PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to do...?

JuniorxMyxLove
05-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Sorry I haven't posted much lately...I've been lurking. Anyways...

Sometime this school year, I had the BRILLIANT idea to take Government over the summer. That way, I would be done in less than 3 weeks vs. sitting in the class all semester. Also, the government class has to debate, which is something I've dreaded since my sister did it two years ago. If I took it over the summer, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to debate at all, or at least not with as many people around. My parents were completely behind me, said it was a great idea.

I got the form to fill out today. $275 for a 17 day online class. My mom had an absolute FIT. I feel horrible about the cost, I had no idea. My counselor did NOT warn me that it was gonna be almost 300 dollars! So...if I don't take the course, I have to try and see my counselor about getting into a gov't class next year because as of right now, I'm not scheduled to take it. And I can't graduate without taking government.

SO...now my mom has offered me an ultimatum. Government or riding. If I take the summer class, I have to stop riding for a session, which would stink beyond belief because I just started riding again. I'm just starting to get back in the swing of things and having to stop again would just send me two more steps backward.

BUT...if I don't take the summer course, I'd not only be stuck in a pointless class for an entire semester, but I'd also have to drop a class...at this point, that class is art. I've been looking forward to taking a real art class since I got my scheduling card. I've never taken a REAL art class...I was hoping this would help me get to the "next level," so to speak, since I feel like I haven't improved in ages.

The ONLY thing I can think of as a way to take both the summer course and the summer riding session...I'm going to a journalism workshop this summer. Aside from riding, being on the newspaper staff is pretty much the bane of my existence. MIPA [the workshop] is supposed to be amazing, and I am super excited for it - 5 days up at Michigan State taking classes and all that fun stuff. It's like...$240 I think. IF I don't go to that, I might be able to take the other two. But I couldn't go last summer, and I was really looking forward to finally experiencing this.

GAH - why can't money grow on trees?! I have three things I really want to do...and one of them isn't gonna happen. I just can't decide which is less important to me than the others. Government class? Riding? MIPA Summer Workshop?

What would you guys do?

kitten645
05-08-2010, 07:43 PM
I would drop the riding. I ride myself so I totally understand that sucks. However, your job at this stage of your life is school/education. That has to be your priority. The summer will fly by quicker than you know and you can enjoy your time riding when you've accomplished your academic goals. Just my two cents!;)
Claudia

Scooter's Mom
05-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I agree; drop the riding.
I cannot stress enough how important education is.

phesina
05-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I third the motion! Get your education now.

You will enjoy riding all your life.

JuniorxMyxLove
05-08-2010, 09:02 PM
I can still possibly take the class during the normal school year (vs the summer) if I go talk to my counselor. I just don't want to have to drop art class in order to do it [I was finally gonna be able to take my first real art class!] AND I really liked the idea of being done in 17 days. -_-

I'm thinking...and obviously the government needs to stay. I think I might go crazy if I have to spend another session NOT riding...that's missing almost 12 weeks. I can barely do it once a year, and I'm FINALLY getting somewhere. So...it's looking like MIPA might not be happening. Which sucks, but I was going to take design classes and I guess I'm good enough to NOT take those. :/

WOAH - I looked at the MIPA registration form again...it's $380. Taking the summer government class would be easier on my parent's finances, AND they wouldn't have to make the drive from my house to Lansing 4 times in 5 days.

dukedogsmom
05-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Welcome to the adult world. You need to decide what's most important to you. Sounds like the art class is really important to you. I understand that. I love art. I think I'd drop the riding, too. You can pick that up a lot easier.

Alysser
05-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Are you going into Senior year of High school? If not, can't you take Government later on in your high school years. If you're going into Senior Year, than I suggest taking Government. It's only for a semester, and you do need it. Plus you don't have to pay almost $300 for it and skip riding. Also, if you planned on majoring in art in college you'll be taking plenty of art classes, and even if you aren't than you can still take art classes in college. Personally I think it's wise to take the government class during the regular school year.

Senior year scheduling is annoying, for me it was a breeze at first but now I want to drop Spanish and take Physics and I know my Guidance counsler is going to give me the gripes about it. But I need physics for my major, but she was worried because I'm taking 'so many sciences next year' -_-

moosmom
05-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Lots of great advice here. You definitely need to think what is more important to you.

JuniorxMyxLove
05-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Are you going into Senior year of High school? If not, can't you take Government later on in your high school years. If you're going into Senior Year, than I suggest taking Government. It's only for a semester, and you do need it. Plus you don't have to pay almost $300 for it and skip riding. Also, if you planned on majoring in art in college you'll be taking plenty of art classes, and even if you aren't than you can still take art classes in college. Personally I think it's wise to take the government class during the regular school year.

Senior year scheduling is annoying, for me it was a breeze at first but now I want to drop Spanish and take Physics and I know my Guidance counsler is going to give me the gripes about it. But I need physics for my major, but she was worried because I'm taking 'so many sciences next year' -_-

nope, this'll be my junior year. I could possibly take government my senior year, but I already know that's gonna be jam packed with everything I want to take before I graduate so I dunno if I'll have a semester to stick it in. I'm not majoring in art...which is why I thought it'd be kinda cool to take at least one official art class at some point, ya know?

I talked to my mom, and she agreed that dropping the summer journalism workshop is the best idea. That way, I can take the summer class AND keep riding. It sucks...but it sucks less than my other choices.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice!

DriftyAlison0
05-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I would pick education. However summer courses (at least in my college) crams everything into six or ten weeks. In this case it sounds like everything that would be in a fall or spring term government class would be crammed into three weeks. I would personally drop the MIPA Summer Workshop?

BitsyNaceyDog
05-09-2010, 04:39 PM
I talked to my mom, and she agreed that dropping the summer journalism workshop is the best idea. That way, I can take the summer class AND keep riding. It sucks...but it sucks less than my other choices.

That's the choice I would have made too. I personally wouldn't drop the riding. I know it's important to you and I think you should stick with it while you're young and have the time. Once you're in college and have a job, (and eventually if you decide yo have a family) it'll be much harder for you to find the time (and money) to ride. It's not impossible, but it is much harder.

kitten645
05-09-2010, 09:46 PM
12 weeks=3months=1/4 of a year. It will fly by!
Claudia

JuniorxMyxLove
05-10-2010, 04:20 PM
12 weeks=3months=1/4 of a year. It will fly by!
Claudia

but that, combined with the break I had to take over the winter, adds up to almost a half a year off. :( It most definitely doesn't fly by. It more like stumbles drunkenly in the general direction of being over.

I talked to my parents today about not going to MIPA, and they were shocked that I came up with, and chose, that kind of a plan c. When I told them, they both mentioned how excited I had seemed about going....*sigh* Whatever. I guess...depending on how finances are, I might be able to go to the workshop my junior year.