PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated

catnapper
03-21-2010, 08:31 AM
I went to the ENT this past week for my sinus issues and found out I have a deviated septum. I go for CT scans this coming week to confirm what the doctor suspects.

Meanwhile, I am all excited about finally having an answer to my sinus issues. I feel like a black cloud has lifted from me emotionally (no more wondering). Because of knowing whats wrong, I've been feeling much better.

So that leaves some close friends to tell me that there's absolutely nothing wrong with me..... its all in my mind. I want to scream at them! I still feel as miserable. Still have the sinus pain and pressure. Still snoring. Still completely and utterly exhausted all the time. I'm just happy instead of worried.

On top of it, I've been happy thinking I'll ungergo a surgery to fix my sinuses and the world will be glorious again. My friends are having a great time telling me how awful the surgery is and how it only has a small percentage of actually working. Of course they both have close family members who underwent the surgery and had to re-do the surgery a year later.

Its as if they are reveling in telling me that the surgery doesn't work and that my problems aren't real and they're all in my head. Well, technically, it IS in my head... my sinuses to be exact. They tell me that they think I enjoy the chaos being "sick" brings me. Are they kidding? Do they honestly think I ENJOY daily pain thats gone undiagnosed for years?

Sorry this was so long. I just had to vent. Thanks. :o

moosmom
03-21-2010, 08:35 AM
Kim,

Just ignore the idiots. Every situation is different. The best thing to do is write down any and ALL questions you have then talk with your doctor. Sometimes people can be such dufusses.

pomtzu
03-21-2010, 08:38 AM
A friend of mine had the surgery, and tho she was miserable for about a week after, said it was well worth it and she would do it again. She never had any problems after that, and it's been a good 10 or 15 years since her surgery. A few days of discomfort?? - seems that it would be worthwhile to be rid of all those problems for good.

Good luck!

Asiel
03-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Are you calling them friends?? True friends would never make such rude comments. Ignore them and tell them that you have all the information about it straight from your doctor and let them know that doctors don't have time to perform needless surgery because it's all in your mind. then just walk away from future references about your condition and your surgery.

Laura's Babies
03-21-2010, 08:51 AM
Like I told you before, my grand daughter had the surgery and it has helped her a LOT! She always sounded like she had a stopped up nose when she talked, even as a toddler but no one ever thought anything about it. In the last year she kept getting one sinus infection after another, always had a sinus infection. When they decided it was time to investigate the cause they found she had a deviated septum and seem to think that at sometime during her life, she broke her nose. Then surgery was scheduled and she was waaaay past ready to get it done. (You just get tired of being sick all the time, don't you... she sure did)

The ONLY thing I heard her complain about after surgery was wanting to blow her nose and that was a big NO-NO! She had to breathe through her mouth and that was uncomfortable and she wanted to blow her nose so she could breathe through her nose. She has not had ANY problems since the surgery.

So! Don't listen to all those who think they are helping by telling you those stories or that it is just in your head and you are not really having a problem. YOU know you ARE! I wish you nothing but good luck and pray your pain ends soon and you can put all this behind you soon.

Catty1
03-21-2010, 09:36 AM
You could always try, "My surgery is a private matter now. It's between me and my doctor. You don't have to concern yourself with it."

(The last line meaning NONEOFYOUREFFINBUSINESS!;) )

Grace
03-21-2010, 10:11 AM
I would have the surgery and find some new friends :)

Taz_Zoee
03-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Well mark me down as someone that knows someone that had a successful procedure. My friends stepdad had it done YEARS ago. And while he looked like he got in a fight with a thug for a while he has felt better ever since.

I like Candace's suggestion. :)

robinh
03-21-2010, 05:24 PM
I had the surgery done many years ago and it made the world of difference to me. I still have allergies that cause sinus problems, but I very rarely seem to get sinus infection any more. Before the surgery, I was sick all the time.

I also think your attitude going into surgery makes a huge difference. If you are sure it will make a difference and you will seem to have less problems than those who go into it with a bad attitude.

catnapper
03-21-2010, 05:37 PM
I told my one friend today that I didn't appreciate their poo-poo-ing my happiness. I told them a lot of people have had it successfully.

Now.... if only the other friend would shut his mouth. I mentioned that hubby is getting the LapBand eweight loss surgery sometime this year. He said "oh so you want him to become Adonnis yet you eat yourself into looking like a whale?" My chin his the floor. Did I fail to mention my one friend is a complete arrogant jerk with a sarcastic sense of humor? :rolleyes:

Taz_Zoee
03-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Now.... if only the other friend would shut his mouth. I mentioned that hubby is getting the LapBand eweight loss surgery sometime this year. He said "oh so you want him to become Adonnis yet you eat yourself into looking like a whale?" My chin his the floor. Did I fail to mention my one friend is a complete arrogant jerk with a sarcastic sense of humor? :rolleyes:

OMG!! :eek: And this person is STILL your friend why??? My chin hit the floor when I read this too. That totally sounds like something my father would say, but at least he's my father. That is NOT okay!!! :mad:

Catty1
03-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Don't even CALL that jerk a friend. :mad:

pomtzu
03-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Did you say "friend"???? OMG - I can't believe a friend would say that - even in a joking manner. With friends like that - who the h3ll needs enemies??? I'd drop that jerk like a hotcake!!! :mad:

Laura's Babies
03-21-2010, 07:19 PM
C'mon girl! You DO NOT need such negative friends. I just can't not believe someone said something like that to ANYBODY! THAT is NOT a friend!

Ooooo! The come backs I can think of for HIM! Bet I know his name too! "Mr. Perfect"....:rolleyes:

Asiel
03-21-2010, 08:12 PM
I told my one friend today that I didn't appreciate their poo-poo-ing my happiness. I told them a lot of people have had it successfully.

Oh man, I would be out of that person's life in a jiffy. I can't believe anyone would ever tell another person something so hurtful, don't see how you can call him a friend. Time to look around for new REAL friends. :eek:

catnapper
03-21-2010, 08:14 PM
I figured that would set you all off. Thing is, he's a coworker and I can't avoid him. My coworkers and I are all good friends.... more like a dysfunctional family. This guy rakes my nerves more than anyone else can. Hubby thinks he has a secret crush on me. Blech!

BUT I can count on him to be 100% uncensored honest. You cvan't expect that from too many people these days and I value honesty a lot. Though I would appreciate censoring the hurtful things. My manager's eyes bugged out when I told him about the whole whale comment.

Catty1
03-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Hmmm....might be time for the manager to bring in an outside professional to do a workshop on communicating? Or etc???

carole
03-21-2010, 09:34 PM
my mother had this operation a few years back, it was not very successful for her, but that does not mean it won't be for you, everyone is different, and i have heard both good results, and poor ones from people who have had it.

Gosh i think everyone on the planet has a deviated septum, it appears, i have been told that,my husband and nearly everyone you talk to has the same problem.

Sinus problems are not a laughing matter, and i hope you can get some serious relief, as it is the pitts. Good luck.

king2005
03-21-2010, 10:50 PM
My friend had a similar surgery (maybe even the same kind).. The chances are not great, but she said she didn't care cause 1yr of good sleep is better then the hell she is in now. Shes now going on 2yrs of relief & hasn't felt or been ill in a long time. Shes also lost a lot of weight cause of it too, cause she wasn't run down anymore :)

She said if it comes back (usually does), she'll get the surgery again. She said it's only 1 week of recovery in pain, but its soooooooooooooo worth it!!!

May your surgery go as well as hers did :)

momcat
03-22-2010, 02:08 PM
What a jerk to say something like that! Honesty is one thing but this isn't it. This creep is being intentionally hurtful and completely insensitive. Don't pay any attention to those who feel compelled to tell you negatives about the surgery. Trust your doctor, he knows you and what you need. Put all your questions and concerns to your doctor, he's the one with the medical school degree.
Wishing you good luck with the procedure!

Anikaca77
03-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I went through the lap-band surgery and so if you or your husband have any questions I can try to help. The only thing is emotionally they try to prepare you but still after a while some old habits come back and right now I'm finally trying to deal with them even though it's been 1 yr after my surgery and I've dropped 60 lbs. so far. I'm happy that I've been able to maintain that for now I keep wanting more to come off and it is but it's a very slow process, they said about 3 years. Which I now know why it takes that long because you have a fill and you think you are good and then you don't lose much weight and then you battle with your demons inside of you and I did that for about 6 months and now I'm slowly losing again and it just takes time.

Take care,
Melissa

orangemm
03-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Those comments are so rude and inconsiderate. I would have to speak up and tell this person that you do not appreciate his input and then just ignore him (whenever possible) and keep it on a "strictly business" basis. And, tell him and the rest of them that you get your medical advice from professionals.

What GALL!:mad::mad:

Did I fail to mention my one friend is a complete arrogant jerk with a sarcastic sense of humor?

No, he's just a cruel jerk.