PDA

View Full Version : oh NO NO NO NONOOOoooooo....

Catty1
03-23-2010, 08:32 PM
:eek::(:(:(:(

A client had the blue screen of death last night. Brought the tower home and the HD was toast...hooking it up externally brought NO results.

So, I decided to put in a temporary HD - I had a couple of 80g around, the same size as hers - and would see about getting her pictures and documents retrieved by one of two companies.

...........................Her Windows is successfully reinstalled.

Unfortunately, it seems I overwrote her own hard drive WITH HER PICTURES ON IT. :(:(:(:(

I know lying is NOT good...I just feel sick and don't know what to tell her. I don't feel I should even charge her.

One thing for sure, I am done with being even self-employed. Screwups like this are unforgiveable.

And I was hoping to even make a few dollars on this.

I'm going to go cry now...

catnapper
03-23-2010, 08:57 PM
Yikes! My feeling is you saved her computer, and thats worth being paid. It is her fault for never backing up her photos.

Laura's Babies
03-23-2010, 08:59 PM
I know how terriable you must feel.. The one thing we don't want to loose is our pictures.. I feel your pain and hers.

Catty1
03-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Well..if it is her HD I messed up...at least it is working again with all the drivers in it. I have texted a fellow tech about all this, and I am to call him in a few minutes.

The computer was VERY dusty inside...lucky the motherboard didn't fry!

Anyway...I did message her to ask if she had sent copies of her pics/docs to anyone.

The understanding is now that her original HD is to be checked to see if the files can be retrieved from it.

I was trying to be careful, I really was. :(

Trust me, friends, your repair people hate screwing up as much as you hate them doing it. :(

Bottom line....the computer is working. Files may be lost. I'm so sorry!

Catty1
03-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Okay...bought a bit of time, and am getting help from a fellow tech who led me to an article on freeware data recovery.

Found a good one...will contact him tomorrow. My current machine will NOT burn stuff to disc...silly thing.

Hope I can find some of her stuff.

Thanks for listening to my rant...:love:

DJFyrewolf36
03-24-2010, 03:45 AM
I wish all techs were as nice as you are...a lot of people warn customers that if they didn't back up the files, it isn't the techs problem.

*HUGS* don't beat yourself up...it works now doesn't it? ;)

Kirsten
03-24-2010, 03:57 AM
I'm so sorry!!! :( I would feel as bad about it as you do... and since I'm not a good lyer, I would probably tell her what happened.

But you saved her computer, didn't you? So I guess you could at least charge her for that. Doesn't she have any backup of her data? Everyone should have! (reminds me that I should run another backup, too ;) ).

Kirsten

wombat2u2004
03-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Candace !!! You klutz !!! How could you do that ???
It's unforgivable !!!!! :D
Boy, am I glad I don't take my computer to you !!!!! :D

Catty1
03-24-2010, 09:01 AM
:p:p:p:p wom!:D

Husky_mom
03-24-2010, 09:02 AM
me being on the other side... hadnīt backed up pics as I didnīt had a burner then.. and due to a virus or something.. same thing happened and my repair guy was told so he could back everything up.. anyway.. I lost the first year of my boy in pics.. I was so pi$$īd...he was told beforehand and he just didnīt even bothered..

unlike you, who are searching for a way to get them back... if he had at least tried getting them back.. it would be a bit better.. not perfect but I wouldīve know he knew he messed and was trying to compensate...

later we got another guy.. same comp toasted again.. and he backed up EVERYTHING!!.. pics, programs, documents... after being sure all was saved he then proceeded to do the repair.. I wish weīd found him earlier..

you are doing the responsible thing.. what Iīd expect for a service person.. even if itīs going the extra mile.. even if itīs my fault for not backing up for whatever reason (not everyone is aware of what can happen until it does).. so you are doing great... do what you can... :D

kokopup
03-24-2010, 09:22 AM
I am so aware of the potential of lost data that I have multiply copies of just about everything but my operating system. My son comments on my multiple copy thing but I seldom lose data. I had rather waste HD space than to have data disappear. With HD's being so cheap there is no excuse for NOT having
backups of ALL data. A TERAbyte for less than $100 is cheap. I remember paying over $100 for a 20kbyte hard card.

Puckstop31
03-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Woah.... LOL

First and foremost... Its not your fault that the PC died in the first place, is it? Also, is it your fault that the user did not have a backup? Nope.

Next, 'freeware' data recovery tools are less than effective, especially after you re-install a OS over top of it. So, the question to her will be if she gives you grief... "Is that data worth about $2000?" Because that is what it would cost to send it to a 'clean room' data recovery place.

Comp her an hour I guess, for the OS reinstall goof. But its not your fault she did not have a backup.

Catty1
03-24-2010, 04:54 PM
I have some other freeware data recovery stuff that I spoke with another tech friend of mine about...will give it a try. At least I will have the practice!:)

Puckstop - here is the article he told me about:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/storage/disaster_recovery/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=208403254

I am trying Photorec by Testdisc, mentioned on page 4.

I DO hope I can get the stuff back...but will give her several blank CDS for future backups.

Thanks all...

Catty1
03-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Well...the software is taking a few hours...the few images I have seen so far I checked with the client...she said it 'sounds like something'. I told her that maybe not ALL the stuff would be recovered, but that I was doing the best I could.

A bunch of viruses are being uncovered too...not sure if it's from the download, or if they are what gave her the blue screen of death to begin with!:eek:

And yes, I installed AVG 9.0 yesterday.

caseysmom
03-24-2010, 10:14 PM
I would be interested in that software...my hubby pulled the same stunt. No I didnt have backups and that was my job at work for years...

Catty1
03-24-2010, 10:27 PM
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Upper RHC - click on the 6.11

You will get a zip file; extract the files and open the folder. Open the win folder, and you will see the program - looks like a big eye. LOL

Back up the hard drive you are searching.

Here is PhotoRec Step by Step: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

blue
03-27-2010, 12:43 AM
I either cloned, Ghosted, or copied the hard drive I was working on so I would have a backup so I could avoid this issue. But no matter how careful you try to be carp happens. Its not your fault she didnt have a backup.

Catty1
03-27-2010, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I need to learn how to do that, or have one computer designated for this kind of recovery, and LABEL the HDs.

Here's the update from another post.

I ran the deleted files recovery program. Many of her photos were there - but a GAZILLION of them were from Facebook and Plentyoffish. TOO FUNNY! I guess when you look at a pic, it's stored in the computer cache.

"Aren't you glad a girl did this?" I grinned.

So all is well.

blue
03-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Glad it worked. Ill have to add it to my tool kit.

wombat2u2004
03-28-2010, 06:51 AM
"No no no.....please dad, don't take it to Candace. She'll wreck it !!!" :D

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/wombat2u2004/Comp.jpg

Hellow
03-28-2010, 05:59 PM
I have a few scripts/crontab jobs set up to automatically fully back my system up to one of my servers every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 2AM.

Catty1
03-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Colin, this was a client's computer - she will have a friend show her how to burn photos to a CD. She doesn't even know how to do that, and she's 42 years old!

I think she has incentive to learn now.....:rolleyes: