PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have experience with mammary tumors?

DogLover9501
04-05-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't post here often anymore, but I'm going crazy with worry.

Emma(my Maine Coon mix) was taken to the vet today, for some small "lumps" I found near her chest area on Friday. Apparently, they are mammary tumors, and we won't get the lab results from them for a couple days.

From what I've learned, and from my vet's face, it seems there's no positive side to this.

Has anyone had any personal experience to share? Not knowing is the hardest part. :( Lots of prayers would be wonderful, too. She is so important to me, and it's been a horrible year.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8077/18194904.jpg

catmandu
04-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Prayers are coing from All Of Us from the Found Cat Hotel for Big Eleganr Emma!:love::love:
We know that Por Pet Talker Awesome Companions Angels Army will be with Emma, and will comfort her:cool::cool:
We are hoping for the best Possible News For Your Gentle Giantess!!
:love::love::love::love:

aTailOf2Kitties
04-05-2010, 03:41 PM
I used to work at a vet. We removed mammary tumors just like any other tumor. Your lab tests may be to see if they are spreading anywhere else (i.e. lymph nodes), or to see if there is some underlying cause.

Prayers that lab tests will have good results and Emma will be OK:love:

Freedom
04-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Prayers for good results!

My Lacey - dog - had a mammary gland tumor removed last November. These are more common in a female who had many litters; and then in a female who was not spayed until after age 6 months (even in no litters).

Lacey's lab result took over a week. Came back that, while it was not a benign tumor, the edges were all clear, so it seems the vet excised everything.

Lacey healed up fine in about 2 weeks and is her old self. I pray that you will have just as good (or better) results!

DogLover9501
04-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Thank you for the prayers. I can't help bursting into tears every time she comes near me. I need her with me for a long time.

These are more common in a female who had many litters; and then in a female who was not spayed until after age 6 months (even in no litters).

I adopted Emma from the SPCA, and she was estimated to be aprox. 2 years old, and wasn't spayed until she was mine. It's incredibly frustrating to me that this could be the fault of the same people who dumped her at the shelter. :(

phesina
04-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Prayers that your beloved Emma's tumors can be removed easily and completely.

cassiesmom
04-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Prayers that your beloved Emma's tumors can be removed easily and completely.

Please count me in as another person who is praying. I thought of Freedom when I read the title of this thread.

Karen
04-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Prayers for your pretty girl!

katladyd
04-06-2010, 12:13 AM
I, too, am praying for dear Emma. :love:

kittycats_delight
04-06-2010, 05:54 AM
Robyn I sent you a PM. I have had experience with this. I also know the vets where you are as I am originally from there too. You can email me or find me on Facebook. The info is in the PM I sent.

Love and good thoughts to you and pretty Emma.

K & L
04-06-2010, 06:58 PM
We did with our Yorkie, Roxie. It didn't turn out to be a good ending. Hers was cancerous. She did hang in for quite a while but eventually we had to put her down.:( I hope all turns out OK and they are benign.

DogLover9501
04-07-2010, 01:23 PM
The tumors are cancerous, and quite aggressive. We have the option of surgery(if x-rays clear), but there is a 95 percent chance it will return. In the same place, or worse. It's likely she has roughly a year either way.

I'm not sure what to do right now, honestly. I do not want to put her through surgery for no reason. I'm going to get a second opinion with the vet Michelle recommended. If he agrees that there is a 95% change of recurrence, my heart is telling me to leave her as is, as happy as possible for as long as possible.

Today, we hung out outside:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6528/33052005.jpg

kittycats_delight
04-07-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm so sorry Robyn. As I told you in PM if Emma is to have a chance Dr. D will be the one to give it to her. He will be 100% honest with you and if he thinks the reoccurance rate is too high then he will recommend keeping her happy & comfortable for as long as you can. You are doing everything you can for Emma and she knows you love her. Give her lots and lots of extra love from me too. ((((HUGS))))

lvpets2002
04-07-2010, 02:41 PM
:( Oh I am so sorry to hear of Emma's tumor.. Sending Lots of Whisker Huggss & Lots of Prayers.. Keep us posted ok.. Come on Sweet Emma & stay with us.. Your meowmom loves you so much..

krazyaboutkatz
04-08-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Emma.:( Hopefully the other vet will have some good news for you about other treatments/options etc. My Sunny passed away recently and he also had aggressive cancer so I know the pain that you're going through.:( Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care. (((HUGS)))