PDA

View Full Version : Copiers - What I didn't know about them.‏

wombat2u2004
05-09-2010, 01:32 AM
This is some scary stuff - in case you didn't see it on the evening news, you should check this out. I had no idea about this.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6412572n

happylabs
05-09-2010, 02:31 AM
Think of all those partying office people copying their behinds! :eek:

Medusa
05-09-2010, 06:52 AM
I got this in an email yesterday and shared it w/a few people. My computer guy wrote back that he already knew about it. It would've been nice if he had told me!

wombat2u2004
05-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Think of all those partying office people copying their behinds! :eek:

Find out the exact locations where that happened, and I'll personally track down those copiers, extract those copies, personally view them to verify if what you say is true, and then destroy them in my shredder. :p

Grace
05-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Makes me even happier that we have our very own copy machine :)

Laura's Babies
05-10-2010, 09:31 AM
WHY is there a hard drive in them to begin with?! WHO ever thought of putting those on there and WHY? What purpose does that serve anybody?... Just so they can charge $500 to erase the information? In today world where idenity theft is so rampant, all that information is just there waiting to be picked and used! I can't see any useful purpose of them even being installed on those machines. WHY are they there? Hump, reckon I will just completely distroy mine from now on rather than donate them somewhere. I will take the next one that breaks apart and see if there is a hard drive in it and distroy it if there is...

Lady's Human
05-10-2010, 09:38 AM
New copiers run an operating system, so they needs room for that, in addition to the demand for rapid scanning of documents. If you're going to rapidly scan 100 pages, there has to be space for it somewhere.

wombat2u2004
05-10-2010, 05:29 PM
New copiers run an operating system, so they needs room for that, in addition to the demand for rapid scanning of documents. If you're going to rapidly scan 100 pages, there has to be space for it somewhere.

Exactly !!!
Errrr...what does that mean ??? :p

Karen
05-10-2010, 06:07 PM
The way copiers work now is that they are a combination of a scanner and a printer. The scanner part does what an old flatbed scanner would do, and creates a file with the scanned image. It is far faster that way than old technology of having the image "captured" temporarily on a drum, and results in better copies. But if the files are not then set to erase as the end of the day, or the end of the week or at some set time, there they sit, forever after.

lvpets2002
05-11-2010, 12:33 PM
:eek: Wholy Crap I am like so Stunned.. I will be getting with my boss on our company copier.. Mine at the house is just a scanner & printer so I dont think it has a hard drive.. I will be checking into that too.. Thanks Wom for the Video update..

Karen
05-11-2010, 12:35 PM
:eek: Wholy Crap I am like so Stunned.. I will be getting with my boss on our company copier.. Mine at the house is just a scanner & printer so I dont think it has a hard drive.. I will be checking into that too.. Thanks Wom for the Video update..

If it has a scanner, it most likely has a hard drive, even if it is a small one, to hold the image between the moment it is scanned, and when it is printed.

lvpets2002
05-11-2010, 12:37 PM
:) Well that answered that.. Yes it is a scanner & copier & fax combo.. I just had no idea or even thought about them having hard drives..
If it has a scanner, it most likely has a hard drive, even if it is a small one, to hold the image between the moment it is scanned, and when it is printed.

smokey the elder
05-11-2010, 12:43 PM
I have access to some high field magnets...:p

Marigold2
05-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I have access to some high field magnets...:p
LOL I am e-mailing my boss.