PDA

View Full Version : My car dodged a bullet...

smokey the elder
05-07-2010, 09:48 AM
6 weeks ago I had the head gasket replaced on my Matrix, due to a slow leak. Yesterday my oil light went on, so I brought it to the shop. The crankshaft seal had nearly failed, and there was less than a quart of oil in my car!! The tech said that the engine could very well have failed on my way to work. Phew!:eek:

Barbara
05-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Oh my- with all those modern cars that come back to you with messages all the time I nearly forgot how important it used to be to check your oil all the time- glad it survived;)

Lady's Human
05-07-2010, 02:38 PM
6 weeks ago I had the head gasket replaced on my Matrix, due to a slow leak. Yesterday my oil light went on, so I brought it to the shop. The crankshaft seal had nearly failed, and there was less than a quart of oil in my car!! The tech said that the engine could very well have failed on my way to work. Phew!:eek:

I'd be talking to the shop.....It's a $7.32 ('yota's price) part which should have durned well been replaced when they did the head gasket. This should be a freebie.

kokopup
05-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Lady's Human

I'd be talking to the shop.....It's a $7.32 ('yota's price) part which should have durned well been replaced when they did the head gasket. This should be a freebie.

Disagree, A crankcase seal can go at any time, and when it goes usually the outcome is not very good. The cost of a seal is minor compared to the labor required to replace a crankcase seal. Head gasket's are easy where the crankcase seal is a major undertaking. There is absolutely no relationship to the Headgasket and crankshaft.

Lady's Human
05-07-2010, 03:36 PM
On new cars yes there is. To remove the head, you have to remove the timing chains, etc.

To remove those, you have to remove the timing cover.

Guess what's on the timing cover? The front crank seal.

kokopup
05-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Lady's Human

Guess what's on the timing cover? The front crank seal.

I know where all these gaskets and seals are on a modern engine since I recently replaced Timing belts on my Audi. The front seal may be where you say it is, but it has this little thing called a crank running through it. I do not recall him saying it was a front seal. Rear seals are difficult regardless of make, year or color.

Marigold2
05-07-2010, 07:55 PM
So glad it all turned out ok, the Matrix is a very cool car,