PDA

View Full Version : My little mans having surgery...

JustineNYC
04-07-2010, 07:52 PM
I haven't posted in a while, but some of you may remember Irwin and his urinary problems/ spraying. He was put on Clomicalm last year which did nothing, I now believe his spraying is not behavioral but because his bladder hurts him. We've had urinary problems again lately, so back to the vet we went, they did an ultrasound and they said his bladder looks like a snow globe with all the small stones floating around.

Hes got the FLUTD and hes always been on a special diet, but we still have flare ups here and there and last week he pee'd in the sink stones that I could pick up with my fingers.

So Friday, he goes in for a cystotomy, so they can flush his urethra and bladder out, and we will start over and hope this helps him!

Wish us luck!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs445.ash1/24545_1344451696296_1381370960_31139371_1239840_n. jpg

DriftyAlison0
04-07-2010, 08:44 PM
I am keeping your little man in my thoughts and prayers.

I got a female cat named Peaches who looks almost exactly like your guy. He could be her twin.

krazyaboutkatz
04-08-2010, 12:33 AM
I remember you both and I'm so sorry that he's still having problems.:( My Storm was blocked two times and he had struvite crystals and some scar tissue. The ER vet then recommended PU surgery which then widens his urethra so he pees more like a female. He was around 8 when he had the surgery and now he's 14 and doing great.:)

One thing that I have changed is his diet. He's been on a grain free diet for a few years now and this has helped him from getting any more UTI's which he would sometimes get with his prescription diet. He mainly eats canned food mixed with some water which I feel is the key for any cat that has urinary problems. He's on Innova Evo canned and dry and also some canned Natures Variety Instinct. I hope that everything will go well with Irwin's surgery and that he'll heal quickly. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

catmandu
04-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Prayers are coming for Dear Irwin , and when Irwin goes in for surgery Our Awesome Angels Visitors will be there with treats and toys for him to play with and snack on and keep him company whiles hes away from his Loving Family.:love::love:
Irwins:love::):cool: such a Treasure , we pray that all goes well with his surgery.:D:D:D

kb2yjx
04-08-2010, 09:41 AM
O what a FACE!!! Will remember your sweet Irwin as his " day " is coming up!!! There will be a candle lit for him....

JustineNYC
04-08-2010, 11:10 AM
I remember you both and I'm so sorry that he's still having problems.:( My Storm was blocked two times and he had struvite crystals and some scar tissue. The ER vet then recommended PU surgery which then widens his urethra so he pees more like a female. He was around 8 when he had the surgery and now he's 14 and doing great.:)

One thing that I have changed is his diet. He's been on a grain free diet for a few years now and this has helped him from getting any more UTI's which he would sometimes get with his prescription diet. He mainly eats canned food mixed with some water which I feel is the key for any cat that has urinary problems. He's on Innova Evo canned and dry and also some canned Natures Variety Instinct. I hope that everything will go well with Irwin's surgery and that he'll heal quickly. I'll keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

I think that's something that contributes to his problems, he never ever drinks water. So now we are blending his meals with a cup of water to make sure he is hydrated.

I ran him to our ER clinic in the middle of the night last week cause he was crying in his litter box and didnt pass any urine, I was afraid he was blocked, he wasnt and they sent us home with Tramadol. Only time he stopped spraying was when he was on Tramadol so I no longer believe this is behavioral, I think his bladder hurts him, and from what they saw, hes got all these stones and some of them are merging with others and getting bigger, it must be real painful.

They put him back on C/d again. Anyone have success on CD? They told me a prescription diet is needed to keep his PH in check. For the last 2 years Irwin has been on a pre-packaged raw diet so we could avoid grains.

krazyaboutkatz
04-08-2010, 11:29 AM
I think that some people here do have their cats on C/D. Storm used to be on Royal Canin Urinary S/O both canned and dry and this food helps both struvite and calcium oxalate crystals. It sounds like he has bladder stones so hopefully when they're removed he'll feel much better. I'm not sure what kind of diet is recommended for this though. Good luck.:)

JustineNYC
04-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Yea, they looked at his urine under a slide and said they didn't see crystals, but his bladders got sand grain sized stones floating around. :(