PDA

View Full Version : New meds for IBS

Queen of Poop
04-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Saw the GI doctor, the amitriptyline he had previously prescribed didn't work for me, so now I've been given a prescription for Modulon. Anyone have any knowledge of this drug?

carole
04-01-2010, 04:55 PM
sorry no i have never heard of it, but please let me know how it works for you, as i also have IBS, and currently take only gastrosoothe, which i think is buscopan, i only take this when i travel though, so not on a regular basis, as i hardly travel anyhow, but i would be interesting in the outcome.

pomtzu
04-01-2010, 05:22 PM
I had never heard of this one, so I Googled it, and found out it's a Canadian drug, and not even available at either of the pharmacies that I use. I doubt that U.S. doctors are prescribing it.

From the information I read on it, it appears to be the same thing as Bentyl which is a U.S. drug. I've taken this off and on for quite a while, but for me, it doesn't work all that well. My doctor has me on a very low dose tho, and when I up the dosage on my own, it is much more effective. I've never had any adverse reactions to it, tho others have. But everyone is different.

Not much help to you, but that about all the info I have. Sorry. :(

Queen of Poop
04-01-2010, 06:24 PM
It is used to treat iritable bowel syndrome (spastic colon). This condition is caused by overactive movements of the bowels. Trimebutine works by slowing down the movements of the bowel.

The following side effects may go away as your body becomes used to the medicine; check with your doctor if they continue or become bothersome.

Less common or rare:

abdominal pain
anxiety
constipation
diarrhea
dizziness
drowsiness
dry mouth
fatigue
foul taste
headaches
hot/cold sensations
indigestion
menstrual problems
nausea
painful enlargement of breasts
rash
slight deafness
troubles with urination

Could be intesting, and available only in Canada, who knew there could be such a thing.