PDA

View Full Version : Brushing breakthrough!

king2005
04-06-2010, 01:47 AM
Today was the first time Digi has allowed me to brush her body, usually I can only brush her ears & the second the brush goes near anywhere past her neck she freaks out & if I ry to keep brushing her she'll scream & pee in fear. Not today though :D

She let me brush her hips & hind legs with no fighting. She seemed to be enjoying it (held her head funny, as if you were scratching her butt (another thing she wont allow))

I was able to FILL a No-Frills grocery bag full of hair I got from her hips & there is still more wanting to come out, but after 30 mins she had enough of the brush & was bitting at it & trying to get her back away from it, so I stopped & played with her for being such a brave girl :D

Only took 3yrs to finally brush her :rolleyes:

I'm so proud of her! Shes slowly maturing into a normal dog. Sure many things are taking much longer for her to learn/do due to her mental issues, but it's all turning out for the best. Shes not a mental case anymore.. hasn't had a fit/freak out for well over 1.5yrs :D

I can now also send her fur to the farm so I can finally get my Digi Mitts.. well I need to brush her more, but now its actually possible lol

MonicanHonda
04-06-2010, 09:02 AM
That's so exciting! It's great to hear how hard you have worked with Digi!!! Breakthroughs always feel so great!

As for the Digi Mitts (I think that sounds so cute Lol)... I think that is so cool! I would totally do it if I had a long haired dog. I know my cousin had a Norwegian Elkhound, and she got a hat made.

happylabs
04-06-2010, 09:38 AM
That is wonderful! Once they learn that it is a positive experience they do love it.

king2005
04-06-2010, 01:23 PM
That's so exciting! It's great to hear how hard you have worked with Digi!!! Breakthroughs always feel so great!

As for the Digi Mitts (I think that sounds so cute Lol)... I think that is so cool! I would totally do it if I had a long haired dog. I know my cousin had a Norwegian Elkhound, and she got a hat made.

You can get Mitts made from short dog hair & from guard hair, it'll just need to me mixed with either sheep wool or Alpaca hair... However I would recommend not wearing them as they would be soooo itchy!! Or you could just get it turned into Yarn & keep the ball as a memento of your pooch :)

king2005
04-06-2010, 01:24 PM
That is wonderful! Once they learn that it is a positive experience they do love it.

My old dog use to LOVE being brushed for hours, he also loved being vacuumed. THe second he'd see it he would get all excited & would lay on the floor to get done first.. once he was done, then we could do the floor lol

Karen
04-06-2010, 01:58 PM
So glad she is gaining confidence and maturity every day! She looks so much like a Sheltie in the face, and the office Sheltie at my last job didn't like getting brushed either, but in his case, he had such a thick undercoat, I don't think his people brushed him often enough to get him used to it. Digi certainly isn't puffy like a Sheltie, though, but it is good that she's allowing the brushing! She'll be even more beautiful now!

king2005
04-06-2010, 03:50 PM
I brushed her again today & she enjoyed it again, WOOHOO! I was hoping yesterday wasn't just a fluke. I didn't get as much fur out of her this time, but I think I got the majority of the undercoat on her hips & hind legs. The fur on her body didn't have much if any undercoat so nothing was coming out. But I was able to brush her elbows well & the hair on the back of her front legs are MUCH longer . Her crazy elbow hair is also longer, its not sticking out anymore, its now droopy lol

MonicanHonda
04-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Lol elbow hair... That's good to hear that it wasn't just a one time thing!

king2005
04-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Lol elbow hair... That's good to hear that it wasn't just a one time thing!

Her Elbow hair is crazy.. it doesn't match her front end at all lol
Dad says its doggie version of armpit hair, so she must be french lol

ps. I know not all french females are hairy :P

K9karen
04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Awwwwwwwwww..! That's a GOOD Digi-Wigi girl! I'm so proud of you! Mz Logan says to tell you that brushing feels good (xcept near the heine).We're so happy you're becoming a grown up girl (but keep some of the puppy in ya forever) Sending you lots of hugs and kisses!!!!! :love: