PDA

View Full Version : My big, BIG news of the year

Miss Z
03-24-2010, 04:38 PM
I'M GOING TO BE A ROYAL VET!!!!! :D :D

I received my offer for the BSc(Hons) & BVetMed Combined Degree programme from the University of London's Royal Veterinary College yesterday. It is the oldest and most prestigious veterinary institution in the country, and ranks among the best veterinary universities in the world. And I can't believe I've got in!!! :eek: :D

After the hardship of my Cambridge rejection, I began to doubt I'd be happy at another university. I was very grateful for the offer I received a week later from Glasgow University, but when I was there, something just didn't feel quite right for me. Sure, the people were friendly, and the newly built small animal hospital was incredibly impressive, but in my gut, I wasn't sure it was somewhere I wanted to spend 5 years of my life.

Fast-forward to February, I received an unexpected straight-out rejection from Edinburgh University. Even though I didn't rank it above Glasgow, it was a serious blow to my confidence, particularly after I inquired about the rejection, and I was told my application simply did not cut the mustard. I value modesty, but it doesn't wash with me that 180 other applicants had more than 11 A*s at GCSE, and 5 As at AS level, with top predictions for A2 level, and 3 years worth of work experience. Plus, how could I merit a Cambridge interview, and not an Edinburgh one? So I'm not quite sure what happened there.

By this time, I was feeling incredibly sick of universities and all the stress of applying for what is the hardest degree course to get onto over here. So many people I spoke to said I should thank my lucky stars that Glasgow wanted me, for this year more than ever, there will be candidates who get 4 rejections and no offers at all. But no matter how hard I tried to feel good about it, I just knew it was not where I wanted to end up.

By mid-February, I was called to interview at the Royal Vet College. It was, in all honesty, a choice I'd put down mainly because I'd taken the entrance exam (which Cambridge also use), and they were one of the few universities that offered a vet degree with an intercalated year of scientific study, which I'm more keen to do. I missed the Open Day last year, and so had never actually been inside either of the campuses. I went purely off the information in the prospectus when putting it down as a choice. And, if I am perfectly honest, at the time I believed I had a better chance of getting into Cambridge than the Royal Veterinary College, as I knew that not only were they very strict on academic ability, but also wanted candidates with extensive work experience at exceptional placements. I had also heard that they were more keen on making offers to gap year students, as they already had their A level results.

Before my interview, I had a tour of the Hawkshead campus, which is their rural sector, where farm animals are kept and most of the clinical years take place there. 5 minutes in, and I was in LOVE.

The place clicked for me right away. The site is gigantic, with the most amazing facilities. The practical rooms, small animal theatre and various offices devoted to various studies, such as tropical disease, put Cambridge to shame. The giant lecture theatre, with large animal dissection area (complete with crane for lifting elephant/rhino/whatever-else-we-happen-to-get corpses into the building - larvely :p) was mindblowing. I got on with all the people there, and just walking around made me feel like a vet. Suddenly I did not feel at a loss about Cambridge at all.

My interview... was rough, rough, rough. I was quizzed on my knowledge of bluetongue and foot and mouth disease, the structure and function of viruses, genetics, my perspective of a vet's role in the food standard's agency, and my stance on animal testing. I felt I gave good answers, but fell prey to the inevitable demons of the mind that convince you that you could have said something better! Not one of my interviewers smiled during the interview, as had been the case at Glasgow, and I became pretty adamant that they didn't rate me.

I was considering taking the year out to reapply to the RVC, as I made the decision that I could never be truly happy at Glasgow knowing there was a place I knew in my heart was right for me. I was dreading making such a risky decision, and in a way, it felt like admitting defeat after 7 years of hard work, and 15 years of desperately wanting to be a vet student.

But after such a long and strenuous ordeal, I was sent a notification the the RVC had made me an offer of 3 As at A level, and I was (and still am!) ecstatic. I cannot believe I am going, or that I managed to get into such a top establishment. I have been reading in student publications lately that in fact, many Cambridge vet applicants chose the RVC over Cambridge, and I truly now believe I would have done the same. I wanted Cambridge because of the name and the kudos. I realise that I want London because I'll be happy, have a great time, and start a blossoming career. :)

My best friend has recieved an offer from the Slade School of Fine Art, the top art school in the country, and it is also a 5 minute bus ride away from the RVC Camden campus, where I'll be spending most of my first 3 years. :)

Sorry for such a long post! And thank you for the PT support I've had throughout my application. It is very much appreciated. I can now be happy that 3 years worth of infrequent PT visits due to commitment to work has paid off.

:D:D

cassiesmom
03-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Wow! This news makes my heart skip a beat or two for you! How exciting! Congratulations, Miss Z, and best, BEST wishes for your future!

moosmom
03-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Zara,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That is wonderful news! They certainly know a good thing when they see one. I only wish I lived closer so you could be my vet.

Great job, girl!

Taz_Zoee
03-24-2010, 05:31 PM
I saw this on Facebook but had no idea how much it meant! Good for you!! I am so happy for you. As Donna said, I wish you lived closer. I'd definitely be brining my animals to you! :D

gini
03-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Congratulations! I know that great success is ahead for you. Enjoy every minute of your training. This certainly is BIG news!

Laura's Babies
03-24-2010, 05:43 PM
The other school rejected you because THIS one was better for you.. A higher power is at work watching over YOU!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

BitsyNaceyDog
03-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Congratulations, Zara! I'm so excited for you!

Karen
03-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Yay! Congratulations, we are all soooo very proud of you! And to think, they never even called me for a reference!

caseysmom
03-24-2010, 05:53 PM
I am not at all surprised! Congratulations I know you could do it!

Prairie Purrs
03-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Congratulations! What a wonderful accomplishment. You're going to be an amazing vet!

Pinot's Mom
03-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Congratulations! Your stars really aligned for this; you worked hard!! :)

k9krazee
03-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Congrats Girl! You definitely deserve this :)

Alysser
03-24-2010, 06:50 PM
I already saw this on Facebook, but I must say again, I am so happy for you!! CONGRATULATIONS, ZARA!! Screw the other schools, you got the best one, and the one obviously meant for you. You're going to be the best vet in the world, I just know it. :) :love:

Asiel
03-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Congratulations, sounds like the hard work did pay off. You sounded so ecstatic in your post that I truly enjoyed reading it. Good luck...you're on the way to your dream.

RobiLee
03-24-2010, 06:59 PM
So Exciting!! Congratulations!

*LabLoverKEB*
03-24-2010, 07:20 PM
CONGRATULATIONS ZARA!!!! Wow, that is so great- I bet you are feeling very proud right now, you should!!

I am going to be starting 4th term of my veterinary technology program here in CA. I think I am going to cry when I'm done, I'm going to miss it SO much! Yes, I will be doing this as a job, but I am going to miss the people (my instructors and some classmates) so very much.

I wish you the best of luck Zara, keep us updated!!!:D

chocolatepuppy
03-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Congrats and best of luck Zara!!!:D

phesina
03-24-2010, 08:12 PM
That is just wonderful! CONGRATULATIONS, AND WELL DONE!!!!!!

Medusa
03-24-2010, 08:20 PM
And a royal congrats, congrats, congrats!

smokey the elder
03-25-2010, 09:30 AM
That is terrific! I know that here in the US it's harder to get into vet school than med school. Best of luck to you!

jennielynn1970
03-25-2010, 09:35 AM
What a huge accomplishment!! Congrats!!!

Queen of Poop
03-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Well done!!! Congratulations.

krazyaboutkatz
03-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Congrats!!!:D I know you'll be an amazing vet.:)

Marigold2
03-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Congrats Zara. You must be very proud. I know you will make a great difference in this world.
I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!

Cataholic
03-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Congrats to you, Miss Z! Your hard work and dedication will take you many places, and all of them muchly deserved.

lvpets2002
03-25-2010, 12:53 PM
:) WoW that is Great News Zara.. Many Congrats..

Miss Z
03-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Thank you all so much. I start on 27th September, provided I get the grades, which I am more than willing to give one final effort for. I will be very sorry to leave my sixth form, which was also my high school, and so has been almost like a second home for seven years. I have so many memories there, and I only have less than a term left to enjoy. I'll be ending it with a charity and humanities expedition to Uganda with some of my closest friends, so we'll be going out on a high. :)

With the Olympics in 2012, London is going to be such an exciting place to be! Already, Katherine (my friend the Slade artist) and I have been googling all the local amenities (shops, pubs and clubs!) :D

Freedom
03-25-2010, 07:38 PM
YIPPEE ZARA!! What an achievement! Wonderful news.

carole
03-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Well Done Zara i am thrilled to bits for you,you will make a great vet, i hope you will still find a few minutes now and then to stop by and keep us updated on your life,we will be looking forward to hearing how it is all going, again CONGRATULATIONS.:love::)

cassiesmom
03-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Here is a candle and a big YAAAAAAAAY!
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/message.cfm?l=eng&cid=10483310

prechrswife
03-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Congratulations!!!

Barbara
03-29-2010, 03:31 AM
Congratulations! What an achievement- you fully deserve it. I am also very impressed with your journey to Uganda- how exciting!:)

Miss Z
03-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Oh Elyse, thank you so much for the lovely candle. You are very thoughtful. :) :love: And thank you all, I feel very flattered to be receiving so many congratulations!

I have my fingers crossed for a second friend for his interview at Goldsmiths College today, again only a relatively short journey from the RVC. It would be nice to have two friendly faces in the near vicinity. :)

Zippy
03-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Congratulations!:)

Miss Z
03-29-2010, 09:54 AM
It has just occurred to me that some PTers occasionally meet in London... so from September, count me in on the next gathering! :D

Pembroke_Corgi
03-29-2010, 10:52 AM
Congratulations!

I have to say that I find the British education system a bit confusing, but I have no doubt you are an outstanding candidate by any measure. :)

Lillycat
03-29-2010, 07:06 PM
I just loved reading all your news.....you will have a wonderful time of it, I am sure....Congrats.....

K9karen
03-29-2010, 11:11 PM
How AWESOME! But, I'm not totally surprised! You are one of the most dedicated, hardworkers and you deserve all that's wonderful in life! You'll make an outstanding vet!!!!!

Suki Wingy
03-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Oh Zara I thought I had told you before but I meant to say congratulations and have fun! I know a few people who were very disappointed to find they didn't make it into vet school so I am very happy for you!