PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Cities you would go to for VACATION?

CountryWolf07
04-15-2010, 10:33 AM
My boyfriend and I are talking about going somewhere for vacation this summer, right now we are trying to see if we can afford to go to Yellowstone for 7 days because my brother is out there for a summer job so I think that would be a great experience. If it doesn't work out for some reason, we want to come up with a backup plan. Here's the thing, we can't think of where we would want to go to, we thought Washington D.C or Chicago... not sure yet.. What are your suggestions - top 5 cities that you would go to for vacation. NYC is ruled out. We both aren't big on shopping, very crowded areas, etc. We're both laid back, fun, easygoing, we LOVE nature/hiking/outdoors. So, top 5? :)

Grace
04-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Copper Harbor, MI (http://www.copperharbor.org/)

Boston, MA

Gettysburg, PA

Gander, Newfoundland, Canada

Paradise, MI (http://www.superiorsights.com/cities/paradise.html)

I haven't been to Gander, but have read about it. The Michigan spots have lots of outdoor activities. Gettysburg and Boston have so much history.

pomtzu
04-15-2010, 11:29 AM
White Mountains in NH

Bar Harbor, ME

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Outer Banks of NC

Cape Cod, MA

Hiking/camping in Colorado, Montana or Utah

Pinot's Mom
04-15-2010, 12:19 PM
In the U.S....

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
San Francisco, California
New Orleans, Louisiana
Cape Cod, Massachusetts

That was hard to narrow down!!

Barbara
04-15-2010, 01:44 PM
In North America
Cannon Beach (I have to agree with Pinot's mom- I love the Oregon coast)
Vancouver
San Francisco
Chicago
Washington
I have only been to the first four as I would prefer to go to National parks e.g. Zion and Bryce (where you could add a visit at Best Friends ;))

Grace
04-15-2010, 02:00 PM
I have only been to the first three as I would prefer to go to National parks e.g. Zion and Bryce (where you could add a visit at Best Friends ;))

Have you been there - Best Friends? I would love to go one day :)

carole
04-15-2010, 04:04 PM
I am assuming you meant within the US, i have been to Yellowstone and loved it, hope you go there it is awesome.

San Diego is one of my favourites
and i love Provo Utah.

Daisy and Delilah
04-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Maine a revisit

Key West a revisit

North Carolina another revisit

NYC a revisit

New England anywhere in NE

Marigold2
04-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Back to Seattle
Back to NYC
Back to Montana
To Vermont
LA for some shopping and sight seeing.,

CountryWolf07
04-15-2010, 08:09 PM
All are great suggestions - - - I did not think about CO at all, that could be a possibility. Keep the suggestions going.. and yes, only in the USA. I don't have a passport! :) Thanks!!

Pembroke_Corgi
04-15-2010, 08:14 PM
You should visit Colorado for sure of you love hiking and the outdoors! There is plenty to do in Denver, and the mountain towns are fun, too. There are lots of trails and beautiful parks! Plus, the Appalachians are pretty, but are sort of more like hills than mountains. ;) I'd be happy to give you more information if you'd like.

cassiesmom
04-15-2010, 08:47 PM
In no particular order ...

New York
San Diego
Cleveland, Ohio (for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Cedar Point)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee Public Museum, Milwaukee County Zoo, loads of festivals, Wisconsin State Fair)
Toronto - revisit

If you come to Chicago, go up to the 95th floor restaurant at the John Hancock Center and have lunch or have a drink at the 96th floor bar - the views are so cool! Go to Navy Pier; go to the Art Institute because the new modern wing just opened and it's gotten rave reviews. The Art Institute is free on Thursdays after 5 PM. Go to Oak Street Beach and do a little people-watching. If it rains, go to the Museum of Science and Industry (check their Web site for free day schedule). You can get bicycles at Navy Pier and ride up and down the lake front paths.

Edited to ask: Can I have more than five?
Washington, D.C.- new memorials and museum about the Holocaust have opened since I was last there, and my cousins live in Virginia and I have friends from college in Maryland.
Northern California, San Francisco, and where they grow grapes for wine making.
Savannah, Georgia.
I want to drive up to Manitowoc, Wisconsin, take a ferry across Lake Michigan (because you can - takes about 4 hours to cross). The other end is Ludington, Michigan, and I could drive back down through lovely southwest Michigan.
New Orleans
Colorado and/or Utah - mountains, clouds, sky, fresh air
Nashville and Memphis, TN

Marigold2
04-15-2010, 09:59 PM
If you come to Cleveland I am taking you to dinner. :D

New York
San Diego
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Milwaukee Art Museum, Milwaukee Public Museum, Milwaukee County Zoo, loads of festivals, Wisconsin State Fair)
Toronto - revisit

If you come to Chicago, go up to the 95th floor restaurant at the John Hancock Center and have lunch or have a drink at the 96th floor bar - the views are so cool! Go to Navy Pier; go to the Art Institute because the new modern wing just opened and it's gotten rave reviews. The Art Institute is free on Thursdays after 5 PM. Go to Oak Street Beach and do a little people-watching. If it rains, go down to the Museum of Science and Industry (check their Web site for free day schedule). You can get bicycles at Navy Pier and ride up and down the lake front paths.

kokopup
04-15-2010, 11:12 PM
North America

New England revisit
Nova Scotia revisit by way of Bar Harbor ferry
Prince Edward Island/New Brunswick
Carmel Valley California -revisit sister Pebble Beach, Big Sur
SW Canada Vancouver to-Canadian Rockies-Calgary

Not a fan of cities but surrounding areas

kokopup
04-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Pembroke_Corgi

You should visit Colorado for sure of you love hiking and the outdoors! There is plenty to do in Denver, and the mountain towns are fun, too. There are lots of trails and beautiful parks! Plus, the Appalachians are pretty, but are sort of more like hills than mountains. I'd be happy to give you more information if you'd like.

I have lead Mtn Bike Expeditions from Steamboat Springs to Salida 5 times following the Great Divide Bike Trail---- I have also spent many days riding trails in Tennessee and North Carolina. I can assure you that what they have in the Appalachian Mountains are indeed Mountains. Sure 14000 compared to 6,600 is a big difference. You have to realize that low country anywhere farther west than kansas is at 5000 ft before you come to the mountains. low country in Tennessee is 100 feet and NC is 0 feet. I have climbed to Clinkmans Dome 6600 ft on my Bike and there is not a climb to compare in Colorado. Pikes Peak climb is gradual by comparison.

moosmom
04-16-2010, 06:56 AM
I'd love to go to Vegas. My daughter's been there quite a few times and loves it. There's so much do to and see there.

My absolute DREAM vacation is a cruise to Alaska. I heard it's magnificant.

davidpizzica
04-16-2010, 08:22 AM
I'd love to go to Vegas. My daughter's been there quite a few times and loves it. There's so much do to and see there.

Sweetheart, on your way to Alaska, please make a side trip to Concordia!!

kokopup
04-16-2010, 01:54 PM
You need to start a 5 world wide places to visit.

Daisy and Delilah
04-16-2010, 04:47 PM
How could I forget Alaska?? I would love to go there more than anywhere else.

Asiel
04-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Yellowstone
Arizona
Australia
Britain
Spain
Prince Edward Island

Karen
04-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Boston is a good, walkable city, with plenty of history. It is also right on the Atlantic Ocean, so in the warm months, you can take a whale watching cruise. The Harbor Islands are a short boat ride, and nice to hike as well.

But I live here, so it wouldn't really be on my list! But if you do come this away, let us know, we should meet up!

Top 5 places I'd visit in the US that I have never been to:

1. Yosemite
2. PCH north of San Francisco - we drove it down to Santa Clara, would love to do the other direction up to Oregon Coast
3. Carlsbad Caverns
4. The elephant sanctuary in Tennessee
5. I dunno ... revisit the San Diego Wild Animal Park, up in Escondido!

cassiesmom
04-16-2010, 10:19 PM

Me, too, on both counts!

todd
04-17-2010, 07:28 PM
1 Bronson mo
2 Florida.
3 california
4 arizona

CountryWolf07
04-18-2010, 03:26 PM
We've talked a bit more about it, and we have decided between 3 cities - Washington D.C, Boston, or Chicago. If we do go to Washington, we would have time to go see Philly & Baltimore as well.. which would be a plus. :)

cassiesmom
06-02-2010, 08:15 PM

New York
San Diego
Toronto - revisit

If you come to Chicago, go up to the 95th floor restaurant at the John Hancock Center and have lunch or have a drink at the 96th floor bar - the views are so cool! Go to Navy Pier; go to the Art Institute because the new modern wing just opened and it's gotten rave reviews. The Art Institute is free on Thursdays after 5 PM. Go to Oak Street Beach and do a little people-watching. If it rains, go to the Museum of Science and Industry (check their Web site for free day schedule). You can get bicycles at Navy Pier and ride up and down the lake front paths.

Edited to ask: Can I have more than five?
Washington, D.C.- new memorials and museum about the Holocaust have opened since I was last there, and my cousins live in Virginia and I have friends from college in Maryland.
Northern California, San Francisco, and where they grow grapes for wine making.
Savannah, Georgia.
I want to drive up to Manitowoc, Wisconsin, take a ferry across Lake Michigan (because you can - takes about 4 hours to cross). The other end is Ludington, Michigan, and I could drive back down through lovely southwest Michigan.
New Orleans
Colorado and/or Utah - mountains, clouds, sky, fresh air
Nashville and Memphis, TN

Can I add a few more?
Philadelphia
Boston
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, in the upper peninsula of Michigan
The Grand Canyon

Suki Wingy
06-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Well for me personally it would be

1. La Crosse, WI
2. Cardiff, Wales, UK
3. Des Moines, IA
4. Washington D.C.
5. Minneapolis, MN

Bet between your choices, I really do like DC, I've only been there twice for day trips though. Chicago is great with all the museums and parks and things, but I live so close to there I often forget about how fun it can be.