PDA

View Full Version : Six Orphans

Miss Meow
10-17-2002, 04:48 PM
I was speaking to Yvonne the mad cat lady last night. She's the lady from whom I got Mini and Jasmine and she also boards cats.

I could hear tiny little kitten squeaks in the background so I asked who they were. She rescued six one-week-old kittens whose mother was killed by someone :( :( :( I don't know the full story, but it sounds quite dreadful, so Yvonne rescued the little babies. They are now three weeks old. They are domestic short hairs, and each one is a different patchwork colour (calico, cream and white, biscuit and white, blue and black etc).

I have already found a place in my heart for these orphans. I'm not sure how to broach the subject with Shane. Surely another couple of mouths to feed won't kill us, will it??? I might wait until we move, they'll be about 9 weeks old by then and Shane will melt when he sees them.

Lillycat
10-17-2002, 05:14 PM
Miss Meow- how sad:( What a wonderful person to hand raise six babies...that is alot of work. Do you mean you might take on six new babies? Where (what part of the country) are these kitties? Good luck bringing Shane around. I am sure once he sees them, he will melt. :)

moosmom
10-17-2002, 05:20 PM
I think Lilycat is right, once Shane sees them, his heart will melt.

Wow, that lady has her hands full! Hand raising 6 orphans is alot of work. Especially when they're that young. You have to hand feed them every 2-3 hours and then make them poop and pee. I did it with 3 orphans and lasted one week till I asked for help from my friend. I actually brought these babies to work with me and kept them hidden under my desk (I had a very understanding editor who didn't want to know about it). I'd go into the ladies room with them and sit on the floor and bottle feed them. Talk about stress! But they thrived and got homes.

jenluckenbach
10-17-2002, 07:37 PM
New kitties, new kitties, I love the thought of new kitties!!

Miss Meow
10-17-2002, 09:58 PM
Lillycat, we already have two, so I'm thinking another two can't hurt ... We were talking about getting a couple of dogs anyway; they're both furry, eat a lot, vomit everywhere - kittens/dogs, what's the difference?!

We are in Sydney, Australia but moving to Melbourne at some stage (that's another story) which is where the kittens happen to be.

That's such a lovely story, moosmom :)

I don't think I've mentioned this, but Yvonne the cat lady lives in my childhood family home! I remember a few years ago mum took me to meet her as I was looking to have Frankie cat boarded, so she drives down our old street, and I go whoa she lives in our old street. Then she pulls up outside our old house, and I go whoa she lives next door to our old house. Then we walk up the driveway and I go WHOAAAAA she's in our old house! My brother's bedroom is the cat birthing area, and my old bedroom is the kitten weaning room. Then the garage has been refurbished into the boarding area, as has a big screened outdoor play area. It's great, but very freaky to see my old bedroom full of squeakers!

AmberLee
10-17-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
... but very freaky to see my old bedroom full of squeakers!

Wow, I'd find that very odd, too!

moosmom
10-18-2002, 08:59 PM
Miss Meow,

Isn't it great to visit your old house to see the changes?? I did that when I lived in Connecticut. I walked by my old house everyday (for exercise) and swore one day I was going to knock on the door and ask if I could see the inside. Well, lo and behold I was walking one day and the woman was outside in the front yard. I started talking to her and she invited me in to see the place. I was totally blown away!!! The walls between the dining room and my bedroom were knocked down to make a HUGE kitchen!! And my parents bedroom was now a den. The upstairs, which was once an attic bedroom, was redone into 3 bedrooms! It made me a little melancholy but I'm glad I got to see it before I moved 663 miles away. :(

Miss Meow
10-18-2002, 09:23 PM
It was great, especially to see that it was invaded by so many lovely cats! But time made the house and rooms a lot larger in my mind - when I peeked back in my bedroom, I wondered at how I survived in such a pokey room!

My friend is boarding her cats at Yvonne's in two weeks. I'm going to see if she can borrow digital camera and sneak some photos of the kittens while she's there ...

jenluckenbach
10-30-2002, 03:10 PM
It's been two weeks, have you seen those kitties again?

Miss Meow
11-01-2002, 05:07 PM
No, but I am going down there next week for an interview, so I'm sure there'll be time to drop in and say hi ... must take camera, must take camera, must take camera

jenluckenbach
11-01-2002, 06:09 PM
We'll ea waiting. Don't forget to pick out a couple for yourself.

Cataholic
11-01-2002, 06:56 PM
Ohhhhhh I just love kittens! I can safely say that, since I know they are around the world from me, and have no chance of coming to my home!!!

Miss Meow
11-10-2002, 03:25 PM
I visited Yvonne the other day when I was in the area. I asked her about the orphans and she said it was a disaster and not to ask about them :confused: :confused: :confused: Her tone of voice was that it was better to obey ... My gut feel is that maybe they didn't make it.

But

She is looking after some Siamese kittens who were born and chose not to drink their mother's milk (why are Siamese so darn stubborn???) There are four little boys and they are about six weeks old. And they will be needing loving homes. I am gently convincing Shane that we have room in our hearts for one of these babies, and maybe one more so we have an even four. Wish me luck! Shane will be seeing them for himself in about 10 days and then he must melt as they are soooooo cute! He is worried about new cats integrating with Jasmine, as she's domineering, but I hope I can overcome that objection.

jenluckenbach
11-10-2002, 07:34 PM
I am so sorry to hear about those orphans. (even if we do not really know) But the siamese kitties sound lovely and Jasmine will just put a new kitty in his place and all will be cat heaven.

Miss Meow
11-14-2002, 04:18 AM
Shane rang tonight to talk about yesterday's COTD, Tango. (Tango's hooman introduced cats and wrote about resolving settling in problems.) Shane said that makes him more comfortable and maybe we can get two more!!! WOOHOO!!!

Cataholic
11-14-2002, 10:14 AM
Miss Meow...isn't Shane coming around nicely? I hope two more kitties grace your home soon...:)

koxka
11-14-2002, 02:53 PM
Nicole, I didn't see this thread since today.
Hurrah for Shane :cool:

Iuri , my siamese is a real stubborn, but didn't know it was commom amonng the siameses :rolleyes: patience.

lynnestankard
11-18-2002, 02:22 PM
Nicole - here's another one who missed this thread until today - don't know how - all the mention of furbabies!

Sorry the initial babies were a no-go, but don't these lickle meezers sound ideal? DON'T worry about intergrating these new furbabies - they are SIAMESE - stubborn, infuriating and obtuse -------- and the sweetest kitties about. They'll soon have Jasmine wound round their tiny paws.:D

Lynne

NoahsMommy
11-18-2002, 04:35 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!
That is WONDERFUL!!!! I'm so happy you are getting two more sweeties! How fun! My heart fluttered when I read your last post....yay!!! :)

I can't wait to hear all about them. :)