PDA

View Full Version : Purring, the power to heal?

DJFyrewolf36
03-25-2010, 04:39 PM
I have read lately a few articles suggesting that a cats pur can promote the healing of bones and other things. The stress relief of a purring cat is obvious to me, as I can't feel bad holding a purring feline, even one that is annoying about bugging me for attention *looks at Remus*

I also read that cats who are sick or injured purr because they can heal and calm themselves. Anyone have any stories they want to share about the healing power of purring cats? Maybe there IS something to the whole purr therapy thing ;)

mrspunkysmom
03-25-2010, 06:48 PM
I, too, have read that. Something to do with sounds waves. We used to think that purring meant only happiness, but cats purr when they are injured or sick, too. I think that they purr to get our attention as well as to heal themselves. It does make you feel better listening to it. When I'm sick, Spunky will sit on me and purr away. He insists on it.

Have you heard that cats meow only for us humans? It seems that they have their own methods are communicating with each other. I personally think they are psychic.

RedHedd
03-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Yes, I've heard that too - I didn't know that they only meowed for us. Marbles is just starting to find her voice - it's little and squeaky and very cute!

I think they're psychic and psychotic too - especially Ms. Marbles :D

DJFyrewolf36
03-25-2010, 08:23 PM
I think they do meow just for us...in all the years Ive had my three I dont think Ive ever heard them meow at each other. Hissing and growling yes but not meows!

cassiesmom
03-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Cassie seems to have two levels of purring volume. The first one is kind of loud, like "everything's okay for right now, but don't change a thing or you'll tip the balance". The one I cherish most is soft and low - that is the purr that tells me all's well in her world. Either way, I love to hear her purr!

Medusa
03-26-2010, 06:32 AM
I believe it. When I had to have my Peeka put to sleep, she was in pain and crying b/c her body was shutting down from CRF and she was jaundiced, yet purring like a motor boat. And I've rescued cats that were scared to death yet purring when I picked them up.

kb2yjx
03-26-2010, 07:55 AM
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!! As someone who was fortunate to have therapy cats, I saw the effects the cats and their purring had on so many people. Spunky, Raven, and Ralph Syracuse are gone, and I have never found cats to take their places...Sure miss you guys....I have attached some photos of Spunky(I have the most of him)the first one is from 9/03, on the USS Intrepid, the other 2 are from a Pet Expo, in 4/03. Spunky left for the Bridge 9/15/04.

happylabs
03-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Absolutely purring is medicinal. Since I had the Labrador love of my life put down last September Buddy has been my shadow. When he lays on the arm of my recliner at night it is the most comforting thing to me. I find I sleep much better when Tink comes and sleeps by my head at night too.

catmandu
03-26-2010, 09:55 AM
I wonder if My Joseph:love::love: senses that I have a torn rotator cuff and he lies by me PURRING me , maybe hes trying to make His Poor Old Dad heal up:love::love::love: , the way I have always truied to do when My Found Cats are not well:love::love:
That way be Crazy Cool :love::love::love:

sirrahbed
03-26-2010, 09:58 AM
I get migraines from time to time and have noticed that my cats sense the distress and stay with me. I often bury my head on Dylan while he purrs and it soothes the headache. Yes I have also heard that purring is healing in many ways and I am sure of it.

kitten645
03-26-2010, 10:18 AM
"I think they're psychic and psychotic too - especially Ms. Marbles"

ROFL! Absolutely!

I know a kitties healing power. When I've injured or hurt myself, pinched nerve, sore joint, Calvin will gently come and sit on my booboo and between his body heat and his purr, I always feel better right away. He can be a PITA like Remus for attention but I remind myself we are together for such a short time on this earth, I better enjoy it while I can!

Randi
03-26-2010, 10:31 AM
I believe cats' purr has a healing power, too, and I've heard that they also purr to tell that they're "not dangerous at the moment". ;)

I don't think I've heard Fister miaw much to his mom when he was younger, but rather little chirps when brushing against her. So I guess we can conclude cats hiss and growl at each other, and purr to their humans. :)

moosmom
03-26-2010, 11:22 AM
I truly believe in that. When my RB MooShoo slept with me, under the covers with his head on HIS pillow, I was lulled by his beautiful purring, and his warm, soft skin. God I miss that.

katladyd
03-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Every morning I wake up to find Mac lying next to me, purring up a storm! He will come to me when I'm down and jump in my lap and start to purr. He is my :love: cat.

DJFyrewolf36
03-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Speaking of purring healing cats I woke up with one right next to my head! I love kitties, even PITAs ;)