PDA

View Full Version : Doggie Doors

Cataholic
04-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Does anyone have any experience with doggie doors that are activated by a magnet, or something, on the dogs collar- only? And, if so, do you have cats, too, that stay inside?

Cinder & Smoke
04-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Does anyone have any experience with doggie doors ...

:confused:

Ah-Haaaaa ... Do we have a NEED for a Dawggie Door?

Has there been a Foster Failure we otta hear about?

We're listening ...

Cataholic
04-23-2010, 08:37 PM
No one has failed anything. I am simply investigating possible options for longer term fosters. I would like the dogs to live upstairs, and not have to use the front door to take them around the back of the house. For whatever reason, the door to the back yard is in J's room. I have a side door off the kitchen, and I am thinking of converting that to a doggie door. But, cats are not allowed!

Cinder & Smoke
04-24-2010, 01:57 AM
No one has failed anything.
I am simply investigating possible options for longer term fosters.

We'll hope for a future Failure.

The "Key Operated" pet doors require the dog to wear a small radio transmitter
attached to its collar. As Fido approaches the door, the collr tag signals the door
to unlock, allowing Fido to "push" his way through the door flap. Once clear of the door,
gravity closes the flap, and the door re-locks as Fido walks out of the immediate area.

KATs, who don't wear a collar transmitter, won't be able to force open the door -
UNLESS the Kat is observant and isn't afraid of the dog. Da Kat can foil the door
by learning to closely follow the Mutt - and "sneak out" right behind the dog,
before the flap closes after passage of the dog.

Here's a chart showing several different doors sold by Doctors Foster & Smith >>>
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?&acatid=169&aid=260

;)

Cataholic
05-06-2010, 01:09 PM
No one has experience with these electric doggie doors? I am VERY leery of purchasing something like this without some sort of 'backing'.

Help me!!! :o

luvofallhorses
05-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Why don't you ask the people who sell them and ask them if they have one at home if they have dogs and how well it works? :)

Cataholic
05-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Why don't you ask the people who sell them and ask them if they have one at home if they have dogs and how well it works? :)

I don't think I can believe them. :eek::p

luvofallhorses
05-06-2010, 05:28 PM
LOL do you have any friends or family that use it?

Cataholic
05-06-2010, 06:58 PM
No, that is the problem!! No one I know has any experience with them. I am sure if I ask the manufacturer or distributor they will say they are great. Lol, I want real, paying customers to tell me. I was hopeful some dog owner on PT knew something.

Shelteez2
05-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Have you tried googling the actual name brand and consumer reviews? I only have experience with the normal flappy dog doors, and I know a cat could push through that no problem.

Louie and me
05-07-2010, 12:20 PM
A friend of mine had one connected to a sliding patio door for her two miniature schnausers and they worked fine. It took a while for them to get used to it but after that, they were in and out like the sun on an April day. She didn't have cats though.
Hope that helps a bit.

lizbud
05-07-2010, 04:42 PM
I don't have any personal knowledge about doggie doors, so I'm no help.:)

Cataholic
05-13-2010, 06:28 PM
I have broken down and purchased an electronic dog door. It should be here next week. Lordie, Lordie, Lordie. What have I done??? :eek:

Cinder & Smoke
05-13-2010, 06:53 PM
:)

I have broken down and purchased an electronic dog door.

Lordie, Lordie, Lordie. What have I done??? :eek:

:)

1) Prolly made a VERY Happie Dawggie!

2) And maybe an installation challenge for Dad?

What Make & Model did you order?

Cataholic
05-13-2010, 07:59 PM
After really researching them a lot and not finding tons of consumer input, I went with the one that seems to be best for the multi-animal population. I am still very concerned about my cats getting out. I will maybe see what goes on, and then, put collars on the cats that I am concerned about and add a little electrical current thingy near the door temporarily to train them to stay away.

Here is what I purchased:

http://www.k9electronics.com/product/1-PPA11-10709/PetSafePPA1110709ElectronicSmartDoorLargePetDoor.a spx

This seems like an install job for a 'professional'. I will call the contractor I use for home stuff.

bckrazy
05-13-2010, 10:54 PM
I had a very similar dog door at my dad's house, and my kitten never went through it. We mostly got it to keep out raccoons and skunks and opposums. A baby opposum climbed through our regular dog door. :eek:

It shouldn't be a problem with cats, unless you have a major escape artist, or a cat who gets REALLY attached to the dog.