PDA

View Full Version : The Show Must Go on!

happylabs
04-13-2010, 09:42 AM
I have never liked a circus because of the way the animals are treated, abused, and caged.

Last week there was a news item that happened only a few hours from my home. An elephant kicked his trainer and the trainer died.

I posted on our local news forum that I did not feel badly for the trainer. It started a huge controversy and one forum member in particular called me names. Oh well.

Here is the news article if you care to read:

http://www.wnep.com/news/countybycounty/wnep-luz-deadly-circus-accident-irem,0,6444936.story

In some countries they have banned circuses altogether. I think they should be banned in the USA as well.

Karen
04-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I do not think circuses should be banned, there are many parts of them that do not involve animal cruelty. Animals should be humanely treated, and I am sure there are people willing to do that and let children see happy elephants and happy ponies, etc.

Cataholic
04-13-2010, 11:15 AM
I think circuses should be banned, too! Along with pony rides, horse and buggy rides, and any display that exploits the animal (zoos are up there, too).

pomtzu
04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
I don't really approve of the way elephants in a circus are handled and I truly wish they would be banned from performing in them. I never realized how badly some are treated until I viewed some videos of trainer/handler abuse with Barnum & Bailey Circus. Whether this is standard for all circuses, I have no idea, but I found it to be cruel and abusive in some instances.

I saw the report of this particular incident in Wilkes-Barre on the Philadelphia news, and it was reported there, that they believe something startled the animal, and he kicked a hind leg out behind him, not knowing the trainer was there. This obviously wasn't an intentional attack by the elephant against the man - unlike some actual attacks and rampages by elephants.

I can't put any blame on the trainer, not knowing his relationship with this particular animal. He might have been one of the good guys, who was unfortunate enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Unfortunately, it is just one more blemish against elephants, and if no one wants to see this happen again, whether it be accidental or intentional, then let the elephants roam free or in a preserve, and not be on display under the "big top", and helping to rake in $$$ for the owners.

happylabs
04-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Unfortunately, it is just one more blemish against elephants, and if no one wants to see this happen again, whether it be accidental or intentional, then let the elephants roam free or in a preserve, and not be on display under the "big top", and helping to rake in $$$ for the owners.

Amen!