PDA

View Full Version : Question for Canadians, and any cell phone users

Cataholic
05-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Are your cell phone plans with "free" long distance?

Karen
05-03-2010, 01:38 PM
We have "free" long distance for the US and Canada on our cell phone plan.

Cataholic
05-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Thank you for that information. I am thinking that is pretty common these days. This lovely woman, Canadian, for whom I am fostering some dogs for told me she couldn't call me as she wanted to avoid LD charges on her cell phone. Doesn't matter to me if she calls or not, we can communicate quite well through email. I was just caught off guard with the LD charges.

Queen of Poop
05-03-2010, 01:51 PM
We Canadians pay thru the nose for cell phone service. There are no free long distance plans here.

Cataholic
05-03-2010, 01:54 PM
We Canadians pay thru the nose for cell phone service. There are no free long distance plans here.

OOOHHHHHH......hmmm....once again, chalk it up to an American taking something for granted. Thanks for that information! I think that many of our land line services also provide "free" LD these days. :o

Queen of Poop
05-03-2010, 02:00 PM
I pay an extra $20 per month for my land line to have UNLIMITED long distance. This way I can talk to my mom every night and it doesn't cost as much as it could.

Pinot's Mom
05-03-2010, 03:05 PM
My husband and I THOUGHT we had service including Canada. Turns out, we don't. We travelled to Canada a couple of months ago and found if we are IN Canada and calling out, it's a steep charge.

Nomilynn
05-03-2010, 04:22 PM
I have a cell phone plan that allows me to call 5 specific numbers unlimited in North America, but no long distance plan for regular calls.

Shelteez2
05-03-2010, 05:12 PM
I once had a long distance plan added to my cell phone plan that allowed me to call long distance for $0.05/minute, I think it was like $10/month, but that was a long time ago. Right now I do not have any long distance plan on my cell phone.

Catty1
05-03-2010, 05:32 PM
No free LD for me on my cell (or on my landline either!).

I have pretty generous texting on my plan...is that like email? I wonder if I would pay for texting to the USA?

catland
05-04-2010, 12:34 AM
what about Skype? I've heard its good for international calls.

Sirrahsim
05-04-2010, 01:01 AM
My American cell contract had no charge for roaming or long distance at all.

My cell phone here in Germany is a whole other can of worms. There is no additional fee for roaming while in Germany but there are extra fees for calling out of Germany, for calling landlines, for calling mobiles depending on what network they are on:eek: They nickel and dime you to death over here! I am hoping that we don't have to use or phone when we are in Holland this weekend because it would probably cost us at least an extra Euro 0.50 a minute to make any calls at all.
I guess I should add that over here we pay nothing for incoming calls so that is pretty cool :D

king2005
05-04-2010, 01:15 AM
I have a cell phone plan that allows me to call 5 specific numbers unlimited in North America, but no long distance plan for regular calls.

I'm on the same plan... Its great for me as I only call 3 people & 2 of them are LD. Everyone else I chat with online.

Oh Skype is free ;)

wombat2u2004
05-04-2010, 01:54 AM
I'm on the same plan... Its great for me as I only call 3 people & 2 of them are LD. Everyone else I chat with online.

Oh Skype is free ;)

You haven't rang me yet.
Here's my number...........(012)345 6789 :p:p

king2005
05-04-2010, 04:59 AM
You haven't rang me yet.
Here's my number...........(012)345 6789 :p:p
nice fake number.. its not even close to an international number lol

i'll call you on the online skype... kingrattus ... let me know when you added me so i can turn it on... i want to say hi to karen n the doggies too.. no video, only voice :p

anyone can add me if they want.. just let me know who you are so i can accept, as i don't like the sex-bots that try to add me lol

Cinder & Smoke
05-04-2010, 08:11 AM
I think that many of our land line services also provide "free" LD these days.

"FREE LD" does NOT always mean "Free to Canada"!! :(

Both my local landline telco (Century) and cell carrier (Verizon/Alltel)
charge EXTRA for calls to Canada.

wombat2u2004
05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
anyone can add me if they want.. just let me know who you are so i can accept, as i don't like the sex-bots that try to add me lol

What ??? No sex-bots ???
Awwwww Jess......you're definately no fun at all !!!! :p:p

Sonia59
05-05-2010, 07:26 AM
My American cell contract had no charge for roaming or long distance at all.

My cell phone here in Germany is a whole other can of worms. There is no additional fee for roaming while in Germany but there are extra fees for calling out of Germany, for calling landlines, for calling mobiles depending on what network they are on:eek: They nickel and dime you to death over here! I am hoping that we don't have to use or phone when we are in Holland this weekend because it would probably cost us at least an extra Euro 0.50 a minute to make any calls at all.
I guess I should add that over here we pay nothing for incoming calls so that is pretty cool :D

What you describe is similar for most EU countries. It is different for landlines though, especially when you are using Internet. In my case I can call many countries for free (I only pay the monthly subscription), as long as I call landline. Calling abroad from mobile to mobile or from landline to mobile is pretty expensive.