PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Driver's Test

Alysser
04-15-2010, 04:18 PM
So, tomorrow I'm taking the driver's test to get my Provisional License. I don't really know why I am announcing this, but I'm excited. I want to be able to drive without my parents and the yelling :p It's mostly my mom, who claims I don't stop at stop signs :confused: She once told me to stop in the middle of an intersection because "A car was coming on my left, illegally", and when I didn't she got mad. Sorry, mom, I don't think stopping in the middle of an intersection is a good idea either. ;) But anyway, I'm kind of nervous. If I fail, it'll be two weeks before I can try again. My friends all told me I won't and my parents admitted I'm not that bad a driver so we shall see ;) I thought I'd announce it to the world because I'm pretty excited. :D

carole
04-15-2010, 04:26 PM
of course it is something to be excited about and thanks for sharing it with us, i remember when my girl was sitting her's it seems so long ago now, but it really isn't ,i was as nervous as if it were me sitting it.

Good luck and I am sure you will pass, let us know how you get on, thinking of you.:)

Queen of Poop
04-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Good Luck!!! Remember to Relax. It's not a big deal if you fail so just do your best and you'll likely be very pleasantly surprised.

kokopup
04-15-2010, 04:56 PM
I remember, how excited I was when I took mine, just like it was yesterday.
There are dates that stand out for me and drivers test was one of those. Hard to believe it was over a half century ago. Good luck on your test.:):cool:

Freedom
04-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Oh I can remember how exciting it is as well! And a bit nerve wracking, lol!

You will do fine. Best of Luck!

*LabLoverKEB*
04-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Good luck Alyssa, I'm sure you'll do great!:) I took my test in March, and I totally hit the curb pulling out of the DMV.:o It's funny now, but I was so upset at the time!:rolleyes:

Marigold2
04-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Good luck, never forget to wear your seatbeat and have fun.

Anikaca77
04-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Good luck and remember to always stop at stop signs or it's about $105 ticket. One morning I was speeding and I flew right past a stop sign and got pulled over.

Luckly he just gave me a written warning so I was very lucky and now I stop at every stop sign.

Alysser
04-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Thank you guys! I passed with flying colors :D I can't believe I was nervous for that, it was so EASY! I just got in the car, did the parallel parking and K-turn and that was literally it. :p I could've done it with my eyes closed. Best part? I don't have to go to school today :D

Queen of Poop
04-16-2010, 09:24 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Now you can really enjoy your day. Hi to Mikey!

Taz_Zoee
04-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Well, I didn't see this in time to wish you luck. But apparently you didn't need it! :D
Way to go!! :D :D

caseysmom
04-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Congratulations! They don't make the kids parallel park here anymore but I remember having to do it.

Be careful out there I don't want anything to happen to my daughter :D

Miss Z
04-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Well done Alyssa, sounds like you did perfectly! :D Wow, things are so different over there. Do you have to take another test to get the 'full' license? Over here, you only need to apply for the provisional to be sent to you in the post, which allows you to take driving lessons, and then you take the test for the full license when you feel ready (and spent one heck of a lot of money paying the instructor :p).

Anikaca77
04-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Congrats! I remember the day that I passed my drivers test and I was so excited!! Just try not do talk on the cell phone while driving because it's very dangerous. But I'm glad you passed and congrats again!!!

Alysser
04-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Thank you, guys! It's nice that I no longer have to depend on my parents to drive me everywhere! I can only drive 1 friend though, for 1 year - kind of annoying but I still have freedom! :P Mom, I promise I'll be careful, and Anikaca thank you ;) I know I doubt I will ever use my phone when I'm driving I always put it in the back seat, thanks for the advice though :D

Yes, Zara it does seems alot different. No, you don't have to take a test to get your full license - you just automatically get it a year after your provisional. Before you get your provisional, you have to have a permit and you can't drive alone only with your parents so it's annoying. We have lessons to get our permits.

kokopup
04-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Congratulations on passing your test. The thing that causes most accidents with people that are accident proned is they are easily distracted. The cell whether talking or texting should only be done if not at the wheel. It is not necessary to look at your passenger when talking, and it is a good idea to sort out your entertainment,(radio cd etc) before you start driving. OK, end of lecture, be careful.:)

fritz03
04-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Congratulations on getting your license,must be great.I remember getting mine 25 years ago,the lady who gave me lessons phoned her dad when I found out I passed.have a great time driving!

*LabLoverKEB*
04-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Congratulations Alyssa, way to go!!! Have fun, and be safe!:)

K9karen
04-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Driving is a huge responsibility! It's always the other guy you have to look out for. But I know you're thinking FREEDOM!!!! You're a smart cookie, so I know you'll have safe fun! It's a big milestone! CONGRATS!!!!!

Freedom
04-17-2010, 09:14 AM
CONGRATS on passing! GOOD JOB! :D

ChrisH
04-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Congrats & well done Alysser! :D

As has been said before, over here in the UK the license system is somewhat different. You need a provisional to begin with which allows you to take lessons/drive with a qualified instructor or someone who already possess a full driving licence in the car with you. To get a full licence you need to pass the theory test & practical test.

The theory test is in two parts, firstly a 50 question multiple choice exam to complete on a touch screen, it last 57 minutes and requires a pass mark of 43. The second part consist of watching a series of 14 video clips where you must click the mouse to indicate when a hazard is presented on screen. Each clip will contain a developing hazard and one clip will present two. You can score a maximum of 5 points for each clip depending how soon you are aware of the hazard. You need at least 44 out of a possible 75 to pass. A pass in both parts is needed before you can apply to take the practical, out on the road, test.

To pass the practical you must not commit a serious fault and fewer than 15 less serious errors.
It lasts around 40 minutes and assesses whether you are competent of controlling the car, whether you are maintaining normal progress for the road you are on, how you react to any hazards that occur, whether you are noticing all traffic signs, signals and road markings, and reacting to them in the correct manner. The test also includes two set exercises from either turning in the road, reversing around a corner or reverse parking.

I have my first driving lesson tomorrow. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/stress.gif :D