PDA

View Full Version : Dilema should I rehome Star?

StarandBratsmom
04-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Hey everyone. It's been awhile since I've visited here, I hope everyone is doing great. Alot has changed for me, I got married last summer, and now I am pregnant and due to have my daughter in July. Star has been with me pretty much the whole time.

Star is about 6 years old, and I've had her as a kitten. She's my kitty child and I am very attached to her and she's attached to me. She's been an indoor/outdoor kitty for awhile. We got rid of her litter box because she is house trained, like a dog. She scratches at the door to go outside to potty. Then she comes back in. My dilema is for the last few months, my husband keeps getting an allergic reaction to something. His mouth or around his mouth will swell up. We have no idea what from. So the doctor mentioned that cats are the number ONE reason for allergies and asmtha. My husband has both but he tolerates Star (he loves her too, tho he won't admit it.)

So to help this allergy, I put Star outside and not allowing her inside. It breaks my heart because she stares in the window meowing to come in for cuddles with Mom. I visit her outside to help the transition, give her treats, but in the back of my mind, I worry sick because of outdoor dangers. It makes me cry, of course Im hormonal because Im pregnant. I am also alone during the days and Star has been about my only companion. Nothing like purrs and head bumpies to cheer you up. Anyways, since she's been outside, she seems off. Kind of depressed. I hate seeing her like this. My next thing is since she is a cuddler, and sooo very friendly, will she harm my baby? She's quite hefty and I fear she may want to be sweet to my baby and accidently harm her. So being outside seems logical in two ways. Other than her being so sad, will she get over it? My mom who lives pretty far has offered to take care of Star, but she'd only be an indoor cat which is great except my nieces live with her, she hates my nieces, she runs from them every time she hears them, but she's so laid back once they catch her. My mom will no doubt love her and spoil her the way I do, but I will miss her. Just thinking she may have to go, depresses me and makes me tear up, but what should I do? What is best for my husband, my baby, and for Star? What should I do?

Grace
04-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Tell your husband to get tested - to be absolutely certain he is allergic to the cat.

As for Star - if someone you loved for years suddenly shut you out - wouldn't you also be "off"? I sure would.

Congratulations on the pregnancy. Please don't buy into those old-wives tales. I know many, many people who had cats before the kids were born, and not a one of them ever had any problems.

The final decision is up to you.

Karen
04-08-2010, 11:29 AM
First of all, your husband should get his allergies tested, and not just assume it is the cat. Take it from me, there are many, many things that can cause an allergic reaction - I have many of them!

Second, cats are remarkable astute about babies. They will not lie on top of a newborn - it wiggles, smells funny, can erupt into a fire siren-like wail, and can vomit - nothing a cat wants to deal with.

moosmom
04-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I think your doctor is a jerk. Animals are NOT the only cause of allergies and asthma. Plants, shrubs, trees, flowers, dust (in and out of your house) are also huge problems with people who have allergies. Get a second opinion. I feel very sorry for Star. She's been in your life since she was a baby and now you shove her outside??? She's better off with someone else who can truly care about her not just for her, who will keep her inside, away from predators.

I don't mean to sound heartless, as I've had to rehome a couple of my own cats. But not because I got married and had a baby.

If you DO choose to rehome her, please, PLEASE do a very thorough background check including vet names and phone #'s, at least 3 personal references, and a home visit, ask them how they feel about their furniture and what they would do if they saw Star start to scratch their precious belongings. If they mention declawing, reject them. Too many times (I've been in animal rescue for over 14 years) I've seen animals placed in homes that are totally in appropriate. Small children, boyfriends/husbands/significant others that would kick the cat when mad. I could go on but I think you get the idea. There are alot of weirdos out there.

Suggestion: Any friends who can take her and give her a decent home? If I lived close, I'd try and help you place her. Good luck and please keep us posted.

StarandBratsmom
04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I agree the doctor was a jerk.

StarandBratsmom
04-08-2010, 11:55 AM
We want to get my husband tested, but we have no insurance and the tests around here are very expensive. It cost money we simply don't have. So the doctor suggested the cat was probably the reason, I hate people who don't understand about animals. It could just be something on her fur from being outside, or something my husband eats that he's allergic to. He has asmtha too, so that doesn't help with keeping Star inside, that was one of the reasons she became an outdoor inside kitty other than me being pregnant and unable to be around the litterbox.

I am glad to hear cats know not to get on babies. This is my first baby and I have no idea. No one in my family had cats when they had kids.

Karen
04-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I think you can let Star back in, if you wipe her down with a damp cloth when she comes in, that should help get any pollen - which is everywhere this time of year - off her coat. If you can give her a good brushing outside, and then make it a habit of wiping her down - think of it as special petting time - when she comes in, it should cut down on both the pollen, and dander. Keep her out of your bedroom - if your husband IS allergic to her, she should be shedding where he sleeps, and make him wash his hands after he pets her, and to be sure not to touch his face before he washes his hands.

All these steps should help cut down on his reactions whether it is to her or the pollen she is bringing in. And then she, and you humans, can both be happier, and your husband hopefully healthier. Goodness, I cannot imagine being without health insurance as an asthmatic allergic person! The meds I am on now make it possible for me to go months without even needing my albuterol inhaler, except for right now, when there is so much pollen around Paul's blue car looks green!

StarandBratsmom
04-08-2010, 12:13 PM
I think you can let Star back in, if you wipe her down with a damp cloth when she comes in, that should help get any pollen - which is everywhere this time of year - off her coat. If you can give her a good brushing outside, and then make it a habit of wiping her down - think of it as special petting time - when she comes in, it should cut down on both the pollen, and dander. Keep her out of your bedroom - if your husband IS allergic to her, she should be shedding where he sleeps, and make him wash his hands after he pets her, and to be sure not to touch his face before he washes his hands.

All these steps should help cut down on his reactions whether it is to her or the pollen she is bringing in. And then she, and you humans, can both be happier, and your husband hopefully healthier. Goodness, I cannot imagine being without health insurance as an asthmatic allergic person! The meds I am on now make it possible for me to go months without even needing my albuterol inhaler, except for right now, when there is so much pollen around Paul's blue car looks green!

Thank you Karen, that's a great idea. I am sure Star would love that too. My husband doesn't have asthma that often and rarely ever needs his inhalor. I need mine more than he does. Insurance is really high where he works. I have it but only because I am pregnant.

JustineNYC
04-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Tell your husband to get tested - to be absolutely certain he is allergic to the cat.

As for Star - if someone you loved for years suddenly shut you out - wouldn't you also be "off"? I sure would.

Congratulations on the pregnancy. Please don't buy into those old-wives tales. I know many, many people who had cats before the kids were born, and not a one of them ever had any problems.

The final decision is up to you.

THIS.

Everyone told my mom I would be allergic to the cats or they'd smother me or whatever. Her cats didn't go near me once. And my dad cleaned the cat litter while my mom was pregnant.

Please don't rehome your cat. Children do much better (so do their immune systems) when they are raised around animals. And your husband can be allergic to anything. The pollen count is crazy right now, its spring, everyone is allergic right now.

pomtzu
04-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm in agreement with Karen's suggestions. It's certainly worth a try to see if they work and make the allergy issues better. Rehoming would be my very last option, but I fully understand if that is what you feel is best. Don't cry - okay?? Here's a big [[[HUG]]]. :love:

And as for the pollen on the cars - well Paul's blue car is green - and my red car is orange!! And me - it's just sneeze, sneeze, and more sneeze, and I'm living on Benadryl! Luckily, I don't get loopy when I take it! :p

Cataholic
04-08-2010, 12:31 PM
ACK!

This is a subject near and dear to my heart. And, I don't want to anger you with my comments- so read it twice before getting upset.

I have a 5.5 year old- he was/is my first (and only). I can't even remember how many cats I had back then. It was at least 5, but less than 9. I heard so much nonsense about 1) being pregnant, 2) changing the litter box and 3)the cats and he once he was sprung from the belly. NONSENSE! Complete and utter NONSENSE.

I changed the litter pan each and every day for 10 months. I had already HAD toxoplasmosis (which is also easily acquired from raw meat, gardens and produce). I DID opt for extra stringent hand washing during that time, though I was immune anyhow. There isn't any reason a pregnant person can't change a litter box, have a litter box in the house, have a cat that uses a litter box, etc. There is a lot of misinformation out there about cats and pregnant people, and it sounds like your doctor just might be mixed up with that.

The child loves his kitties, and has from day 1. I used a crib tent for a couple of years to keep cats from jumping in there while he was in there- not so much for his safety, though, but as a way to keep him confined. LOL. After about 2, the crib tent came down. Only one cat really ever slept with him then, though today several do. We don't have biting or scratching issues. He is a pretty good cat handler, and cat reader.

As for "allergies" LOLOL. For what seemed EONS I listened to the ped tell me my son had allergies. Uh huh. One trip to the allergist ruled that nonsense out. I listened to the ENT tell me he had allergies and a 'tic' (I guess once I told him the allergies was ruled out he had to throw something else in there). Uh, no. I think the world loves to say that people have allergies (and I know that some people do). But, there are OTHER things that cause symptoms, too. Spring, food, face soap, etc.

There are over the counter 'drugs' that help with seasonal 'allergies'. I just don't see the link between your kitty and your husband's condition (or yours, for that matter).

I am sorry that Moosmom's post upset you. I know her, and her interest when it comes to animal welfare is first and foremost. That was the perspective from which she posted. She wasn't trying to anger you, just wanted to help you adjust your thinking a little bit.

As for your kitty, I, too, would be a bit out of sorts if I wanted in and was restricted to the outside. She is probably wondering what she did wrong. :(

Catty1
04-08-2010, 01:04 PM
There are products at cat stores - wipes and etc - to use on a kitty if there are people who have allergies to it.

A friend of mine had her daughter staying with her for a short time, and also the one dog and two cats. Her daughter got this stuff - wipes? Liquid(that was combed in)? - and it worked like a charm.:)

It's inexpensive - so give it a try and have your Star baby back inside. :):love:

StarandBratsmom
04-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Thank you for your reply. Star seems better now outside. She's been exploring a little bit. I am going to talk to my husband about vacuuming daily, leaving her out of our room, and having him wash his hands. I will also bathe her regularly, she's been trained very well to deal with baths, and of course wipe her down and groom her before she comes in to help with pollen. As for the post earlier, it did make me cry, I kind of felt like she was trying to make me choose between my family and my cat, which both I love dearly. Of course I am at that stage in my pregnancy that I am emotional as it is, everything seems to set me off. I apologize for getting upset, but it really did upset me.

Asiel
04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
I agree with Karen on htis one. Maybe wipinf the cat clean before letting her in will do the trick. Your husband can stay away from her and make sure the cat doen't go near the bed. I bet at this time of year your husband's allergies could come from a lot of other sources as everything is sprouting and blossoming. That's the worst time of year for me.
Rehoming one of my animals would never be an option for me no matter what.I think your doctor might be jumping the gun...trial and error might work wonders.

StarandBratsmom
04-08-2010, 01:29 PM
The doctor was nice until he said, "not saying you need to kill your cat, but.." it really pissed me off. How could anyone say that about an animal, a very much loved animal. I have very little support in being a cat lover where I live other than my Mom. She understands my love for Star and if I absolutely had to rehome her, I'd let my mom keep her. She's got the same type of love for cats as I do and treats to spoil her even more than she already is.

Cataholic
04-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Thank you for your reply. Star seems better now outside. She's been exploring a little bit. .

I am NOT picking on you. But, less than 2 hours ago you posted that Star was NOT doing well outside. How is she now doing better? Did she all of a sudden stop acting depressed and staring at you through the window?

Come on. Your husband is a grown man (presumably). Bring your cat inside- where it wants to be. Do your part- keep her out of the bedroom, vacuum, keep his hands away from the cat. Surely he can deal with what seems to be a mild irritant that might have nothing to do with Star.

She was your cat way before him, and sadly, the way things can work out today in marriages, she might be there long past him. :(

JustineNYC
04-08-2010, 02:00 PM
What happens when she realizes you aren't going to allow her inside ever again and she leaves and you never see her again? I hate to say it but if she isn't getting attention from you, I assume you and your husband work and aren't going to sit outside with her 24/7, she is going to take off and leave, she isn't going to be content staring at you through a window. Then you'll be wondering if someone else is taking care of her, or if shes been hurt or killed. I've seen it before.

catmandu
04-08-2010, 03:25 PM
I agree with Justine , Stars going to become very downhearted and think its somehow her fault that shes not allowed back into the home where she previuosly knew love and companionship.:(:( Stars hurt and is sad because she doesnt know while shes a pariah.:(:(
I think that Doctor is a Cat hater , and is using your husband allergies to strike at Cats.
He sounds like a creep.:mad:
Please let your Prodigal Cat in before something happens that you will never forgive yourself for.
Being with your Mother may not be perfect, but its better than Star being outside.:eek:

carole
04-08-2010, 03:58 PM
firstly it is obvious as to me you love your Star very much ,otherwise why would you even post here,and you are in a difficult situation.

I would like to tell you 99 per cent of all cats in NZ are indoor/outdoor as are mine, i am not saying it is the perfect way to be and i really am preferring indoor cats only, but it is the way here.

As for allergies,let me tell you i have been allergic to cats for many years, infact i never owned a cat for over 15 years, until my beloved Ash turned up on my doorstep, and my then young daughter begged for him to stay, so you see i had four kitties,and i am still allergic, but i take medication now and then,not too often, and i don't fuss with bathing cats,or doing anything, and they sleep in our room at nights,all three sometimes, and on the bed,my allergy has not gone,but improved so much because i have put myself in amongst it all and desensitised my self ,well that is the only explanation i have for it.

As for cats sleeping on babies,well i am sure it does happen, but how often, and really it is up to you as a responsible parent to see that it does not happen,just as you would make sure your child is protected from all harm at any time.

I do feel for you and it is hard to know what to do for the best for everyone,but i think it would be wrong to re-home her at this stage,as it might not even be the cause , there are so many allergens out there, and your Doctor obviously was not a cat lover from his absurd comments.

If worse comes to worse and you do decide to re-home her, make sure it is with someone who will love her as much as you do and you can visit,but honestly that would be the last resort.

As for Donna, i am sorry you felt upset by her comments, but i as many here do know her pretty well, she has a heart of gold, would give you the shirt off her back,and she means well ,so don't take it to heart,she has Star's best interest at heart, as i am sure you do as well.

Asiel
04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
The doctor was nice until he said, "not saying you need to kill your cat, but.." it really pissed me off. How could anyone say that about an animal, a very much loved animal. I have very little support in being a cat lover where I live other than my Mom. She understands my love for Star and if I absolutely had to rehome her, I'd let my mom keep her. She's got the same type of love for cats as I do and treats to spoil her even more than she already is.

Well, doctors aren't Gods and he doesn't own the cat so you can make up your own mind. If you absolutely have to rehome her your mom sounds like an ideal candidate. But I think in time your husband would get used to having the cat indoors, he could stay away as much as possible. And don't worry about the cat sleeping on the baby, lots of my friends have cats and had babies, it never happened to any of them. Sounds like you've made up your mind on keeping her indoors with you, it'll all work out in the end and you'll be glad you weren't hasty.

Catlady711
04-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Has your hubby been any better with the break outs around his mouth since Star has been outside? If not then it might not be the cat at all.

Also you can pick up poison ivy from a pet. One of my co-workers and I both broke out in a horrible rash from a dog that gets into it alot. We now have a note on the file so either someone else can handle the dog, or we have to throw a towel over it and wash really good afterwards, we haven't had a problem since.

StarandBratsmom
04-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I am NOT picking on you. But, less than 2 hours ago you posted that Star was NOT doing well outside. How is she now doing better? Did she all of a sudden stop acting depressed and staring at you through the window?

Come on. Your husband is a grown man (presumably). Bring your cat inside- where it wants to be. Do your part- keep her out of the bedroom, vacuum, keep his hands away from the cat. Surely he can deal with what seems to be a mild irritant that might have nothing to do with Star.

She was your cat way before him, and sadly, the way things can work out today in marriages, she might be there long past him. :(

I know I had said that she seemed off a few hours before replying to post but she really was at least to me it seemed. She's used to being outside, since she is an outdoor/inside kitty but she wanted in and it broke my heart to say no to her. Then she just acted like she was sad, napping. I was super super upset when I wrote my first post. Then after awhile, she seemed better, she woke up and did her usual thing, explore around the yard, eat, drink, and was more like her normal self. I think I AM TAKING IT WAY HARDER than her.

I did learn a lesson today though, next time I have a cat problem, I definitely won't be coming here. After a day of the comments making me cry, it's not worth it, I will figure out my problems on my own. So much for the support.

Grace
04-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Hey everyone. It's been awhile since I've visited here, I hope everyone is doing great. Alot has changed for me, I got married last summer, and now I am pregnant and due to have my daughter in July. Star has been with me pretty much the whole time.

Just thinking she may have to go, depresses me and makes me tear up, but what should I do? What is best for my husband, my baby, and for Star? What should I do?

I did learn a lesson today though, next time I have a cat problem, I definitely won't be coming here. After a day of the comments making me cry, it's not worth it, I will figure out my problems on my own. So much for the support.

And your signature - Do you have an opinion?

I'm sorry you're upset; but you did ask for help, for opinions. And you got them. Granted, not every post was what you wanted to hear - but we stated our opinions, gave you suggestions to solve your problem.

I hope you can resolve this problem without too much more angst - especially for Star.

Catty1
04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Hon, next time you are in a pet store, just ask about the allergy stuff. The answer could be really simple and inexpensive.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Scooter's Mom
04-09-2010, 02:48 AM
A domesticated cat, especially one who has been an indoor cat their whole life, does not belong outdoors. I believe that if you cannot provide her the shelter she deserves, yes - you should rehome Star.

Being outdoors exposes her to not only predators such as wildlife (coyotes) but cars and weather extremes in addition to disease even if she has been vaccinated.

Good luck in your decision. I know it can't be an easy one and must be weighing heavily on your mind.

kb2yjx
04-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Please read the story of the Cat of the Day today, Friday. Please bring Star back inside. And LOVE her!!!

StarandBratsmom
04-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Hey everyone, it's a whole new day. I have had the chance to calm down, and so has Star. Star has NOT been an indoor cat, she has been mostly an outdoor cat with visitations both inside and outside. I live in a safe place otherwise, she wouldn't be allowed outside at all. She's be heartbroken if she weren't allowed to go outside and catch bugs and eat grass. I know because we lived in an apartment briefly. What made her sad was, our morning cuddles. Instead of them being indoors, they were outdoors. I promise you, I did not ignore her. I can't ignore her, every time I looked at her I cried. I was outside every hour playing with her. Then a couple hours later, she seemed to have gotten over not coming inside and returned to her normal self. I believe this whole ordeal was harder on me than it was on her. Keep in mind, I am just about 7 months pregnant and I am at the overly emotional stage not to mention suffer from depression.

As for the very blunt answers and opinions, yes they were not what I wanted to hear, and maybe I should have been a little more clear on how much I LOVE MY STAR, but I strongly believe we cat people can accept that not all cats are meant to be indoors. Like I said, Star absolutely loves being outside, she likes inside too. She's not completely helpless, and she isn't declawed.

Last night when my husband got home, we decided that Star could be inside, just not in our bedroom and we would deep clean every day and I will wipe her down to reduce the amount of allergens.

Yes his allergies got better after he being outside, but yesterday at work he developed another swelling, but he's on medicine and it helped. There is no telling what exactly causes his allergies but I do know I have such an awesome husband and I'd do anything for him. It was all his idea last night to keep Star in, and he's willing to tolerate a little uncomfort for my happiness and Star. Now you guys can see why I'd do anything for him, he's such a wonderful man who truly loves me.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Asiel
04-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Great news about Star, and yourselves. Seems as if everything is resolved to everyone's benefit.

catmandu
04-09-2010, 09:22 AM
I am sorry if I said anything hurtful to you , I just reacted without really thinking things through:confused:
I should have realized that you would do nothing that would hurt Star at all.
Theres too much love between you, and tahts not a lot of fun for your husband to have those sores.:(
Are they better now?:love:
Again apologies from Me for jumping to conclusions.
As the Mohawks used to say walk a mile in anothers moccasins before you judge.:love::love::love:

moosmom
04-09-2010, 09:48 AM
While I appreciate it, I wish people would stop trying to make excuses for my opinions.

The opinions are mine and I'm not budging one iota.

When I posted what I did, it was just after returning from my friend's house (also an animal advocate). She was on her way home and saw a beautiful orange boy DEAD ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. Some a-hole hit him and left him like yesterday's trash. We all chipped in and had him respectfully cremated. It's what he deserved. At one time he was someone's pet, just like Star is to you.

And why is it (and don't tell me it doesn't happen alot) that when the miracle of pregnancy comes around, the beloved pet becomes disposable???

Someone has to stand up for the animals. I'm a diehard animal person and will not apologize for the way I feel. Oh, and I also suffer from depression and PTSD.

If you live anywhere near CT, let me know. Maybe I can help you find a home for Star.

StarandBratsmom
04-09-2010, 11:11 AM
While I appreciate it, I wish people would stop trying to make excuses for my opinions.

The opinions are mine and I'm not budging one iota.

When I posted what I did, it was just after returning from my friend's house (also an animal advocate). She was on her way home and saw a beautiful orange boy DEAD ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. Some a-hole hit him and left him like yesterday's trash. We all chipped in and had him respectfully cremated. It's what he deserved. At one time he was someone's pet, just like Star is to you.

And why is it (and don't tell me it doesn't happen alot) that when the miracle of pregnancy comes around, the beloved pet becomes disposable???

Someone has to stand up for the animals. I'm a diehard animal person and will not apologize for the way I feel. Oh, and I also suffer from depression and PTSD.

If you live anywhere near CT, let me know. Maybe I can help you find a home for Star.

I am really sorry you had to see that pour orange boy out on the streets and its very sweet and caring of you to cremate him. It makes me sad too seeing ANY animal on the road dead.

I am not sure if you have an issue with pregnant people but the life that is growing inside of me, is precious and I look forward to her arrival. I am not one of those kind of people that disposes my pets when a baby arrives. Like I had mentioned earlier, I am keeping Star, she's an indoor/outdoor cat because that is what makes her happiest, I live in a very safe place, and I am always checking on her. If it does come down to it, my Mom, who is also an animal lover especially cats, will take care of her for me. Star is not in any danger what so ever, I promise you that.

I do have to hand it to you, you are passionate about animals. So am I, just not the same opinions as you and thats ok, we are free to have our opinions.

Cataholic
04-09-2010, 11:42 AM
What happened to your other cat, Brat?

I am glad you found something that seems like it will work. With your husband having another issue while at work, it really seems unlikely that it is Star.
With the both of you having asthma (that is how I understood it) your child will prolly have it to. I believe, as someone else posted, MORE exposure to things from an early age can be helpful in not developing allergies. I am not saying that allergies and asthma are the same, but, they seem to go hand in hand with one another. I don't know a person that has asthma that doesn't have allergies..though I do know people with allergies that don't have asthma.

What ever you do/did, I hope it works.

moosmom
04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
StarandBratsmom,

So we'll agree to disagree and still be friends.. That what happens here. Everyone has their own opinions on different subjects.

My only concern with Star being outside are predators. But as long as she's indoors at night, she should be safe. And I was very serious about finding Star a home if that's what you decide.

It's very easy to introduce a newborn to Star. You just have to do it in a gradual way. Before the baby comes home, take a baby blanket and rub the baby's head with it. Bring it home and let Star sniff it. When you bring the baby home, have hubby carry the infant in while to pamper over Star. If you don't want Star in the baby's room, close the door and get one of those baby monitors.

I hope things work out for you. I'd definitely have hubby tested for allergies. It may be as simple as dust in your house. But you'll never know till you test for it.

I do not have anything against pregnant women. I was one myself MANY years ago. But I read about pregnant women who read crap about sucking the air out of the baby, etc., all wive's tails. I also know the hormonal mood swings. Fun, huh??

I wish you luck and please keep me posted. If there is anything I can do on my end, if it comes down to finding Star a new home, please let me know. I have alot of contacts. I'm glad your mom offered to take her IF there's a problem. Try to relax and concentrate on that precious cargo you've got. Who knows?? Maybe the baby and Star will be the best of buds once they get used to each other.

StarandBratsmom
04-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I still have Brat but he's at my uncle's house. My uncle is way attached to him, so I let Brat go there since he's not really fond of Star. He's a fat, happy, healthy, spoiled rascal. :-)

Moosmom,

Thank you saying you'd help if I needed to rehome Star. I appreciate that. I have heard things about babies being suffocated, but since I know better, I don't believe it, especially when I will be watching my baby like a hawk. It's crazy how people are so quick to talk bad about cats when you hear more dog attacking kids on the news.

Karen
04-09-2010, 02:42 PM
I am not saying that allergies and asthma are the same, but, they seem to go hand in hand with one another. I don't know a person that has asthma that doesn't have allergies..though I do know people with allergies that don't have asthma.

What ever you do/did, I hope it works.

Both asthma, and allergies are the body's own immune system reacting inappropriately in response to things, so they are closely linked. And it is genetic, in recent years scientists have begun to agree with that - something I have known all along!

king2005
04-11-2010, 12:08 AM
My sister is expecting in Sept & she has 3 cats. They are moving into a 2bdr apt very soon & the 2nd room will be for humans only. All cats will be banned from that room. The only change that is going to happen is that Pluto will be declawed. He is a bit sketchy & my sister has been wanting it done before she knew about the baby, as he doesn't understand that clawing humans is a bad thing. He'll be banned from the baby 100%. The other 2 will be just fine & will be welcomed near the baby.

My sister also know that babies are sensitive to things touching their skin, so the kitties wont be allowed to touch the baby until its older to prevent skin itchies.

My sister uses a painters mask & thick rubber gloves to deal with the litter box once in a while (her b/f is good at cleaning it, but sometimes its extra stinky so it needs to be done randomly). Once shes done she goes straight into the kitchen to scrub her hands very well.

***my not so friendly opinion, read with caution***

The kitties are all indoors, as the outdoors kills thousands of cats & many get worms, ticks, & fleas ewwww... oh not to mention cat fights, scars, ripped ears, eye loss, attacked by dogs, kicked, thrown, oh & these two are my fav from back home... poisoned & nailed to trees alive!! Just what kitty always wanted!!

One lady moved into the neighbourhood & had several cats that had babies.. there were DOZEN of cats running around the neighbourhood tormenting everyone. Cause cat poop in your yard is so awesome!!! Oh & all the dead birds at the bird feeder was great too!! Just what everyone always wanted!!

One month later there were about 6 cats left. The other were all killed. Some were thrown into tubs of water to drown, a couple were eaten by the neighbours dogs, many were splattered all over the road, & so many of them were dead all over her yard from being poisoned.

Sometimes people need to rethink how they treat their cats. Sure kitty is happy outside playing in the grass, but how do you think kitty feels being nailed to trees, looses an eye, or gets poisoned? Highly doubt kitty thinks thats any fun. Also think about how the neighbours think with having all the little birds ripped to shreds on their lawns feel, or stepping in cat poop on their lawn?

Cats don't know whats best for them in a human society, but humans do.

Cam (my almost 1yr old cat) enjoys being outside in the yard, on her LEASH! Shes comes outside with Digi (dog) & I from time to time, to enjoy the grass & sun. My friend has a tie out in her back yard for her cat. Both our cats wear a Harness. Cam is never alone outside & neither is her cat. She puts her dog out at the same time to watch the cat (mostly to ensure a stray dog or cat doesn't get into the yard, cause he'll chase it off). She checks on the cat often to make sure he is ok (just like people do with their dogs).

I HATE (strong word, but I mean it) loose cats.
This is my opinion & I stand very firm on the subject.

Cataholic
04-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Gosh, king, I sure hope you can talk some sense into your sister with the declawing of her cat! The cat will likely stay far away from a baby as it will make sudden and startlingly noises. No need to declaw it!! Is she planning on removing all the cats teeth, too, in case they bite?

carole
04-11-2010, 02:29 PM
well King you had better never come to New Zealand, and yes i have to agree with Johanna,i think declawing is absolutely barbaric,and it is illegal here, i hope she rethinks her decision.,like you I am firm with my opinion on that subject.

king2005
04-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Gosh, king, I sure hope you can talk some sense into your sister with the declawing of her cat! The cat will likely stay far away from a baby as it will make sudden and startlingly noises. No need to declaw it!! Is she planning on removing all the cats teeth, too, in case they bite?

The cat has mental issues, & he spazzes out randomly with just the claws. One attack nearly sent my sister to the hospital for stitches, it was THAT bad. We are both very much against declawing (why we've put it off for so long), but this cat has major mental issues & the vets have no idea whats wrong with him. So Declawing him is for everyones safety, including the other cats, as he has randomly spazzed out on them & sent them to the vets. Hes a good cat & a cuddle bug, but it takes 1 second for him to be a totally different animal. Thats why it's only HIM & not the other 2. Sure my sister & others have been nicked by the other cats, but they are mentally stable.

Before my sister got Pluto he was in & out of the shelter for his spazzes. He would have been put down long ago if it wasn't for my sister taking him in & trying to deal with his crazy spazzes. He is a lot better then he was, but he is still very much dangerous (not his fault).

I've had to deal with him when he was spazzing out & it was scary & hard. I didn't want to hurt him, but he was totally out of his mind. I tried pushing him away, then it was gentle tosses. After I could get him to snap out of it I scuffed him hard & tossed him onto my sister's bed & closed the door, he tried to go through the door. he was crazy mad for no reason.

Trust me, neither of us want to do this to him, but its better then the alternative (if he goes back to the shelter he has a death sentence waiting for him, & no one out there wants him, her friends don't even want him, they watch him like a hawk when they visit).

Neither option is good, but at least this one will allow him to be alive.

carole
04-11-2010, 03:20 PM
ok well you do have special circumstances here,have you explored every other alternative though, like meds etc.

I guess it must be very hard to go ahead and do this when you are against it yourselves, so i do understand,thanks for explaining the situation further.

king2005
04-11-2010, 03:30 PM
ok well you do have special circumstances here,have you explored every other alternative though, like meds etc.

I guess it must be very hard to go ahead and do this when you are against it yourselves, so i do understand,thanks for explaining the situation further.

Shes had him for 3yrs & we've been putting it off for that long cause we just couldn't do that to him, but with the baby on the way... its not an easy decision by far. :(

He's been in & out of the vets office (several different vets) since before she got him. They've tried many things & nothing seems to work, or they make him so ill he can't move (far more cruel then declawing him IMO). We all love him, he IS family so he wont be going anywhere, but the declawing has to happen now. I told her to get it done before the move & LONG before the baby is due so he doesn't associate those things with the operation. It should be done within the month, but she wants to research more on how to keep it clean & to ensure it gets done the best way possible.

king2005
04-11-2010, 03:37 PM
oh, she has a really good vet, so it wont be done in the back alley sort of operation. This is the only vet that understands Spliff's vet issues (she was horribly abused by a vet several yrs ago, my sister is still traumatized by it too, & I still want to hunt him down). Spliff seeks comfort with dogs, as she use to run to my old dog for comfort when scared & he would protect her. So when Spliff goes to the vet they bring her to the dog room & do everything with the dogs barking at her. She calms right down & lets the vets touch her & she doesn't pee in fear, nor does she attack anyone (she was gentle as a mouse before she was abused). When she has to stay for the day, shes in a kennel in the dog room. My sister is also banned from being in the same room as Spliff at the vets cause she saw the abuse & the second Spliff meows or cowers my sister cries uncontrollably & shakes like a leaf.

My sister loves those cats just like children, if not more then many parents I've seen.

moosmom
04-11-2010, 04:10 PM
King2005,

Your story reminded me of when I was helping foster a Siamese cat (older) for the MI Meezer Rescue. When I tell you this cat had ME cornered, I'm not kidding. She would not let me anywhere near the door to get out. I finally distracted her long enough to get to the other door before she came after me, so I know what you're talking about.

Meezer Rescue took her back and put her in another foster home. They renamed her Sybil. Gee, I wonder why??:rolleyes:

Cataholic
04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
King- I knew one person that had nearly the same description of the cat as with your sister's. It was horrific, and she was beside herself with what to do. I think she finally had him PTS, rightfully or wrongfully, it wasn't my position to judge, as I had never experienced what she had.

So, my thoughts are with you and your sister. Sometimes....sometimes...you have to look at the whole picture. My best to you guys with this.