PDA

View Full Version : I'm being laid siege to by a cat! *UPDATE - taken*

ChrisH
04-03-2010, 04:46 PM
This pretty one. (The sun makes it look white but in ordinary light it is actually mostly a light orange colour)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Miscellaneous/DSCF0078.jpg
I'd better start at the beginning, Saturday February 27th.

I let Bob out (on a leash) into the garden in the morning as usual and as he went straight to a planter in the corner up popped a cats head, the one in the picture above. It stayed there a while then went over the wall into Audrey's, a neighbour, yard. I kept check on it during the day and when it came to rain I took a old table around to Audrey's and put it where the cat was for some sort of shelter.

Didn't see it at all on the Sunday.

Monday dawned and there it was on top of Audrey's porch where it stayed all day and night. I thought perhaps it was sick and couldn't get down so I'd called the RSPCA earlier in the day and they told me it would have to be up there for 48hours before they could do anything. Meanwhile I called at the home where I'd been told it could belong several times over the weekend and Monday/Tuesday, but there was never anyone home.

I'd put food down for it, smelly food, but it never came down for it which reinforced my idea it was stuck, so as it was still there after the 48hrs had passed I called the RSPCA again. An officer came out, got up there, checked the cat out and then let it go. She said it wasn't injured, was well groomed and in her opinion it would find it's way home. I put a notice with a photo up in the village but no-one has been in touch as yet.

Saw it once or twice after that in the daytime but then one night, late, it turned up as I was out back with Bob. Put Bob in the house quick and put some food in a saucer for the cat, went out and waited around while it ate because there were a couple of other cats around which I thought may have been chasing it. They went and I went in the house leaving the cat finishing off the food.

Next time I heard it before I saw it, the meowing gradually getting louder the nearer it became. It had no fear of Bob, winding around the both of us. As I was trying to get Bob in the house the cat was also trying to get in. Again I took some food out but this time it wasn't interested wanting only to come back in with me. And that is how it has carried on ever since, now and again it will eat, mostly not.

I've tried all sorts of things to avoid it when letting Bob out at night. Turning the automatic lights off, being very, very quiet, but it always knows somehow. I even took Bob out the front garden last night, but it knew. The meowing coming closer and closer and me trying to get myself and Bob back in the house before it got here. It went around the back then and was meowing at my back door. At least when I took the food out it ate it this time.

I don't want another cat but even so if I had the room I would take it in or/and if I just had Bob, or just Ebby, but the way things are I cannot. I've made a little shelter thing out back but it hasn't used it as yet. It doesn't seem to want food that often either, I'm happy to put food down for it but it is a little annoying when it is left.

Taking to a shelter is not an option, firstly the local ones are all full and secondly I have no transport to go further afield. I will most likely get in touch with the RSPCA again after the holidays and see if they can come up with any suggestions.

It is both freaking me out and breaking my heart because I can do no more.

Karen
04-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Can you attach a note to a collar on it, and see if it belongs to someone else? Then you could urge them to keep it inside ...

catmandu
04-03-2010, 05:01 PM
I ahve the same problem with the Porch Cats , especially if I have put something especially nice out for dinner!!!
:cool:
Spunky Moose the Deuce has been in on cold and damp nights and the Earl of Ebony as well but I just cannot addd any New Found Cats!!:(
But they are certainly not as persistant as your Wanna Be Cat Companion:)
I do hope that she has a home somewhere and hasnt be abandoned.
We are praying for that Dear Cat and You!!
:love::love:

ChrisH
04-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks Gary.

Karen, it hasn't got a collar on.

Karen
04-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Does Ebby have a spare collar you might attach?

cassiesmom
04-03-2010, 05:40 PM
What a pretty cat! I hope (s)he has a forever home.

ChrisH
04-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Does Ebby have a spare collar you might attach?
Good idea Karen, I'll have a look if I can find one tomorrow.

He/she didn't wait for me to take Bob out tonight, was meowing by the back door, mind you it was late, after midnight.

Squeezed myself and Bob out the door and he/she came running over, a mite leery of Bob going toward him/her tonight though. The biggest problem with the situation is that I need Bob to do his business, as quickly as possible, yet keep the cat and he apart. I guess it's good job he has to be on a leash.
Anyhow, he did and I took him back in, opened a pouch of food into a dish, took it out with me, picked up the poop and put it in the bin, put the dish of food down for the cat, left him/her tucking in and went back inside.

I noticed he/she has black marks along the fur, perhaps caused by he/she squeezing in and out of somewhere, a shed or the like.

krazyaboutkatz
04-04-2010, 01:40 AM
This cat sure is gorgeous.:) He/she looks like a Flame Point Siamese to me and it sounds like this cat likes people and wants attention. Since it doesn't eat the food all of the time then I bet it does have a home or others are also feeding it. Hopefully some one does own it and you'll be able to find out where it lives. Good luck.:)

Barbara
04-04-2010, 06:04 AM
Flame point for sure- but the collar doesn't look Siamese.
I wonder whether he/she is looking for a second home- I cannot believe it is feral......
Good luck.

Randi
04-04-2010, 06:37 AM
That cat knows a sucker when he/she sees one! :D Well, I hope the cat has another home somewhere around the area, but he/she seems to want to be with you. I know you can't take another cat in, though.

Good luck finding a solution! :)

Pinot's Mom
04-04-2010, 06:49 AM
This cat sure is gorgeous.:) He/she looks like a Flame Point Siamese to me and it sounds like this cat likes people and wants attention. Since it doesn't eat the food all of the time then I bet it does have a home or others are also feeding it. Hopefully some one does own it and you'll be able to find out where it lives. Good luck.:)

Exactly my thoughts. That cat is well fed and very social. It has a home, IMO.

Laura's Babies
04-04-2010, 07:30 AM
What a beautiful kitty that is! WOW! It is stunning!! I don't have room for another either but if something that beautiful showed up, I'd have to find some way to take it in until I could find it another home.

Make it a paper collar to put around it's neck with tape asking if this cat belongs to someone and put your phone number on it.. If no one responded, I'd start looking for rescue groups to see if one would take it and try to find it a home.. This one would go so fast!!! Also try putting a ad in the local paper, around here most "found pet" ads are free, put a ad on Craig's list and let them know you will ask for pictures of their cat if someone try's to claim it.. anyone who has a cat that beautiful, should have tons of pictures of it.

That baby needs a home and needs one fast! That is one of those one in a million beauties.. If I could have another it would be MINE!

ChrisH
04-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the comments and support everyone.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/grouphug.gif

What a beautiful kitty that is! WOW! It is stunning!! I don't have room for another either but if something that beautiful showed up, I'd have to find some way to take it in until I could find it another home.

Make it a paper collar to put around it's neck with tape asking if this cat belongs to someone and put your phone number on it.. If no one responded, I'd start looking for rescue groups to see if one would take it and try to find it a home.. This one would go so fast!!! Also try putting a ad in the local paper, around here most "found pet" ads are free, put a ad on Craig's list and let them know you will ask for pictures of their cat if someone try's to claim it.. anyone who has a cat that beautiful, should have tons of pictures of it.

That baby needs a home and needs one fast! That is one of those one in a million beauties.. If I could have another it would be MINE!
Thanks for the suggestions Laura. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/thumb.gif

As to taking it in, I guess we all have our own different ideas of what we can do in situations such as this. As I said, if I had a bigger place I wouldn't hesitate, in fact during the time I lived in my previous home I took in two cats and one dog for short times until I found them a place or owner.
However living here is different. I have a living room with bedroom off, a short hall with a small kitchen and bathroom off. The outside doors both lead on to open spaces. Maybe if I didn't have my Bobby dog I would take a chance but as things are I don't think it would be fair on either him or my Ebby cat and far too stressful for me trying to keep the peace.

Tracey, I'm not sure of the Siamese connection as It is a longer haired cat as perhaps you can see in this photo...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Miscellaneous/DSCF0081.jpg
... but I'm no expert, are there long haired Siamese? Anyhow, under all that fur it feels a little thin to me, but then again my view could be skewed in that department because of my tubby Ebby.

It only ate just over a quarter of the food last night so, combined with it's fur looking cared for, I'm hoping you all are right about it having a home, or being fed by someone.

I'll try and get another photo tonight, although the flash is bound to distort hopefully I will capture another view its colouring and fur condition.

ChrisH
04-04-2010, 08:39 AM
That cat knows a sucker when he/she sees one! :D Well, I hope the cat has another home somewhere around the area, but he/she seems to want to be with you. I know you can't take another cat in, though.

Good luck finding a solution! :)
I'd like to think the cat has taken to me but I don't think it is about me in particular. I think it is just because I am the only person around here who goes out into the garden each night. :D

Thanks for the good luck wishes.

Barbara
04-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Cats are rather clever if it comes to second homes with second meals. I remember here a kitty who came every evening in the garden and also badly wanted in (which nearly broke my heart)- but she also was too well groomed. I never found out where she belonged.
So if kitty does not begin too look un-groomed I would not really worry.

Prairie Purrs
04-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Himalayan, perhaps? Gorgeous kitty! And I agree that he/she looks too well taken care of to be abandoned.

I think the collar trick is a good idea. I'm guessing that either you're being targeted by a neighborhood mooch, or he/she has recently strayed a little too far from home and might need help getting back.

moosmom
04-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Prairie Purrs,

That's what I was thinking.

BW, Please check your PM's.

Marigold2
04-04-2010, 11:53 AM
How beautiful, it is a boy, perhaps some Norweign Forest in there. Best of luck with this most precious puddy.

ChrisH
04-04-2010, 02:35 PM
He/she was out back early tonight.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Miscellaneous/DSCF0129.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Bobby%20Boy/Miscellaneous/DSCF0127.jpg

Video - click to view
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Movies%202/th_DSCF0126.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Movies%202/?action=view&current=DSCF0126.flv)
ps, you can hear the meow but otherwise it's not purring you hear, that's the sound of the motor on the camera.

Killearn Kitties
04-04-2010, 03:10 PM
What a beautiful cat, Chris! She does seem very fond of you. :D

It's probably a good idea to try to attach a note to her. She certainly doesn't look as though she has come through the winter outside. I really hope she is just looking for new friends and hasn't been abandoned.

Randi
04-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Chris, he/she doesn't look like a stray kitty, nice clean furcoat, and the fact you can get so close and he/she doesn't finish the meals you give...

So don't feel bad for not taking him/her in. The weather is also warming up, right? :)

ChrisH
04-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks Randi. & Barbara, and Randi, I so hope you are right.

I went out just now and he/she was right by the door, looks like he/she is upping the campaign. Bob was non to pleased, wasn't aggressive or anything, just following with ears up with his nose at his/her butt. :rolleyes: Bob didn't do his business either, hope that doesn't bode ill for what I might find in the morning.

He/she hasn't eaten any of the food. I showed it the litter box I had made into a shelter and it went inside but came right back out. Oh, well.

I managed to attach a paper collar on him/her so fingers crossed it will bring a result.

ps Odd thing, it was 'making biscuits' on the grass. :confused:

Prairie Purrs
04-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Sounds like kitty may be rather accustomed to being a housecat. Is is possible that he/she could be microchipped?

cassiesmom
04-04-2010, 06:27 PM
What a lovely cat. I hope (s)he does have a microchip. I wish I could take him/her!

Vermontcat
04-04-2010, 08:41 PM
What a beautiful blue eyed cutie you found!:)
It looks like a flame point Himalayan more than a Balinese.
Izzy is a Balinese which is a longer haired version of a Siamese with a fluffier tail and very soft coat.
Have you put up found cat signs around your neighborhood?
I think that your new friend probably has a nice home somewhere close by and is just looking for some extra attention and food from you.
I loved the new pictures and video, the cat is not camera shy.;)

Laura's Babies
04-04-2010, 10:47 PM
That one looks exactly like my RB Chynna that was a flame point Himalayan. I realized that while watching the video and fell mady in love with him/her! Chynna was one smart boy, so smart I called him collage educated... so you could have a very smart cat there that knows excatly what it is doing! That is no run of the mill street cat!

I would call around and see if you could take him/her to be checked for a micro chip.

momcat
04-04-2010, 11:43 PM
That is one beautiful kitty! I have to agree with the others who think this kitty has a home, s/he appears to be well groomed and fed. Checking for a micro-chip is a good idea. Could it be that kitty is lost and can't find the way home?

ChrisH
04-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys

I put a picture up in the village just after he/she first appeared but haven't had a response yet, no response to the paper collar yet either.

Again, during those first few days he/she appeared I gave a description to the local cat rescue org and, of course, to the RSPCA before they came to get her off the porch. Both organisations put it on their database.

catmandu
04-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I am praying that someone didnt get tired of grooming her/him!!!:eek:
Or jsut got tired of their Cat or perhaps have a Dog now and it wont let the Cat Eat.:eek:
We are praying for a Happy Ending for this Himalayan Honey.:love::love::love:

ChrisH
04-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks your prayers Gary. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/kiss.gif

She, (I've decided to stick with 'she' :)) anyhow, tonight she did looked as if she had been brushed and the paper collar had gone. But if the owner had taken it off why wouldn't they have called? She seemed hungry too, was tucking in to the food as I went back in.

It was difficult again with Bob, I had to gently move the cat out of the way with my foot so Bob could do his business.

catmandu
04-07-2010, 04:28 PM
I wonder if shes on a diet , and doesnt care for thenew food.
My Friend Helen had a Cat from next door who did not care for the Light Formula so Pixie came over and tried to loook hungreee!!!:):)

They sound a light Diet she liked and all was well!!:love::love:
What a Gorgeous Cat , I think I would have given into temptation, but the odds are that she belongs somewhere!!:cool::cool:

ChrisH
04-07-2010, 04:57 PM
She seems to have settled into a routine these last few nights. I hear her meowing outside any time from 8:30pm onward. I take Bob for the last outside of the night, she stays pretty close to me and doesn't push so much to come indoors as she was doing. I take Bob in, fill a dish with food for her, go back out and she is reaching up for the dish, I put it down and go in leaving her eating away.

She has eaten every morsel I've given her since the weekend, since I put that paper collar on her as a matter of fact. I just hope whomever else was/is feeding and looking after her hasn't stopped doing so because of the collar.

Gary, I'm very tempted to take her in but I've got to think of Bob & Ebby, especially Ebby. Bob would get used to another cat eventually I think, but Ebby ... I'm 99.9% she would not, especially living in such close quarters.

cassiesmom
04-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Continued prayers for this beautiful kitty :) Bless you for looking after her!

ChrisH
04-08-2010, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the prayers. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/Hugs2.gif

I feel so sorry for her y'know. She is beautiful, pushy and vocal (unlike my Ebbs, although equally as beautiful, is quiet & reserved, that's how I know they wouldn't get on) and so deserves to have a loving home. Having said that, she may already have one, a lot of cats in this country are outdoor ones, only going inside for food.

A number of people have mentioned finding out if she has been micro-chipped and while I agree that is an excellent idea it is not one easily put in to practice. Even if I had the means to transport her to a vet there is the problem of, at the moment, her only appearing in the evening/night when the vets are shut. I would have to keep her in a carrier all night in order to get her to the vets in the morning, not something I'm really happy with doing.

catmandu
04-08-2010, 09:37 AM
She does seem more interested in you Chris ,than the food which means shes not starving.
Any news on where she might belong yet?:confused:

ChrisH
04-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Gary, that seems to have changed, this week she is definitely after the food I'm giving her rather than me. She reaches up for the dish and gets to eating as soon as I take it out there.

I don't know if she is taking me for a sucker or if she is homeless. I'm happy for it to be the former and praying it is not the latter.

ChrisH
04-13-2010, 10:28 AM
The cat has changed quite a bit, it is now hungry and watchful, even jumpy, no longer the bold, confident cat that first came around on that Saturday night. I called the RSPCA hoping for help but that only led to tears.

Some things they/she said.

"We can only help with sick or injured animals."
"We do not have a re-homing centre near you."
"If if you no longer want the cat around simply don't feed it."
"There is a reason why cats aren't protected by law, they will always find food and a way to live."

Killearn Kitties
04-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Oh Chris, I was just wondering yesterday how you were getting on with this cat (when a cat followed me home from the shops). I'm so sorry.

Have you tried phoning Cats Protection? They apparently have a re-homing centre in Wrexham. Wrexham & District (http://wrexham.cats.org.uk/) Being early in the year they may not be inundated yet.

ChrisH
04-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Karen, I phoned Cats Protection when the cat first appeared but they were choc-a-block and couldn't take any more in. However I called them again this afternoon just in case they have a space now but it was just an answer machine so I'll call again tomorrow. I also sent them photos and description for the website on the off chance the cats owner may be looking for it.

What happened with the cat that followed you home?

Killearn Kitties
04-13-2010, 02:41 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed, Chris! I know when Jessica first showed up in our garden with her babies, all CP could do was offer us a trap. They could neither help trap them, not take them in. They seem to be permanently choc-a-block. Depressing, isn't it?

I am sure that the cat who followed me home lives round the corner. She just seems an exceptionally friendly cat - or emotionally needy - one or the other! :D She is a beautiful black and white girl, with green eyes and white whiskers. I just get a bit paranoid that cats who come up to me outside are asking for help, but it really is quite quiet round here and most cats do wander around. She walked down the road with me purring and rubbing against my legs. When I tried to walk round her and away, she pawed and nipped at my feet!

I will, of course, keep an eye out for her.

ChrisH
04-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/8a63548a.gif Karen, and glad to hear your follower has a home. :)

cassiesmom
04-13-2010, 10:10 PM
The cat has changed quite a bit, it is now hungry and watchful, even jumpy, no longer the bold, confident cat that first came around on that Saturday night.

Hmmm, I wonder what happened? I'll keep praying and fingers crossed http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/8a63548a.gif that everything will work out for the kitty.

ChrisH
04-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Cutting a long story short, there is a person & her hubby to whom the cat may have belonged but it turned out not. However they have taken the cat to their home to keep, or foster if it turns out someone misses it and begins looking.

They live not far away on a small holding with of course plenty of space and already have 3 dogs and 6 cats. The lady is well versed in taking in and looking after cats so he/she will be ok, better off than waiting at my back door for food anyhow.

I know there is no way I could keep it, but the thing is, until they took him/her I didn't realise how much of a hold it had taken on my heart. I've been crying off and on ever since. Stupid isn't it.

Catty1
04-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Awww....:love::love::love: {{{hugs}}}

Bless you for keeping the kitty fed until s/he got at least a foster home.

Maybe you could visit? Or introduce them to Pet Talk and get uppydates.

I hope your heart heals soon. They do take hold of us.

ChrisH
04-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the kind words. :)

Yes, I can visit and/or telephone which is good but now beside being teary I'm beset by new worries. As normal she/he will be kept inside for the first two weeks but how will s/he feel when s/he gets to go outside. They live more or less in the middle of a field with a wood and some such all around, I doubt if s/he has seen such a space in all her/his life. My biggest worry is if s/he runs off or gets lost, s/he'll never be found.

My much lesser concern, because it should be solvable, is that s/he does have an owner after all and will be much missed. I know as long as they advertise the fact they will get their cat back but I would still have caused them heartache by letting s/he be taken.

I'm lost and sore of heart.

Catty1
04-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Chris, if the original owners let her wander, what did they expect? Hopefully she will be an indoor kitty once they get her back.

It's too dangerous for furry babies out there. I hope her owners put out notices soon!

(I'm going with the female gender...what the heck!) :D

Killearn Kitties
04-14-2010, 04:55 PM
It doesn't take them long to make their presence felt, does it? :love:

Chris, I think you have done the best thing you could have for this kitty. At least it seems that s/he will live with people who care for animals and s/he will have some safe space.

A number of people now know where s/he is, so if s/he does belong somewhere else, it wouldn't be too hard for them to find out what happened to their cat.

I hope all works out for the best.

momcat
04-14-2010, 07:25 PM
I do understand how you're feeling right now about your little kitty visitor. Stupid? Absolutely no way!!!!! You saw a kitty in need and offered food, safety, and companionship. We'll never know what would have happened to her if not for you.
All of us here love animals. I, for one, seem to fall in love with just about every kitty I see. There are always a few cans of cat food in my back pack that are given to strays and ferals when I see one.
How great that you can visit and get updates. My wish is for this kitty to find that purrfect furever home where she'll be loved, cared for, and protected.
Thank you for caring enough to help this little one! Groucho is sending you lots of purrs and kitty kisses for helping his fellow kitty in need :love: :love:

ChrisH
04-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks guys. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/grouphug.gif

Barbara
04-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Now I finally read through all this thread and I am especially moved by the notion that she was bold and confident first and became needy later- it may be one of these sad stories in which people move and leave the pet behind.
A paper collar can easily go while you go through shrubs and woods- and if she has never worn one she may have sat down to give it a good tear ;)

It sounds very good what you did for her. With Filou in the state he is now I could never consider another cat- but such a cute beauty breaks your heart doesn't it?

RICHARD
04-15-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm lost and sore of heart.

What?

Being an animal lover and member of PT, we would not expect anything less from you...:eek:;):(

I suspect most of us here have the same kind of sentiments.

Should I ever get to your neighborhood?

I may take up on your back porch!:eek:

Randi
04-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Chris, you have done all the right things. :) Feeding her, contacting everybody you could think of - and finding some people who she can stay with and who already know cats, is great!

It might be that someone moved and left her behind, or she had some owners who didn't care much. :( Now, she will get a much better life because of you helping her. Thanks! :love:

Prairie Purrs
04-15-2010, 11:12 AM
You fed her, you did all you could to find her owners, and you found her a home where she'll be able to stay forever if her owners aren't located. That's what I'd call a successful rescue.

krazyaboutkatz
04-15-2010, 11:35 AM
You fed her, you did all you could to find her owners, and you found her a home where she'll be able to stay forever if her owners aren't located. That's what I'd call a successful rescue.

I totally agree.:) Chris I think you went above and beyond what most people would do. I know that PT'ers would've done the same thing as you though because we all love animals so much.

ChrisH
04-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the support everyone. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/grouphug.gif

The people who he is with now took him to the vet this morning (yes, it's a boy) and he is healthy. I was told he is eating well and when looking through the window at the animals seemed unfazed. He will be introduced to the dogs and the other cats gradually over the next two weeks and once that two weeks is over he will be let outside. Hopefully, he will then decide to stick around as an indoor/outdoor cat.