PDA

View Full Version : I have a new drawing, can someone critique it?

JuniorxMyxLove
04-06-2010, 02:14 PM
So...someone on another forum asked me to draw their grandmother's horse as a birthday present. Yay, right?

Eh, not so much. I don't really like the drawing, and STUPID Felix got into my pencils and scattered them around the house so I had to do the whole thing with a 2B and a 5H pencil (waaah, I want my 6B back!) I got as much darkness as I could with the 3B that I found this morning (I didn't want to press harder so I just kept making more and more and more layers lol) It's like...typical! The first time anyone ever asks me to draw them something, it looks like poop.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t75/xxOHFxx/Riding/SDC10290.jpg

-_-

Sorry the picture is a little dark...stupid lights in this room aren't working right now so I can't get very good lighting in here.

Buut.....I need it to come out somewhat good. Which is where you guys come in Please critique?! The only things I will say are that I STINK at hair (hence the mane) and that I guess on a few parts (some of the chest, the ears, and the bottom half of the nostrils) because they were either cut off, covered by a logo, or...not there in the original pic 0.0 [I messed up a little on the neck to had to improvise on the chest area to compensate]

Be mean, be harsh, be whatever.

I know it's kinda hard to really critique without the original photo, so if you want to see the reference picture, PM me [I don't want to put it on here without the owner's permission]

Karen
04-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Doesn't look too bad, PM me the original picture?

Don't get too freaked out about hair/the mane, you needn't draw every strand, just think of it as one big shape, and where it is darker, add actual strands and texture. Does that make sense?

I think it need a bit more forelock above the right eye, so it doesn't look like its head is caved in as much!

JuniorxMyxLove
04-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Doesn't look too bad, PM me the original picture?

Don't get too freaked out about hair/the mane, you needn't draw every strand, just think of it as one big shape, and where it is darker, add actual strands and texture. Does that make sense?

I think it need a bit more forelock above the right eye, so it doesn't look like its head is caved in as much!

That makes perfect sense, and in theory I should be perfect at drawing any kind of hair (human, equine)...but when it comes down to it, it always ALWAYS looks bad. That's why I have two drawings right now that are just kinda empty holes where the hair should be...I'm putting off doing that lol.

Ooh...good point. It was hard to tell exactly how much was there so I just kinda went HMM and put a few strands there lol. I'll try and add some more :]

Pinot's Mom
04-06-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm no art critic, but...

From the Horse's perspective, look at his left side of the head. The ear is in an odd position, too close to the middle, and the left eye looks asleep (if it's supposed to, then that's good!).

Karen
04-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Okay, I have seen the original picture now, and have more input.

As well as the shape of the head that I mentioned before, both ears are facing forward in the original, so you need to fix he one on the right. For what the rest of the ears would look like size-wise, go to pet of the Day and search for horses, and I am sure you will find plenty of examples. The ears looks kinda small now.

Hair really isn't that hard, just think of it as "shading" but with long strokes. Nothing to be afraid of, okay?

I also hope there's more to the page, so her muzzle isn't right on the edge. I know it is in the original picture, but that's the advantage of an illustration, one can enhance reality!

pomtzu
04-06-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm no art critic either and I wish I had even a fraction of your talent!

Something doesn't look right about the nose/nostrils, but I can't put my finger on it

JuniorxMyxLove
04-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Okay, I have seen the original picture now, and have more input.

As well as the shape of the head that I mentioned before, both ears are facing forward in the original, so you need to fix he one on the right. For what the rest of the ears would look like size-wise, go to pet of the Day and search for horses, and I am sure you will find plenty of examples. The ears looks kinda small now.

Hair really isn't that hard, just think of it as "shading" but with long strokes. Nothing to be afraid of, okay?

I also hope there's more to the page, so her muzzle isn't right on the edge. I know it is in the original picture, but that's the advantage of an illustration, one can enhance reality!

Yeah I'm not really sure what happened with the ears, bahaha. I was kinda basing them off Brooke's ears but she's got big floppy ears so I made them smaller...I guess too small. Yeah, I can see that.

There's about half an inch between the edge of the muzzle and the bottom of the page...woulda been more but I didn't really plan this drawing out, just drew and I and worked outwards from there teehee.

Thank you so much!

I'm no art critic either and I wish I had even a fraction of your talent!

Something doesn't look right about the nose/nostrils, but I can't put my finger on it

hehe thanks :)

Yeah, they look funny. But from what I could see (there was the name of a forum over the nostrils) that's kinda how they were shaped. Ah well, I'll just stick 'em on the "to fix" list haha.

Alysser
04-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Horses are not my forte either, I like cartoon animals mostly and have never tried drawing a person although I may attempt to in the near future (Zachary Quinto;)yum) But we'll see if that ever happens!

Anyway, I am quite the fan of your drawings. I liked this one alot, I think you're being to hard on yourself. The only thing I can say is the leg looks a bit thin? But I have not seen the original picture, so I wouldn't know. :rolleyes:

Vette
04-06-2010, 06:16 PM
As others have mentioned the right ear looks a bit funky,, but i think the left ear looks good. also maybe try adding more layers to the mane so that it appears to be thicker/poofier then what it is. especially in the forelock area maybe. otherwise i think it looks good.

Pinot's Mom
04-06-2010, 06:37 PM
As others have mentioned the right ear looks a bit funky,, but i think the left ear looks good. also maybe try adding more layers to the mane so that it appears to be thicker/poofier then what it is. especially in the forelock area maybe. otherwise i think it looks good.

FYI: when I said the left ear, it was from the perspective of the horse. His left, appearing on our right.

Vette
04-06-2010, 06:38 PM
^ aye. but everyone i know says it the opposite. so i tend to do the same LOL
so from the horse POV itd be the right one i think looks fine.

sorry for the confusion.

Marigold2
04-06-2010, 08:38 PM
It's really really good, very life like.

lvpets2002
04-07-2010, 02:45 PM
:eek: WoW I think it looks Great.. You are a very good Artist with Great Talent..