PDA

View Full Version : Tail Docking

ChrisH
10-19-2002, 01:52 PM
I recently joined the Anti Docking Alliance here in the UK. This information is on the site if anyone is curious
Mission Statement (http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/page_9.htm)

Twisterdog
10-19-2002, 08:59 PM
Well, you probably don't want to visit my house then, I have four dogs with docked tails - two fox terriers, a cocker spaniel and an Australian cattle dog.

I got the dogs when they were adults, I didn't have their tails docked, they were already done when I got them. I also have another Australian cattle dog with a natural tail. I really don't have a preference one way or another on the ACD's, they both look fine to me. But, quite frankly, I think my fox terriers and cocker would look ridiculous with natural tails. They would look like mixed breeds, IMO.

I can't imagine getting a puppy from a breeder, ever. I rescue dogs, and there are just too many adults needing homes. It's probably not something I would ever do. However, hypothetically, if I were to get a smooth fox terrier puppy or a cocker puppy from a breeder ... I would want its tail docked. It's my personal opinion that they just don't look "right" with natural tails. Maybe if the trend continues, and we start to see more and more natural tails in the USA, then perhaps I would get used to the look on my breeds, and be ok with it. But for now .... no.

I realize that docking and cropping are controversial topics. I'll offer my personal opinion on the matter - and it is just that, my personal opinion. I think whether or not you like or don't like the docked/cropped look, or would ever do it, is up to the individual, and shouldn't be dictated by others.

I personally would dock a puppies tail if it were a purebred of a breed that normally has its tail docked. I have witnessed several litters being docked, and when it is done properly, it is really not a big deal at all. I would not have a mixed breed's tail docked. I personally would not get a dog's ears cropped. I feel cropping is a much more complicated and painful procedure, and I don't really like the cropped look much.

Just MHO.

ChrisH
10-20-2002, 05:17 AM
Twisterdog, I would love to visit your house and meet your dogs, I love all dogs- with or without tails :) The two Dobes who once owned me had docked tails. It was not something, then or now, that would stop me getting or loving a dog, just that I believe it does not need to be done, especially just for looks.

You wrote

I realize that docking and cropping are controversial topics. I'll offer my personal opinion on the matter - and it is just that, my personal opinion. I think whether or not you like or don't like the docked/cropped look, or would ever do it, is up to the individual, and shouldn't be dictated by others.

I agree. Though I have added my name to the Anti docking lobby it is not to dictate that I would intend. It is true that I would wish to see docking/cropping disappear but I know that it is going to take an awful long time for that to happen, in the meantime I would like to see more information and choice available. Believe it or not a lot of people do not know that some breeds are routinely docked, they think they are born that way.

You wrote

Maybe if the trend continues, and we start to see more and more natural tails in the USA, then perhaps I would get used to the look on my breeds, and be ok with it.

It would take a long, long time but eventually that is how I would wish to be, USA, UK, everywhere.

anna_66
10-20-2002, 08:09 AM
I guess I'll put in my 2 cents.

I would personally never dock a dogs tail or crop their ears. I couldn't imagine doing it just for looks, now....that's not to say that I don't like the look, but I just wouldn't do it. Angus has a docked tail & the people who did his, did it with a butcher knife:eek: can you even imagine?!
I was telling Mark about this & the first thing he said was "He would look stupid with a long tail!". Which I came back with "If none of the others had their tails done, then you wouldn't think that." And he agreed.

I guess it's all just preference. I would still get a breed with altercations, just wouldn't do it.

ChrisH
10-20-2002, 09:12 AM
Some pics of dogs with their tails
English Cocker Spaniel American Cocker Spaniel

http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/breeds/cocker.jpghttp://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/breeds/amcocker.jpg
Dobie
http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/breeds/Dobermankobwin.jpg

Anna, I can`t find a pic of a Rottie with a tail, well, I found one pic where it looked like someone had just stuck a tail on with something! I have seen two with tails for real and I think they look good.
But I do have to admit that I think I do prefer Rotties without the tail.:o

Cookiebaker
10-21-2002, 05:17 AM
I can't believe that they dock tails just for looks!! I am horrified. I was of the ignorant class that thought certain breeds were born that way. I think those spaniels are SO beautiful with long tails.