PDA

View Full Version : my attempt at helping someone with their cat.....

carole
04-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Ok let me tell you my story, i belong to another NZ website for entering competitions, i do this regularly every week without fail, i am slightly addicted to entering comps and i win quite a few things,anyhow they have other forums on there, like general chat, and swap prizes, and freebies, what websites to go for free samples etc.

So I go in there and see FREE KITTENS, and i read the post, this is the third litter this cat has had, so having said nothing before i see red, and decide to have my say, telling her to take more responsibility and get her cat spayed, also offering her information on cheap spaying etc.,and i was not rude about it, just to the point and stating facts.

She takes it on board and does not say much, but one poster gives me heaps, telling me to leave her alone, stop interfering, shut up and stop being immature and pathetic, talk about laughable, however i just take it with a grain of salt and let them think it does not bother me one little bit, but of course it does, another poster says well said to this comment, i was upset and could understand how young ones end up committing suicide from what people write about them on the net, not that i felt like that,but it does get to you when you are only trying to help.

Anyhow long story cut short, i offer a free voucher of cat food i have to another poster, who does not respond, but the girl who owns the cat and kitten does, i tell her I have given it away which i had to the cat shelter,and then i decide i am going to offer her half the cost of spaying the cat,which is only 25 dollars each, sure i should not really, i can least afford to do it, but i just cannot stand by knowing about this cat and not trying to do something, so many people on PT help each other, and i can never do much being over here, so i figure i can help someone in my own country.

Initially i offered to send her the money and she gratefully accepted saying she was trustworthy etc, but i contacted the cats protection league in wellington, she lives a long way away from me, bottom of north island, and they are more than happy to accept a cheque from me for her, so when she calls in they will then cash my cheque and only then,this way it guarantees me my money is being used soley for the purpose it is intended to spay the cat, so far after telling her she has not responded, but i am wondering if she will, what you think? fingers and all paws crossed she does, as i desperately want to help this one kitty, you cannot help them all,but even one is a blessing isn't it?

Taz_Zoee
04-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Well, I hope she responds. Because if she doesn't then she's not as trustworthy as she states she is.

Good for you for trying to help this kitty. :)

moosmom
04-21-2010, 08:30 PM
You did a good thing, Carole. To guarantee that the kitties get fixed, I'd send the check to the vet, not to her. You don't know her and she could spend it on anything she wants and not spend it on what it was intended for.

Just my take on things. That other idiot that was telling you to shut up?? Tell them to mine their own business. Better yet, it's not worth your time, air or space in your head.

You are a saint, girl. There should be more people like you out there.

Hugs,

Donna

carole
04-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Well so far no response and i see she is online, so i am figuring she won't pm me, but i am not giving up yet, just hoping she gets around to it, but yeah she was very keen to accept my help when i was going to send her the money, now nothing, but i could be wrong, and i hope so, otherwise this kitty is not going to be helped and there is nothing i can do about it.

Honestly i wish i could do more in this world Donna, but i try when i can, and you know you guys are the people who made me this way, and i thank each and every one of you for opening my eyes and making me want to do something,it is so easy just to say it is someone else's responsibility, yeah of course it is her's i know ,but if helping cover the costs makes her go ahead with the spaying, well that is what matters here, it is one kitty that won't continue adding to the over -population problem,she was considering giving the mama cat away, i was horrified and asked her why, she said because she was peeing everywhere, so i then gave her some advice that about UTI'S stress etc, which most of it i have learned from being here on PT, then she said she was not going to , was just having a hard day, well i sure hope so.
well one can only but try can't we? fingers and paws crossed i hear from her.:)

pomtzu
04-22-2010, 07:22 AM
That is a wonderful gesture on your part Carole - and wise not to send the money directly to her. I hope she lives up to her end of the bargain, but if not, it won't be your fault. Fingers and paws crossed that this kitty gets fixed so that she isn't contributing to the overpopulation of cats. It's not poor kitty's fault tho, since she is just doing what comes naturally. Now that woman is another story..........:eek::mad:

momcat
04-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Bless you for caring enough to try to help this poor kitty. And you did the right thing by sending the money directly to the vet's on her behalf. Wow, three litters already! This not only increases the cat population, it's compromising mommy cat's health!
Somehow I strongly doubt that you'll hear from her but I hope I'm wrong for the sake of this cat and her babies.
I also find it hard to believe that you were criticized on the forum for offering some help and advice. Somehow I don't see that ever happening here at PT. You stood up and spoke for the cats, something they simply cannot do for themselves. For that you have my full support and heartfelt gratitude!!!

Catty1
04-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Carol, would the forum you are on allow you to post the Pet Talk link (cat section) for people to check for advice?

That way if this gal (for example) gets 10 or more people saying SPAY! she might get the point. ;):D

Just a thought....you could post it semi-regularly, and mention your good experiences here.

Just a thought.

Anikaca77
04-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Thank you Carole for caring so much.

When I see people giving away kittens/cats for free I tend to e-mail them letting them know the dangers of doing it and they should try to do an application at least or see where the cat is going to live out it's life. I hope you do hear from her and I'm glad you were able to tell her things about UTI's. I'm so glad you were willing to help and thank you for caring about this kitty. We can't save them all like someone told me but if we all try to do a little bit then there can be success. We do what we can when we can and even sometimes when we don't feel we can, we or I do anyway.

Melissa

Anikaca77
04-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Good Idea!

Carol, would the forum you are on allow you to post the Pet Talk link (cat section) for people to check for advice?

That way if this gal (for example) gets 10 or more people saying SPAY! she might get the point. ;):D

Just a thought....you could post it semi-regularly, and mention your good experiences here.

Just a thought.

phesina
04-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Thank you so much, Carole, for doing this and for your good heart and love. God bless you, and prayers that this kitty gets the help she needs!

carole
04-23-2010, 01:49 AM
well i wish i had something good to report, but so far nothing from her, so i have sent her another PM, just saying do you still want my help with spaying kitty and that it is a great opportunity to get it done so cheapily and that you don't want her having any more , hard on her and you, so let me know and i will send the cheque straight away, i will just have to be patient and hope that she responds, but i really feel she is not going to,i feel so despondent, knowing i can help and she won't take it.
Get this, the weird thing is she has shown some level of responsibilty, she kept one of the kittens from one of the last litters and had him neutered and vaccinated, i find it strange she did that but continues to let mama cat breed.

Well yes i was quite taken aback by the rudeness of this other person too, especially as it was their very first post on that forum, and that another person was saying hey well said, how can you be being pathetic and immature by telling someone to be responsible and spay their cat, go figure, oh well water under the bridge, my main and only concern is helping this wee girl get fixed,but if she does not respond my hands are tied ,what else can i do.

Posting a link sounds good in theory, but honestly i cannot see it making any difference ,some people you just cannot get through to or help,i want to keep things on a good basis with her, i did this with Ellie and Nikki's owner and it was the best way to go, if i had been all up in arms with her, i probably would not have got her agreement to spay the cats, so i think this is the best way, just to be helpful and offer it in kind manner.,if she feels i am harrassing her, she will back off and then block me from sending messages, so i have to be careful, kitty is my main priority here, i am sure you all understand where i am coming from here.

please keep your fingers crossed that i hear from her soon.,and thanks for listening guys, appreciate it, hey you know i have seen so many wonderful gestures and kindess here on PT,and been on the receiving end, it has really rubbed off on me and made me a better person IMO,and sometimes even if you are struggling yourself you just have to do what you can no matter how hard it is , i am sure you all agree?

Hey since posting this i have great news, she did contact me, i was just a little impatient,not my best quality, patience that is lol, her little girl had been sick, she said go ahead and give her details to the cats protection league, so on monday i will be sending a cheque to them and her details, i am so excited, this means kitty is going to get spayed , yahoo, i think i also will make up a small box of kitty things, like kitten food and include print outs on how to look after a cat once spayed and send it to her,but it will have to wait a little as i have other prioritys at the moment, like paying for kitties spaying.

I am so happy, really i am,it is like pay it forward really, and it feels so good.

moosmom
04-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Great job, Carole!!!

carole
04-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks Donna, i have been pm'ing her a bit, and her wee girl has been pretty sick, so i understand a lot going on, but yep the cheque is on its way, and waiting there for her when she is ready to take kitty in, she is a black girl apparently like my lexie, i have asked if she will send me a pic via email when she gets time, so that would be nice.

Just hope she gets her in before she gets in kitten again, that is my worry, but oh well i have done all i can for now, i hope to send her some kitten food and a little book or something for her wee girl, but will have to wait, as i have other financial prioritys right now, like my kitties.

Oh i just checked my email and there is a pic of Kitty,this is when she was a bit younger,but i have not been able to download it for some reason, will try later and see if i can post it ok.

Lillycat
04-25-2010, 06:12 PM
hoping to hear she has been in for her procedure......

carole
04-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Oh my just take a look at this furbaby, isn't she gorgeous, she was a bit younger here, but i imagine she is not very old, it makes me feel so great to know this beautiful girl is on to a better life after being spayed, you can see she is well taken care of by the look of her. be prepared to fall in love I sure did Lol.:):love:

krazyaboutkatz
04-25-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks for helping this woman with her cat. Hopefully everything will go well when she's able to get her spayed.:) Maybe you could give her the link to PT so she can join if she'd like to.