-breaking.

king2005
05-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't trust a thing that comes from ANY Toronto Humane Society (THS) Members mouth, they are all crooked money hungry monsters & are angry at the OSPCA for cleaning up their nasty mess of Horrors, & are just seeking revenge. The THS has been filed under the same category as PETA & can never be trusted. I've seen what they've done & it was disgusting! It would have been better to just shut them down & open a New one with 100% new members that actually give a darn about the animals & everyone/things safety.

I've worked with the OSPCA before & they are strict about euthanasia. If they feel this outbreak is that bad & euthanasia is the only way then I'll painfully support it.

Remember they said this isn't a normal strain of Ringworm, this one is much worse. So chances are the medications aren't working & thats why they are forced to go this sad route.

With that strain, the animals cannot go to Foster Homes as the Foster Care Givers can get infected & spread it to the Public. Honestly, I don't want another Outbreak here in Toronto, SARS was bad enough...So it has to be dealt with at that Building.

I hope some animals can be saved, & the humans involved will recover in a timely manor. & they'll follow protocol from now on!!! Protocol is there for a reason, when its not followed horrible things can happen :(

Catty1
05-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Yeah, Jess - I kind of wondered who the THS was to point fingers!

king2005
05-11-2010, 07:56 PM
The THS is very lucky to still be functioning. I think all of the board members should have been replaced as it takes a board as a whole to steal that much $$ from the animals & to allow that much pain & suffering to go one for that many years :(

The THS is darn lucky they had as many supporters as they did. Our Rescue functions almost completely off of the Owners paycheque & he has 80 mouth to feed + 4 other locations to assist.

Catty1
05-11-2010, 11:57 PM
A sliver of hope.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/807651--dead-dog-walking

On Tuesday morning, the shelter began euthanizing 330 dogs, cats and small animals, a drastic move it said was necessary to eradicate a ringworm outbreak of “epidemic” proportions. Vets have determined at least 20 animals could be saved. They were taken to private clinics to recover in isolation.

“We are hoping that more will be saved; veterinarians are still in the process of examining the animals,” shelter spokeswoman Alison Cross wrote in an email Tuesday night. “We are taking the steps to make sure no healthy animals will be euthanized and more animals may be saved.”

OSPCA chairman Rob Godfrey said he and CEO Kate MacDonald will lead an investigation to find out what went wrong and how it can be prevented.

“We fully admit that human error played a role in this. . . . It’s not to say that following protocols in this place would have 100 per cent prevented this, all the information we’re getting from the vet is that it is vicious.”

smokey the elder
05-12-2010, 08:06 AM
6 years ago we had a very severe strain of upper respiratory go through our cats in my rescue group. There were many fewer animals, but with aggressive treatment they all survived. Ringworm spores exist in the environment; maybe a strong mutant strain erupted that was hard to treat. Sometimes things happen that people can't control; I'm glad they are able to save at least some of the animals.

Catty1
05-12-2010, 08:20 AM
ste - apparently it was a particularly virulent strain...they had spent at least a month trying to get it under control.

We'll see what today brings.

king2005
05-12-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm glad 20 might survive this. What about the 6 humans infected? Are they recovering?

Catty1
05-12-2010, 02:32 PM
They're examining each animal on a case by case basis...so more may be spared.

No word on the humans....but I haven't checked the news in a few hours.

Catty1
05-13-2010, 10:01 AM
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/808805--ospca-suspends-mass-euthanasia-at-newmarket-shelter?bn=1

OSPCA suspends mass euthanasia at Newmarket shelter
Published 1 hour 10 minutes ago

Brendan Kennedy Staff Reporter

The Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals will not go ahead with plans to kill all of the ringworm-infected animals at its Newmarket shelter, a local MPP said Thursday.

The reversal comes after widespread criticism of the decision, announced earlier this week, to euthanize all of the shelter’s nearly 350 animals in an attempt to contain the ringworm outbreak, which also affected six staff members.

According to Newmarket MPP Frank Klees, 99 animals had already been euthanized when the OSPCA decided to halt the killing.

Klees said another 96 animals had been placed in foster homes, where they will be tested and treated, and 140 remain at the shelter, awaiting further testing and treatment.

Animals will now be looked at individually to determine whether or not euthanasia is required, Klees said.

OSPCA officials could not be reached Thursday morning for comment.

The OSPCA’s about-face comes after heated protests outside its Newmarket shelter, where OSPCA volunteers, donors and other protestors openly wept and shouted “Murderers!” at the organization’s staff.

“Over time, public opinion took over, very clearly,” Klees said Thursday morning.

OSPCA CEO Kate MacDonald says on the organization’s website that it has been dealing with the situation since February.

But according to shelter insiders, the outbreak really began in early April, after staff found a cat, believed to be a long-haired Himalayan, with bald patches and scaly skin.

The animal was put into isolation, the former employee said, and staff tried to disinfect the building with a bleach solution and a fungicide. Meanwhile, all the animals were treated with a specialized dip. Several animals with severe lesions were put down in an attempt to curb the growing epidemic, but the infection continued to spread.

Klees said the OSPCA’s decision came after a phone conversation he had with OSPCA chairman Rob Godfrey on Wednesday night.

“I expressed to Rob that I believe it would be in the best interest of the OSPCA to bring an end to this euthanasia plan,” Klees said, refusing to discuss the details of the conversation.

king2005
05-13-2010, 01:51 PM
I can see this getting much uglier as in infecting many uninvolved pets & humans...

I was suppose to take Cam to get spayed by the OSPCA (different building) in that city in a month or so & Digi needs her Bordatella (sp)... Wont be taking them anywhere near NewMarket now... I can't put my babies at Risk!!! :love::(:love:

caseysmom
05-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Is it really that big of a deal for humans? Don't you just put some cream on and it kills the fungus?

king2005
05-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Is it really that big of a deal for humans? Don't you just put some cream on and it kills the fungus?

Its suppose to be worse strain, so I doubt its going to be as simple as that... Even if it is, many people cannot afford to buy medications anyways... ESP in my area... so I really hope it doesn't spread to here.

caseysmom
05-13-2010, 03:39 PM
When bubba had it I contained it and none of the other pets or myself got it. His medicine was quite expensive. I do believe humans can get the otc version that is not so much though. whenever I took bubba in for a checkup the vet looked at my arms to make sure I didn't have any sign of it.

I was a mad woman about vacuuming and even bathed casey with the special shampoo to prevent her from getting it.

Catty1
05-17-2010, 06:10 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/05/17/13982951.html

Animal care attendants at the OSPCA’s notorious Newmarket shelter got their walking papers Monday.

Officials with the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said 26 attendents were the targets of “temporary layoffs” because all the animals were moved out of the ringworm-infested shelter.

OSPCA spokesman Alison Cross stressed the layoffs were “definitely temporary” and the workers would be brought back when the ringworm is gone and the agency resumes regular operations.

After 102 animals were euthanized last week, the shelter was emptied of the last remaining animals Friday, forcing the charity to layoff staff Monday, Cross said.

“That’s because we have no animals for them to care for,” she said.

Around 15 animals are still on the property in temporary shelters outside the main building. Those pets arrived at the shelter after the ringworm outbreak.

Cross said rumours on social networking websites that the layoffs occurred so three dogs could be euthanized were false.

“We’re not planning on euthanizing any dogs,” she said.

While the Newmarket shelter was empty, the staff at the Abbotsford Animal Hospital was busy looking after 31 pets from the OSPCA.

Veterinarian Dr. Mark Cole receieved 25 cats and six dogs from the OSPCA late Friday after his clinic was offered as one of many foster homes for animals in the Newmarket shelter.

The Aurora vet is now scrambling to find towels and kitty litter to care for the animals while still waiting for word from the OSPCA on whose responsible for what in the foster relationship.

“Thirty-one (animals) are safe and sound here,” Cole told the Sun Monday from his Yonge St. animal hospital. “We’re just happy to know they are out of there.”

All the animals are undergoing physicals but cursory exams done over the weekend found no obvious signs of ringworm or any other conditions, he said.

“All are in good shape,” Cole said, adding it was a shame the OSPCA didn’t ask the community for help earlier.

“I think they underestimated the response from the community,” Cole said.

Ringworm has been spreading through the Newmarket shelter population since February, even spreading to staff and volunteers.

A week ago, the OSPCA told staff and volunteers that it would begin “depopulating” the pet population trapped in the building.

The OSPCA initially said 350 animals would be euthanized. After a howls of protest, OSPCA board chairman Rob Godfrey announced only around 100 animals would be put to death.

phesina
05-17-2010, 06:55 PM
God bless Dr. Mark Cole and the staff at the Abbotsford Animal Hospital. :love::love::love:

Are they (OSPCA) still going to euthanize some 100 animals?

king2005
05-17-2010, 07:21 PM
God bless Dr. Mark Cole and the staff at the Abbotsford Animal Hospital. :love::love::love:

Are they (OSPCA) still going to euthanize some 100 animals?

About 100 animals have been PTS already. To my understanding, they were the worst cases.

Catty1
05-17-2010, 10:42 PM
From the article:

After 102 animals were euthanized last week, the shelter was emptied of the last remaining animals Friday, forcing the charity to layoff staff Monday, Cross said.

It ends there. The rest are fostered in clinics, homes, and temporary shelter outside the building in Newmarket.

phesina
05-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Oh, thank God. I'm so glad they weren't talking about 100 MORE to be euth'd.

Many, many thanks for all those caring people who stepped up to the plate to keep this tragedy from extending further than it already had.

This line especially made me sad:
“All are in good shape,” Cole said, adding it was a shame the OSPCA didn’t ask the community for help earlier.

IRescue452
05-19-2010, 12:56 PM
You know what, as soon as they can start taking in more animals, they'll be full up again in no time. People only care when news like this happens, and that quickly goes away. Its not the shelter's fault they have so many animals to treat to begin with and thus such a small skin issue grew to such proportions. I feel bad for them for all of the mudslinging. Shelters don't HAVE to take on other people problems (unwanted aminals). Nobody HAS to take the responsibility of all of these unwanted animals except the owners. Shelters VOLUNTEER to try to do what's right for the animals, and then they get the full blame when the animals must be put down. At least somebody tried in a world where most people don't care enough to do anything significant about pet overpopulation. If just for one day, all unwanted pets were to be humanely put out of there misery, they'd be replaced by the next morning. What's going to happen to the pets who were saved? Back to their cages for more of their lifetime to be spent wasting away?

king2005
05-19-2010, 03:28 PM
You know what, as soon as they can start taking in more animals, they'll be full up again in no time. People only care when news like this happens, and that quickly goes away. Its not the shelter's fault they have so many animals to treat to begin with and thus such a small skin issue grew to such proportions. I feel bad for them for all of the mudslinging. Shelters don't HAVE to take on other people problems (unwanted aminals). Nobody HAS to take the responsibility of all of these unwanted animals except the owners. Shelters VOLUNTEER to try to do what's right for the animals, and then they get the full blame when the animals must be put down. At least somebody tried in a world where most people don't care enough to do anything significant about pet overpopulation. If just for one day, all unwanted pets were to be humanely put out of there misery, they'd be replaced by the next morning. What's going to happen to the pets who were saved? Back to their cages for more of their lifetime to be spent wasting away?
+1
They are not a Pet Sanctuary, & People don't realize that.