PDA

View Full Version : What time does your dog wake you up?

wolf_Q
10-19-2002, 11:10 AM
Just curious. Dogs seem to have an internal clock, and know just when to wake people up when it's the most annoying, lol.

My dogs: Smokey wakes up around 2:00, 5:00, 7:00.....he has to pee ALL the time at night. Of course he never eats during the day, but he wants to eat in the middle of the night. I completely sleep through his barking, so my poor mother has to deal with him. He seems to wake up more and more as he gets older. Last night I slept downstairs, so I actually heard him....I let him out at 5:00 a.m. and not 5 minutes after I put him back in his kennel, he began to bark. Well, that dog barked for over 4 hours straight, lol, and I slept through it...

Reggie..around 6:30-7:00, and sometimes he decides he wants out when Smokey gets let out. If he sleeps outside of his kennel, and in my room, he will sleep the entire time until I get up.

Nebo will sleep as long as I sleep. He is great! :D He just snoozes away in that kennel and I can sleep in....half the time he's still asleep when I get up. And my mom said I'd never get to sleep in if I got a dog. Ha ha. If I'm not in my room with him he will wake up earlier though.

Crikit
10-19-2002, 11:14 AM
Smudge wil let me sleep for as long as I want if it's just him and me. Winter on the other hand will usually wake me up between 8:30 and 9:30 on the weekends and 6:30 and 7:30 during the week...it's hard to sleep when you have a boarder collie jumping on and off the bedand because she's doing it Smudge will usually get up and start doing the same thing or sit at the door and stare at me until I do get up.

Cookiebaker
10-19-2002, 11:14 AM
Malone is pretty good about it, too. We usually get up around 6:30, and take our showers etc. Then when we come back to the bedroom to get dressed, he starts to stir and look up at us with these big soulful eyes as if to say "I'm trying to be so good in here, please can I come out now??" :D

manda99
10-19-2002, 11:47 AM
Smokey will sleep as long as I do on my weekends.
During the week I have to wake him up between 4:30 and 5am cuz I leave for work at 5:10.
Lucky pup gets to just go back to sleep in his crate, though.

Aspen and Misty
10-19-2002, 12:18 PM
Teddy sleeps all night. Lucky mom!

Chewy if in his crate 6:30 is all the longer he can stand to be in there unless I get out the squirt bottle, which I usually do so I can have an extra half hour of sleep :) When he is in bed with me, yea I know I failed as a mother my puppy sleeps in my bed :( but he goes crazy in his crate and pants and stuff anf looks like he is going to die :( I'm just a big softie for my babies eyes :) O back on topic, when Chewy sleeps on my bed usually he will sleep into 7:15 on the week days and untill he hears Teddy barking. I always slept through it till now, I wake up the second Chewy whins and I'm like what what what happened. I think its cause he is my little guard doggie, someone brakes in and I have to wake up to the sound of his tail thumping on the floor :rolleyes:

Ash

slleipnir
10-19-2002, 01:55 PM
Jo gets up when I do, unless dad gets up and feeds them. Zeke sleeps in the kitchen, so I duno bout him lol

Andie
10-19-2002, 05:47 PM
Katie usually sleeps til anywhere from midnight - 3 in my room (when she sleeps in my room she hasn't been doing that very often) then she'll go sleep with Mom and Dad.

If I don't hafta get up at 3 to work then Bull will sleep til about 6 when everyone else in the house (except me) but if I have to work at 3 then he'll lay in there alone til about 4 then go sleep on the dog bed in the den.

Logan
10-19-2002, 05:52 PM
Around here, it isn't the dogs, it's the cats!!! Either Mimii on my head, "loving me", or Butter banging on the blinds to get out!!!

He is a handfull, for sure!!!! :D :D :D

Glacier
10-19-2002, 06:04 PM
Preacher sleeps in later than I do. He gives me a look of pure disgust when I get up..He has the most amazing bladder control ever. Muskwa wants out at 7am. Earle will sleep til he thinks we are awake. Goldie won't come in our bedroom, although she is more than welcome to. She generally lays on the doggy bed in the porch until someone moves, then she whines to go out. Hoodoo and Bandit rarely make a full night in the house, they get way too hot. And generally Sleet will sleep until I get up. But sometimes she gets thristy. She's afraid of walking into the kitchen--lino and tile floors freak her right out. So she has to go outside for her water dish.

aly
10-19-2002, 06:06 PM
Both of my dogs and my cat stay snuggled in bed with me until I wake up, no matter how late I sometimes get to sleep in :)

sammi
10-19-2002, 06:31 PM
My husband sets the alarm for 6AM weekdays and always hits the snooze. Buddy & Abby don't move til the 2nd time the alarm goes off! They jump up and go wait by the door - they stay out about 15min. and go back to bed till I up.

turner
10-19-2002, 08:18 PM
Deisel and Phoebe sleep until we do on weekdays and weekends!

KYS
10-19-2002, 09:39 PM
We each have our own alarm dog clocks. lol
Pepper is a light sleeper and wakes my husband up for work around 5:30 a.m.
Rocky wakes me up for work around 6:30 a.m.
and I wake Sheba up around 7:00 a.m. so
I can feed all the dogs. :)

ownerof3dogs
10-19-2002, 09:54 PM
My dogs let me sleep as long as I want... except when they really have to go.

anna_66
10-20-2002, 12:35 AM
Roxey is my alarm clock, she wakes me up at almost the same time everyday, 6:30 (but I don't work until 11 or 11:30:rolleyes: )
Mark leaves for work at 6, so I don't quite understand why her internal clock is set for 6:30. She always jumps on the side of the bed & lays the top half of her body beside me. If I ignore her, she'll root under the covers & in my hair until I pay attention to her. But she never wants out right away, she wants me to love on her for a little while first:) I feel like a mother with her child, if she moves around at all, I wake up.
Angus, he could sleep forever! He gets up when I do during the week, but on the weekends when Mark is home, he'll stay in bed with him!
And Huney, who knows, I think she would sleep till I got up (but thanks to Roxey, we'll never know!).

Cincy'sMom
10-20-2002, 09:47 AM
During the week, my alarm is set for 6:15, so the girls usually wake me up between 5:45 and 6:00 :) On the weekends, it deends how much excercise they got the day before...if we weren't home enough, they wake me up just as early. If they are nice and tired, they may let me sleep til 8 or 9 before they want breakfast...last night we got home about 3 am ( cause of the haunted house) and they were nice enough to let mommy sleep til 8:30 :)

Pam
10-20-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Logan
Around here, it isn't the dogs, it's the cats!!!

Bella is a sleepyhead! She'll stay asleep as long as I stay asleep. Even when the cats start trying to wake me up, she gives them a look like "don't you have something else to do" and rolls right over. ;)

Tina
10-20-2002, 11:14 AM
Most the time they all sleep in until I do. But sometimes they get up around 7:30 a.m.

mugsy
10-20-2002, 06:11 PM
Which time?? Usually around 3am they get me up and then when I get up at 6am and occasionally around midnight. But with Mike working 2nd now, I usually let them out about 8pm and then Mike lets them out when he gets home and then they seem ok until I get up.

bnormal
10-21-2002, 08:54 AM
When my boy Quincey was alive he would jump on the bed at about 6am. Their is NO better alarm clock than a 115 pound hungry Doberman!

Now Callihan lets us sleep in until 6:15am. That is SO nice of him!

Dakota's Mommy
10-21-2002, 08:59 AM
With my two, I never know what time I'm going to be woken up! Before we got Destiny, Dakota was pretty good at only waking us up when she really had to go and sometimes it was after she went, well pee. But to poop, she always would wake us up when she couldn't hold it any more. Other than those instances, Dakota was really good at letting us sleep. But, now that we got Destiny, I've been up several times the last couple of nights. Dakota tried to sleep with us the first night causing me to have no room in the bed and wake up from being uncomfortable. After taking them out and trying to settle them down, Brian finally shut them out of our room so that we could get some rest, without having both of them trying to sleep on our bed. Then Saturday night, they both did pretty good, but they did wake me up to do a potty break in the middle of the night. Due to not settling back down, I shut them out of our room for the rest of the evening. However, Destiny got away with a lot last night. She decided she was going to sleep with us but woke me up at 2 am and again at 5 am. I took them out at 2 am, but Brian took care of the 5 am run. I am always so happy when he helps me in the middle of the night. It gets tiring after a while having to get up with them several times a night now that I have a job too! I'm really hoping that after the first week or two, the two of them will go back to the schedule that we had with Dakota, JUST wake us up if you have to go out. We're happy about that because then we don't have to clean it up when we get up. Other than those instances, leave us to sleep (generally speaking)!

ramanth
10-21-2002, 09:00 AM
Lately Kia has been waking me up around 3 a.m. but not because she wants out but because she is crying in her sleep. I'll stay up and pet her until she calms down and then I'll go back to sleep.

Normally the alarm goes off at 7 a.m. and she'll steal my spot on the bed when I head off to shower. (I warmed it up just for her. ;) Or so she thinks. :p :rolleyes: )

She won't budge and I have to coax her to get her to go outside for her morning duty.

Dakota's Mommy
10-22-2002, 04:02 PM
Normally the alarm goes off at 7 a.m. and she'll steal my spot on the bed when I head off to shower. (I warmed it up just for her. Or so she thinks. )

LOL! Dakota does the same thing, that is, if she wakes up and comes in our room when I get up. Lately she's been sleeping on her bed in the living room (or on the chair or love seat) so she doesn't even move when we get up until we make her go out to go potty before we leave for work! Of course, all of that only stands if she wants to sleep, if she wants to be up, she'll wake us up before we're ready just as I said in my last post on this thread!

monaliesa
10-22-2002, 06:28 PM
We're suckers....we tried to crate train Riely when we got her, but she would just bark for 5 hours straight...and we got no sleep...and we have neighbors in close proximity...for our own sanity...we let her sleep on the end of the bed...but usually she finds it more comfy under the bed or on the floor somewhere...

Riely has her own doggie bed on the floor of our room (which i spent all my Vegas winnings on)....usually she hangs out on the end of the bed for a lil while and then goes to sleep on a pile of clothes or under the bed...and shes usually in the dog bed when Jason wakes up....

and we keep Buddha on the bed with us...we keep him on the bed because he wont pee/poo up there...he's pretty good about sleeping through the night, but he'll whimper if he really has to go...

in the morning when Jason leaves, he takes them out potty and they come up and snuggle next to me...usually one on each side...and then i get up and get ready...they're almost always still sleeping on the bed until I have to go to work....i usually have to physically pick Buddha's tubby lil butt up (30 lbs already at 14weeks!) and carry him to the door to go potty one more time before I leave....and then he goes in the kennel...and Riely gets the run of the house...

Riely went to Planet Pooch today for a playday....she LOOOVES that place...she dragged me to the car..."daddy" is gonna pick her up...and she'll be a big tired lump of fur all night....and Buddha has his first Puppy Kindergarten class tonight....in about 2.5 hours....