PDA

View Full Version : Rita Mae Brown books - question

Randi
03-22-2010, 03:59 PM
I went to the library and borrowed some Rita Mae Brown books. One is "Sour Puss" and the other are "Wish you were here", Rest in Pieces" and Murder at Monticello" all three in one huge book, 850 pages - not very good for reading in bed! :eek: I'll try to see if I can get those one book at a time.

Are there any particular order you suggest I read them? Or doesn't it matter?

Freedom
03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
OH YIPPEE!! Rita Mae Brown's books are fanstatic!

She writes 3 different series, and within a series, you should read them in order for proper character development.

1. Series co-written with her cat, Sneaky Pie Brown
2. Series re Sister Jane, foxhunting mysteries. This is AMERICAN not British fox hunting; the fox is NEVER killed! But, being a murder mystery series, sometimes humans are not so lucky, lol.
3. Mrs. Murphy series.

Here is a link to her web site. You should be able to tell which of the series you have from the cover. Then just click that series to learn the order to read them.

http://www.ritamaebrown.com/content/index.asp

Randi
03-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Thank you, I will have a look right now. :)

Looks like I should start with the big fat book - oh well!

Cataholic
03-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Freedom, thanks for that link and info!I like the series and will start a series all over.

Barbara
03-23-2010, 04:01 AM
I have not read all of them but many of them - and I think they are good fun and make you feel good after reading. (Of course you want to live in the countryside, being able to run a farm and have dozens of friends close at your hand- not out there on the internet ;))

Catherinedana
03-23-2010, 06:58 AM
If you enjoy her writing and want to explore Ms Brown further, I recommend "Six of One", an earlier book that is incredibly fantastic. Not a mystery. She also wrote the ever famous "Rubyfruit Jungle" which was ground-breaking but not as good as "Six. . .".

I couldn't get into her mysteries, but "Six . . ." is one of my all-time favorite books.

Randi
03-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Well, I started on the big one "Wish you were here" - didn't get very far, as both Fister and I couldn't get comfortable. He is used to me holding the book kind of upright so he can lay in front of me, but this book is simply too heavy. I may take it back and wait and see if I can get those, one book at a time.

Thanks for your comments anyway. I will check to see if they have "Six to one" also. So for now, I'll start "Men who hates Women" or "Sour Puss".

momoffuzzyfaces
03-23-2010, 12:03 PM
I thought the Sneaky Pie Brown ones and the Mrs. Murphy ones were the same. Isn't Mrs. Murphy the name of Harry's cat? It's been a while since I've read any. I love her books too. Well, the ones with the cats and dog anyway. :love:

Randi
03-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Moff, I was confused about this too. It says on the cover "Rita Mae Brown & Sneaky Pie Brown - Three Mrs. Murphy Mysteries in one volume". So yes, it is the same.