PDA

View Full Version : Please crosspost far and wide

kittycats_delight
05-07-2010, 09:56 AM
http://www.wptv.com/content/news/topstories/story/cats-and-cat-coffins-and-boxes-animal-cruelty-port/6ov20v9UYEGvK7b_TYzWEA.cspx

Police find animals in 'coffins for cats'
Reported by: Bryan Garner

PORT ST. LUCIE, FL -- Port St. Lucie police arrested three people for animal cruelty after finding dozens of cats locked in boxes that one officer called "coffins for cats."

Police made the discovery Saturday. They received a call from a man who recently bought a home on the 300 block of Archer Avenue.

The man discovered a stack of wooden boxes left stacked in his new neighbor's back yard. The boxes were "completely surrounded and enclosed by garbage," allowing little air flow to get in.

Police found cats locked inside the boxes, which were screwed shut. Each box had a small vent; but the boxes were stacked, covered the lower vents and allowing no air inside.

"To me, that's a coffin for cats," said Tom Nichols, a Port St. Lucie Police spokesperson.

The animals were "panting heavily" when officers removed them from the containers.

Police learned the boxes were left by the previous owners of the home, James and Sheila Eskew and their daughter, Jessica.

When interviewed, the Eskews told police they planned to move to North Carolina and they built the boxes to transport the cats in the back of their moving van.

Police seized 31 cats and 2 dogs from the family.

"Many of them are showing signs of aggression," said David Robertson of the Humane Society of St. Lucie County. "It could be directly related to the conditions they came from."

Police arrested James, Sheila and Jessica Eskew, charging them with animal cruelty, a misdemeanor.

When the family members were approached for comment after posting bond, they ran to their van and drove away.

There is a slideshow on the webpage that has 7 photos which include mugshots of the 3 people involved.

lvpets2002
05-07-2010, 10:18 AM
:( Yes I Posted my thoughts of this on the Thread you did in Cat Rescue.. Horrible Horrible

3Catcondo
05-07-2010, 10:55 AM
What a shame!!!! :mad: I wish those people would be put in human size boxes with little to no air flow and stuck in a yard somewhere for awhile to see what it's like. No living creature deserves that. I'm glad the police know who did it and let's hope there is justice for these poor animals.

krazyaboutkatz
05-07-2010, 11:27 AM
This is horrible.:mad::( I'm so glad that someone found these poor cats and that these people were caught.

I was at Pet Food Express on Wed. evening and one of the employees said that someone left a sealed box in front of the store. Luckily one of the employees went out to check it out. Inside was a tiny kitten. If no one had gone out to see what it was, I'm sure that the kitten would've been dead before too long. I just don't understand why people do these things.:(

elizabethann
05-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Poor kitties. Mean people suck.

Anikaca77
05-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Poor kitties, I hope each of them will find a wonderful home. That's just so terrible.

Melissa

Laura's Babies
05-07-2010, 05:08 PM
This is unspeakable horror for those poor babies who did NOTHING to deserve this kind of treatment. My heart breaks for what these poor babies went through.

Catty1
05-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Speechless.

Just glad all cats survived.

I wish the people hadn't.:mad:

phesina
05-07-2010, 08:24 PM
I wrote some thoughts in this same thread in Rescue. Learning about this kind of thing sickens me beyond words.

Why are there so many so-called humans out there who are so filled with such utter evil that they take it out on totally innocent and helpless beings? Where does this all get evened out and made right?

Medusa
05-08-2010, 07:15 AM
I tried to post a comment and it said that the server was too busy. Probably just as well. There's no way that these people meant to take the cats w/them, not if the boxes were stacked that way and surrounded w/garbage. The poor cats. As for the people who did this, their day is coming....

moosmom
05-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Stupid, STUPID people!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Those rednecks need to be locked up. The stupidity alone is worth life without parole.

Those cats were showing aggression?? I'd be pretty pissed off too if I were in a box with a whole bunch of other cats and no air. Ugh!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

catmandu
05-08-2010, 09:27 AM
Theres so much meaness is some people. I think people in many ways are more spoiled than they were even 20 years ago and when they cant have everything that they want ,, they get mean.:eek:
And then they take it out on the small and the weak:mad:
I honestly think thats why there are so amny bullies in school:mad:
We are glad those Poor Cats :cool::cool::cool:are all right , and we pray for them all to find Furr Ever Homes!!:love::love::love:

momcat
05-09-2010, 08:02 PM
I am totally outraged! :mad: My heart is breaking for what these poor kitties were forced to suffer. How great that those responsible were caught and arrested. Do to them what they knowingly and intentionally inflicted on other living beings!

Is it just me, or does there seem to be an alarming increase in animal abuse cases recently?