PDA

View Full Version : Kids spurn celeb chef's healthy lunches

Anikaca77
03-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Survey: Kids spurn celeb chef's healthy lunches
By VICKI SMITH- Associated Press Writer
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — A survey shows kids at the West Virginia school featured in "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution" liked their standard pizza and chicken nuggets more than the celebrity chef's fresh, healthy menu items.

AP

In this publicity image released by ABC, from left, chef and TV personality Jamie Oliver, Mary Calhoun Brown and Huntington Fire Chief C. Creig Moore during the taping of his reality series, "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution," in Huntington, W. Va., airing Friday, March 26, 2010 on ABC. (AP Photo/ABC, Holly Farrell) NO SALES

View larger
And when denied the food they were used to, many stopped buying the school lunch.

The survey at Central City Elementary in Huntington also found children drank less milk after Oliver removed the sugary chocolate and strawberry bottles.

But there is a bright spot in the data from the West Virginia University Health Research Center: More than six in 10 kids said they'd learned to try new foods.

ABC chose to have the show in Huntington after a 2008 Associated Press story dubbed the five-county metropolitan area the nation's unhealthiest.

Read more: http://www.centredaily.com/2010/03/30/1884187/survey-kids-spurn-celeb-chefs.html#ixzz0jfrC6e2I

http://www.centredaily.com/2010/03/30/1884187/survey-kids-spurn-celeb-chefs.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I watched this, this past Friday night and I see where the kids are coming from but at the same time I'm thinking if someone would of done this in my high school and taught us a bit more about nutrition it might of helped or not who knows. I'm just glad someone is trying to cook fresh and raw meats instead of processed stuff.

Cataholic
03-30-2010, 10:37 AM
If truth be told, and I was given a choice between cheese nachos or a salad...hands down, the cheese nachos win. Given a choice between a 32 ounce of OJ or water? OJ would win. Given a choice between a piece of chocolate cake or .....

I eat healthily (or more healthy, as I did have cheese nachos for dinner last night) because I know it is better for me. I am not so sure it is a choice that comes naturally or easily to most people.

Hearing that a child prefers pizza or nuggets over something more healthful is just so 'normal' to me. Their taste buds probably need some more training, or the parents need some more education.

I am a junk food eater by nature...LOL. I re-invent myself every day- sometimes every meal! :D

Miss Z
03-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Haha, poor Jamie. He tries so hard.

He launched a huge campaign over here some years ago, taking his message of healthy school lunches to Downing Street. I will always remember a story, however, of parents, outraged at their children being 'forced' to eat something green, launching a protest by handing pie and chips from the local chippy through the schoolgates to chubby, outstretched hands. :p

Anikaca77
03-30-2010, 10:40 AM
http://www.jamieoliver.com/campaigns/jamies-food-revolution/petition

Here is a petition.

It was an interesting show to watch and I learned a bit too. I know I would eat ice cream every day if I could bring myself to do it but I'm trying to eat healthier as much as I can. Although it is difficult from time to time.

Melissa

moosmom
03-30-2010, 01:05 PM
I watched it. I was amazed at how much food was thrown away!!! The school lunch matrons looked a little peeved that he was trying to get the kids to eat right.