PDA

View Full Version : Canon powershot or Nikon Coolpix?

caseysmom
03-26-2010, 12:15 PM
I got my daughter a Sony camera for christmas and it just wasn't taking decent pictures. Luckily walmart let me return it since it was over 90 days ago.

We are now deciding between the canon powershot sx120-is for 199 or the nikon coolpix L110 for 279.

The Canon has really good reviews, the nikon is newer so it doesn't have as many reviews?

Opinions?

Taz_Zoee
03-26-2010, 02:14 PM
My boyfriend just got me a Panasonic Lumix. It just came out in January so there weren't any reviews on it. Not quite sure why he got it. :confused: Since he is the guy that does extensive research on things before purchasing.
So far it has a lot of neat features. I haven't uploaded any of the pictures yet. So I can't say how well they are. My old Olympus took great pix, I just wanted something to take action shots and have more features.

Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll have some pix of the pets to post here.

Wow, I'm sorry. I didn't answer your question AT ALL. LOL I just had to pipe in with my two cents. Sorry!

caseysmom
03-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Its okay I am leaning toward the canon just from reviews online.

Randi
03-26-2010, 03:03 PM
I'd say, get an Olympus! ;)

lvpets2002
03-26-2010, 03:30 PM
:) Oh I just Love My Canon Powershot..

caseysmom
03-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Which one do you have?

3Catcondo
03-26-2010, 07:43 PM
I love my Canon powershot...It takes great pics, easy to use...although I haven't taken the time to read the book on all the things it can do. It was well worth the money...I have the Canon Powershot S80. It will be 4 years old this year.

Alysser
03-26-2010, 10:12 PM
I have an Olympus now, but I used to have a Canon Powershot, it took excellent pictures - but it was way to bulky for me to carry. It was a much older model though. I'd go with the canon powershot for sure. I am always leary on new products, I always get older models with good reviews so any bugs and the like can be worked out before it is perfected.

caseysmom
03-26-2010, 10:44 PM
She ended up buying the powershot, it is bulky and old fashioned looking but whatever thats not what counts if you want good pictures. It was about 60 dollars cheaper than the sony so she let me buy an ipod shuffle with the leftover money on the gift card and the thing didn't work when we got it home....the volume control and song changing thing doesn't work.

catnapper
03-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Thats the same Canon I just got. I am happy with it. Its taken great outdoor photos and decent inside ones. Here are some non-edited photos (just resized for the web)

Hubby took this one, and he has no idea how to use the camera
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/Cameron/EasterHunt1.jpg

The detail on this one at full-size is impressive... whats more impressive is that I was holding Callie's leash at the time and she wanted to jump in the water in the worst way. There'e no hint of camera shake despite Callie.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/Cameron/duckiewalk3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/mikeybikey.jpg

caseysmom
03-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Very nice, Cameron is sure a big boy now we need to see more pictures of him. I need to get over to the cat side more often your kitties are beautiful.

cassiesmom
03-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Catnapper, Cameron is getting so big! What a cutie!

Just my $.02 ... my mom and dad got each other a Canon A1100 for Christmas. I have a Canon A420 from two Christmases ago. The difference in the detail between them is amazing. Mine has 4 megapixels and his has 12. The pictures upload faster from his than from mine and are much sharper.

Prior to the A1100, my mom and dad had an Olympus film camera (we called it the PhD camera - "Push here, Dopey!" because all you had to do was aim and press the shutter). It was a great camera. I have no photography skills at all and it still took really nice pictures for me. The motor that moved the film finally gave out and it would have cost more to fix than to replace. But it was easy to use and always took super photos.

Momto4FemaleFelines
03-28-2010, 06:21 PM
I guess it was in '06 that my cousin sold me her Canon Powershot which was my first experience with digital. It was a decent little camera, no bells & whistles, zooming wasn't the greatest, but for around the house it did well.

It all depends on what a person wants to do with a camera to determine what kind to get. I'm dreaming of the days I can upgrade to something with more zoom than what my current Sony Cybershot has.

caseysmom
03-29-2010, 03:31 PM
I guess it was in '06 that my cousin sold me her Canon Powershot which was my first experience with digital. It was a decent little camera, no bells & whistles, zooming wasn't the greatest, but for around the house it did well.

It all depends on what a person wants to do with a camera to determine what kind to get. I'm dreaming of the days I can upgrade to something with more zoom than what my current Sony Cybershot has.

She wants it to take pics.:D

So far she is happy with it.