PDA

View Full Version : Forget the100 Year Flood Maps --

Freedom
03-30-2010, 11:59 AM
We have had over 7 inches of rain in less than 48 hours. At noon, the Governor had a news conference. He has called out the National Guard for assistance, and advising everyone to return home from work etc. prior to 6 PM; home before dark, as you can't see the deep waters well in day time and not at all at night.

He said they are working off the 100 Year Flood maps, and should be using a 500 Year Flood map; we are well over the 100 Year flood plains issues. :rolleyes:

Schools have closed, to get the children home before more streets have to be closed.

My home is on a hill, so no flood concern, though I do have some water coming in the basement in one corner.

We just set new flood records 2 weeks back for the 2 major rivers: the Pawtuxet and the Blackstone. Both have already passed that and set NEW records :rolleyes: Several buildings have flooded, been evacuated and condemned. And the "worst" isn't expected until the wee hours of tomorrow.

It has been quite a week here. Tasha has a UTI, with an ulcer, all her "girlie bits" inflamed (that is what the vet says, lol) 2 trips to the vet. Lacey got conjunctivitis "pink eye" so another vet visit. Her left eye was swollen shut when I got up Monday morning. The vet said the eye was so bad it was almost bleeding! :eek: She assured me that it does often come up that fast. I it develops during the day, we notice and catch it sooner, but when it comes up overnight, it can be quite advanced by the morning.

And now I sit here watching the coverage of the floods. Hope other PT members in this area are OK!

pomtzu
03-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Sam Champion on Good Morning America was reporting from Cranston this a.m. It was under water then. We've had rain for the past 2 days, but nothing like you're getting.
Stay safe - all of you! :)

krazyaboutkatz
03-30-2010, 12:17 PM
I heard about this yesterday and I thought of you Sandie. Please stay safe and I hope that all of your furkids will stay healthy and that Tasha and Lacey will recover quickly. I'll keep everyone in my thoughts and prayers.

lvpets2002
03-30-2010, 02:48 PM
:( Oh I have been seeing this on the news.. I feel so bad for you all.. First a very hard winter with lots of snow & now it wont stop raining.. Stay safe & indoors.. Good luck getting the babies healthy again.. Sending Lots of Prayers..

Queen of Poop
03-30-2010, 02:55 PM
Please feel free to send the rain this way. We are tinder box dry. Had several grass fires yesterday and unless we get some moisture soon there will be loads more.

cassiesmom
03-30-2010, 03:18 PM
I just heard about the bad weather on the noon news and I thought of all the East Coast PT'ers. I hope everyone is okay -- dry and safe.

Freedom
03-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Just getting the 5 o'clock news update. In Warwick, the sewer treatment plant flooded, had to shut that down. Mandatory evacuation, and "do not flush" in place. That treatment plant serves 2 other communities, so they are also effected.

Parts of Route 95 closed, and the main airport entrance road closed. Some of the electrical grid substations are flooding, forcing the electric company to shut down power.

Boy, am I glad we are fine right here!

Catty1
03-30-2010, 04:32 PM
:( OMG

Prayers for everyone there that they and their families and furfamilies are safe. :love:

Pinot's Mom
03-30-2010, 04:57 PM
I thought about you too with the rain reports - they are all over coverage of Cranston. Sandie, I'm glad you're OK - I hope this clears out for you soon!

Freedom
03-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Thanks! The cats could care less, lol, but the dogs are quite bored, stuck in the house, no walks.

Grace
03-30-2010, 06:30 PM
I just spoke with my brother in East Greenwich. All is well where he is.

He lives on East Greenwich Bay, at the bottom of a hill, but the water is just running down the road, into the bay.

Laura's Babies
03-31-2010, 08:28 AM
I have been watching it with a lot of interest on TV, thinking about all our PT friends up that way that are effected and wondering how everyone is. Geez, it looks BAD up there! I will be keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

davidpizzica
03-31-2010, 08:51 AM
All of my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by this devastating flooding. Pittsburgh is no stranger to flooding and we had our own scare with snow melt, so we know ho bad it can get.