PDA

View Full Version : How do they do it?

gini
04-15-2010, 02:14 PM
I ordered two power backups for my computers online and my credit card was turned down. What?

Almost immediately after my attempting to use the card I had a phone call from my bank. Was I trying to use the card and did I try on 3/29 to charge something online from Britanica to the tune of $75.90?

I hardly use my credit cards unless it is to order something online. I used it a lot at Christmas and never had any problems.

That charge for $75.90 is not mine - I have the card in my wallet - now canceled.

How do they get my number - have any of you had problems lately?

RICHARD
04-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Gini,

IF you have used you card in the past and the system/company you purchased got hacked?

You can pretty much be assured that you number was sold to people who used it for some nefarious reason.

Sometimes the employees that take the calls at a call desk/purchasing desk will swipe #s and sell them to pals.

That sucks.

Cataholic
04-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Gini- here in Cincinnati, we recently have had a major compromise of the banking systems. I believe it was several of our area, local banks, but, also a couple of larger, national ones. The issue seemed to be mostly with debit cards, and utilization of them at the ATM. It was a thing called, "skimming". Something is already in the card reader, and when you put yours in, it 'skims' the info. It happened to my friend here at work.

Very scary. But, I think it was limited to debits...

ChrisH
04-15-2010, 04:22 PM
I've asked the same question, Gini, and am yet to get an answer.

My problem was somewhat similar and has happened twice. The differences are that mine was concerning a debit card, were small-ish amounts (thank God) and happened six months apart.
Both were billed as cell phone top ups, but to different companies. Like you, my card never leaves my person or home, in fact is hidden when at home. I do use cash machines occasionally but am always careful to check the machine, who is around, and hide my pin number when keying in.

It seems that frauds such as the ones that occurred on my account happen a lot but as they are small amounts a lot of people don't notice. So check your account very often is my advice. I tell you what though, it's real scary knowing someone has found a way to take money out of my account, and twice.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-15-2010, 06:26 PM
That happened to us recently too. It was on a card that we forgot we had and we should have cancelled. The charge was for some place neither of us ever shop. My husband called the band that the card was with and explained that the charge wasn't made by us, then he cancelled the card. They sent us a paper to sign and send back, then we were reimbursed for the charge.