PDA

View Full Version : Petsmarts Closing?

krazyaboutkatz
04-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Hi, I went to a Petsmart that's very close to my work tonight and I was very surprised to see a sign saying that they would be closing this store as of May 3rd.:( I think that the last time that I was in this store was in March and I don't remember seeing a closing sign. Most of their stock is gone. This store is also a fairly new one and it was so convenient for me to shop in on my way home from work. Luckily there's still another one that is close to where I live.

Are other Petsmart's closing in other states too? Just curious.

anna_66
04-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Ours actually closed about a month ago.

Marigold2
04-17-2010, 08:25 AM
PetsMart closing how very sad. :( It's a huge chain and thousands will lose their jobs. I don't have a PetsMart in my town, there is a store two towns over. Our city just built a new Petco which I find a bit pricey. My favorite is Pet Supplies Plus as they carry the Oxbow hay for the buns and their prices are great along with their staff.
One young girl who worked there became good friends with us, she is in college now studing biology.
Hopefully the entire chain will not close such as the Alvins and Lines & Things.

boomersooner
04-17-2010, 08:28 AM
I have two near me.....one is very busy, the other not so much. They closed one near me and built one of the two near me now....It seems like Petco opens up very near the Petsmarts.....We were there just last night, walking Boomer and Sooner around.

Freedom
04-17-2010, 09:08 AM
According to this, they are closing 33 stores, opening 75 new "superstores." Took ages to find anything online about the closings!

Says the stores that are closing do have other superstores nearby.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3092/is_n8_v37/ai_n27524969/

kokopup
04-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Freedom
According to this, they are closing 33 stores, opening 75 new "superstores." Took ages to find anything online about the closings!

Says the stores that are closing do have other superstores nearby.

It looks like this was an article that is 12 years old. Probably does not apply to the current closings.

moosmom
04-17-2010, 09:46 AM
We have one near BB&B and I'm not sure if it's gonna close or not. I think alot of the smaller stores are closing. At least that's the way it is in CT. Chalk it up to the economy.

What bothers me is all these empty buildings that could certainly house the homeless, or act as a temporary shelter. Breaks my heart to see these perfectly historic buildings get imploded for a parking lot.

Sorry, got off track for a minute there.:rolleyes:

pomtzu
04-17-2010, 10:04 AM
I haven't heard of any closing in this area. I certainly hope they don't.

We have a pet supply chain store with many stores here in DE and nearby Pa. One opened within this past year in a new shopping plaza not far from where I live. It's a huge superstore, however, I don't know how they stay in business. Their prices are outrageous, and the few times that I've been in there, there hasn't been another single customer in the store! :eek: Every time I drive by, there's never any cars parked in front either. I don't look for them to be open much longer. People just don't want to pay their prices, when they can drive 7 or 8 miles down the road and get the same thing at Petsmart for a whole lot less.

Cinder & Smoke
04-17-2010, 10:59 AM
We have a pet supply chain store with many stores here in DE and nearby Pa.

It's a huge superstore, however, I don't know how they stay in business.
Their prices are outrageous,
and the few times that I've been in there,
there hasn't been another single customer in the store! :eek: ...

:confused:

What's the NAME of this place?

happylabs
04-17-2010, 11:50 AM
What bothers me is all these empty buildings that could certainly house the homeless, or act as a temporary shelter. Breaks my heart to see these perfectly historic buildings get imploded for a parking lot.

Sorry, got off track for a minute there.:rolleyes:

It's okay. I agree.

We have a Petco closest to me about 30 minutes away. It is very expensive compared to prices at Walmart or Wegmans. The Petsmart is about 45 minutes away in another direction. I am not sure I have ever been in the Petsmart.

Reminds me of a funny one from Larry the Cable guy. "Is it Pets-mart or Pet-smart". :p

pomtzu
04-17-2010, 12:18 PM
:confused:

What's the NAME of this place?

Well - I didn't want to bad-mouth them - but if you insist: it's

Concord Pet Foods & Supplies

Another thing about them - they advertise a certain product on their website, then you go to the store to purchase it, only to find out that they no longer carry it. Can't say that it's an intentional bait and switch, but if it's not available, then update your darn website!

Freedom
04-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Freedom

It looks like this was an article that is 12 years old. Probably does not apply to the current closings.

:rolleyes: Oops, sorry about that. I did say it was hard to find anything about the closings! :p There are lots of discussions on many of the pet forums, about Petsmart stores closing, that is all I could find.

chocolatepuppy
04-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Say it isn't so!!!:eek: Petsmart's the only social life I have.:o Heaven knows I've spent enough money there to keep them in business myself!:rolleyes:

Taz_Zoee
04-17-2010, 09:48 PM
I hope mine isn't closing! That's where I take Zoee for her grooming. And I just like it!!

The Petco in town just moved to a bigger/better location. But I'm not a fan of Petco. I prefer PetSmart.

I was going to take Zoee tomorrow for grooming, but decided to wait until next weekend. I think I'll call tomorrow to schedule her appointment. Oh wait, I need kitty litter. Maybe I'll just run over there and check it out.

krazyaboutkatz
04-17-2010, 11:28 PM
There used to be a Pets Supplies Plus but this closed down many years ago.:( I also loved their prices. It then turned into a Petco. There used to be another Petco very close to my work and they also closed down many years ago and became a jewelry store. I've never been a big fan of Petco but I was forced to shop at them because there weren't any other large chain pet stores around until Petsmarts finally started opening up.

I know that the economy is still very bad and it will take several years for things for things to be like they used to be. Hopefully only a few select Petsmart stores are closing and not the entire chain. There's also a Pet Club that has great prices but they're much further away from me so I don't shop there very often. There's also a Pet Food Express fairly close to me but they are a bit pricey but they do offer buy 3 get one free on many of their items and they do support shelters and rescue groups which I like.