PDA

View Full Version : What items/things remind you of your childhood days?

CountryWolf07
04-28-2010, 09:46 AM
What are your childhood memories, things, toys you used to love? Reason I ask, is it is for a photography project, and I would LOVE to create a purpose out of it. :) For me, the original nintendo, baseball & mitt, my first dog's collar and tags, playground swings & slide... now it's your turn.

Pawsitive Thinking
04-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Can't see a spacehopper without going back to many happy days spent bouncing around the garden :D

http://www.spacehoppersite.co.uk/

Taz_Zoee
04-28-2010, 09:52 AM
Oh wow, Easy Bake Oven. Talking slide projector (we always watched Bambi on it). The show Dukes of Hazard. The smell of tobacco from wrapped cigs (my grandpa smoked these). Barbies!!!
I'll probably think of more during the day. :)

happylabs
04-28-2010, 10:01 AM
My #1 would be my Beagle Tippy. I spent many hours outside with him. My parents got him when I was just a toddler and he lived to be 15+ years old. Also Barbies, paper dolls, and coloring. Oh and Nestle's Quik! I still drink it. :)

Catherinedana
04-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Colorforms (anyone remember those!?!), pixie stix, bazooka bubble gum and BB Bats (taffy-sort of stuff on a stick). The smell of warm wet sidewalk after a summer rain (I grew up in Brooklyn) and the way it sometimes let off steam after getting wet. The Good Humor man on a bicycle/freezer contraption. Pink rubber Spaulding balls (we called them Spauldeens). Going to the beach and buying Sunny Dew orange drink and knishes from the guy walking around selling them and eating everything with sand all over it!!

Freedom
04-28-2010, 11:27 AM
I was thinking of Colorforms just yesterday! It occurred to me that many of the games I play now on Facebook are the basic idea of Colorforms. LOVED those, had quite a few!

Other happy memories: my first dog, Lassie (guess who she looked like?) we got her when I was 5 years old, after me pestering my folks for a year for a "Lassie dog." Standing in the midst of tomato plants at my grandparents home, in August, picking one, rubbing it on my shirt and biting in. FRESH, warmed by the sun, and delicious! The smell of the corn boiling in a pot on the open fire at their place (NEVER find corn like that today!).

Toys: I love my plastic red wagon, Mom would fold laundry in the living room, load up my wagon, and I would deliver it to the proper bedroom. Of course, Mom had to follow; if I took them out and put them on the bed, they were all unfolded again! :D My flying saucer and sled for winter sledding. They were the "old" type. The saucer was metal, round, and when you hit bumps it dented. The sled also was metal runners, with wood slats.

happylabs
04-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Colorforms (anyone remember those!?!), pixie stix, bazooka bubble gum and BB Bats (taffy-sort of stuff on a stick). The smell of warm wet sidewalk after a summer rain (I grew up in Brooklyn) and the way it sometimes let off steam after getting wet. The Good Humor man on a bicycle/freezer contraption. Pink rubber Spaulding balls (we called them Spauldeens). Going to the beach and buying Sunny Dew orange drink and knishes from the guy walking around selling them and eating everything with sand all over it!!

Oh my goodnes...I forgot about Colorforms. Yes! I loved them. Wow...major deja vu.

moosmom
04-28-2010, 12:56 PM
The clown in the box that pops up after cranking the handle to the tune of "Pop Goes the Weasle".

My very first Barbie doll with short, curly red hair.

Karen
04-28-2010, 01:43 PM
My bear! I still have him, too, he's a little "loved" looking, but he's been mine my whole life!

Marbles, jump rope, and for me, of course .... CRAYONS!

pomtzu
04-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Ice skates, the Del Lemonade Truck and the ice cream truck, laying in the fresh grass in the summer and watching cloud formations, riding my bike with my brother to the local swimming hole, clam cakes and chowder at the shore Dining Hall, the piano at my aunt's old house in Lexington, MA, watching my Dad repair watches and jewelry, coffee cabinets made by Dad on a hot Saturday afternoon, my Mom ironing EVERYTHING - and I could go on and on.......;)
I actually have fonder recollection of events/happenings (no matter how simple), rather than material things.

elizabethann
04-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Play Dough. I actually have some on my desk at work. When I'm really stressed, I inhale it. It actually works...makes me calm.

Asiel
04-28-2010, 06:17 PM
Swings, teetter totters, balloon tire bikes, ice cream man, playing kick the can, climbing trees, the pond where everyone gathered for a swim, our summer cottage, going fishing with my dad, playing I spy with my brother on long trips...could go on forever I guess.

Marigold2
04-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Grape popsicles, Kool-Aid, Tootis Roll Pops, sleeding, the vinyl book bags with a handle my mom used to get me at Woolworth. Penny loafers, tops.

Catlady711
04-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Ok, no one has covered these....yet.....

Shrinky Dinks & Pop Wheels!! Anyone remember those?

CountryWolf - If you're thinking of the kind of photo project I think you are, then I did something similar back in the winter.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/picture.php?albumid=267&pictureid=2457

Anyone remember any of these items?

cassiesmom
04-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Colorforms and Shrinky Dinks and my Mrs. Beasley doll. Sit and Spin, Dawn dolls (I had one!), and a Lite Brite that still works. Shopping with my mom at Zayre and Venture stores. "Levi's for guys, gals and kids at the Gap." Disco music! Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific and Body On Tap shampoo (7th-9th grade). In 5th grade my best friend wrote a fan letter to Melissa Sue Anderson from "Little House on the Prairie" TV show and got a signed photo back - I was so jealous!

Taz_Zoee
04-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Oh my gosh, you are all taking me back! Donna, we had one of those jack-in-the-box toys. I hated it because it always scared me. Until I was able to figure out the combination of how long before it popped.

DJFyrewolf36
04-28-2010, 11:17 PM
For me its Commodore 64 (especially the Frogger and Ghostbusters games), cap guns and Dobermans (my parents always had a doberman :D)

Anikaca77
04-29-2010, 10:08 AM
In 5th grade my best friend wrote a fan letter to Melissa Sue Anderson from "Little House on the Prairie" TV show and got a signed photo back - I was so jealous!

I would have been so jealous too I loved that show and still do.

CountryWolf07
04-29-2010, 11:22 AM
When I was in 5th grade, I had a BIG crush on Jonathon Taylor Thomas! LOL He was Randy on "Home Improvement".... I wrote him a letter and got a signed photo back! I was so excited.

kokopup
04-29-2010, 02:03 PM
I started riding the bus to Birmingham at around 7 or 8 to attend the Mickey Mouse Club at The Alabama Theater. They had kids movies plus a Serial like Flash Gordon and they always played the big Wurlitzer organ. This was long before the Mickey Mouse of TV fame. This MM Club was actually the largest in the world. I would always go by the Krispy Creme Donut place and buy a dozen just for myself. Back then a dozen was around 25 cents and the movie was a Dime. I would eat lunch a Krystal and would pay around a dime each and have a Coke or Pepsi that cost 5 cents. Boy, this brought back some great memories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alabama_Theatre

sirrahbed
04-29-2010, 03:58 PM
Sugar Daddies, Sugar Babies, hopscotch, jacks, the sounds of kids playing outside at dark, Wizard of Oz, Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew, meatloaf, dandelions, saddle shoes!!:p

lizbud
04-29-2010, 04:44 PM
, bazooka bubble gum and BB Bats (taffy-sort of stuff on a stick)

You remember BB bats? I loved those things.:D Strawberry, Chocolate
or Vanilla, I liked them all.:)

The things that remind me of when I was a kid are mostly the intangibles.
The first smell of Spring in the air or the train whistle I used to hear as I
went to sleep at night. Makes me feel sooo safe & happy.:)

cassiesmom
04-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Colorforms and Shrinky Dinks and my Mrs. Beasley doll. Sit and Spin, Dawn dolls (I had one!), and a Lite Brite that still works. Shopping with my mom at Zayre and Venture stores. "Levi's for guys, gals and kids at the Gap." Disco music! Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific and Body On Tap shampoo (7th-9th grade). In 5th grade my best friend wrote a fan letter to Melissa Sue Anderson from "Little House on the Prairie" TV show and got a signed photo back - I was so jealous!

Did anybody else have a View Master? I had a special box to store the View Master and the photos. It was a shoe box, but my mom let me put stickers on it. :)

Catherinedana
04-30-2010, 06:41 AM
You remember BB bats? I loved those things.:D Strawberry, Chocolate
or Vanilla, I liked them all.:)

And Banana!!!

sirrahbed
04-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Did anybody else have a View Master? I had a special box to store the View Master and the photos. It was a shoe box, but my mom let me put stickers on it. :)

oh YES!!~ I remember those!! A few years back I bought viewmasters for my grandsons, but they were not impressed. LOL