PDA

View Full Version : Automatic or manual transmission

ChrisH
04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
If you drive which do you use, automatic or manual.

krazyaboutkatz
04-19-2010, 11:44 AM
My cars have always been automatic. I refuse to drive a manual transmission. Since you'll be learning to drive I would also think that an automatic would be easier to learn on too.

pomtzu
04-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Manual here. I learned to drive on a stick shift, and most every car that I've ever had, has been stick. They are easier to maneuver/handle, on snow covered roads than an automatic, tho that might not be an issue for a lot of people. If I was in the market to buy another car, (which I'm not), I wouldn't be opposed to buying an automatic tho.

However, I do think that driver's ed should be taught on manual transmission cars. If you can drive that, then you can drive any.

Catty1
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Manual! I learned on both, but love a 5 speed. Easier to control, has allowed me to avoid slow-speed last minute fender benders in icy conditions. Cars with manual transmissions are better on fuel economy, and less expensive to fix than automatic.

To me, it's the ONLY way to drive! :D

kuhio98
04-19-2010, 12:18 PM
I learned to drive on a car with manual transmission. Glad I did. But, my current car is automatic.

I have a friend who is trapped home with 3 kids because she refuses to learn to drive the manual mini-van. How stooopid is that? They can't afford to buy a new car, so she'd rather sit at home? What happens if they have an emergency?

CountryWolf07
04-19-2010, 01:25 PM
I learned how to drive on automatic. Never learned manual, but I would like to do that this spring/summer with the Wrangler Jeep!

Karen
04-19-2010, 01:29 PM
I learned on an automatic, then years later I learned to drive a manual transmission. Paul and I have different driving styles, so our current cars are both automatics, as he feels better about my driving with an automatic. I don;t mind, either way is fine with me, but as sometimes he has a bum ankle, an automatic is a better bet for us.

Killearn Kitties
04-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Manual!

Chris, how did the lesson go? I've been on tenderhooks all day!

Pinot's Mom
04-19-2010, 01:54 PM
My husband and I had strictly manual cars (and a few trucks) for well over 20 years. Several years ago, I had a major tendon rupture in my leg, and the doctor told me I could never drive a clutch again even after the operation. We now have an automatic car and truck. I have to say, in city traffic, it's MUCH nicer to have automatic! :)

RICHARD
04-19-2010, 01:54 PM
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/jeep-wheelstanding-on-road/e777c04be9f65b2702a0e777c04be9f65b2702a0-1791077320013

LOLOLOLOL,

First lesson?:eek:;)

Chris,
I just have to tease you about this!

Indulge me?

Thanks!:D

happylabs
04-19-2010, 02:01 PM
I learned on automatic 30 years ago. My ex-husband tried to teach me how to drive standard when my kids were little, but it was discovered that I have some sort of mental block when it comes to coordinating everything. :D We had only a manual car at one point. I was left to drive it on my own one day and stalled the vehicle in the middle of a fairly big intersection. :eek: After that I gave up!

My new Subaru has what they call 4-speed automatic. You can down shift if you like which I am finding comes in handy when going down big hills where I am stuck behind an 18-wheeler going 40 mph.

NicoleLJ
04-19-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't know. lol And my fiance is asleep(has a cold) so I can't ask him. Since I don't know how to drive I have no clue how to tell.

RICHARD
04-19-2010, 02:09 PM
I don't know. lol And my fiance is asleep(has a cold) so I can't ask him. Since I don't know how to drive I have no clue how to tell.

If his feet 'dance' and he moves a lever on the floor of the car while he drives?

It's a manual tranny!

pomtzu
04-19-2010, 02:16 PM
If his feet 'dance' and he moves a lever on the floor of the car while he drives?

It's a manual tranny!

Richard - make it easy for the poor girl!!

Nicole - are there 2 or 3 floor pedals?

2 = automatic / gas and brake
3 = manual / gas, clutch and brake

Cookiebaker
04-19-2010, 02:20 PM
I LOVE driving a manual! My favorite car was a manual Mazda Protege, very zippy and fun!

But, my current car is an automatic. I only buy used cars, and that's generally what is for sale. :p

pomtzu
04-19-2010, 02:27 PM
I LOVE driving a manual! My favorite car was a manual Mazda Protege, very zippy and fun!

That's what I drive now - 5 speed Protege 5. I don't drive much, but this little car gets me where I need to go without a problem. And the best part - it's paid for!!!

NicoleLJ
04-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Richard - make it easy for the poor girl!!

Nicole - are there 2 or 3 floor pedals?

2 = automatic / gas and brake
3 = manual / gas, clutch and brake

Fiance woke up. He says it is an automatic.

Randi
04-19-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't think you're even allowed to learn in an automatic here - if you can't drive a manuel, you don't get a licence. I have to say I agree with that, like if someone can't drive in rush hour traffic in a city, they should not be allowed to drive.

Good luck with your license, Chris!

Sonia59
04-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't think you're even allowed to learn in an automatic here - if you can't drive a manuel, you don't get a licence. I have to say I agree with that, like if someone can't drive in rush hour traffic in a city, they should not be allowed to drive.

The same goes for France. Perhaps some people with a specific handicap are allowed to learn on an automatic car, but that's it.

You can buy an automatic car in France of course, but it's very rare. I don't know about someone around me having an automatic.

ChrisH
04-19-2010, 04:05 PM

Thanks Randi. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/attachment-1.gif
Over here you can learn to drive and take the tests in an automatic but of course that is all you are allowed to drive afterwards. You have to take and pass the manual test to be able to drive both types.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/jeep-wheelstanding-on-road/e777c04be9f65b2702a0e777c04be9f65b2702a0-1791077320013

LOLOLOLOL,

First lesson?:eek:;)

Chris,
I just have to tease you about this!

Indulge me?

Thanks!:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/happy041.gif
Tease away, Richard, tease away.:D

Manual!

Chris, how did the lesson go? I've been on tenderhooks all day!
It went ok, Karen, thanks for asking. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/kiss.gif Much to my surprise I may add. :) I got to driving in 4th gear down some straight roads and around a number of corners, did smooth starts and stops & didn't stall at any point so I felt quite pleased. Looong way to go though.
The instructor and I were talking about manual versus automatic that's why I asked the question. As there is so much to learn beside the control of the car I am tinkering with the idea of going with an automatic, but I'll give it a few more lessons before I make that decision.

Alysser
04-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Definitely Automatic, my car is an automatic and I think my future cars will all be that way. Manuals seem like a pain to drive.

lvpets2002
04-19-2010, 04:28 PM
:) Oh when I grew up on the farm it was always Manual Trans.. Now that I am older & wiser its only Automatic Trans..

Grace
04-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Both our cars are automatic, but we drove manual until 2000.

I learned how to drive back in the Dark Ages, when it was manual or walk. In Rhode Island, when you had your driver's test to get your license - if you drove an automatic, the License was stamped Automatic Only.

So if you wanted to switch to manual, you had to take the test over again - in a manual vehicle.

lizbud
04-19-2010, 05:15 PM
I learned to drive on manual trans, but now drive with automatic. I also
taught both my kids to drive manual before they were able to chose their
favorite.

I heard of more failed carjacking of a stick shift cars by young punks
who can only drive automatic.:)

Barbara
04-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Manual- what else?

davidpizzica
04-19-2010, 05:37 PM
When I had a car (I turned it in to go into assisted living), it was an automatic with a console shift (2007 cobalt). When I worked on the golf course, some of the equipment had manual transmissions and I learned to use those.

fritz03
04-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Always been automatic,for 25 years,gear changing too complicated with Manual.

Asiel
04-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Learned on a manual but have had automatics for yrs. Wouldn't want to go back to a clutch with a bum leg, bad enough hoping it won't fail me when I need to brake. Have a six speed tranny and we can hardly feel it changing gears .

Marigold2
04-19-2010, 08:01 PM
We all learned on a stick here because we had VW cars being German.
Now I have a Camry which I love love love love.

Vette
04-19-2010, 08:03 PM
We have both.

think i would prefer automatic though,, no worry of missing a gear or being in the wrong gear etc.

Cataholic
04-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Manual, the only way to drive! It isn't even a thought anymore....the foot and the hand on the shift work by themselves.

sirrahbed
04-19-2010, 08:37 PM
I learned on an automatic 40 years ago:) Ten years ago my hubby went on a one year remote and so I finally HAD to learn to drive a manual and found it such fun!! I wish I had learned it originally. But since then we have gone back to automatics and probably will stick with them. Less to think about!! A few years back, daughter Sirrahsim also faced a six month hubby remote and I taught her to drive a stick so she could borrow her brother's car to use and now that is all she really likes!!

Taz_Zoee
04-19-2010, 08:45 PM
I have tried several times to learn to drive a manual. No luck. I WANT to know how just in case of an emergency type situation. My car and Bruce's truck are both automatic, so no learning here. But my SIL has a manual. Maybe some day I'll learn. :rolleyes:

Although, years ago my friend got a used VW Cabriolet. I drove it once and didn't stall AT ALL. I was so pleased. She was not happy because when she first got it she stalled ALL the time. LOL :D

k9krazee
04-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Automatic! I've driven a manual before in our yard, but I think I'd be afraid to drive it on the road. I'm in the process of looking for a car and my dad keeps finding/suggesting manuals, they just seem like a lot of work and I'd rather just relax and not have to think about shifting!

cassiesmom
04-19-2010, 09:47 PM
I had two manual transmission cars in a row. Now I'm on my third automatic. I wouldn't hesitate to drive a car with a manual transmission again, though.

chocolatepuppy
04-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Manual here.;)

I heard of more failed carjacking of a stick shift cars by young punks
who can only drive automatic.:)
Ha ha! Maybe my truck will never get stolen!:p

Definitely Automatic, my car is an automatic and I think my future cars will all be that way. Manuals seem like a pain to drive.
Not a pain, fun!:D

DJFyrewolf36
04-19-2010, 10:05 PM
I learned to drive an automatic first and then learned manual when I got the Festiva. I felt a lot more confident on the road when I learned how to drive a manual trans, and its also gotten me a couple of really good temp jobs. I can drive just about anything on the road :D

I do agree it takes a lot of practice though, and some people just aren't wired to do it. It does make you a LOT more attentive to the road however. I find that if I drive automatics long distances my attention tends to drift.

Twisterdog
04-19-2010, 10:31 PM
My current car is an automatic, but most of my cars have been manuals. I like to drive manuals, more fun. Also I feel more confident on bad roads if I am in control of which gear I'm in without relying on braking to get me there.

However, if you are just learning to drive, an automatic is certainly easier.

Freedom
04-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Wish I knew how to use a manual. Saves on gas mileage and lower price when you buy a car.

My training was all on automatic. Come time to buy my first car (prior to that, I used the family car), I really wanted a manual.

Sales guy: NO PROBLEM! I'll take you out back of the lot and you will have it in NO TIME!

CAR: Kangaroo hop .. kangaroo hop .. kangaroo hop

Sales guy: Um, why do you let me drive the car back to it spot. I think you have to get an automatic. Hope my manager doesn't find out what we just did to this brand new car!

I've had automatic ever since! :D

Asiel
04-20-2010, 01:03 PM
We all learned on a stick here because we had VW cars being German.
Now I have a Camry which I love love love love.

This is our first VW van, last one was a Toyota but didn't want to chance that with all the flack they're having.

How does the VW compare to other cars Marigold?

We had no clue but the van is basically a Chrysler Town and Country, the two companies merged. So far it handles real nice and the ride is very smooth.

kokopup
04-20-2010, 11:08 PM
In my younger years I drove Manual and Automatic equally. In my old age I drive Automatic in my main transportation, An Audi A4. I have the advantage of both manual and Auto. with Tiptronic. In manual mode It drives like a manual just without a clutch. I have a 81 VW Pickup truck that has a 5 speed manual that I enjoy driving because it is so quick and very economical.

Asiel

This is our first VW van, last one was a Toyota but didn't want to chance that with all the flack they're having.

How does the VW compare to other cars Marigold?

We had no clue but the van is basically a Chrysler Town and Country, the two companies merged. So far it handles real nice and the ride is very smooth.

The VW van is basically a Chrysler but is modified by VW to have a different feel than you get in the Chrysler. They have modified the suspension and some interior treatment. Chrysler and VW did not merge. Chrysler is making the VW Van but that is all there is to their relationship. VW is the worlds largest automaker making brands like Bentley, Lamborghini, Porsche, Audi, and VW just to name a few.

Suki Wingy
04-21-2010, 02:07 AM
I currently don't have a car since my old one kicked the bucket :( but my last one was an automatic. My next car will be whatever's cheapest since I really want to learn how to drive a manual.

pomtzu
04-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Manual, the only way to drive! It isn't even a thought anymore....the foot and the hand on the shift work by themselves.

Agreed - it's just second nature once you do it for a while. On rare occasions if I have to drive an automatic, I find myself using both feet instead of just one. Feeling for that invisible clutch is pretty funny too!!! Old habits die hard :D

wombat2u2004
04-21-2010, 09:54 AM
I have both, so it's not even an issue for me. I do find the stick shift more controllable tho, and yes, manuals are better fuel wise.
AND, if for some reason you get a flat battery, you can clutch start a manual, and that will at least get you to a workshop or home....with an automatic yer stuck.

Killearn Kitties
04-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Agreed - it's just second nature once you do it for a while. On rare occasions if I have to drive an automatic, I find myself using both feet instead of just one. Feeling for that invisible clutch is pretty funny too!!! Old habits die hard :D

Reminds me of the time I foolishly hired a car in San Francisco and spent a fair amount of time groping for my gear stick in the door pocket. :D

pomtzu
04-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Reminds me of the time I foolishly hired a car in San Francisco and spent a fair amount of time groping for my gear stick in the door pocket. :D

LOL - I forgot that you build cars backwards in Europe!!! :p It must be strange indeed for Americans to try to drive from the passenger seat and on the opposite side of the road - and vise versa. I'd probably wreck within the first mile......:eek::p

I know - Europeans say that Americans are backward, and Americans say that Europeans are backward. That's like saying "what came first - the chicken or the egg"? ;)

3Catcondo
04-21-2010, 04:32 PM
I've owned several manual (stick shift is what I call it) and It's fun to drive but a pain in the arse in traffic and on steep hills. LOL!!
I prefer an automatic these days.

Amy

kokopup
04-21-2010, 10:31 PM
pomtzu

LOL - I forgot that you build cars backwards in Europe!!! It must be strange indeed for Americans to try to drive from the passenger seat and on the opposite side of the road - and vise versa. I'd probably wreck within the first mile......

I know - Europeans say that Americans are backward, and Americans say that Europeans are backward. That's like saying "what came first - the chicken or the egg"?

The only part of Europe that drives on the WRONG side of the road is the UK,
which includes England, Scotland ,Ireland and Wales.

binka_nugget
04-22-2010, 04:55 PM
I learned on automatic but currently drive manual. I LOVE manual transmission! I feel much safer driving manual. The only downside is that I end up driving for the entire duration of roadtrips cause no one else knows manual (or has a reliable car :P).

caseysmom
04-22-2010, 05:37 PM
How do you drink your coffee if you have manual? :p

chocolatepuppy
04-22-2010, 06:08 PM

I've ate ice cream cones driving in my truck, it can be done. ;)

Shelteez2
04-22-2010, 06:11 PM

If you drive an automatic are you always holding onto a cup of coffee? You simply leave the coffee in the holder while you shift. :p

I too drive a manual and love it. I took my driver's lessons on an automatic then bought a car with a stick shift because it was cheaper. It doesn't take that long at all before it becomes second nature. The few times I've had to drive an automatic I had to sit on my left foot because it kept trying to push in the imaginary clutch... lol.

caseysmom
04-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Okay how do you drink coffee, talk on your cell phone and put on your mascara :p

Catty1
04-22-2010, 07:42 PM
With the new law in Alberta, CM, you don't do any of that! ;):D

Shelteez2
04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Okay how do you drink coffee, talk on your cell phone and put on your mascara :p

Well if you have to do all that while driving, maybe you should just stay home. ;)

caseysmom
04-22-2010, 08:58 PM
On a serious note I have had manual and don't think I would like it at this point in my life. My first car manual and not synchronized, anyone remember that?