PDA

View Full Version : What makes a dog bite?

Sirrahsim
04-23-2010, 12:26 AM
I got bitten yesterday and I am baffled as to what prompted the bite. It was more of a nip than anything and at first I didn't even think that it broke the skin. I was standing on the sidewalk next to my car strapping my son into his car seat. A girl came up along the sidewalk walking her dog so I took a step closer to my car and closed the door around myself as much as possible. I didn't even LOOK at this dog until I felt it turn around and nip me behind the knee. It didn't bark or growl, just chomped:confused::confused:
It was more shocking than anything and I didn't notice that the dog had done any damage until a couple minutes later when I checked out the stinging sensation and saw that a little bit of blood was oozing down the back of my pant leg.
So what gives? The girl who was walking him didn't speak English beyond repeating "Sorry" and I don't know enough German to tell her to stay put while I call animal control to pick up her insane man eating Collie (joking, mostly) so I don't even know where they live.
What would YOU as dog owners do?

Catlady711
04-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Not sure what prompted the dog to bite you. I know some dogs just plain don't like certain things about people (ie; male, female, facial hair, purfume, etc). There's alot of reasons animals bite people, and sometimes you just never really know why.

I don't know about the situation in Germany, but here Rabies is always a big concern. We have to quaranteen animals for 10 days if they bite someone to be sure they don't have Rabies. Since you don't know where this dog and it's owner live the animal can't be observed for a 10 day quaranteen, you would need to take the rabies postexposure shots to be sure. Rabies is almost always fatal, it's not worth the risk when it's preventable.

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/exposure/animals/domestic.html

I do hope you are able to find the dog, so you don't have to go through the shots. Good luck.

Cataholic
04-25-2010, 09:18 AM
I have a theory, all dogs bite, it is just a matter of when. There might have been something about the car door closing? Or 50 million other things.

As to rabies, here, in the county I live in, there has not been a reported case of rabies in 30 years. But, you are in another country, forget county! Get the shot!

Pawsitive Thinking
04-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Could be the dog is just allowed to bite and nip when it feels like it in which case it really should have been muzzled. Why it decided on you is anyone's guess. Is your tetanus up to date?

Sirrahsim
04-28-2010, 10:30 AM
I got a tetanus shot within the lost couple of years so that is fine.

Kind of an update on the situation, I am for sure not the first person in my neighborhood that has been nipped by this dog. I have seen the dog and the girl around a few times since then and each time the dog has been muzzled. I hope that they KEEP it muzzled while out on walks indefinitely. I don't want to get someone's family dog taken away but I don't want to put my kids at risk either.

elizabethann
04-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Yikes! Glad it wasn't your son that got bit because it could have resulted in more damage. I'm with the others...dogs can bite for a number of reasons. Let's hope you were the last "victim".

Pawsitive Thinking
04-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Kind of an update on the situation, I am for sure not the first person in my neighborhood that has been nipped by this dog. I have seen the dog and the girl around a few times since then and each time the dog has been muzzled. I hope that they KEEP it muzzled while out on walks indefinitely. I don't want to get someone's family dog taken away but I don't want to put my kids at risk either.

Good to hear that they seem to be doing something about it

buttercup132
04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
I have a theory, all dogs bite, it is just a matter of when. There might have been something about the car door closing? Or 50 million other things.

As to rabies, here, in the county I live in, there has not been a reported case of rabies in 30 years. But, you are in another country, forget county! Get the shot!
Your theory is bull , why not do some research on dogs and dog psychology.

There could be a lot of reasons as to why you were bit but without knowing the dog and being there no one will be able to answer your question.
It could have been something you did that you were totally oblivious to but set the dog off.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Buttercup, wow. You always have something to say about other people's posts, don't you? You are extremely harsh in a lot of your posts.

Cataholic is right. ALL dogs have the potential to bite. Doesn't mean they will, but they can.

I've never been one to get involved in conflicts, ever. But you need to do some research on how to communicate with other people without being rude. And I KNOW other people will agree with me.

Taz_Zoee
04-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Buttercup, wow. You always have something to say about other people's posts, don't you? You are extremely harsh in a lot of your posts.

Cataholic is right. ALL dogs have the potential to bite. Doesn't mean they will, but they can.

I've never been one to get involved in conflicts, ever. But you need to do some research on how to communicate with other people without being rude. And I KNOW other people will agree with me.

Agreed!!

caseysmom
04-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Agreed!!

I second that!

Suki Wingy
04-29-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm also not one to confront people and usually steer clear of an argument if at all possible, but the last few times I have seen Alicia post, it's been quite rude. Now there are plenty of other boards that will tolerate that sort of behaviour but I have always thought Pet Talk to be a very kind and mellow community.

Maybe that comment evoked a strong emotional response from you, but that doesn't mean you have to come back so harshly at her.

Lori Jordan
04-29-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you were bit..I have been in that position before also,Im not sure why. the dogs were in there senior years,I dont know if they could have been going blind,i moved to fast,regardless i was bit behind the knee both times.

As to the dogs biting,My little Ladies have been naughty latley.

Lacy bit a friend of ours 3 times in the stomach last year,It was my husbands birthday,Rob grabbed me threw me over his shoulders to throw me in the pool.Lacy was not having it,She retaliated.Her mind im sure was thinking she was protecting me,Which i want her to do.I was unsure how to react to the hole situation i was upset what she did,But how was i to scold her.She was doing what she thought was the right thing.Our friend has been over many times since then and she is sweet ol Lacy.When it comes to Me she is very protective as they say Australian Shepherds are very loyal.

Maggy has bit this friend 3 times,more of a nip she never drew blood like lacy did.And other peoples dogs have bit this friend too..I find it suspicious,I dont know if there intimidated by him he stands 6"5 and is a big guy,Maggy just nipped him last week and she does every time he is over.She has never did that to anyone before.

Maggy is a border collie,with very strong herding instincts.Kids cannot run around her they are guaranteed to be rounded up.But Maggy agressive it's not the way she is.I will fight tooth and nail for the girls,Im all they have to protect them.And if it means that this friend no longer comes over so be it.

Sirrahsim
04-30-2010, 12:12 AM

I agree completely.

mr.chiwawa
04-30-2010, 02:21 AM

You said that a whole lot nicer then I would have;)

buttercup132
04-30-2010, 03:39 PM
All dogs can bite yes, but thats not what she said.
She said all dogs bite it's a matter of when.

So her theory is that all your dogs are gonna bite someone in some point in its life.

pomtzu
04-30-2010, 03:42 PM

Oh yes - agreed 100%. You probably remember a thread of mine about the psycho dog running loose - well I finally had to delete it because of the totally uncalled for comments being made by this 19 year old know-it-all - the one who has been there and done that and knows all about that - no matter what the subject matter. :mad:

buttercup132
04-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Oh yes - agreed 100%. You probably remember a thread of mine about the psycho dog running loose - well I finally had to delete it because of the totally uncalled for comments being made by this 19 year old know-it-all - the one who has been there and done that and knows all about that - no matter what the subject matter. :mad:
Mmm no only when it comes to dogs..

Shelteez2
04-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Lacy bit a friend of ours 3 times in the stomach last year,It was my husbands birthday,Rob grabbed me threw me over his shoulders to throw me in the pool.Lacy was not having it,She retaliated.Her mind im sure was thinking she was protecting me,Which i want her to do.I was unsure how to react to the hole situation i was upset what she did,But how was i to scold her.She was doing what she thought was the right thing.Our friend has been over many times since then and she is sweet ol Lacy.When it comes to Me she is very protective as they say Australian Shepherds are very loyal.

Maggy has bit this friend 3 times,more of a nip she never drew blood like lacy did.And other peoples dogs have bit this friend too..I find it suspicious,I dont know if there intimidated by him he stands 6"5 and is a big guy,Maggy just nipped him last week and she does every time he is over.She has never did that to anyone before.

Maggy is a border collie,with very strong herding instincts.Kids cannot run around her they are guaranteed to be rounded up.But Maggy agressive it's not the way she is.I will fight tooth and nail for the girls,Im all they have to protect them.And if it means that this friend no longer comes over so be it.

I'm sorry, but I find a few things wrong with your statements. First of all your dog should not be deciding who it needs to protect you from. It is not up to the dog. Otherwise your dog may judge that you are in danger when you are not (as happened) and act inappropriately. If you feel like you need a dog for protection then you should be sure to train it accordingly. Protection dogs don't just fly off the handle, they are under the control of their owners.

Also, while you do need to protect your dogs, friends should feel like they can come to your house without the risk of being bit. Unless of course the "friend" is provoking the bite in which case who needs a "friend" like that.

Mmm no only when it comes to dogs..

No one can ever know everything about dogs. Or anything for that matter. There's always more to discover. Once someone thinks they know it all, they close themselves off to learning.

*LabLoverKEB*
04-30-2010, 06:46 PM
I appreciate how several of you backed me up on this, I really do. Thank you.:)

NO ONE knows EVERYTHING there is to know about dogs, or ANY subject for that matter. I actually know quite a bit about dogs, cats, psychology, and veterinary medicine, but I don't know it all. I know veterinarians who have taken their own animals to another veterinarian for answers. Same with animal trainers. Doesn't matter who you are or what education you have behind you, you don't know everything there is to know. Point blank. I am 19 years old as well, and I am getting my RVT license within the year. Even when I have my license, specialize in anesthesia, and am the head technician, I still will not know everything. I am using myself as an example, but this applies to everything, really.
It saddens me to see you snap at people so sharply.:(

caseysmom
04-30-2010, 06:49 PM
I appreciate how several of you backed me up on this, I really do. Thank you.:)

NO ONE knows EVERYTHING there is to know about dogs, or ANY subject for that matter. I actually know quite a bit about dogs, cats, psychology, and veterinary medicine, but I don't know it all. I know veterinarians who have taken their own animals to another veterinarian for answers. Same with animal trainers. Doesn't matter who you are or what education you have behind you, you don't know everything there is to know. Point blank. I am 19 years old as well, and I am getting my RVT license within the year. Even when I have my license, specialize in anesthesia, and am the head technician, I still will not know everything. I am using myself as an example, but this applies to everything, really.
It saddens me to see you snap at people so sharply.:(

That speaks volumes of what an education can do for a person, thanks for the very intelligent humble post.

Cinder & Smoke
04-30-2010, 07:00 PM
You said that a whole lot nicer then I would have ;)

THAT's fur sure!

Seems like it's time to suck on a Lolly-Pop or go talk to a Dawg ...
and try to stay out of Trouble.
:rolleyes:

buttercup132
04-30-2010, 07:17 PM
I wasnt trying to claim I know everything I was being sarcastic ;)
Obviously I dont know everything, there are things I know nothing about like genetics and bloodlines.

There are 2 people in the past little while I've snapped at and it's because their accusations were in my eyes crazy.

Lori Jordan
04-30-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm sorry, but I find a few things wrong with your statements. First of all your dog should not be deciding who it needs to protect you from. It is not up to the dog. Otherwise your dog may judge that you are in danger when you are not (as happened) and act inappropriately. If you feel like you need a dog for protection then you should be sure to train it accordingly. Protection dogs don't just fly off the handle, they are under the control of their owners.

Also, while you do need to protect your dogs, friends should feel like they can come to your house without the risk of being bit. Unless of course the "friend" is provoking the bite in which case who needs a "friend" like that.

No one can ever know everything about dogs. Or anything for that matter. There's always more to discover. Once someone thinks they know it all, they close themselves off to learning.

It has nothing to do with needing a dog to protect me,A big guy walks into your house grabs you and is dragging you out the door...Lacy acted on it.LIKE i mentioned neither of the dogs have acted that way with anyone else.SO obviously something has gone on for them to be acting that way.And other peoples dogs have bit him also.I don't let the dogs pick and choose who they can bite or act in such manner for that matter!

Maggy,Lacy and Molly are pets not junk yard dogs that are on duty for a reason,Im unsure where you got that idea.

As for my statment of protecting them,They do not have a voice,So if there being yelled at or frowned apon by someone else,They sure cant tell the person what they have done to them or why there acting like that,He was ignorant the way he told me how Maggy nipped him,I find it very funny how the girls have only acted that way towards one person.

Jamie had a friend that was at our place before we were home,He told him to go ahead in and make himself comfortable,All girls greeted him as he walked in the house,So to a burglar or someone who is up to no good,They would help them walk away with everything.
(I apologize for any confusion to my last post)Had a hard week and may have worded wrong)

king2005
05-01-2010, 01:49 AM

Pomtzu, PM me an update. I was wondering what happened & couldn't find the thread. Hope all is well, it WAS an important thread.

Do what I do.. Ignore her, tell her you don't want to converse with her. Works for me (so far). If she continues, block her.. if you can't see what she types, then she can't bother you ;)

***warning, non-popular opinion***If you comment on it, keep it CIVIL***
I know people aren't going to like my opinion on this dog (not talking about puppies) bitting matter, so please bear with me & don't hate/flame me too much. If a dog will bite randomly like that, its a dead dog. I have no tolerance for random bitting dogs. If there was a reason, then that is a totally different story. I also don't care what size the dog is, big or small.. Random bitting is random bitting, & random bitting = a trip to the rainbow bridge.

Lori Jordan
05-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Pomtzu, PM me an update. I was wondering what happened & couldn't find the thread. Hope all is well, it WAS an important thread.

Do what I do.. Ignore her, tell her you don't want to converse with her. Works for me (so far). If she continues, block her.. if you can't see what she types, then she can't bother you ;)

I know people aren't going to like my opinion on this dog (not talking about puppies) bitting matter, so please bear with me & don't hate/flame me too much. If a dog will bite randomly like that, its a dead dog. I have no tolerance for random bitting dogs. If there was a reason, then that is a totally different story. I also don't care what size the dog is, big or small.. Random bitting is random bitting, & random bitting = a trip to the rainbow bridge.

I strongly disagree with your statement.A random bite does not mean the dog is doomed,There is so many options before you would ever have to come to a decision like that!Every animal deserves a chance,It makes me sick to my stomach when a dog is given up on too easily,Which you have done in the past.Maybe not put them down but you have given up animals for no reason.

I don't know if that comment was towarded to me,Lacy and Maggy will not be put down because they nipped.I strongly believe Maggy was provoked,Maggy acts in no such manner anyother time.And she was not around when Lacy bit this friend,she was in the vet getting cared for.And for that matter Molly stood there when Lacy freaked out,and has not acted on it.

I have a behaviorlist that i have been dealing with since Lacy and Molly used to have there fights,And even she believes there has to be something about this friend.So we work with them to figure out what the problem is,looking for signs.By no means have they been given a lable.

buttercup132
05-01-2010, 12:59 PM

I actually agree with this, I dont care what breed but if a dog bites maliciously for no reason it's done. I wont put up with a dog biting.
I would do a blood test first though.

*LabLoverKEB*
05-01-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't necessarily agree, or disagree with Lori's opinion. I am indifferent.
Blood test for what? Rabies? Unfortunately there is no blood test for rabies.

king2005
05-01-2010, 05:18 PM
I strongly disagree with your statement.A random bite does not mean the dog is doomed,There is so many options before you would ever have to come to a decision like that!Every animal deserves a chance,It makes me sick to my stomach when a dog is given up on too easily,Which you have done in the past.Maybe not put them down but you have given up animals for no reason.
I understand your opinion, but "I" can't & wont risk anyones life/health with a random bitting dog, to me its irresponsible. If training works cool, but thats usually done while the dog is a puppy (0~3yrs of age).. if the dog is still doing random bitting after that, then the dog isn't trustworthy, sorry, its just my opinion on random bitting.

If your going to say things like that about me, you really should state what/who I gave up on?
Let me help you out..

All my pets:
Max (9yr old dog)- Murdered by my crazy mother. I'm not even going to go there, cause I will say something nasty.

Oscar (4yr old fish)- Spent 1k trying to save her, & put her down when all hope was lost. I tried!!!!

Jack (4yr old fish)- Jumped out of the tank, suffered a lot of brain damage & died a yr later. Doubt this one counts.

Sharkey (HUGE catfish)- Similar situation. He was a VERY powerful fish & suffered a lot of brain damage when he jumped out of the tank. There is so little you can do with some species of fish. I tried to find him a home but no one wants a fish that'll grow to 3' long.

Mango (4yr old fish)- Killed by a friend that was fish sitting him while I was homeless & living out of my car. I can't control what other people do. wish I could, but can't...

Cash (senior cat)- Had an eating distorter. I bought him medication, different foods, different feeding scheduals, & nothing was working. His disorder nearly killed Digi... I'm sorry. I'm not going to risk Digi's life. I tried my best with Cash, his stomach just couldn't handle the foods he had to be on in order to live in my house. I didn't throw him away, I gave him to a friend who Cat-sat for us. They loved each other so I gave cash to him... Cash is doing well on a type of food that can't be anywhere near Digi.

Gimpy (snake)- He was adopted. Last time I looked that was a good thing :P

Cockatiels - they were Adopted.

Digi (3yr dog)- Still have her & spend a fortune on vet bill due to her illness.

Cam (1yr cat)- Still have her

Lilly (4yr Tarantula)- Still have her

Axle (11yr Turtle)- Have had him since day one, & he's one heck of a handful!!

Realm (18yr turtle)- Had him for 2~3yrs now. great little guy.

Too many smaller fish & rescue fish to count, but some of my oldest ones are 7yrs old.

Mojo (1yr beta)- That was an accident. I still feel horrible he got sucked up by the filter. I wasn't thinking & I admit it was 100% my fault *cries*

Rats - Feeders.. uhhhh ya.. they were feeders.. enough said about them.

Cyriocosmus Perezmilesi (Bolivian Dwarf) spiderling - Got it less then a week ago. It'll be around for a good 20yrs (if its not a male) & I look forward to it.

Brachypelma Vagans (Mexican Redrump) spiderling - Got it less then a week ago. It'll be around for a good 20yrs (if its not a male) & I look forward to it.

I'm trying to think of any other pet I have owned in the last 10yrs (when I left the nest) but I can't seem to remember any more.. I really hope I didn't leave any out...

So I'm still not sure who/what you're talking about. I have run a mini Rescue since I was very young. I take in a lot of unwanted pets, or lost pets. I make sure they are healthy & when its time I adopt them out to loving homes. Some animals I get in I hope they'll become pets, but it doesn't always work out that way. Either someone wants it, I can't afford to keep it long term, or the species & I just don't mix. Oh & the odd time the landlord/super gets their say (annoying)... My current supers are great, they support what I do, so I can go over the legal limits & they don't care.

I don't know if that comment was towarded to me,Lacy and Maggy will not be put down because they nipped.I strongly believe Maggy was provoked,Maggy acts in no such manner anyother time.And she was not around when Lacy bit this friend,she was in the vet getting cared for.And for that matter Molly stood there when Lacy freaked out,and has not acted on it.
If I was directing anything towards you, I would have quoted you (like I am now) or directed it towards you by using your name.. I did neither of those, I actually quoted someone else.

Your dog was provoked, that is VERY clear, so its NOT random. Why you think I was directing anything towards you? I didn't quote you, I quoted someone else...

king2005
05-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Blood test for what? Rabies? Unfortunately there is no blood test for rabies.

If the dog is sick or has a brain tumor then something should show up in the book work (or I would hope so). If something shows up then its not random biting, the dog has a reason.. It's sick..

*LabLoverKEB*
05-01-2010, 05:42 PM
From what I've been taught, brain damage doesn't necessarily show up on blood work, but signs of neurological damage would be present.... But I'm not sure.

king2005
05-01-2010, 06:06 PM
From what I've been taught, brain damage doesn't necessarily show up on blood work, but signs of neurological damage would be present.... But I'm not sure.

Hmmm... if the dog was dropped on its head & suffered brain damage I have no idea if that would show up in blood work.. but I always thought Cancer & Tumors changed something in the blood so it would alert to an issue of some sort.
Can you even check for neurological issues with dogs? I don't know how its done with people, so I'm totally clueless :P

*LabLoverKEB*
05-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Well yes, cancer would definitely show up in blood work!! In order to properly diagnose a brain tumor, you would have to have an MRI (magnetic response imagine) done. Oh yeah, you can check for neurological damage in most animals. There are tests that pertain to the animal's reflexes. The most common ways for a veterinarian to diagnose a neurological problem in animals is by observing their mental state, examining the animal's cranial nerves, postural reflexes (the way the animal responds to how you restrict their balance), radiology (looking for spinal trauma), and from looking at my notes, bloodwork is a diagnostic tool to!
:)

king2005
05-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Well yes, cancer would definitely show up in blood work!! In order to properly diagnose a brain tumor, you would have to have an MRI (magnetic response imagine) done. Oh yeah, you can check for neurological damage in most animals. There are tests that pertain to the animal's reflexes. The most common ways for a veterinarian to diagnose a neurological problem in animals is by observing their mental state, examining the animal's cranial nerves, postural reflexes (the way the animal responds to how you restrict their balance), radiology (looking for spinal trauma), and from looking at my notes, bloodwork is a diagnostic tool to!
:)

Thats pretty cool! :D

buttercup132
05-01-2010, 08:57 PM
No but thyroid problems can cause aggression and that shows in blood test.
If there was brain damage there would be other signs, it doesn't just show up. Of course not everyone would notice though especially people who dont pay attention to their dogs or have outside dogs.

Pawsitive Thinking
05-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Just wondering how the original poster is doing.........no repercussions from the bite I hope :love:

Sirrahsim
05-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Still alive and kicking:D

Cinder & Smoke
05-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Still alive and kicking :D

YOU or the Dawg ??

:p

Sirrahsim
05-06-2010, 04:39 AM
The dog of course, didn't you know that the afterlife has DSL:D:D

Pawsitive Thinking
05-06-2010, 07:41 AM
The dog of course, didn't you know that the afterlife has DSL:D:D

Lol! yep! you're ok :D

Cinder & Smoke
05-06-2010, 09:05 AM
didn't you know that the afterlife has DSL:D:D

Oh, GREAT! :p

I'm "there" already! :eek:

Cataholic
05-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Your theory is bull , why not do some research on dogs and dog psychology.

There could be a lot of reasons as to why you were bit but without knowing the dog and being there no one will be able to answer your question.
It could have been something you did that you were totally oblivious to but set the dog off.

LOL, I didn't even see your response until just now. Thanks to my pals for sticking up for me.

The irony of it is- you completely support my theory, "all dogs bite, it is just a matter of when" when you say,

That is exactly my point! We are humans, they are dogs, we speak different languages, and we do not know- often times- what sets them off and causes a reaction, like biting.

Read, think, breathe, and read again before you spout off.

bckrazy
05-08-2010, 06:14 PM

What do you classify as a "random bitting dog"? The Collie that nipped a stranger? There could be a number of factors contributing to that situation, making it FAR FROM a "random bitting". Take into account that people herding is a very common issue with herding dogs. Also, that these dogs tend to be aloof if not fearful toward strangers. He could be a perfectly nice dog... who is definitely being poorly handled (if the girl even allowed him room to touch a stranger period), who might have been spooked by a stranger standing in between a car door.

The thing that really stands out to me is the fact that the dog didn't flip out, bark, growl, snarl, or lunge for the OP's face. He quietly nipped the back of her knee. That is classic herding behavior. That is totally unfair to the OP... and I completely feel for her. But to say a dog like that deserves to die? Many herding dogs cope with their stress/fear issues by herding. Gonzo does it. He hasn't made anyone bleed or left a mark, but if a stranger scares him and is moving irradically, he will nip at their feet. It's terrible that the OP bled, but to me a dog who will nip cowardicely is not even comparable to a dog who will take a chunk out of some one. ALL this dog really needs is to be properly controlled and desensitized to people walking by him, if he has the issues that it sounds like he has. I think it's arrogant and just plain inhuman to sentence a dog to death for being afraid and irresponsibly handled.

My point is, what may seem completely random to you, probably does have a good reason behind it and probably did come with a warning. There are a few dogs out there who aren't wired right, and a lot of dogs who are either badly bred or badly handled and trained or a combination of the two. I agree that a dog who bites unprovoked is dangerous; however, it sounds like this wasn't the first time he's done this, and that he's a fearful dog whose owners deal with it by muzzling him and don't even stop to check if the people he bites are ok. To me, this is an owner issue, not a dog issue.

As for what makes dogs bite... for me, it's about being as calm, predictable and non-threatening as possible. I work at a dog daycare and I have never been bitten. Everyone else has, even if it's just nips from herding dogs, who do that ALL THE TIME, perfectly friendly dogs who have trouble controlling their instinct. There's this one BC mix who has nipped everyone's butt repeatedly except for mine - everyone who steps into a playroom with her. I think I've just adjusted myself to moving in a non-livestock-like manner or something, with Gonzo. :p Gonzo has never herded me either. You can tell a lot from a dog's eyes. If they are staring at you like you're prey, or livestock, you need to do something to snap them out of it and/or be a completely unexciting statue. Body language is also huge. If a dog is tensing up, something needs to break that tension. I tend to "Shhh" (not in a Cesar Millan way), crouch down and turn my body sideways to a really stressed out dog. It calms them right down.

king2005
05-12-2010, 01:51 PM
What do you classify as a "random bitting dog"? The Collie that nipped a stranger?

I think you answered your own question. I'm talking about "bitting" NOT "nipping". BIG difference. So I wont respond to the rest of your post.

My Peanuts
05-12-2010, 02:15 PM
My chihuahua, Walter is insane. He will literally kiss me one minute and full on bite me the next. He is a puppy mill rescue and has mental issues from it. I know it's bad, but I don't do much about it. After the mill, we had several teeth removed and even if he gets you it's not that bad. Anyone that handles him, knows his ways and at 7 lbs, he's not too much of a threat.

So to answer your question about why they bite, I clearly have no clue! :D

Personally, I wouldn't let Walter get that close to a stanger if I thought he'd nip.

My Peanuts
05-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Oh and BTW, I'm not about to send my severely abused 7 lb puppy mill rescue that was SO abused I taught him how to use his back legs at 6 years old because the cage he lived in was so small that had burns on his feet/body from laying in urine to the rainbow bridge for biting. And yes, he completely full on bites me at times.

This isn't a flame, but that is just ridiculous!

king2005
05-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Oh and BTW, I'm not about to send my severely abused 7 lb puppy mill rescue that was SO abused I taught him how to use his back legs at 6 years old because the cage he lived in was so small that had burns on his feet/body from laying in urine to the rainbow bridge for biting. And yes, he completely full on bites me at times.

This isn't a flame, but that is just ridiculous!

Does he draw blood when he bites? or does it just hurt?
If there is no blood, thats just a nip IMO... I'm talking about a bite, where the teeth sink into your skin & cause you to bleed. Besides your dogs seems to have a reason to bite, Abuse... so thats still not the kind of dog I'm talking about...

My Peanuts
05-12-2010, 04:35 PM
Does he draw blood when he bites? or does it just hurt?
If there is no blood, thats just a nip IMO... I'm talking about a bite, where the teeth sink into your skin & cause you to bleed. Besides your dogs seems to have a reason to bite, Abuse... so thats still not the kind of dog I'm talking about...

Normally, he does not draw blood, but it's not for lack of trying, his teeth are limited.

Also, please don't get the wrong idea about him. 99% of his day, he snuggles and plays, but when he wakes up in the morning he bites. I get bit everyday, then he snaps out of it and lovess me again.

I do agree with you but to a MUCH lesser extent. For example, some dog fighting dogs can't be rehabilitated and the best thing is euthanasia. For me, it has to be an extreme situation where normal training and evaluations failed.

caseysmom
05-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Thats interesting. I often wondered why dogs that have biting issues don't just have teeth removed.

Thank your for being understanding of Walter. My casey was formerly abused also and I have to watch for her signals for sure....

buttercup132
05-12-2010, 06:47 PM
LOL, I didn't even see your response until just now. Thanks to my pals for sticking up for me.

The irony of it is- you completely support my theory, "all dogs bite, it is just a matter of when" when you say,

That is exactly my point! We are humans, they are dogs, we speak different languages, and we do not know- often times- what sets them off and causes a reaction, like biting.

Read, think, breathe, and read again before you spout off.Maybe I should have explained better then, not every dog has things that set them off. Dog with traumatic past, poor breeding etc are the ones who you dont know what could set them off, usually still you have some idea that your dog is like that. It's not your dog is happy and healthy half its life then bites because it saw someone dressed in black.
Also dogs who have no structure in their life (which is A LOT of dogs now a days) will bite to defend themselves because their owner is under them and they cant trust their owner.

My Peanuts
05-13-2010, 08:13 AM
Thats interesting. I often wondered why dogs that have biting issues don't just have teeth removed.

Thank your for being understanding of Walter. My casey was formerly abused also and I have to watch for her signals for sure....

Walter is my little man and I love him to death. He needs a mom like me to spoil him after what happened to him at that puppy mill. I owe him the best possible life I can give him.

BTW, we didn't have his teeth removed cause he bites. They were so rotten from the poor diet at the mill. The vet would barely touch them and they would bleed. He had 13 removed in March 2009. He has none, top or bottom, from K9 to K9. He was at the vet yesterday and it looks likehe's going again to have more removed soon.

My Peanuts
05-13-2010, 08:19 AM
QUOTE=buttercup132;2263550]
Also dogs who have no structure in their life (which is A LOT of dogs now a days) will bite to defend themselves because their owner is under them and they cant trust their owner.[/QUOTE]

I don't think this was aimed at me but I wanted to comment. Walter has structure, but we aren't very strict with him. He is 7lbs and the cage he lived in for 6 straight years was so tiny that his legs never devolped correctly. HOW SMALL WAS THAT CAGE! :mad: I don't want to know.

If that was me, I would have mental issues for sure. Walter gets away with more than the other dogs for sure, but it's not like I let him run wild.

(also, just wanted to comment-next time anyone is thinking about buying a dog from a pet shop, please think about Walter and all he lived through. The parents of that puppy are more than likely in a tiny cage, with burns on their feet, eating garbage)

In case you want to put a face to a name, Walter is the black guy in the middle. The other 2 are 2 of his 3 brothers. Billy is the brown Min Pin and Willy is the black and white Fox Terrier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Jejsdian/l_f226dde0b769463991a550ed0e010124.jpg

Pawsitive Thinking
05-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Personally, I wouldn't let Walter get that close to a stanger if I thought he'd nip

That is the sentence that matters here IMO. You know your dog and wouldn't put him or others in a potential biting situation. How you deal with him in your own home is entirely up to you :)

My Peanuts
05-13-2010, 11:06 AM
That is the sentence that matters here IMO. You know your dog and wouldn't put him or others in a potential biting situation. How you deal with him in your own home is entirely up to you :)

Yep, that's exactly it. The only people I let handle him are my husband, my mom, dad, brother and me on a regular basis. He's usually easy to read and you know when he might strike. I NEVER let strangers touch him and even my close friends don't pick him up. It's the way it has to be and he gets plenty of snuggles from his momma!

Cataholic
05-13-2010, 12:25 PM
My Peanuts, I have tears in my eyes reading your post of Walter. I didn't know this horrible story about him. Bless you a million times over for taking him in and loving him to pieces. He deserves you, and you him, I am sure. :love:

Daisy and Delilah
05-13-2010, 02:09 PM
My Peanuts, I have tears in my eyes reading your post of Walter. I didn't know this horrible story about him. Bless you a million times over for taking him in and loving him to pieces. He deserves you, and you him, I am sure. :love:

I agree 100%!! He is adorable!!:)

My Peanuts
05-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys! You don't need to thank me for loving Walter. Despite his biting issues, which are only about 1% of his day, I dare anyone that meets him not to love him! He really is mostly a good boy. :D

Cataholic
05-13-2010, 03:25 PM
I didn't mean it like that, Peanuts! I just meant that you are special person for taking in such a tail of a dog and loving him to pieces!!! Not that no one else would love him. :love:

My Peanuts
05-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I didn't mean it like that, Peanuts! I just meant that you are special person for taking in such a tail of a dog and loving him to pieces!!! Not that no one else would love him. :love:

Oh I know! :D

dab_20
05-13-2010, 04:32 PM
My Peanuts, there needs to be more people like you. Like many of the people here on Pet Talk! So many animals have horrific lives in these puppy mills, or any neglectful or abusive homes, only to be saved from them and put to sleep. All living things deserve to have a happy and fulfilled life.... and it breaks my heart to know how many thousands of animals out there with no one who loves are cares for them.... how many will never know what it is to have a loving home.

Bless those who take in these poor animals and let them live out the rest of their lives in happiness :love:

bckrazy
05-13-2010, 06:46 PM
I think you answered your own question. I'm talking about "bitting" NOT "nipping". BIG difference. So I wont respond to the rest of your post.

Were you not saying that you would PTS that Collie?

The OP didn't even know she was nipped... she had to check. Not that it's totally horrible that she had to go through that for just standing there, but the dog didn't take a chunk out of her. Nipping can lead to a little bleeding, maybe a scratch or two, but the difference between a nip that leaves no mark and a nip that causes bleeding can come down to something as simple as not being taught good bite inhibition as a puppy. My point was, this dog didn't just race up to a family member and attack them. He nipped a stranger that was in a kind of unusual situation, because his owner gave him the slack to and probably because he is a fearful dog; I wouldn't consider that a random biting dog.

buttercup132
05-14-2010, 12:50 PM
QUOTE=buttercup132;2263550]
Also dogs who have no structure in their life (which is A LOT of dogs now a days) will bite to defend themselves because their owner is under them and they cant trust their owner.

I don't think this was aimed at me but I wanted to comment. Walter has structure, but we aren't very strict with him. He is 7lbs and the cage he lived in for 6 straight years was so tiny that his legs never devolped correctly. HOW SMALL WAS THAT CAGE! :mad: I don't want to know.

If that was me, I would have mental issues for sure. Walter gets away with more than the other dogs for sure, but it's not like I let him run wild.

(also, just wanted to comment-next time anyone is thinking about buying a dog from a pet shop, please think about Walter and all he lived through. The parents of that puppy are more than likely in a tiny cage, with burns on their feet, eating garbage)

In case you want to put a face to a name, Walter is the black guy in the middle. The other 2 are 2 of his 3 brothers. Billy is the brown Min Pin and Willy is the black and white Fox Terrier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Jejsdian/l_f226dde0b769463991a550ed0e010124.jpg[/QUOTE]
You just said he gets away with a lot so no he doesn't have structure.
If he had teeth that would be a mess to each your own but just because he has no teeth doesnt mean it's right.

Erica there is no point, you know how she is from years ago there is no getting through to her. She put you on her ignore list or say she wishes to not answer that :rolleyes:

My Peanuts
05-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Erica there is no point, you know how she is from years ago there is no getting through to her. She put you on her ignore list or say she wishes to not answer that :rolleyes:
Is this aimed at me? Did I do something to you? At 1st I thought it was, but for the most part, I've been sweet to people on here for years unless they say something terribly off base and crazy. Even in my responses here, I've kept things pleasant.

You just said he gets away with a lot so no he doesn't have structure.
If he had teeth that would be a mess to each your own but just because he has no teeth doesnt mean it's right.

1st of all Walter has structure. There are certain things he cannot handle, crates and yelling are 2 he freaks out about. So bad that he actually will lose control of his urine and pee where he stands. He is TERRIFIED and I refuse to put him through any stress that isn't completely needed. I do let him get away with a few things because of his past that I do not let the other dogs get away with.

For example, since he was 6 years old, and never potty trained, I use positive reinforcement to train him to go on a puppy pad. I would not let the other dogs do that, and if the others pee in the house they get yelled at and immediately go outside. That just won't work for Walter.

It's amazing how a blanket statement like, 'he doesn't have structure' can just be thrown out when one literally has no specific details on the situation.

caseysmom
05-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Is this aimed at me? Did I do something to you? At 1st I thought it was, but for the most part, I've been sweet to people on here for years unless they say something terribly off base and crazy. Even in my responses here, I've kept things pleasant.

1st of all Walter has structure. There are certain things he cannot handle, crates and yelling are 2 he freaks out about. So bad that he actually will lose control of his urine and pee where he stands. He is TERRIFIED and I refuse to put him through any stress that isn't completely needed. I do let him get away with a few things because of his past that I do not let the other dogs get away with.

For example, since he was 6 years old, and never potty trained, I use positive reinforcement to train him to go on a puppy pad. I would not let the other dogs do that, and if the others pee in the house they get yelled at and immediately go outside. That just won't work for Walter.

It's amazing how a blanket statement like, 'he doesn't have structure' can just be thrown out when one literally has no specific details on the situation.

Let it go...I would take those insults with grain of salt. They are ignore worthy.

pomtzu
05-14-2010, 04:37 PM
Let it go...I would take those insults with grain of salt. They are ignore worthy.

Agreed. BC talks down to everybody! :mad:

buttercup132
05-14-2010, 05:07 PM

It's amazing how a blanket statement like, 'he doesn't have structure' can just be thrown out when one literally has no specific details on the situation.No it wasn't to you it was about King, I dont even know if thats her user name anymore.

Letting him go on a pee pad isn't something I would consider letting him get away with, I mean like eating off your plate while you are eating and letting him. That kind of getting away with things.

Pomtzu no actually I'm not just people who assume dogs are aggressive when they aren't.

There are people who were on here way before you who can testify to that, like Erica ;) of course most people have left who were on when I was.

bckrazy
05-14-2010, 06:22 PM
I have to agree with Buttercup... PT is very different, with very different members. I remember when I used to learn something new every time I came here. It was such a source of knowledge and information for me. I'm not saying that it isn't anymore, but dangerous/ignorant/hateful advice and threads about how irresponsibly owned dogs should die just hurts my heart. And when people try to talk some sense (like in Pomtzu's loose dog thread) they're called names and/or the thread is deleted because it becomes clear who is speaking from an educated viewpoint.

Let me just say, that King was not too popular years ago because of her kill-first-ask-questions-later feelings toward all sorts of animals. :(

king2005
05-14-2010, 06:23 PM
No it wasn't to you it was about King, I dont even know if thats her user name anymore.

Me?

Also who's Erica?

Just so I can understand whats going on lol :p

buttercup132
05-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Erica is bckrazy...

And yes you.

Thank you Erica, I may not say it in the nicest way but after leaving PT I moved onto much better things and learned a lot more then you could learn here.

Go try joining some other dog forums, you will get shot down pretty fast with the way you guys think.

king2005
05-14-2010, 08:13 PM
EDIT: Off topic so out of respect I removed what I said...

king2005
05-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Maybe I should have explained better then, not every dog has things that set them off. Dog with traumatic past, poor breeding etc are the ones who you dont know what could set them off, usually still you have some idea that your dog is like that. It's not your dog is happy and healthy half its life then bites because it saw someone dressed in black.

Missed this post.. oops...

Totally agree... Thats mostly the kind of random bitting I'm talking about.. Bitting for no reason at all... Poor breeding (puppy mills are very much to blame for this, not 100% of course) really does mess up a dogs brain & the dog can be so unpredictable its both dangerous for themselves & anything else in their path.

Also agree with the lack of structure... Same goes for humans too...

Here is one of my Dad's fav stories to tell us (I've been hearing them non-stop for weeks now, as my sister is preg & he wants us to raise our kids properly... no I don't have any.. they will happen soon :eek:).

My sister & I were well behaved kids 90% of the time as we had a solid structure created by our folks (mostly dad). Susan's kids were wild psycho kids & Susan screamed at them all the time & they never obeyed. My dad refused to visit & I hated it too as it was horrible!! Dad loved to babysite the 2 boys as they were very well behaved for him, as he gave them structure, so they knew how to behave & we all got a long great. The second Susan would walk into the house to pick them up, the yelling would start & the kids would be wild again. After that, dad always had them ready outside for them to get into her van so they could be wild in there & not in our house... This also happened with several other neighbours kids Dad babysat for.

dab_20
05-15-2010, 12:44 AM
i have to agree with buttercup... Pt is very different, with very different members. I remember when i used to learn something new every time i came here. It was such a source of knowledge and information for me. I'm not saying that it isn't anymore, but dangerous/ignorant/hateful advice and threads about how irresponsibly owned dogs should die just hurts my heart. And when people try to talk some sense (like in pomtzu's loose dog thread) they're called names and/or the thread is deleted because it becomes clear who is speaking from an educated viewpoint.

+1

pomtzu
05-15-2010, 06:48 AM
And when people try to talk some sense (like in Pomtzu's loose dog thread) they're called names and/or the thread is deleted because it becomes clear who is speaking from an educated viewpoint.

(

Yes - I deleted that thread. Why??? - because it had served it's purpose and it became clear to me, that it was now only attracting the pot-stirrers. Most people posted very sensible comments and suggestions, but there were those bad apples whose only purpose was to try to cause trouble. As far as the educated viewpoint??? - can't say that there were any from those who wanted an argument. They apparently think their word is gospel, however, they need to put a sock in it until they can walk in my shoes and can personally view the situation at hand.

buttercup132
05-15-2010, 01:28 PM
I thought people hated me because I raised feeder mice/rats for personal use. People were also livid with me becuase I didn't want to "buy" my feeders from a pet store... & because some of my pets eat them live. Now a days, people understand it, so I don't get flamed for it.

I know I'm still hated cause I support the Seal Hunt, but I'm against the law breakers OF the Seal Hunt that allow suffering to happen during it. Suffering IS illegal.. most just don't know that.

People also hated me because I had guns (I'm the devil or something, can't remember what the person called me.. its been so long), Even though I have never gone hunting. Which I also support & want to take part in.

In this post some assumed I meant that all nipping/bitting dogs should die... I tried to explain that bitting for a reason isn't a reason to kill a dog. But random bitting is, which is really hard to explain in text.. Too many think in black & white & assume what I said is only in black & white.. They forget the grey :(

Remember that expressing how you feel/think in text is hard... its so easy to word something incorrectly, or say something that has a double meaning.. esp when you're dyslexic(me), or your first language isn't English(also me).

anyways... I'll leave this thread alone..
And because of the Rotti and little dog you adopted then had pts.

And people werent mad at you for raising feeder mice..it was the fact that you treated them like pets that was the sick part.

Pomtzu does it makes you feel good that you come to any thread I post in and say I put everyone down.
Are you jealous that I have more knowledge when it comes to dogs?

Taz_Zoee
05-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Pomtzu does it makes you feel good that you come to any thread I post in and say I put everyone down.

Please, just stop. You mentioned how you left PT and moved on to "better" things. Then why must you still come back and cause problems?

It's sad really. I enjoyed seeing your animals, but now I am afraid to read your posts because I just know it's going to start some drama. :(

Daisy and Delilah
05-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Please, just stop. You mentioned how you left PT and moved on to "better" things. Then why must you still come back and cause problems?

It's sad really. I enjoyed seeing your animals, but now I am afraid to read your posts because I just know it's going to start some drama. :(

I agree. It seems that BC only shows up when there is a possible controversy she can get into. If you don't like this board, move away from it 100%.

I wish I knew half as much about anything as you think you know about dogs. You never change. Your arrogance never waivers and your desire to argue never waivers.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.:confused: :confused: :confused:

buttercup132
05-15-2010, 02:28 PM

I dont come back to cause problems not my fault people dont agree with what I say even if it is right.

pomtzu
05-15-2010, 02:38 PM

If the shoe fits BC - then wear it. I guess it's comparable to your uncalled for comments in my thread - right???

It doesn't make me feel good to discredit anyone, and that's not the intention here. I just get tired of the know-it-alls sitting on their lofty throne and slinging crap at others who they feel are below them.

And me - jealous of you - for any reason - is totally ludicrous and laughable at the same time. And there you go again, saying you have more knowledge of dogs than I do??? And just what do you base that statement on??? Putting me down, are you??? Sure looks that way........

king2005
05-15-2010, 02:49 PM
And because of the Rotti and little dog you adopted then had pts.
For the LAST TIME, they were NOT MY DOGS!!!!! I had no say in their fates
Besides, the hate started MANY years before them, & I still have no idea where Bear(rottie) IS!! Like I said, NOT my dogs!

EDIT:
& if you had been paying ANY attention to the THS & the posts I had about the the little dog, then you WOULD KNOW THAT THE LITTLE DOG WASN'T PUT DOWN!!!!

You claim to be educated, but you put blame where it doesn't belong. You should KNOW the Canadian Laws, & you should KNOW, I had no Rights in either of those Dogs fates. Maybe your not as educated as you think you are.

And people werent mad at you for raising feeder mice..it was the fact that you treated them like pets that was the sick part.

They were mad at me for raising feeder Rats. I'm the one that got the hate mail about feeders & having predator pets.

The adults were cared for with Respect & NEVER became feeders! Some of the adults were more then breeders, they were pets. I didn't raise the babies as pets, as they weren't.. they were feeders, but I raised them with respect, like they deserved.. Just like our Cows, chickens & Pigs deserve! I refuse to lower myself like those farmers do, they are in it for the $$ only & have no issues pumping their livestock full of chemicals.. or allowing their live stock to walk on broken legs or sore feet.. I did my best to keep the feeders healthy & sane... There is no reason they should live in sheer terror & hell before becoming a meal.

I still believe in that too!

Taz_Zoee
05-15-2010, 03:44 PM
I dont come back to cause problems not my fault people dont agree with what I say even if it is right.

I'm not saying you are right or wrong in your posts. The problem I have with your knowledge is how you deliver it. You always put the person down and speak rudely toward them. Like in this thread. Of course you went back and changed the original rude post.
You want people to respect you and your information you want to share, yet you can't respect other peoples opinions or comments.

Whisk_Luva
05-15-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm not saying you are right or wrong in your posts. The problem I have with your knowledge is how you deliver it. You always put the person down and speak rudely toward them. Like in this thread. Of course you went back and changed the original rude post.
You want people to respect you and your information you want to share, yet you can't respect other peoples opinions or comments.

I agree 100%...

BC, you can't expect someone to listen to you if you are just going to be rude to them...

*LabLoverKEB*
05-15-2010, 07:46 PM

AMEN!
You say you know everything about dogs. Well that's not true. You don't know everything, you probably don't realize how much you don't know! No one knows everything about anything!
Like Cindy said, it's how you deliver it. You constantly put people down, and that is wrong.
I've said before I don't like to get into these conflicts, but I've seen the effects of your posts....

caseysmom
05-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Having knowledge of dogs won't do any good if you have no people skills. People are the ones taking care of the dogs, if you have no skills to communicate with people you won't be helping any other dogs than your own.

Alysser
05-15-2010, 10:04 PM

Wow, this thread has gotten way off track since I first read it. But this post is plain ignorance. You mentioned people don't agree with you even it it is right, but all your posts are based on opinions. Who are you to judge the "structure" of a dog's life that you don't even know over the internet? and Who are you to say you know more about dogs than someone else you don't even know?? We all have different ways of training and living with dogs, and we all share opinions - but they are just that, OPINIONS. None of it is right or wrong. What works for you might not work for someone else. There are ways of teaching people without coming off as being rude.

You will not always be "right" in someone else's opinion and you don't know everything about dogs. You may know a decent amount but you don't know everything. Saying that just makes you look ignorant...

Oh and sorry if my dog PLAY bites hard that I'm not going to put him to sleep for it..that's way to radical in my opinion. Biting is different in every situation and with every dog. Biting isn't something to ignore, no, but it's not something to get totally crazy over the first time it happens. Biting isn't just biting, it's different in all cases. You can have a play bite, which my dog happens to do quite often and it does hurt, but he doesn't do it out of harm and he's easy to control and does know when to stop. You can have fear biting, aggression, etc. I think there are alternatives rather than putting a dog to sleep right away, I think that's a little to harsh unless it escalates much worse.

king2005
05-15-2010, 10:04 PM
having knowledge of dogs won't do any good if you have no people skills. People are the ones taking care of the dogs, if you have no skills to communicate with people you won't be helping any other dogs than your own.

+1

dab_20
05-15-2010, 10:05 PM
I think we all have disagreements, but I think when coming to disagreements we should all be civil towards one another. (not directed at anyone specifically)
I've been following this thread and I think it's gotten a bit out of hand.... it's gotten to be way different then the thread originally started. I think if anyone has a problem with anyone else, PM each other or possibly block one another. No reason to get into useless bantering back and forth. I think many of us have said what needs to be said and the rest should be in PM, rather than taking over the OP.
:) Pet Talk is a friendly place meant to enjoy each other and our pets and to learn. Let's keep it this way.

MonicanHonda
05-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Buttercup, obviously you don't know everything... because you definitely don't know how to deal with the owners of dogs... which you will realize is a very important aspect of knowing about dogs. No one wants your help when they can't stand you. But good for you, thinking you know everything. I'm glad you have that much confidence in yourself.

EDITED TO ADD: I agree dab_20... I clicked on this post last night and was surprised by the responses... totally different than the topic.

caseysmom
05-15-2010, 10:16 PM
+1

I have terrible People Skills online (my thought process & typing don't mix well), not as bad as BC though, I'm not one to attack. But when I do my educational Speeches for the Rescue, I know how to draw a crowd & I can keep them there for my 10+ min speech. Then I start all over & keep repeating my self for 8hrs... My voice is mostly gone for the last 2 hrs, but even then I still have large crowds around me listening my dead voice lol :)

I think you usually come off pretty level headed.

king2005
05-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Caseysmom, Thanks. I try to remain civil, even when I know my opinion isn't the norm, & might be right (to me anyways).

Agreed, sorry.. I edited my off topic posts... Will go through this thread to make sure I didn't miss any tomorrow

Taz_Zoee
05-16-2010, 11:41 AM
I think we all have disagreements, but I think when coming to disagreements we should all be civil towards one another. (not directed at anyone specifically)
I've been following this thread and I think it's gotten a bit out of hand.... it's gotten to be way different then the thread originally started. I think if anyone has a problem with anyone else, PM each other or possibly block one another. No reason to get into useless bantering back and forth. I think many of us have said what needs to be said and the rest should be in PM, rather than taking over the OP.
:) Pet Talk is a friendly place meant to enjoy each other and our pets and to learn. Let's keep it this way.

Agreed. I apologize for getting off topic. And I'm finished. :)

My Peanuts
05-17-2010, 09:29 AM
No it wasn't to you it was about King, I dont even know if thats her user name anymore.

Letting him go on a pee pad isn't something I would consider letting him get away with, I mean like eating off your plate while you are eating and letting him. That kind of getting away with things.

Oh good! I know we've had our differences but I actually went through my posts from years ago looking for something that would warrant that. The last one I found, I was actually defending you. I was totally confused. Sorry about that.

So, about the puppy pad stuff, I would not intentionally train the other dogs to do that. To me, letting him pee on it, is getting away with stuff, but I see what you mean. Basically, I let him do his biting in the morning, because it's almost like it's not him in his body. He gets a blank stare almost like he doesn't know where he is. It wears off in no longer than 10 min. I ONLY do positive reinforcement with him because of his past, so there really isn't a way to correct it. If this was a bigger issue and he bit a lot, then I would have to yell or make loud noises to correct it.

Also, BC, I don't know you personally, but sometimes I think your advice is genuine, but maybe the way it's delivered is the problem. I can't tell you how many IM or text fights my husband and I get into because tone doesn't transfer through text. When we call each other or get home we laugh because we were actually agreeing! :p

Vette
05-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Or rather simply put;

opinions are like buttholes. everyone has one.

as for the present topic of WHAT MAKES A DOG BITE i really have no clue. i guess it depends on the dog an the situation/s.
but glad to hear it wasnt a very serious bite none of the less. *hugs*

My Peanuts
05-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Somehow I find this funny, but I'm sitting downstairs reading through posts and I can hear my hubby upstairs in bed with Walter calming him down cause he's having a freak out. It happens, and I think he’s entitled to do so!

Here's the thing, you can't say it's not ok to put Walter down cause of his puppy mill horror, but it is ok for another dog. They ALL have reasons for what they do and we can't possibly know why.

Unless a dog is a SERIOUS threat to a human, then just simply PTS is not an option. On a much lesser note, it's like saying my car broke down once, have it crushed. I mean seriously, they are not objects they are not just things! They have feelings, emotions, good and bad days.

And again, I get that a lot of people on here have 'their' breeds. If you are thinking about buying from a pet store, PLEASE remember what I've said about Walter. His life was APPALLING. If you love your breed, go to a rescue (who usually have puppies) or to a breeder that truly wants to better the breed and did the appropriate genetic testing. If all else fails, come to ME! Give me a couple months and I WILL find the dog for you within a 50 mile radius. I try not to preach, but awareness is the only way. You will love a rescue pup just as much!

Sirrahsim
05-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Who knew that a little chomp from a pooch could turn into so much craziness??:confused::D:eek:

dab_20
05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Who knew that a little chomp from a pooch could turn into so much craziness??:confused::D:eek:

Hehe who knew??