PDA

View Full Version : Bret Michaels

Marigold2
04-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Bret seems like a really nice man. I watched him in Rock of Love and Celebrity Apprentice. This is a man who cried when he thought his daughter might have diabetes.
Very smart, very talented and a super nice man.
I don't hold out much hope but I pray for a miracle none the less.
Michaels in critical condition with hemorrhage

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/omg/assets/images/omg-spacer-1.0.0.gif<CITE>FILE - In this April 9, 2008 file photo, Poison lead singer Bret Michaels poses for a portrait in the Hollywood area of Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Gus Ruelas, file)Associated Press </CITE>
LOS ANGELES - Bret Michaels (http://omg.yahoo.com/celebs/bret-michaels/1224) is in critical condition suffering from a brain hemorrhage, his publicist said Friday. Joann Mignano confirmed a report on People magazine's website Friday that said the former Poison frontman was rushed to intensive care late Thursday after a severe headache. The report said doctors discovered bleeding at the base of his brain stem.
Mignano said tests are being conducted and that no further information was available.
The 47-year-old reality TV star had an emergency appendectomy last week after complaining of stomach pains. He said on his website that though the surgery "has taken its toll," doctors expected him to make a full recovery.
Michaels starred on the VH1 dating show "Rock of Love" and is a contestant on Donald Trump (http://omg.yahoo.com/celebs/donald-trump/203)'s NBC reality show, "The Celebrity Apprentice."
Trump said in a statement Friday that he was "deeply saddened" to hear of Michaels' condition.
"He's a great competitor and champion, and I hope he will be fine," Trump said.

Grace
04-23-2010, 10:31 PM
From the Washington Post -

Bret Michaels hospitalized with brain hemorrhage

People.com is reporting that "Celebrity Apprentice" contestant, reality TV staple and former Poison frontman Bret Michaels was rushed to the ICU Thursday night after experiencing an "excruciating headache."

Doctors discovered Michaels had suffered a massive subarachnoid hemorrhage (bleeding at the base of his brain stem) and he is currently in critical condition:

"After several CAT scans, MRIs and an angiogram, [doctors] decided to keep Michaels in the ICU and are running several tests to determine the cause. [It] will be touch and go for the next few days while he is under intense observation," a source told People.com.

Michaels, a diabetic, underwent an emergency appendectomy on April 12, but told fans in an April 19 note that his recovery was going well. No word yet as to whether the hemorrhage is related to his previous surgery.

If he indeed, had a true SAH (subarachnoid hemorrhage), he will be one lucky guy if he comes out of this with no deficits. I worked in Neuro ICU for 4 years, and took care of many SAH patients.

SAH info (http://www.bafound.org/info/subarachnoid.php)

Medusa
04-24-2010, 07:34 AM
There aren't too many celebrities that I give a fig about (I certainly wish none of them harm or misfortune) but I hope that he'll be ok. He's from Pittsburgh, close to where I grew up, so for some reason, I feel like I know him a little. He seems to be a decent guy and I pray for a miracle for him and his daughters.

Catty1
04-24-2010, 09:43 AM
There is a rumour of Bret's death circulating on the net, but it is just that.

Update:

http://www.entertainmentandshowbiz.com/bret-michaels-hospital-conscious-and-stable-2010042448017

Bret Michaels Hospital: Conscious and stable

Bret Michaels after being hospitalized on Thursday night after complaining about intense headache was found by the doctors that Michaels was bleeding from brain stem, also known as subarachnoid haemorrhage. But the good news is, he is conscious and stable but he is under supervision for the 24 to 48 hours.

According to Ambre Lake who told to the TMZ that the 80s rocker and now a reality show star is able to talk and has responded to the medicines. The doctors are hopeful that the rocker will be making a fast recovery.

Earlier this month Bret was hospitalised because he suffered excruciating pain in his stomach which was alter diagnosed to be appendix, hence emergency appendectomy was performed. He was making a good recovery, though it was hindered because of his diabetic conditions. Due to his emergency appendix operation his tours got postponed. Though, now nothing has been said or commented on when the shows will take place. One can expect that it might get postponed or cancelled because of his brain haemorrhage.

Another one from TMZ here: http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/23/bret-michaels-stable-condition/

However, a lot of these good reports are on blogs...surely groupies have blogs?...and hopefully there will be positive updates on mainstream sources soon.

anna_66
04-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I like the guy and hope he gets better.

Catty1
04-25-2010, 12:54 PM
So he is conscious, looks like...prayers!

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2010/04/25/bret-michaels-still-in-critical-condition-according-to-his-official-website/

UPDATE (4/25): Bret Michaels’ official website posted a new message on Sunday: “Everyone at Michaels Entertainment would like to thank all fans and friends for their continued thoughts and prayers through this difficult time.

At this point Bret remains in ICU in critical condition. He is under 24 hour doctors’ care and supervision. We are hopeful that further tests will locate the source of the bleeding, which has still not been located. As we all know Bret is a fighter and we are hopeful that once all is complete the slurred speech, blurred vision and dizziness, etc. will be eliminated and all functions will return to normal.

More information will be posted as it becomes available.”

Daisy and Delilah
04-25-2010, 03:29 PM
I really like him too. I pray he survives this and the after effects aren't too severe. What a shame. :(

momcat
04-26-2010, 08:13 AM
According to this morning's news, he's conscious but his speech is slurred and they said something about vision problems. Even though I don't like his music, My prayers go out for him!

Grace
04-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Donald Trump, who, it is reported, has been in contact with someone at the hospital, says Bret Michaels is in "big, big trouble and the prognosis is not great."

link (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/bleeding_michaels_still_source_intensive_BaJ441ovx nmGxhczWUIPQO)

RICHARD
04-26-2010, 05:57 PM
A sub arach hemorrhage is a leak in the blood vessels in brain.

It's a leak in the network of vessels that look like a spiderweb-hence the name-arachnoid.

Because the vessels are so small and wide spread, docs can get a general idea of where the hemorrhage is located, but they have to pinpoint the exact area of the rupture before they can open up the skull to repair it.

Not a good thing.

momcat
04-26-2010, 06:00 PM
When my Mom had her strokes, her doctors said the first 72 hours are the most critical. I just watched Donald Trump's video about Bret, I had no idea that he fell and hit his head. My prayers are being prayed for Bret and his family.

Grace
04-26-2010, 08:51 PM
A sub arach hemorrhage is a leak in the blood vessels in brain.

It's a leak in the network of vessels that look like a spiderweb-hence the name-arachnoid.

Because the vessels are so small and wide spread, docs can get a general idea of where the hemorrhage is located, but they have to pinpoint the exact area of the rupture before they can open up the skull to repair it.

Not a good thing.

When I was working in Neuro ICU, we had a gal in her 40's with an SAH due to an aneurysm. They did an Angio and found FIVE more aneurysms scattered in her brain. Only one had bled, so they clipped that one and two others that were close. The plan was to bring her back in a year and clip the others. She was one of the lucky ones - no deficits.

Catty1
04-27-2010, 07:28 PM
http://www.bretmichaels.com/2010/news_files/news.shtml

Bret Michaels Medical update -- Posted by Janna on Tuesday, April 27 2010

Test results indicate a setback in Bret Michaels condition a side effect from the brain hemorrhage called hyponatremia a lack of sodium in the body which leads to seizures.

Bret Michaels was the topic of Larry King Live as Donald Trump, Jr. and other celebrities weigh in on Michaels condition. Due to the severity of his condition, Bret Michaels continues to remain hospitalized in an intensive care unit at an undisclosed hospital. He remains in critical but stable condition according to his doctors.

Michaels' medical workup demonstrated findings of a subarachnoid hemorrhage, a type of stroke that causes bleeding in the fluid-filled spaces around the base of the brain. It presents itself suddenly as the sound of a loud gunshot or thunderclap at the back of the head causing severe cranial pain and muscle spasms. Many people are speculating Michaels head injury suffered from a prop striking the singer at the Tony awards last June is the cause. Additional studies are planned throughout the week to hopefully detect the exact cause of the rupture. Coupled with the fact that Michaels is a lifelong Type 1 diabetic and has recently undergone emergency appendectomy surgery while on tour in San Antonio, he will remain monitored closely by his medical team to make sure no complications occur from the diabetes.
The most common cause of this condition is a spontaneous rupture of a cerebral aneurysm, however, 15 to 20 percent of spontaneous episodes of this hemorrhage are found to have no cause. Michaels has undergone a continuous series of tests while in the ICU including angiograms, CT scans, MRI�s and transcranial dopplers (TCD's). Doctors state Michaels is very lucky as his condition could have been fatal. With further testing and rehabilitation, they are hopeful that Bret will gradually improve as the blood surrounding the brain dissolves and is reabsorbed into his system, which can be a very painful recovery and take several weeks to months. Michaels remains under 24-hour observation in the ICU and is in positive spirits. He is responding well to tests and treatments. Even though today was a minor setback Doctors remain hopeful for a full recovery and plan to release more specific information next Monday.

Catty1
05-04-2010, 09:28 PM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100504/entertainment/us_people_bret_michaels

Bret Michaels released from hospital

Tue May 4, 5:57 PM

By Jonathan J. Cooper, The Associated Press

PHOENIX - Poison frontman Bret Michaels has been released from a Phoenix hospital and is expected to make a full recovery after suffering a brain hemorrhage last month, his doctor said Tuesday.

Dr. Joseph Zabramski, chief of cerebrovascular surgery at the Barrow Neurological Institute at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, said he recommended that Michaels wait at least four to six weeks before resuming normal activity. He declined to say when Michaels could resume touring. Doctors will examine Michaels every two weeks until he's recovered.

"This produces a great deal of stress on the body," he said. "This is like being involved in an accident from inside."

Zabramski said Michaels is fully conscious and aware and talking fine, but he has back spasms and headaches when he tries to walk. He could continue getting back pain and headaches but Zabramski doesn't expect any other long-term effects. He wouldn't say when Michaels was released or whether he was sent home or to a rehabilitation facility.

The 47-year-old contestant on "The Celebrity Apprentice" is receiving therapy and will probably continue to suffer from severe pain for another seven to 10 days as blood pooled under his brain dissolves. Michaels is a Type 1 diabetic, which limits the available options to ease discomfort.

Michaels' was admitted into the hospital April 22 after suffering a severe headache. He was diagnosed with a subarachnoid hemorrhage, which causes bleeding in the fluid-filled spaces around the base of the brain.

Two tests showed that Michaels did not suffer an aneurysm, so doctors are unsure what caused his condition. They did not perform surgery or other invasive procedures but they plan a third test to check again for an aneurysm, a bulge in a weak part of a blood vessel that makes it more likely to have a second hemorrhage.

It is unlikely that Michaels' hemorrhage is related to an appendectomy conducted on April 12 or to Michaels being hit in the face by a descending set piece at last year's Tony Awards, a mishap that left the rocker with a broken nose and a busted lip. Hard hits to the head can cause hemorrhages, but not almost a year after the incident, Zabramski said.

Michaels, who filmed most of NBC's "The Celebrity Apprentice" last fall, is one of five remaining stars vying to win Donald Trump's business-themed reality TV competition. The other contenders are celebrity chef Curtis Stone, reality TV diva Sharon Osbourne, former WWE wrestler Maria Kanellis, pop singer Cyndi Lauper and actress Holly Robinson Peete.

If he avoids being fired by Trump in upcoming episodes, Michaels' prognosis means he could possibly attend "The Celebrity Apprentice" finale May 23 at New York University's Skirball Center. The finale features the last two contestants performing a final task, typically organizing a charity event, then debating each other live in front of Trump.

Michaels' representatives previously announced that his tour appearances scheduled through May 21 have been postponed, but that his other concert dates through October, including a summer tour with Lynyrd Skynyrd, are going ahead as scheduled.

Michaels already has ample experience at staging comebacks. After glam-rock was edged out in the 1990s, the "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" singer found fame again on reality TV, starring as a judge on USA's singing contest "Nashville Star" in 2005, then as the bad-boy bachelor looking for lust on VH1's tawdry dating show "Rock of Love" from 2007 to 2009.

— With files from Derrik J. Lang in Los Angeles.

Catty1
05-18-2010, 12:08 AM
Bret Michaels to return to busy schedule
Last Updated: Monday, May 17, 2010 | 3:31 PM ET

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010/05/17/michaels-bret-comeback.html

CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2010/05/05/michaels-bret-cp-8601371.jpg
Poison lead singer Bret Michaels is set to head back into a busy schedule of media appearances, concerts and filming TV shows this month. (Gus Ruelas/Associated Press)

Just weeks after suffering a near-fatal brain hemorrhage that left him in intensive care, Bret Michaels is poised to return to the spotlight on several different stages.

The Poison frontman has revealed on his website that he will be interviewed by talk show maven Oprah Winfrey on her show on Wednesday.

Also, on Sunday night's penultimate episode of Celebrity Apprentice, Michaels was revealed as one of the two contestants (the other being actress Holly Robinson Peete) left to duke it out before real estate mogul Donald Trump in the live finale episode on May 23.

Late last week, his representatives revealed that the rocker — who is set to release his new album, Custom Built, on June 8 — will resume his solo touring schedule on May 28. A gig at the Hard Rock Live in Biloxi, Miss. will be his first show.

The glam metal singer, best known for the Poison hit Every Rose Has Its Thorn, is also proceeding with a tour with classic rock icons Lynyrd Skynrd beginning June 10.

Health woes began in mid-April

Michaels, a diabetic, was forced to undergo an emergency appendectomy while on tour in San Antonio, Texas, on April 12. He returned to the Scottsdale, Ariz. home he shares with his girlfriend, Kristi Gibson, and their daughters Raine and Jorja for his recovery.

However, he subsequently suffered a subarachnoid hemorrhage and was admitted to hospital in Phoenix on April 22, remaining in intensive care for two weeks.

The 47-year-old singer and reality show personality was later moved to a physical therapy rehabilitation facility and "has increased his rehabilitation sessions to twice a day to prepare for his comeback," according to a statement posted Friday on his website.

Before his current stint on Celebrity Apprentice, Michaels appeared as the lothario on VH1's reality dating series Rock of Love from 2007 to 2009. He also served as a judge on the fifth season of the American singing contest Nashville Star in 2007.

Michaels will be back at VH1 in a new documentary series Bret Michaels: Life As I Know It this fall. The 10-episode series purports to offer viewers "an insider's look at Bret's home life when he isn't touring, shooting, partying and rocking out."

VH1 will broadcast a special premiere episode on May 31, but said it has pushed back airing the rest of the series until the fall, when it can continue production on remaining episodes.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2010/05/17/michaels-bret-comeback.html#ixzz0oFqRF0GA
:love: