PDA

View Full Version : going to college?

Trinityagain
05-10-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm turning to the PT community for suggestions...the daughter of a very good friend is starting college in the fall, about 2 hours from home, and about 1/2 hour from me. I want to put together like a rubbermaid tote with stuff in it for her to take to school. The best I can think of so far is a few towels, washcloths...and then I get stuck. So the question is: for those that went away to school what is something you didn't take with you/nobody thought to send with you, that you wish you had....I want to make it practical and fun at the same time....she is a great kid, going into pre-med! :eek:

Karen
05-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Her favorite snacks - microwave popcorn if she likes popcorn - and a little electric kettle or way to boil water in her dorm room, which is incredibly handing for soup, tea, hot cocoa, etc. A nice mug, a soap dish ...

And a few envelopes stamped and address to her parents, just so she has no excuse!

Cinder & Smoke
05-10-2010, 03:57 PM
And a few envelopes stamped and address to her parents, just so she has no excuse!

:eek:
In THIS Day & Age ???? :confused:

You'll also have to include: *Instructions - How to 'Write' a Letter*.

Prolly ought to send a PEN, too. Might be hard to find one on campus.

:D

*LabLoverKEB*
05-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I like Phred's comment.... so true!:D
I think that is GREAT idea, I'm sure she'll appreciate it very much! I know I would!
Laundry bag
Starbucks card?
Rug for the bathroom
I don't have many suggestions, hopefully some moms/dads will have suggestions from their experiences with their kids!!

Karen
05-10-2010, 04:55 PM
:eek:
In THIS Day & Age ???? :confused:

You'll also have to include: *Instructions - How to 'Write' a Letter*.

Prolly ought to send a PEN, too. Might be hard to find one on campus.

:D

That's what makes it a fun idea, instead of a boring one. Letters to home are sooo retro!

caseysmom
05-10-2010, 05:15 PM
My kid will be at boot camp she won't have a choice...I plan on handing out stamped addressed envelopes to her at her graduation party so relatives will write to her. She heard letters from home keep you sane.

After that I plan on sending her her favorite snacks and regular undies:D

Prairie Purrs
05-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Something like this (http://www.dormbuys.com/shop/product/6282) for toting stuff to the bathroom. And a pair of flip-flops.

Sirrahsim
05-11-2010, 12:54 AM
easy mac, gift cards to anywhere she likes- Starbucks is especially popular if there is one nearby.
hmmm a lanyard for her keys would probably be useful if she doesn't already have one. My dorm room key lived around my neck.

smokey the elder
05-11-2010, 07:02 AM
This is going to sound odd, but good toilet paper! I swear my first few years they had that C-fold stuff that I swear was wax coated.