PDA

View Full Version : Sudilar could you post back Thanks

sam
02-06-2001, 03:25 PM
I was wanting to know if you have owned your gsd's since puppyhood? If so what are some ideas about crate training v.s. paper training a gsd Did you have any problems with crying/whining @night? At what age do you start a more formalized training with this type of dog? Are they or have you noted a tendancy for destruction in your yard or house. Do you need a choke collar? Or will a normal nylon leed work with this big dog breed. Sorry for all the questions. I would like to be well informed. Sam http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Sudilar
02-06-2001, 06:09 PM
Hi, Sam,

We got our first GSD (Wolf) when he was about 9 weeks old. Since he just left his mother and siblings, we decided to sleep on the family room floor with him and close off that room. He did whine for a little while, but we kept petting him and he settled down. That lasted about 3 days and then we tried leaving him with a ticking clock. (They say it sounds like his mother's heartbeat.) All of this worked. He did not whine very much at all after that first night. I did not work, so it was easy to train him. I was able to let him out numerous times during the day. It really didn't take long to potty train him, either! Up to the age of about 9 months or so, you have to watch them for chewing up things. One day Wolf chewed up my wedding album that was on display on the cocktail table. That was about the only major damage he ever did. (He just chewed the ends of it...It was too much of a temptation on the table.) We owned him back in the 70's, so formal dog training wasn't as common as it is nowadays. My husband trained him on his own. He was very, very easy to train!!! He was so obedient. In those days, we used a choke collar because there were really no other choices for such a big, powerful dog. (German line, large-boned.) That worked very well. In fact, when we walked him, he used to carry his lead in his mouth as he heeled next to us! As for the destruction in the yard, he did like to dig a hole to China! He'd work on it for a while and then we'd fill it back up. Since he was such a big dog, though, the grass in our yard was not prize-winning!
The two GSDs I own now were acquired at 2 1/2 years and 9 months from the shelter. We got the 2 1/2 yr. old first. He was fully potty trained and had no problems adjusting. He was not crate trained. He had the run of the house with no problems from day one. Two years later, we adopted a 9 month old. For her safety (till we could trust the two together when we weren't home) she was crated for a short time. This was for about a month and then we just baby-gated them in different, but adjoining rooms. In less than 2 months, we could leave them both together in the house when we were home or not. There were no problems with this either. Each of them went for obedience training shortly after we adopted them and graduated with flying colors. The younger is in Agility now, too. Neither of these two dig holes in the yard, but the grass is no prize-winner again, because of their big feet!! There has been no destruction in my house. They do destroy all their dog toys, though! My youngest one is very strong and I use a prong collar on her for training and walks. It works wonderfully. I hope I answered your questions. If you need clarification or have any more to ask, please do!

Sue

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***

sam
02-08-2001, 10:54 AM
sudilar,

did you use a crate to potty train your gsd's
or did you use the paper training method?

Sudilar
02-08-2001, 01:27 PM
On my puppy, I used the paper training method. It really didn't take him long to figure out what he was supposed to do. GSDs are a very smart breed. My other two were rescues (2 1/2 and 9 months), they were both potty trained already. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Sue

------------------
***Save a life, ADOPT***